Which is better name if Microsoft have plan to release new window phone (surface or Lumia )

LuxuryTouringZone

Jan 1, 2015
Visit site
Given a choice between Lumia and Surface, they'd be better off going with Surface. Why? Lumia died under Windows and is now riding the Android train with no intentions of coming back.

Yash Dabhi

Jul 17, 2015
Visit site
the best windows phone 📱

I will go for Lumia because Lumia is popular than surface in most of countries as a smartphone brand .
what you windows phone fans wants Microsoft to name new window phone if they have a plan to release new windows phone

If lumia returns then should be 1050, 1530 (flagships) 850, 720. If surface then should be "surface pro phone" anyway which ever will be back....but it must have future ready techs and features (mostly for flagships) thanks. "I love Microsoft" and i need a phone to b jst way better then Samsung's note8/s8 & bull**** priced iphone X. (current device- lumia 1520)

Last edited:

Chris Stevens1

Aug 6, 2014
Visit site
If we are really talking about a new category, there are several issues to consider

Will the OEMS be actively entering the market at the same time? If so what will they be producing?

If the OEMS make good to great products at both high and mid level there is little to no reason for Microsoft to make any phones. The primary rational for the Surface line was to demonstrate high end aspirational devices at a time that OEMs were in area to the bottom. (They also pushed pen and Ink again, although other MS divisions, like Office, steadfastly resisted ink. Marketing gat aggressive and showed how well you circle and underline things.)

All, surface devices are aspirational premium devices with good build quality. (By all, I mean some. Surface laptop is no better than many ultra mobiles. It is pretty and fuzzy and Apple like, but not at all aspirational. Inking and pen use are difficult. I guess this filled a gap.)

All surface devices prices have a Surface Surcharge that is added to the appropriate premium price. This surcharge allows OEMS to copy and compete at a better price and still make a profit. (Me gut feeling is that the Surface Surcharge is abut 15-20% on computers and 40-60% on accessories.)

If OEMs are active and coming up with appropriate designs, A flagship "Surface" device will make fans happy, and is a good idea.

If OEMs are sluggish, or making poor devices, MS should make good competitively priced devises that illustrate their vision. These mid-tier competitively priced devices do not live up to Surface brand and will not be successful if they have to include the Surface surcharge. (MS could still do a Surface flagship, but not with out a good mid-tier device to sell to the general market.) I don't care what MS names these mid-tier devices. Lumia still means something outside the USA. I do not think X-Box would be good. I don't think HoloLens would be good. I guess that leaves Outlook, since that seems to be what MS names everything else.

cpcfan

Sep 24, 2017
Visit site
I'd build a Surface CPC with dual sim plus micro sd with a standard camera both sides. Plus modular and waterproof. And foldable. 👍 Maybe an enterprise device is the best place to get a toe hold.

anon(10242418)

May 19, 2017
Visit site
I believe Microsoft should keep the Lumia brand. One flagship, one midrange and a budget phone, as they had promised. The mid and low range phone should have named something like lumia 570 and 670. They should all run Andromeda OS. But the flagship should support windows hello, a lumia stylus and a continuum with 32 programs. And its name should've been Lumia Surface or Surface Lumia. It depends on how you advertise it. If you advertise it as a phone then the first. If it's advertised like an ultramobile PC with phone capabilities (Warditorial) then Surface Lumia.

ScubaDog

Banned
Mar 24, 2011
Visit site
I really don't know why any of you actually believe there will ever be another smartphone from Microsoft. In fact, I'll be completely shocked if there's another Windows smartphone from any reputable OEM. I've resigned myself to using my Lumia 1020 until it dies, and then I'll use my 950 until it dies. As far as decent WP devices go, what you see available now is going to be it.

Amithsiji

Dec 25, 2012
Visit site
I will go for Lumia because Lumia is popular than surface in most of countries as a smartphone brand .
what you windows phone fans wants Microsoft to name new window phone if they have a plan to release new windows phone

Though Lumia is famous...it carries some bad reputation thanks Microsoft's lost focus...Ture most Windows Fans like the Lumia brand name but are we looking at releasing new flagship with advanced Windows OS just for the existing Windows fans? Or are we looking at expanding it to a larger target audience? If it the later then I would go with Surface thanks the good products in the same name and being accepted in almost everywhere....So Surface it is...

Nathan-NL

Feb 8, 2015
Visit site
Maybe one or two super high-end Surface models (not necessarily phones per se) and a new name for more traditional smartphones if no one else wants to make low-end and mid-range Windows phones.

Seanpod1954

Sep 24, 2017
Visit site
Surface is a stronger & more dominant brand than Lumia.
Lumia has connotations of Nokia.
Brand association with Surface would be more positive.
Surface phone would infer a strong association with Surface eco-system.
I vote Surface !

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Deryl McCarty