How many of you LOVE the 830

bo_woods

Aug 14, 2014
Visit site
Everywhere I see, there are just folks hating on the 830, saying it's cheaply built, or has disappointing specs, etc.

So how many of you LOVE this device?

I've been considering it since spec/feature wise Lumia lines top three phones are the 1520,930, and 830, and they go, 1520=930>830... And since the first two are older and plagued, the 830 seems to be the best all around Lumia right now to use until the flagship release..

So how many of you are LOVING the Microsoft Lumia "Affordable Flagship"

(I understand Nokia is on the front) 😉

tangledW

Banned
Aug 11, 2014
Visit site
It's a love hate thing for me.

I like the design and build quality it's great for me, it's a very sturdy phone.

Specs and features suck though. The screen is garbage, capacitive buttons are constant problems, Bluetooth is terrible, the phone is really slow, etc.

For me though, it is the best option for a "new" Lumia until the flagships release.

buddy007

Apr 18, 2014
Visit site
The 830 is great, just that there isn't much other than the camera department that differentiates from the 730 and it is unbelievably expensive compared to 730/35 just for the improvements in camera. It is basically a disaster in terms of marketing and rightly so cause it doesn't have differentiating factor and the tag "affordable flagship" has completely shot off in the opposite direction.

Derausgewanderte

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
I love my L830. I hate myself for buying it through ATT. Big mistake I will not make again. ATT doesn't give a crap whether their customers have the latest possible OS or FW on their phones (if it is anything other than an iDevice), while at the same time both MS and ATT keep telling people about its Lumia Camera 5 capabilities when in fact it is crippled because of a missing fw update.

But, I still think it is a wonderful phone, solid build, aesthetically pleasing design. I like the fact I can change the back, the sdcard extension and battery life.

Last edited:

anon(123856)

Feb 9, 2013
Visit site
I'm very happy with mine except for the lack of the full Denim update. I find the phone quick enough, it has a nice display, removable battery, sd card support and I get pretty good battery life out of it. If I had Lumia Camera 5 I think I'd be super happy.

lbeezy2188

Apr 15, 2014
Visit site
It's a love hate thing for me.

I like the design and build quality it's great for me, it's a very sturdy phone.

Specs and features suck though. The screen is garbage, capacitive buttons are constant problems, Bluetooth is terrible, the phone is really slow, etc.

For me though, it is the best option for a "new" Lumia until the flagships release.

I think the 830 is a very nice phone it has all the features of a flagship minus the passive voice. It supports glance, removable battery and SD card which the 930 does not. Sure it doesn't have the fastest processor in the world but only gamers need that kind of power. As far as the screen LCD can look just as nice as amolded screens you just have to tweak it a little in the settings. The camera is outstanding with OIS and Lumia Camera 5. Overall I think it is best in class period its not even close

Giovanni830

Mar 15, 2015
Visit site
I really LOVE my 830! Everything is stable/fluide and the build quality is near perfect!
The only feature I would like to have is the passive listening for Cortana - that's all! I am really impressed by that phone and I have recently ordered the white and green back cover :) (Now I have black frame with black cover...)

Deepak

Jul 2, 2014
Visit site
I too love it a lot. I never regretted after buying it. :cool:

......it is unbelievably expensive compared to 730/35 just for the improvements in camera.

Not only for the camera. The facts that it's made of aluminium, has capacitive buttons, a dedicated camera button, Dolby digital audio support, NFC as well as built in Qi wireless charging also are the factors for it's high price than the 730/735.

It is basically a disaster in terms of marketing....

Yes it is. Totally agreed. They didn't even care to advertise it only because then Nokia's acquisition was done and completed. I don't know about other markets but in my country only the Lumia 730 was advertised on national television. Here people are not even aware of the Lumia 830 and 930. But they do know only about the 730 (and also the series of Microsoft branded phones) :unhappy:

Nokia used to readily advertise all of its phones without leaving behind even a single product. Which is why it had a very strong hold over our market. But Microsoft......... *sigh*. The new ads are also not much appealing and convincing as compared to those of it's android rivals and previous Nokia ads. They just use rubbish animations and simulations :eck:

Last edited:

tangledW

Banned
Aug 11, 2014
Visit site
I think the 830 is a very nice phone it has all the features of a flagship minus the passive voice. It supports glance, removable battery and SD card which the 930 does not. Sure it doesn't have the fastest processor in the world but only gamers need that kind of power. As far as the screen LCD can look just as nice as amolded screens you just have to tweak it a little in the settings. The camera is outstanding with OIS and Lumia Camera 5. Overall I think it is best in class period its not even close

I dont think you can say that only gamers need more processing power when the 830 takes so long to resume and render, even the start screen lags a little when scrolling to the bottom.

As for the screen and mentioning Glance, that's where the screen fails (and the processor I assume, because Glance isn't nearly ad fast as it was on my 822 - which wasn't a barn burner either), the whole screen lights up and the displayedtext isn't nearly as bright. Sunlight viewing isn't as good either.

hasasimo

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
Put it this way, the only device I'd consider over it is the 930 IF it had LTE (in the U.S.) and Glance. I've owned a 1520, and I still choose the 830 over it.

lbeezy2188

Apr 15, 2014
Visit site
I dont think you can say that only gamers need more processing power when the 830 takes so long to resume and render, even the start screen lags a little when scrolling to the bottom.

As for the screen and mentioning Glance, that's where the screen fails (and the processor I assume, because Glance isn't nearly ad fast as it was on my 822 - which wasn't a barn burner either), the whole screen lights up and the displayedtext isn't nearly as bright. Sunlight viewing isn't as good either.

You also cant forget the 830 has a dedicated camera button and supports wireless charging. It has the most features out of any mid tier phone at this time

christenmartin

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
Its a awesome phone. I came from a 1520 which I shattered. I heard the same noise. It's low cost and performs really well. You won't be disappointed. I would say the screen is as good if not better than any other Lumia and there is no lag with glance. That is compared to my 1520.3.

Last edited:

Blackadder_100

Mar 10, 2014
Visit site
I tried a 830 recently as a replacement for my 720. I really wanted to like it, and the features already mentioned are undoubtedly an upgrade, but...
1) I use Glance and the 830 was so slow to respond and the display was so dim.
2) The navigation buttons were very hit and miss in operation (not using a screen protector).
3) Poor viewing angles when sharing something around the table with friends.

My L720 has none of the above issues. As I say, I really wanted it to be my next device but sadly had to return it.

Last edited:

tangledW

Banned
Aug 11, 2014
Visit site
You also cant forget the 830 has a dedicated camera button and supports wireless charging. It has the most features out of any mid tier phone at this time

No doubt, I wouldn't have bought the 830 if it didn't have some great features. I will however, replace it the first chance I get with something better.

buffalosolja

Nov 20, 2013
Visit site
Same boat as you mine shattered (1520) yesterday loved that phone. Att is sending me an M9 (which I will sell) I picked up two 830s today one for my wife and one for me (she has the 1020 love/hate). And the 830 is solid but I am missing the lumia camera features on my 1520 BAD. I wish there was a way to enable those (damn you ATT) and this phone would be perfect for me.

Will Garcia

Jul 24, 2014
Visit site
I LOVE my 830. The only thing I hated about it was when I got it, proper Lumia Denim was not available (got a country variant - Philippines) at the time, but when I finally got the proper Denim update, it was more awesome.

Also, I managed to get 8.1 Update 2 via the Windows Insider app. After getting Update 2, I did a hard reset, and didn't reinstall the Windows Insider app. It's more awesome with it.

Pieter Wolff

Aug 9, 2013
Visit site
I tried a 830 recently as a replacement for my 720. I really wanted to like it, and the features already mentioned are undoubtedly an upgrade, but...
1) I use Glance and the 830 was so slow to respond and the display was so dim.
2) The navigation buttons were very hit and miss in operation (not using a screen protector).
3) Poor viewing angles when sharing something around the table with friends.

My L720 has none of the above issues. As I say, I really wanted it to be my next device but sadly had to return it.

I'm in the same position as you. My upgrade from my L720 is due and I'm in two minds which one is going to replace it; the 830 or 640.
Like you I really like the glance screen, the battery life and the screen size of the 720.
Wireless charging is a must which rules out the 640 and besides that I am not particularly fond of glossy finishes.
So, are you keeping your 720 or debating other options?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon