1020 Battery Issues

Alex Rodriguez Jr.

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site
That system status is so arbitrary & so reliant on the last 2 minutes of use, that its useless. You can drain 10% using the phone for an hour, it'll say X amount of time. Go into a meeting, don't touch your phone, & it'll triple. Don't go by that, go by real life use. Also, its fairly obvious the battery will drain faster when the phone is being used.

shadyghost

Apr 10, 2012
Visit site
I can affirm that each phone must have different battery performances. I exchanged my phone due to heat problems and dust under the lens and screen and now the phone I have barely lasts 5 hours under decent use. My prior one lasted more than a day. I swear I must have the worst luck on the planet. Now I have less dust under the lens, no dust under the screen, excellent call quality but a crap battery. I've tried restarting, reinstalling sim turning off everything etc. Next I will hard reset. I doubt that will work though. Today is my final day in the 14 trial period to, so it looks like refurbished from here on out. YAY.

B1zzle

Jul 21, 2013
Visit site
I can affirm that each phone must have different battery performances. I exchanged my phone due to heat problems and dust under the lens and screen and now the phone I have barely lasts 5 hours under decent use. My prior one lasted more than a day. I swear I must have the worst luck on the planet. Now I have less dust under the lens, no dust under the screen, excellent call quality but a crap battery. I've tried restarting, reinstalling sim turning off everything etc. Next I will hard reset. I doubt that will work though. Today is my final day in the 14 trial period to, so it looks like refurbished from here on out. YAY.

how are you getting dust in these places? do you live in the dustbowl? i see no way for this build to get dusty in said places.

on another note

my battery life is weird, one day it lasts forever, the next its 50% gone midday at work doing the same things the day prior sittinng on my desk which equates to not using it much.

shadyghost

Apr 10, 2012
Visit site
how are you getting dust in these places? do you live in the dustbowl? i see no way for this build to get dusty in said places

"I" am not getting dust into said places, so the fact you can see no way for this build to get dusty (being the build quality expert you seem to be) is irrelevant. The phones have the dust built into them which means the quality control standards are not up to my desired levels, and considering I just dropped a premium for this phone I don't find my desire to not have particles of dust inside the only reason I bought the phone unreasonable.

As far as the debris between the glass and the lcd panel, this is by no means a new or shocking problem. I can probably find small particles in nearly every phone if I looked hard enough, it just becomes annoying when they are big enough to block parts of text on the screen. Speaking of screens, I just noticed something that sheds some light on the splotchy dark spots that I will be posting in the bugs and defects for anyone interested. Cheers.

Quinlan00

Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
I have fine battery life and I use things like the glace/peek stuff. One common practice I do is that whenever I use a GPS app or any HERE (Nokia) app, I reboot the phone. If I do that, I haven't been really having any difficulty.

bkydcmpr

Nov 30, 2011
Visit site
I'm having a terrible battery drain right now. Just 2 days ago I had my best record for 2 days and 16 hours without charging, but now the battery drained from 33% to 18% in 41 minutes! What's going on Nokia? Why is it so inconsistent? I have the same background tasks (3 of them) running as 2 days ago! Never seen anything like this with my old Focus S in 1 and half years.

chocka

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
I had battery issues for the first few days. The phone was getting hot and will lose the charge in 10 hrs. I found that changing the email sync setting every 15 mins did the trick. By default it was set to continuously scan for incoming emails.

AllanUSC

Jul 28, 2013
Visit site
My battery problem is a little different than the draining problems reported here.

I've noticed some strange battery charging issues a couple of times.

Usually I plug in my phone's charging cable and from a 50% charge, a couple of hours later, it's at a 100% charge.

However, a couple of times, after more than two hours, it seems stuck at 95%. Then last night I plugged in my phone at a 50% charge and went to sleep. A full EIGHT hours later it was only at 74%.

I left the phone plugged in and checked the battery settings and verified that it was at 74%. Battery saver has never been on for this phone. I didn't change any settings and left the phone alone. An hour later I checked again and the phone was at 100%.

Does anyone have any idea of what's going on here? Why does the phone seem to charge so inconsistently? Are there any settings I can change to fix this?

Any information would be appreciated.

thegeekybeng

Aug 14, 2013
Visit site
Hi guys,
I am a fellow Lumia 1020 user from Singapore. Bought the phone from Negri Electronics recently. After a 04 days of usage, I had experience the sudden overheating of the phone and intense drain of the battery from 100% to 30% in just under 3 hrs. Initially I put it as the network chip as being non-compatible with Singapore's LTE network due to different bandwidth ... but however, as I brought the phone on a short holiday from the 05th day to 09th day of owning it, i had it on Flight mode most of the time and only used the camera for photography however the problem still persisted. So much so that I totally gave up on using it even as my GPS in the rental car that I have gotten and stuck on with crappy Google Maps on the spare Xperia Z i brought as a tethering device.

This is my 10th day of using this phone and I must say, I am thankful for all your information that I found here. I do think that some of the AMBER features are the culprit behind as right now I can feel the phone's immediate cooling of temperature after I had switched off the GLANCE and DOUBLE-TAP to wake up.

If anyone else has other things to add, it would be delightful.

Many thanks,
From Singapore.

LastBattle

May 26, 2012
Visit site
aqx6.png

k40h.png

Anyone care to share your stats? Mine seems rather acceptable.

If its an email syncing issue, what email provider are you using? How often do you let it sync?

tgr42

Jul 31, 2012
Visit site
I'm seeing about 1.2 to 2% drain per hour, which I'm very happy with. I have wi-fi set to always be connected, LTE, two email accounts (Outlook.com and Exchange Server) set to check every 15 minutes, double tap to wake, and everything else disabled. No background tasks except for Weather Wallpaper which I recently added, and it doesn't seem to cause any trouble. No apps or browser sessions left running.

I'm currently charging the phone overnight once every 2 days. I was in the habit of leaving my phone on the charger every night but lately I've been wondering if that's bad for the long term health of the battery. I wish there was more solid information about that. In my opinion, devices should be smart enough to charge themselves in a way that is optimal for long term battery health. It doesn't sound like it's the case, though. I guess this is one of the downsides to getting a phone without a removable battery... having to worry about this. Samsung does a better job there.

Yetamedi

Apr 16, 2013
Visit site
I had similar issues with my 920 (mysterious battery drain, 100%-low battry warning in less than 5 hours off the charger, back of the phone heating up substantially, even just surfing the net, etc.) and found that if I restarted the phone every 2-3 days it behaved a little better.

Now with my 1020 I am having much much better battery life. The phone easily lasts the entire day with plenty of battery left over by the time I go to bed (5am-9:30pm, usually with 35-50% left over). This is with glance on, wifi on, blue tooth on, LTE on all day. I did go in an lock down several background tasks but that is my only concession to battery saving so far. Now having said all that, I will say that this phone also will randomly restart itself from time to time. I have seen it do it in the middle of the night on the charger (the bright screen wakes me up) or just sitting on the desk at work. I can count about 6 times so far that it has done that (that I have noticed at least), but none while I was using it so far. I think the OS does get "hung" on certain processes sometimes and needs a restart to free itself. I would also note that as a computer enthusiast, not all processors are made equal. The same processor can be made in different batches that have different characteristics. Some batches might be great for overclocking because they were actually binned for higher clocked chips but they needed more lower clocked chips, as an example. Anyway my point is that I don't know what type of "acceptability" qualcomm is using when they test batches of these ARM processors. Some may struggle slightly to maintain the required speed, while others may do so with ease.

Just tossing my theory out there.

tgr42

Jul 31, 2012
Visit site
Regarding manufacturing variability, that is 100% Nokia's responsibility. They should have automated tests that stress all components and ensure that every single phone coming off the line conforms to design parameters and acceptable operational limits. Phones that do not pass such tests should never end up in the hands of customers. And if Qualcomm or any other component vendor can't supply parts that are reliably verifiable with such testing, it's Nokia's responsibility to find something else that is.

I don't know how good of a job Nokia actually does with this, but it is their responsibility. Shifting that burden onto customers would be a terrible long term mistake.

Yetamedi

Apr 16, 2013
Visit site
I am not suggesting in anyway that customers should bear that burden. I am just saying that ARM processors in general are very low cost processors and I rather doubt that they would have the quality control that Intel would use to check their chips with. I am fairly sure that there are tolerances that the processors have to operate within to be deemed "ok" for use in our phones. However we do not now how tight or loose those tolerances are. One batch may be barely acceptable, but still fall within those parameters they are testing them with. Another might excell. The weaker chips might require a small voltage bump to achieve the same performance, but conversely also produce more heat as a result (again perhaps all within the testing parameters).

ALpHa.Q.RoUgH

Jan 21, 2012
Visit site
It seems as though you guys are having great battery life due to now allowing background tasks. Is there a benefit to having background taks allowed or not allowed? I thought that is what effected live tiles and what not.

Currrently I have:

CNN
Engadget
Foursquare
Locksider +
Metrotube
MyTube
Simple Calendar
Weather Flow
WPCentral
YouTube

All allowed in background tasks and my battery while on low brightness lasts about 8 hours, while on high brightness lasts about 6 hours with moderate use with maybe a game or 2 of FIFA and 3 emails synced once every 30 minutes.

tgr42

Jul 31, 2012
Visit site
Modern devices have a deep sleep state in which they consume very little power. To minimize power consumption, you want your device to spend as much of its time in that state as possible. Every background task, by definition, represents an opportunity to leave that state. Who knows what these apps are doing in their background tasks, how long their actions take, and how often they're doing it. The app developers almost never tell us, the OS doesn't tell us, so the only thing we can do is block them and guess/hope based on the resulting change in battery life. It's not a very good way of doing things in my opinion. I'm sure there are many harmless background tasks but, given the lack of information, I'd rather just block everything that isn't absolutely needed than try to figure out what is safe or suffer with poor battery life.

LastBattle

May 26, 2012
Visit site
I only allow apps that does meaningful things in the background, such as updating tiles that I need. :)

Microsoft should really get developers to prompt user on the app enabling background task (like location), it gets kinda annoying having to check that once in a while.

prakashdg

Aug 13, 2013
Visit site
I too had the battery issues at the beginning...battery drain of around 40 % on one night on standby after first charge, no apps running and so on.

but the drain started to get less worse with subsequent charges, and is now holding up fine, with an overnight drain of around 6% (glance set to peek, all background apps disabled, battery saver off), and I am getting around 25 %battery left after 12 hours of use (light surfing the web, taking maybe 10 to 15 pictures (max 2 or 3 with flash on and maybe 30 secs of video), brightness set to automatic, background apps disabled, checking emails every hour or so, and making maybe 5 to 6 calls of around 3 minutes each, texting, and of course browsing for apps for maybe 30 minutes)

i did change the sync settings to every 15 mins for my most important mail account and to 30 minutes to an hour for the other mail accounts and this might have made the difference...but I m not sure if the battery needed a "run-in" period like motorcycles to perform optimally, although i wouldn't know why.

ANDYS01

Sep 25, 2013
Visit site
Hi all, I have just got Lumia 1020 for about 5 days, my battery only last about 10-12 hours standby only
from a fully charge about 2 hours. Try to improve the battery, I don't use and turn off to test almost
of everything I could think of, wifi, nfc, bluetooth, double tap to wake, disable background task,
no live tile, soft reset, hard reset, low on screen, xbox game off, xbox music video off, no vibrate,
fight mode, power saving, etc all the stuff people suggest.
My question, is it normal 10-12 hours standby only from a fully charge?
Or am I still miss some setting?
Or I got a bad battery should return the unit?
I love the phone, quality build, great experience,
smooth, no hang, everything great, only the battery
Please advice me, Thanks in advance

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes