Windows 10 for Lumia Icon

speedfrk305

Jul 10, 2016
Visit site
Here's another bug- was trying to make a call in my car (Ford with SYNC) and it locked the phone up on the Cortana screen. None of the buttons did anything. Finally went blank and wouldn't wake, restart, anything. I did the wake button/vol dwn trick and it started. Seems ok now but it is sooo much buggier than my 822 on 8.1. I may have to switch back because the phone is just not reliable like this.

SteveNoza

Jul 16, 2014
Visit site
Ok, so I'm late to the party for this update. I haven't been on the site in a while and thought I had read that an official Windows 10 update wasn't coming to the Icon (or maybe that was just the normal doom and gloom :wink: ). I'm reading the comments though and I'm wondering if it's worth it. My battery life was lessened when I switched to 8.1 and I don't want it to lose much more, although I understand there will be some loss. It also seems like it is rather buggy. Should I go ahead and download it, or should I wait until a further update, if there is one on the horizon? Also, how hard would it be to go back to 8.1?

Battery has been good for me, but as with any major update on a smartphone you will likely burn through your battery quickly the first day or two. I upgraded mine on a Friday night so it had the whole weekend to "set". The only negative I've noticed is I need to do soft resets every few days, everything else is great!

DCTonkaTruck

Jun 21, 2014
Visit site
I want to follow up a bit on my post from yesterday.

I ended up doing a hard reset in my office and the phone came up but said it couldn't find a SIM card. It then continued to reboot every few minutes as long as it was plugged into a charger. I decided that after I got done with work, I'd take a chance on going down to the Verizon store to see if they could help.

The Verizon guy pulled the SIM card out and put it back in. The phone then came online and stayed online without rebooting. I thought, well, maybe the hard reset finally took and now it's stabilized. So, I abandoned my plans to simply buy a new phone (or to buy a crappy phone and wait until Verizon finally gets a high-end Windows Smart Phone).

As I started loading in my different email accounts, the intermittent rebooting started again. So, I've cut down the number of accounts that my phone checks and it seemed to stabilize a bit... until this morning.

I've made a last ditch effort to try and go to the Insider Slow Ring in the hopes that there are enough changes in the build from the reset release that maybe this issue has been resolved, but it doesn't seem to have made any kind of difference. I am now on OS 10.0.10586.494. I've been deleting Apps left and right to see if it will stabilize the phone, but I think this thing is just DONE. I'm toying with the idea of trying to limp along to 8/9 and see if the anniversary release to windows mobile comes to Verizon and hoping that makes a difference, but I'm not sure I have much reason to hope.

I would definitely appreciate any advice y'all might have.

-P

dksf42

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
I want to follow up a bit on my post from yesterday.

I ended up doing a hard reset in my office and the phone came up but said it couldn't find a SIM card. It then continued to reboot every few minutes as long as it was plugged into a charger. I decided that after I got done with work, I'd take a chance on going down to the Verizon store to see if they could help.

The Verizon guy pulled the SIM card out and put it back in. The phone then came online and stayed online without rebooting. I thought, well, maybe the hard reset finally took and now it's stabilized. So, I abandoned my plans to simply buy a new phone (or to buy a crappy phone and wait until Verizon finally gets a high-end Windows Smart Phone).

As I started loading in my different email accounts, the intermittent rebooting started again. So, I've cut down the number of accounts that my phone checks and it seemed to stabilize a bit... until this morning.

I've made a last ditch effort to try and go to the Insider Slow Ring in the hopes that there are enough changes in the build from the reset release that maybe this issue has been resolved, but it doesn't seem to have made any kind of difference. I am now on OS 10.0.10586.494. I've been deleting Apps left and right to see if it will stabilize the phone, but I think this thing is just DONE. I'm toying with the idea of trying to limp along to 8/9 and see if the anniversary release to windows mobile comes to Verizon and hoping that makes a difference, but I'm not sure I have much reason to hope.

I would definitely appreciate any advice y'all might have.

-P

Personally, I'd take it back to Verizon, it's possible that you may have a defective SIM?

js14873

Jul 29, 2015
Visit site
Yes, I have my Icon, and a Garmin Fenix 3 HR. Notifications are very intermittent......sometimes non-existent. And it doesn't matter whether the Garmin app is open or not. Its not just the Garmin though; I have the same problem with my MS Band 2. I even did a hard reset and reinstalled everything. For a day or so I had no notifications at all, but now they are working...sometimes. Sometimes I'll get the notification on both, sometimes on one and not the other, sometimes I'll get the notification on one and on the other one a minute or so later. Very frustrating that notifications on both devices have always worked flawlessly with my Android phone, but MS can't even get notifications to work reliably with their own Band 2. If I didn't like the Icon so much I'd have tossed it, but it has so much more personality than my Android phone.

I'm about in the same spot. Last week for the first time I had the thought that I might go Android with my next phone. I love the OS, but it's always third tier on app support. Mainstream apps that either aren't available or available but poorly supported (remember Instagram BETA?), it gets old.

Has Microsoft acknowledged Bluetooth problems with this release? I want to pull the trigger on the update so bad but I'd like to at least know they're working on it and a resolution is coming before I do it. It's too time consuming rolling back to 8.1, taking the updates, installing my apps and getting all my settings and start screen layout back to where I like them. My phone already downloaded the update and prompted me to install, so I set it the farthest out that I could, which happened to be 8/9, hopefully by then there's a final build with BT issues taken care of.

abausch

Jun 21, 2014
Visit site
I upgraded my Icon to W10 before Verizon pushed it out (then rolled it back to take the Verizon update). I am very glad I did it; it's like having a brand new phone, even though it's over 2 years old. I have had bluetooth problems on and off, so if that's a deal breaker, you might want to sit at 8.1. But having access to the W10 apps, Cortana continuity between my phone, desktop & laptop, etc, made it worthwhile for me.

My question now is whether to go back on the insiders program to take the Anniversary update (assuming I have to wait for Verizon to push it out...? Because I don't want to wait for them). Hmmm...

speedfrk305

Jul 10, 2016
Visit site
So, is my phone with the 494 build as up to date as it will get? Is 494 equivalent to the anniv update? Because if this is as good as it gets, I will need to either roll back to 8.1 or move to the dark side and get an iphone.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
So, is my phone with the 494 build as up to date as it will get? Is 494 equivalent to the anniv update? Because if this is as good as it gets, I will need to either roll back to 8.1 or move to the dark side and get an iphone.
10586.494 is TH2 and is the outgoing major version of W10M.

The Anniversary update has a number much higher than 10586, in the 14000's I think, and isn't publicly out yet. So as far as the general public is concerned, you're up-to-date, but not for long as the Anniversary update should be launching as soon as a few days, as late as a few weeks. I'm not sure which.

beantownsouth

Mar 9, 2014
Visit site
So, is the best course going to be to reset the phone to 8.1 and then do the AU?

I've been on insider fast ring for quite awhile. When I received the AU I did a hard reset after it was installed. And I restored everything from my backups without a hitch. There was a ton of updates in the store. It was pretty much a painless upgrade for me.

My Icon has had no issues with my Plantronics headset via Bluetooth. Battery life has been really good unless I'm using the map app. I usually have it on the car charger when using maps to navigate. Overall the Icon is now a top tier phone in my book. It runs awesome on Windows Mobile 10!

Alex Mi

Aug 5, 2016
Visit site
So I've updated my Lumia Icon to Win10 a couple weeks ago and it worked quite fine.

Today I've found my phone at 17% battery charge. Plugged it in and forgot about it for a while. Couple hours after - 12%! Went to the battery saver setting and saw (plugged in, not charging) message next to the battery charge percentage.

Replaced the battery - same problem. Computer sees the data from phone as usual. Tried a different USB cable - same story. Tried to charge it with a wireless charger that worked just fine for me recently - same issue. Did a regular restart, and a couple of soft resets - nothing changed. Not sure what else I can do now. Don't want to do hard reset until it's the absolutely last chance.

Firmware revision: 02540.00019.15024.38022
OS build: 10.0.10586.494

Any ideas guys?

SteveNoza

Jul 16, 2014
Visit site
So I've updated my Lumia Icon to Win10 a couple weeks ago and it worked quite fine.

Today I've found my phone at 17% battery charge. Plugged it in and forgot about it for a while. Couple hours after - 12%! Went to the battery saver setting and saw (plugged in, not charging) message next to the battery charge percentage.

Replaced the battery - same problem. Computer sees the data from phone as usual. Tried a different USB cable - same story. Tried to charge it with a wireless charger that worked just fine for me recently - same issue. Did a regular restart, and a couple of soft resets - nothing changed. Not sure what else I can do now. Don't want to do hard reset until it's the absolutely last chance.

Firmware revision: 02540.00019.15024.38022
OS build: 10.0.10586.494

Any ideas guys?

Our Icons are old phones, I wouldn't be surprised if the W10M update is just too much for the battery.

bvzxa3

Aug 6, 2016
Visit site
I also have had my Icon for about two years. I currently use it on T-Mobile. After a sting of bad luck happenings it is the only phone I have until next week. I bought this phone because of the rumors about Windows 10 and the quality of the camera. The day I got it my daughters HTC One X finally died so she had the phone since 2014 until a few weeks ago after she got a Note 4 as a graduation gift from me. I'm not new to Windows Phone as previously used a T-Mobile HD2 in the wild for years running Windows 7.8 and Android simultaneously. I honestly like this phone. However, unlike the 930, Verizon I believe gave up on this phone because Big Red has a lot more phones on it's roster than to worry about than the Icon.

Now I did get the update from the Windows Insider program a few weeks ago and it was buggy. I rolled back to Denim and read up on the official Verizon update. Finally got the first update and everything was fine. Then at work in the middle of the day, the phone updated again...after the update it's being a bit buggy again. Not as severe as the Insider update, but it has it's moments. I would roll back to 8.1 but Facebook seems more functional on Win 10 mobile then it was on 8.1. Being a long time android uses, not being able to access certain apps has really caused me to rethink the use of Windows Mobile as a daily driver. When I had my HD2, Windows 7.5/7.8 was a nice change of pace, now, not so much. Without app support and the random bugs here and there, my Moto X cant get here quick enough.

dksf42

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
I've been on insider fast ring for quite awhile. When I received the AU I did a hard reset after it was installed. And I restored everything from my backups without a hitch. There was a ton of updates in the store. It was pretty much a painless upgrade for me.

My Icon has had no issues with my Plantronics headset via Bluetooth. Battery life has been really good unless I'm using the map app. I usually have it on the car charger when using maps to navigate. Overall the Icon is now a top tier phone in my book. It runs awesome on Windows Mobile 10!

I agree 100%, we have been running the "Verizon Windows 10 Update" since early June and our Icons just run Windows 10 AWESOME!

I look forward to AU around August 9th !

11B1P

Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
Anybody here using a Fitbit Surge or Fitbit Blaze with their Icon on Windows 10?

Update: neither one have all the features of the Band 2. The Surge has the on board GPS so that you don't need your phone when you exercise, but doesn't get calendar notifications. The Blaze gets calendar notifications, but doesn't have GPS on board, so you have to have your phone nearby.

Looks like I will be staying with my Band 2.

Last edited:

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the clarification, but I am pretty sure that Gabe Aul said that the Icon would get Anniversary Edition once available?
Microsoft has already made it available to us in the 14393 build. The question isn't one for Gabe Aul, but one for Verizon. The 14393 build is the Anniversary Update.

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
That is up to you. You are on the 10586 build (494 is the patch number or something like that - it's a minor update number). In order to update further, to the Anniversary update, will require action on your part. You can either wait for Verizon to release it, at which time you will likely need to use the Update Advisor app. I'm just basing this on the update to 10586 - this may or may not be the case for people on 10586 to update to 14393 (AU). Of course, if you don't have to use the Update Advisor app for it, it may install without action on your part, but I'm guessing that it will be through that app... OR you could use the Windows Inisder settings and get it today by choosing the fast ring. You can choose fast ring, get the update, and then turn off insider updates, because this is the same build number that the AU will be once released. Once the fast ring moves beyond that build number, if you have not turned off insider updates, you will not be able to do so and continue to get updates, from what I recall.

10586.494 is TH2 and is the outgoing major version of W10M.

The Anniversary update has a number much higher than 10586, in the 14000's I think, and isn't publicly out yet. So as far as the general public is concerned, you're up-to-date, but not for long as the Anniversary update should be launching as soon as a few days, as late as a few weeks. I'm not sure which.
No. 10586 is Threshold 1. 14393 is Threshold 2, which is publicly known as Anniversary Update.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes