L640 Initial Set-Up Question?

LumiaGuy

Aug 23, 2013
Visit site
Am setting up my new L640. I inserted the old Sim card I was using in my old L520 and am being asked "Do you want to restore data from a previous phone or start from a clean slate?". Below that question there are the following three options - what do I do? Do I need to take my old Sim to the AT&T Store and have them transfer my contacts to the new Sim that came with the 640 and not use the old Sim? Do I use the new Sim and just retrieve my contacts from the Cloud/OneDrive?

Dave's Lumia 520
Nokia RM-915_nam_usa_228 Dec 01, 2015

Dave's Lumia
Nokia RM-915_apac_australia_new_zealand_215 Sep 02 2013

Don't Restore
Start fresh with your phone

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
I never restore from another phone back-up.
Always started fresh because backups seemed incompatible with a newer device.
This has been my past experience.

Good luck there...

LumiaGuy

Aug 23, 2013
Visit site
I never restore from another phone back-up.
Always started fresh because backups seemed incompatible with a newer device.
This has been my past experience.

Good luck there...

So, insert the new Sim card that came with my 640 and go from there?

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
It's really up to you of course. I had a 521 before I had the 640 and I restored from that backup without issues. I can't imagine losing all of my text history with numbers in there.

LumiaGuy

Aug 23, 2013
Visit site
It's really up to you of course. I had a 521 before I had the 640 and I restored from that backup without issues. I can't imagine losing all of my text history with numbers in there.

So, using the new Sim card, I lose any past text history? If so, there's nothing important there for me. Is that the only issue with not using the old Sim? I can back all my Contact info up to the new Sim using OneDrive, correct?

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
So, using the new Sim card, I lose any past text history? If so, there's nothing important there for me. Is that the only issue with not using the old Sim? I can back all my Contact info up to the new Sim using OneDrive, correct?
No, you shouldn't lose any of that, regardless of sim card. That info is backed up on OneDrive. You only lose text history if you choose NOT to back up your texts. To make things easier, you should just stay with your old sim card. Every phone I have gotten an extra sim with, I just put the SIM somewhere or leave it in the box.

MaryJane197

May 11, 2014
Visit site
I used the backup feature to restore my backup on mine. Only reason being is its not so simple to add custom ringtones. I had to get a friend to text me each one so i could save them on my phone as ringtones. So i restored my backup. No errors or glitches. I did this when i put the WP 10 on my phone. Its still easier to restore a Windows phone than it was to restore my iPhone, i will say that.

aybarrap1

Feb 19, 2014
Visit site
I give credit to MS for an easy backup/restore solution that works across their devices as well as pulling in information from other OS's such as contacts and text messages from Android. Works very well and is relatively simple to do.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon