When will AT&T Lumia 830 get PROPER Denim update?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ashram

Jan 30, 2013
Visit site
To me this just sounds more like "we are still working on it". The rest of the information is standard operating procedure. I only believe this if I see it.

possibly, but, unless the person misrepresented him or herself, Executive Appeals is a lot higher than the BBB reps. Considering a claim for binding arbitration was sent, it may be a last stop before bothering legal with it. Also, the most detailed reply from at&t. well, what's 2-3 weeks more to find out if it was true or pure crap. Well, based on the info given, they have up to 30 days before arbitration goes forward.

SunnyB

Aug 29, 2015
Visit site
The only difference I can see thus far is when on a conversation the phone drops from LTE as normal but instead of the 4G icon, I get the H+ or H icon.
The RM-985 has different LTE capabilities than the RM-983. Whether it affects you depends on your carrier network and the LTE band of the tower you are connected to. For example, the RM-983 supports carrier aggregation on the AT&T network and the RM-985 does not, and this might affect heavy data users on AT&T.

anon(123856)

Feb 9, 2013
Visit site
To me this just sounds more like "we are still working on it". The rest of the information is standard operating procedure. I only believe this if I see it.
And if they are indeed "still working on it" the absolute worst thing they could have done was play it coy and not provide any actual information. If AT&T had actually communicated what was/is going on 830 users (myself included) might have been a whole lot more understanding. Jerking us around only creates more cynicism and the belief that all they are doing is jerking us around.

SunnyB

Aug 29, 2015
Visit site
So if they would have said they were working on it, and then they didn't have an update after several months, you wouldn't have accused them of "jerking us" around then? Right....

It's a no win situation for them. Just keep your fingers crossed that it gets resolved soon.

ashram

Jan 30, 2013
Visit site
So if they would have said they were working on it, and then they didn't have an update after several months, you wouldn't have accused them of "jerking us" around then? Right.....

Problem is, since the BBB reps and social media team know squat and have said everything from "working on it" to "wait for an announcement" to "nope, not happening" and everything in between. So AT&T have been jerking us around since day 1 with no real answer or support.

Would love to get a hold of the team at Microsoft responsible for sending the code to AT&T to see when the code was sent and to who, in order to ask that specific team in AT&T "what the hell?"

anon(123856)

Feb 9, 2013
Visit site
So if they would have said they were working on it, and then they didn't have an update after several months, you wouldn't have accused them of "jerking us" around then? Right....

It's a no win situation for them. Just keep your fingers crossed that it gets resolved soon.
Way to completely turn my post back on itself. No, what I meant is if they had offered us actual, detailed information about whatever supposed technical issue they had some of us might have cut them slack. "Were working on it" or "stay tuned" for eight months does not constitute actual information in my book. Their user forums are full of people asking for information and receiving the same "stay tuned" response. AT&T had plenty of opportunities to provide interested users some reality based information and opted not to. OK?

And as far as keeping my fingers crossed, that ship has sailed. I already left AT&T.

Derausgewanderte

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
"Were working on it" or "stay tuned" for eight months does not constitute actual information in my book.
You can only cry “Wolf” so many times, ATT, before people stop listening to you, and in many of these cases walk away. Another issue is that ATT is way too big to care about the small marketshare that WP has. All resources and effort are spent on a million dollar player who needs a fix, while the underdog can play just a little longer...and longer....

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Another issue is that ATT is way too big to care about the small marketshare that WP has. All resources and effort are spent on a million dollar player who needs a fix, while the underdog can play just a little longer...and longer....

Here is my thought on this debacle:

WP already has a relatively small market share and low numbers among AT&T customers. Then, from that take the number of WP users who have 830's. Then, out of those, consider how many know about Denim or W10M, or care about it. It's probably almost nil. AT&T probably knows that even if they have to refund or replace the devices of their customers complaining about it, it's still less cost than fixing the problem (in other words, providing full Denim and later W10M).

Another possibility is that a class action lawsuit is filed against AT&T on behalf of their 830 customers. If I were one of those customers, this would be the last thing I would want to happen. What usually happens is that the lawyers get half of the settlement, and the "victims" divide the rest, which amounts to a tiny amount each. A couple times I've had settlements come through as a credit on my credit card. Each time I can remember, the amount was less than 1 USD.

ashram

Jan 30, 2013
Visit site
Here is my thought on this debacle:
Another possibility is that a class action lawsuit is filed against AT&T on behalf of their 830 customers. If I were one of those customers, this would be the last thing I would want to happen. What usually happens is that the lawyers get half of the settlement, and the "victims" divide the rest, which amounts to a tiny amount each. A couple times I've had settlements come through as a credit on my credit card. Each time I can remember, the amount was less than 1 USD.

I think there is a clause in AT&T's Terms of Service that prevent Class Action Lawsuits. Something all the big, customer hating companies are doing as of late.

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
You might want to check AT&T Mobility LLC v. Concepcion, 563 U.S. 321 (2011). I haven't read (or Shepardized) it recently. But, sadly, I believe AT&T won that one.

I investigated after posting my reply out of curiosity and it does appear that courts support these clauses. But not all the time. You'd find out pretty quickly what class action lawyers think if you approach them. Damages would be low so it's probably not worth their time.

A small claims court filing might get a win but is it worth the time and trouble.

It looks like we'll get WM10 which enables the missing features anyway...

ashram

Jan 30, 2013
Visit site
I investigated after posting my reply out of curiosity and it does appear that courts support these clauses. But not all the time. You'd find out pretty quickly what class action lawyers think if you approach them. Damages would be low so it's probably not worth their time.

depending on the reasoning of the class action, the courts may bypass the clause, but even then, it's an uphill battle, that probably isn't worth the time/effort/cost

Gilbriem

Jun 19, 2015
Visit site
I think we need at least one more person to file arbitration to see if the response is consistent. That would be telling...

oldpueblo

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
The biggest issue with communication is that people have to make decisions all the time. A different phone is on sale, do I stick with what I have or not. My 830 broke do I get another 830 or use this opportunity to get something else? Having no or vague communication really puts people into a choice paralysis situation.

ashram

Jan 30, 2013
Visit site
The biggest issue with communication is that people have to make decisions all the time. A different phone is on sale, do I stick with what I have or not. My 830 broke do I get another 830 or use this opportunity to get something else? Having no or vague communication really puts people into a choice paralysis situation.

Well, not communicating provides the carrier something they want... the chance to sell you the latest and greatest/most profitable (for them) device you can afford and a contract renewal.

AT&T doesn't want you to stay on an 830.... they want to sell you something new and renew your contract in the process.

Gilbriem

Jun 19, 2015
Visit site
Well, not communicating provides the carrier something they want... the chance to sell you the latest and greatest/most profitable (for them) device you can afford and a contract renewal.

AT&T doesn't want you to stay on an 830.... they want to sell you something new and renew your contract in the process.

While there is a certain logic to that, it also doesn't make sense. That only works for the subset that just outright buys phones whenever they feel like it. Under a contract, or even under the shortest Next plan, the 830 isn't eligible to be traded in/replaced yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes