11-17-2014 12:31 AM
88 ... 234
tools
    When did I say they sell my data? The use my data to build a profile of me and my personality and based on that, sell ads. This is creepy. Why should a company know my personality and make predictions on that when I wouldn't even want a stranger to know that?

E.g. I am a Nokia fan and used Chrome with Google search in the past. I frequently visit Nokia/WP sites. Now all ads I see in websites I run in Chrome are for the latest Lumias... :/

My cousin uses gmail and she applied for a job and sent her CV to the company and had an email conversation with the company. She told me that from the very next day, the ads were of job-finding websites... :/

Another cousin of mine told me he was working on a University project about cooling towers used in industries. He browsed the web a lot about that. He says that most of the ads are now related to cooling towers made by this company or that company... :/
    I assumed you we're many of the people that believed Google sells the data of consumers. Sorry for that.

Anyways many of Google's policies may seem a bit strange at first however they usually serve a pretty useful purpose for most of the people.

StreetView was a highly criticised thing in the beginning, and still is, but such features have proved useful.

Also Google provides many of it's amazing services free of cost, what's wrong with watching a few ads here and there? Especially when they are catered towards your needs.

I only see ads on YouTube and I like watching YouTube ads because they not only make money for Google but also for the person that made the video, it's called monetisation(I think so)
    11-16-2014 03:46 PM
    Those would be some very good points if they had any relation to what I said.
    Did you not say that Android updates added bloatware which made phones slower?
    11-16-2014 03:50 PM
    I assumed you we're many of the people that believed Google sells the data of consumers. Sorry for that.

Anyways many of Google's policies may seem a bit strange at first however they usually serve a pretty useful purpose for most of the people.

StreetView was a highly criticised thing in the beginning, and still is, but such features have proved useful.

Also Google provides many of it's amazing services free of cost, what's wrong with watching a few ads here and there? Especially when they are catered towards your needs.

I only see ads on YouTube and I like watching YouTube ads because they not only make money for Google but also for the person that made the video, it's called monetisation(I think so)
    You might be comfortable with the targeted ad model, but I am not. :) I have no problem with TV ads, billboards, etc., though, since they aren't targeted. My problem is the targeted ad model and since it is the primary way Google makes money, I avoid them as much as I can now.
    Karthik Naik likes this.
    11-16-2014 03:50 PM
    Apart from just perceived sharpness of a display a 2K panel provides for more real estate to view smaller text and get better out of a phone display.

Android allows for low power voice processing and video editing is great already, so in the future we might start seeing PC grade video/audio editing softwares in which a 2K display will prove very useful.

And apart from this Snapdragon 800's DSP is pretty good but it isn't as good as Motorola's inbuilt solution voice detection system. It can detect some hot words pretty nicely but it can't differentiate between many different between different hot words or accents pretty easily.

Motorola's voice detection chip, used in the Moto X and Nexus 6 is much better. In fact on the Moto X it offers custom hotwords and the like...and it works from pretty far away as well.

I'm pretty sure Moto G doesn't have a voice coprocessor because Motorola's site doesn't list it in the specifications. But maybe it works well because the "OK Google" functionality is pretty well optimised and battery friendly.

I'm pretty active on the XDA community and OK Google actually worked well with some older Snapdragon S1 devices, on the home screen at least.
    When the text gets so tiny, what's the use of cramming more into the display? I think text on an FHD display can stay crisp and provide enough real estate to work. 2K on 6" will probably make the text even smaller than the text on a 480p 4" display...

Editing 2K videos doesn't require a 2K display. You should be able to edit them fine with an FHD display and the right optimisation (I can edit FHD videos on my 1020's HD+ display--768p--fine).

If I remember correctly, Lumia 930/1520 are going to support custom hotwords, too.

If Moto G's voice recognition is good and it is always listening, it needs a coprocessor. Only if it isn't always listening, it can go without the coprocessor (like the example you quote about Snapdragon S1).
    Karthik Naik likes this.
    11-16-2014 04:07 PM
    I've been using Lollipop for a while now, and it's amazing. I'm still finding cool little things that are new, and I couldn't be happier with it.

The back and forth Android vs Windows Phone arguments I keep reading here are dumb, and it's the same points being made over and over. At the end of the day, just use whatever makes you happy, and stop trying to convince people otherwise.

After using Lollipop on my Nexus 5, I've decided to get the Nexus 6 next week when it lands on T-Mobile. I love that it uses an Amoled display, and has a Glance "type" feature. Also, being able to activate Google Now while the screen is off is pretty neat.

Neither Windows Phone or Lollipop is perfect, you guys can argue back and forth all week about it, but nobody is listening to anyone, and the whole thing is pointless.

11-16-2014 05:34 PM
    I almost considered android(the htc m8) yesterday when I was getting my iPhone and honestly it really doesn't matter what android can do more and better than windows phone that entire ui is horrendous to me as well as the experience of it. And material design just bugs me.
    Karthik Naik and X0LARIUM like this.
    11-16-2014 06:10 PM
    Efficiently or not, there are things the Nexus can do which the 1520 can't because of the newer specifications. For one thing it supports voice commands even when the phone is off.

It has a 2K display coupled with a Snapdragon 805 processor which allows for faster shot processing and tons of other improvements, and despite graphics already being better on Android the Adreno 420 will also provide a massive boost in graphics quality and speed.

And Android doesn't experience "resuming" and usually gets apps to open up and multitask faster than Windows Phone but still the Nexus 6 will be able to multitask even better because of 3GB RAM.

Also go ask anyone still rocking a Nexus 4 how their phone is running two years later on Android 5.0 and I'm sure they'll tell you how much faster it has gotten compared to the original 4.2

Please for gods sakes educate yourself before spewing out what you consider "facts".
    There are also things that 1520 can do that the Nexus 6 cannot. There's no Smart Camera in Android that let's you group several shots in a single frame, like this:

The ClearBlack display makes the screen legible under sunlight without brightening the screen to its brightest. I can shoot and save in RAW. The list goes on, and that's with features are with a hardware which is even less than the Nexus 6 (i.e. Processor and RAM). Isn't that something that tells us the specs race is a gimmick?

About multitasking, it's the reason why Android shows lag more frequently than the other OS'es. iOS isn't fully capable of that, but battery life on iPads (I really removed iPhones) is much stellar than its Android counterparts.

Android doesn't experience resuming but it lags and crashes. It tries to show things faster compared to the other OS'es. That's why I made my launcher show animations and transitions in a 'relaxed' mode to slow the movements.

My sister has the Nexus 7 OG (that came from me) which was bought last January 2013 but no, the tablet was not faster even with the update.
    11-16-2014 06:21 PM
    I almost considered android(the htc m8) yesterday when I was getting my iPhone and honestly it really doesn't matter what android can do more and better than windows phone that entire ui is horrendous to me as well as the experience of it. And material design just bugs me.
    IMO Google's material design is "heavily inspired" by Windows' but not as pure as Windows'.
    Karthik Naik likes this.
    11-16-2014 06:23 PM
    I can shoot and save in RAW. The list goes on
    Android L shoots in RAW now also. It took them long enough, but at least it's finally here.

Anyways, this will be the last post I make in this thread.
    11-16-2014 07:35 PM
    Developer unlocking allows that.

Its been more than a year since he purchased 925. At that time there was no DP. He did the exact same thing with his old Lumia 710. MS came out with DP so that people would get to use some of the features of the official updates, it'll never allow users to download apps/games from unknown sources unless you jailbreak your phone.
    Karthik Naik likes this.
    11-17-2014 12:18 AM
    You might be comfortable with the targeted ad model, but I am not. :) I have no problem with TV ads, billboards, etc., though, since they aren't targeted. My problem is the targeted ad model and since it is the primary way Google makes money, I avoid them as much as I can now.
    I think I'd prefer to see ads based on stuff I'd actually use over being forced to watch adult diaper commercials on TV.
    agentmikeyd99 likes this.
    11-17-2014 12:23 AM

too bad people cant accept the flaws of android which are all pros of windows phone
    Oh I don't know, I think they're doing OK?
    http://www.idc.com/prodserv/smartpho...rket-share.jsp
    11-17-2014 12:30 AM
    This thread was done about 2 pages ago.
    Since it appears to be starting to nosedive we'll just call it complete.
    11-17-2014 12:31 AM
88 ... 234