02-13-2014 01:45 PM
79 1234
tools
    When I use an iphone, the sheer lack of a back button to close an app when you are done using makes my brain hurt. The way you have to bounce back to the home screen, then open a task manager feature with a double tap. That is very very annoying.

Android is a whole other mess. Fragmentation, poor performance and more plague Android. While the newest generations of Android phones are getting better, I still just don't like the options.

Blackberry is something that I haven't really looked into much with the BB10. I think that there are bad times ahead for them...

This makes it sound like Windows Phone is just the least bad choice, but I don't consider it that way. I just really like the way the core OS operates. I like the concept of the hubs, even though it never quite worked out the way Microsoft had intended at the beginning. I really like the big informative tiles that display relevant information...if you were to look at the list of apps I use on a daily basis, it would not match how I use the phone. I use Weatherbug every single day, but I haven't launched the app in weeks.

I think WP8 got a big boost with Nokia and it's user experience. Their phones are just very well built, good looking phones. And their apps, like turn by turn GPS is just fantastic.
    snowmutt likes this.
    09-02-2013 10:42 PM
    Great navigation with Here Drive. I tried it offline in my home country (Indonesia) while travelling to an outside-of-town-beach-restaurant (Klapa, Uluwatu, Bali, anyone?). From the highway to the lowway, Here Drive correctly guided me to my destination.

I don't know, Google Maps may also do that online (haven't tried it). But having offline navigation, my mind is at peace during the driving (not worrying if there'll be blank spots along the way), and is concentrating more on driving (while listening to the direction). And, Here Drive spoken guidance is available in my language. Wow..
    09-03-2013 02:51 AM
    Nokia! Bye Bye :(
    09-03-2013 03:19 AM
    Ease of use period
    09-03-2013 03:35 AM
    Windows Phone has always drawn me back over the years. Off the top of my head:

Hardware- I love the variety of hardware, and I LOVE Nokia. So that makes it easy. While I wish I had flash at times, the form factor of the 520 is PERFECT. Love this phone.

UI- even with the defects, I prefer the look of this phone over all the other OS out there. Metro looks beautiful and makes even third party apps look better than the originals. The volume/music control, the font style, the consistency of performance from top line devices to low end. Just love it.

Customization- windows phone does this completely the way that I want. While android has a vast amount of options to change your device, its overwhelming. Organizing my live tiles the way I want with apps and my group contacts makes the phone feel like a phone made for me versus the length of time it takes to do with android. I also appreciate the lack of multiple notification areas. I'm glad that I can pick which apps I want to be alerting me about things versus having to clear EVERY APP NOTIFICATION in various places.

Overall this phone hits every point i need in a device. Regardless of what
    it can't do, it works for me

Sent from that other device using Tapatalk
    snowmutt likes this.
    09-03-2013 04:19 AM
    It's just my phone OS of choice.

I've always thought that iPhones were for people who want the same as everyone else. Androids are for people who want an iPhone but want to feel more aloof than iPhone owners.

I'm happy that MS have created something new and have broken away from the pack.
    cckgz4, snowmutt and Duvi like this.
    09-03-2013 05:22 AM
    1. Be unique, not a bunch of followers.
    2. Windows ecosystem, and as a developer on WP/W8 myself.
    3. Best keyboard in the market
    4. Lag free (sorry android, octa core still doesn't fix it)
    5. Best camera (Lumia 1020)
    cckgz4, MSFTisMIA and Duvi like this.
    09-03-2013 06:30 AM
    The Windows ecosystem, camera, keyboard, clean and smooth interface, and the live tiles. they keep me busy. I can never stop messing with my homescreen.
    snowmutt and Duvi like this.
    09-03-2013 08:33 AM
    Camera, ease of use, and a 2 year contract!
    tgp and Duvi like this.
    09-03-2013 08:35 AM
    I am new to WP, but I am very happy.

What appeals to me over other phones and ecosystems is:

Good looking & well built Nokia phones
    Good cameras
    Easy to use UI, which looks OK
    Integration with my laptop
    reasonable price to purchase handset
    Fluid OS with no lag
    It's not Android/Google based (who want to know everything about me)
    The apps (at least seem to) give the impression of not gathering info on me while I use them
    snowmutt likes this.
    09-03-2013 08:43 AM
    I like the OS very much for it's simplicity and no nosense approach. One thing I hate about the OS 7.8 is lack of facility to transfer word or excel documents from PC to mobile. Only way to share the docs is via SkyDrive or Box... And both of these things are useless if you internet connection is not working

Sent from my GT-I8350 using Tapatalk
    Duvi likes this.
    09-03-2013 08:49 AM
    I love the look and style of wp8. It is so refreshing to look at compared to how Android and iphone looks. I also love the keyboard! Switching from an Android phone, I thought I would really miss swype but it turned out that the wp8 keyboard was amazing. Plus, I like having a different phone compared to the numerous amount of iphones I see on a daily basis.
    Duvi likes this.
    09-03-2013 10:15 AM
    WP freshness, Navigation And Camera.
    When a kid is born and when he/she grow up, you have lot of excitement everyday. I get that feel of something new everyday by using WP. Iphone and Android are like teenagers (ha ha)
    Duvi likes this.
    09-03-2013 10:23 AM
    Well,having used both android and Nokia belle fp2, I have the following reasons:

1) no lag in windows o.s...comparing to even android...even the animations to open the apps and for switching screens are quicker
    2)somehow, I don't prefer ios, maybe because it is kind of bland and restricts users to stay within the apple ecosystem unless u pay for stuff,be it apps or adapters..
    3)I have the best of everything in my 1020
    4)if only the battery life was better (even by about 500 mah or so) and the contract price was reduced by 50 usd, most smartphone users will seriously consider windows phone.
    5)the live tiles are just more professional than funky animated widgets to me.
    6)oh, and it looks and feels awesome too.
    Duvi likes this.
    09-03-2013 10:38 AM
    Because I've got tired of IOS and android!

Sent from my Lumia 800 using Tapatalk
    TechGeek23 and Duvi like this.
    09-03-2013 10:55 AM
    The camera, Xbox Music Pass and Nokia.

I've been tempted by Android for a while now and now that Nokia as we know it is not longer the same, the reasons for staying are smaller. That said, I still might get a 1020 because of the camera.
    Duvi likes this.
    09-03-2013 11:19 AM
    Im here for the apps...

No seriously I am...

Cant play Halo on any other platform baby!!!
    09-03-2013 11:28 AM
    -I love the OS. It is fast simple and looking cool.
    -Apps. Yeah apps. I think apps on windows phones look better than other phones. Like twitter ,facebook etc.
    -Colorful phone,looking good,and cheap (Lumia 520)
    -It is very different then other phones like android phones and iPhones. Everybody has a iPhone or Galaxy I am bored to see that phones.

Sent from my RM-914_eu_turkey_355 using Tapatalk
    09-03-2013 11:30 AM
    I like the fluid experience. I like its simplistic UI.

I do not like how even the People Hub is not the same experience as the other social media apps out there. There is a ton of stuff you can't do with People Hub as opposed to the web or even a WP app. I REALLY like the People Hub though. I'm hoping it will encompass more of the features of an app or web experience.
    Duvi likes this.
    09-03-2013 11:32 AM
    I got with WP8 because I just bought a new Windows 8 touch screen all in one HP and I wanted a phone that would match up with it the best. I choose a Nokia 820 because I wanted a little bit smaller phone but still with a nice size screen. I was going to get a Galaxy GS3 Mini; but I could not find one anywhere (still don't see any) and the WP8 OS would work better with my new computer. I have nothing against Android as I have two android tablets. This is my first smartphone. The only thing I have been disappointed so far (three months) is AT&Ts very slow distribution of phone updates. But the phone works very well, and it is very smooth in operation. I think I am happy to see Nokia become a division of Microsoft, (we will see in the future), The fact that WP8 has less apps is not a issue as I firmly believe 95% of the apps available are worthless. I have no problem finding the apps I need for my phone; and I am used to the glut of apps available in Android for my two tablets. He's hoping the future will be just as good or better.
    Duvi likes this.
    09-03-2013 11:40 AM
    Integration of Skype, Skydrive, One Note, Office, Email, all the most important apps I need are in Windows Store, and XBOX music works so much better for me as it gives me a jukebox view and allows me to quickly sort by genre or band and get music I want fast to play a list in my car. Plus the camera and camcorder are very great on the Lumia 928. The functions are better than iphone as well as the phone is more configurable. I do wish I could change my notifications and use ringtones for them. Had a few fun things I wanted to do with that but hope an update fixes that. WP8 is very easy to use and everything just looks better and is more organized than the other platforms. I am former Android and tested an iphone for 3 months and hated it. I got this phone and I am sold!
    09-03-2013 11:49 AM
    It's the Nokia Thing
    - Great Support
    - Camera
    - Durability & Design

Windows Phone OS
    - Buttery Smooth
    - Beautiful Metro Style OS
    - Start Screen with Live Tiles (Change mine every month)
    - Integration of the People Hub
    - SkyDrive Integration
    09-03-2013 11:50 AM
    I stay with Windows Phone because it works for me; it has the right mix of features, functions, and benefits for my needs. I stay with Windows Phone because I run Windows 8/RT on every machine I have, and it works for me; the UI fits my workflow, the Microsoft account/SkyDrive keeps me in sync, and I like having the same experience on each device.

Plus, I'm a developer and I'm starting to focus on WP development. It wouldn't make sense to develop for WP but not use the platform, heh.
    snowmutt, Laura Knotek and Duvi like this.
    09-03-2013 12:20 PM
    Simple reason - Its different...
    In an industry dominated by glorified app-launchers - WP dares to be different with its Live tiles, Metro UI and single-minded design principles.
    Love it or hate it, you have to stand up and take notice ..
    Its not an evolution , its a revolution !
    09-03-2013 01:49 PM
    The OS is very good, better than what I expected, but the app market is still lacking quality and microsoft doesn't seem to give a rats *** about the multitude of fake apps pestering around the store while blatantly using brands that they couldn't possibly own.

I prefer Windows Phone to Android but I also prefer iOS to Windows Phone. Truth be told, regardless of my preferences I think all three of them are solid and I would have gotten an HTC One or an iPhone if I had the money for them but in my current situation I just had to get the phone with the best best quality/price ratio and in my opinion that was the Samsung ATIV S for 212.

This is what keeps me on Windows Phone for now. In a year, when I'll have more money available, we'll see if the app situation has gotten better. If not... well, I won't be using windows phone anymore because even though I really like it I value the availability and variety of quality apps more than the OS itself.
    09-03-2013 02:40 PM
79 1234