10-05-2017 08:12 PM
162 12345 ...
tools
    I will go for Lumia because Lumia is popular than surface in most of countries as a smartphone brand .
    what you windows phone fans wants Microsoft to name new window phone if they have a plan to release new windows phone
    At this point I don't really care, but you know what it SHOULD be? Supported.............
    09-23-2017 07:13 PM
    I personally think the question is deeper than a name. The smartphone market is saturated with Android taking over 80-percent and iPhone taking pretty much the rest. A **smartphone** from Microsoft with *any* name would still have to contend *as* a smartphone where there would be little chance of success.

I believe a new category of device, running Windows 10, Andromeda, with CSHell on a pocketable PC with Continuum, that can be full PC when docked, phablet-sized handheld perhaps when folded and a tablet when unfolded differentiates the device on a more fundamental basis than what the name would accomplish alone.

With telephony it could still do what a phone does, but would be categoriacally a new type of pocket PC. With that positioning I would suggest the Surface branding so that it falls in line with the Surface family of devices under the Studio, Pro, Laptop and Hub as an ultramobile PC with a strong inking, digital notepad focus.

-----------------------------------------
    This is how Microsoft could position ultramobike PCs.

Microsoft needs to leverage partnerships, eSIM and edge computing to position ultramobile PCs:

https://www.windowscentral.com/surfa...tra-mobile-pcs
    They should name the device "NEXT" or "BeSet"
    Jason Ward likes this.
    09-23-2017 07:33 PM
    Surface Mobile (or similar) for a high end mobility device.

If Microsoft sees success and decides to create a mid-range device again they could leverage the Lumia name. I'm not all that confident they wouldn't mess this up however, their previous 'mid-range' devices like the 650, 830, 735 were all lackluster and overpriced.
    09-23-2017 07:46 PM
    The Lumia name and MS should never be said in the same sentence again. Don't get me wrong, I love my 950XL, but i think it's the to move on to something different. Since MS does seem to care very much about it's Surface brand, I would expect them to create something remarkably different and something that will make the consumer market really want to get their hands on one. That would mean, Continuum has to be a beast and work with all UWP apps Surface Pen support,
    Using the Lumia name at this point, I feel like MS will not put their all into it and just put something out that will get lost among the Android and iPhones currently on the market.
    09-23-2017 07:57 PM
    The Surface concept is to blur the line between a SmartPhone and a functional PC. That said, I would call it "The Bridge.'" New name for a new product.
    libra89 and Jason Ward like this.
    09-23-2017 08:26 PM
    The surface slab!
    09-23-2017 08:32 PM
    In terms of a branding aspect and leveraging on hype the term 'Surface phone' is perhaps as popular as it will get.

If Microsoft was planning to kill the Lumia line they could have done it the way Google phased out the Nexus. Let people know that they are hanging around for something better.
    09-23-2017 09:36 PM
    Lumia is NOT a failed brand. The software just didn't reach the boiling point it needed to in order to stay competitive. I'm open to the Surface branding but just the same I would also buy a Lumia.

Personally, I like where Windows 10 mobile is now. It works well in my everyday use. I love the UI and its ease of use. Like anything it either grows on you or not. When it fits well in your work and in your life then its good. Of course, I'm not the first to say "Where's the apps?!".
    cpcfan likes this.
    09-23-2017 10:06 PM
    Unless they can release a phone that people would love (I mean without the app gap) they should not compromise Surface Brand. The best hardware / OS are not warrant of success.
    09-23-2017 10:11 PM
    The perfect name would be "Stopthebloodclotwhining". A little long, but very apropos.

Sent from my HP Elite x3 on mTalk
    LOL! Somebody's been hanging around too many Jamaicans lately! ๐Ÿคฃ
    09-23-2017 10:30 PM
    Given a choice between Lumia and Surface, they'd be better off going with Surface. Why? Lumia died under Windows and is now riding the Android train with no intentions of coming back.
    09-23-2017 10:32 PM
    Neither! xPhone One!
    09-23-2017 10:46 PM
    I will go for Lumia because Lumia is popular than surface in most of countries as a smartphone brand .
    what you windows phone fans wants Microsoft to name new window phone if they have a plan to release new windows phone
    If lumia returns then should be 1050, 1530 (flagships) 850, 720. If surface then should be "surface pro phone" anyway which ever will be back....but it must have future ready techs and features (mostly for flagships) thanks. "I love Microsoft" and i need a phone to b jst way better then Samsung's note8/s8 & bull**** priced iphone X. (current device- lumia 1520)
    Last edited by Yash Dabhi; 09-23-2017 at 11:15 PM. Reason: i hate ios OS and apple brand
    09-23-2017 11:12 PM
    I could care less what the brand is. As long as it runs on ARM, has Windows 10 and Continuum, and a SIM, I will buy it day one.
    09-23-2017 11:18 PM
    If we are really talking about a new category, there are several issues to consider

Will the OEMS be actively entering the market at the same time? If so what will they be producing?

If the OEMS make good to great products at both high and mid level there is little to no reason for Microsoft to make any phones. The primary rational for the Surface line was to demonstrate high end aspirational devices at a time that OEMs were in area to the bottom. (They also pushed pen and Ink again, although other MS divisions, like Office, steadfastly resisted ink. Marketing gat aggressive and showed how well you circle and underline things.)

All, surface devices are aspirational premium devices with good build quality. (By all, I mean some. Surface laptop is no better than many ultra mobiles. It is pretty and fuzzy and Apple like, but not at all aspirational. Inking and pen use are difficult. I guess this filled a gap.)

All surface devices prices have a Surface Surcharge that is added to the appropriate premium price. This surcharge allows OEMS to copy and compete at a better price and still make a profit. (Me gut feeling is that the Surface Surcharge is abut 15-20% on computers and 40-60% on accessories.)

If OEMs are active and coming up with appropriate designs, A flagship "Surface" device will make fans happy, and is a good idea.

If OEMs are sluggish, or making poor devices, MS should make good competitively priced devises that illustrate their vision. These mid-tier competitively priced devices do not live up to Surface brand and will not be successful if they have to include the Surface surcharge. (MS could still do a Surface flagship, but not with out a good mid-tier device to sell to the general market.) I don't care what MS names these mid-tier devices. Lumia still means something outside the USA. I do not think X-Box would be good. I don't think HoloLens would be good. I guess that leaves Outlook, since that seems to be what MS names everything else.
    09-23-2017 11:57 PM
    I don't know why third party phone makers, don't just port over Windows 10 onto Android phones.
    09-24-2017 12:36 AM
    I'd build a Surface CPC with dual sim plus micro sd with a standard camera both sides. Plus modular and waterproof. And foldable. ๐Ÿ‘ Maybe an enterprise device is the best place to get a toe hold.
    09-24-2017 01:11 AM
    and throw in a sandwich. thanks.
    09-24-2017 01:16 AM
    Surface... That's the only logical brand.. ๐Ÿ™„๐Ÿ™„๐Ÿ™„
    09-24-2017 01:38 AM
    I believe Microsoft should keep the Lumia brand. One flagship, one midrange and a budget phone, as they had promised. The mid and low range phone should have named something like lumia 570 and 670. They should all run Andromeda OS. But the flagship should support windows hello, a lumia stylus and a continuum with 32 programs. And its name should've been Lumia Surface or Surface Lumia. It depends on how you advertise it. If you advertise it as a phone then the first. If it's advertised like an ultramobile PC with phone capabilities (Warditorial) then Surface Lumia.
    Nate W likes this.
    09-24-2017 02:12 AM
    Surface. By far.
    09-24-2017 02:17 AM
    I really don't know why any of you actually believe there will ever be another smartphone from Microsoft. In fact, I'll be completely shocked if there's another Windows smartphone from any reputable OEM. I've resigned myself to using my Lumia 1020 until it dies, and then I'll use my 950 until it dies. As far as decent WP devices go, what you see available now is going to be it.
    09-24-2017 03:37 AM
    *was popular
    09-24-2017 03:59 AM
    ******* no!
    09-24-2017 04:20 AM
    Lumia for me,
    09-24-2017 04:32 AM
162 12345 ...