920 to 830?

AlexFlorin

Jun 24, 2014
Visit site
Not a chance in hell for me. Someone asked how the 820 is better than the 830. The answer is that the 820 doesn't mean signing a new contract for basically the same phone with a camera and display bump. The performance will be basically the same from a CPU standpoint, while the GPU could be a little worse. The RAM is the same quantity (frequency unknown), meaning not addition there. It's that the 830 isn't a terrible phone, but after having the 820 for 2 years, why would you sign up for almost the same thing for another 2 years?

Now, I have a 920. That's where this all goes south, to me. Reasons I wouldn't take the 830 over the 920:

1. The resolution is a downgrade, as is the overall display quality (920 has a higher refresh rate and IPS is generally better than AMOLED).
2. The internal storage is halved, meaning I HAVE to buy a microSD card. 32 GB is plenty, but 16 GB is way too little (I use 20-25 GB, with 15-17 GB in music alone).
3. The aforementioned lack of a SoC improvement (should be about the same, but could be a bit worse, according to some benchmarks).
4. I personally prefer the 820/920 design to the 830. I don't like the aluminum with the colored backs, and I generally don't like light colors on things like this. I like the shape/design, but I dislike the color scheme.
5. While the 830's camera adds the OIS and general improvements over the 820, the 920 already does a solid job with this, making the camera improvements not as-significant. As someone who isn't a camera lover, it makes it a negligible point of improvement for me.
6. I have no interest in signing up for a 2-year contract (let alone $400 off-contract) for a phone with little to offer, in terms of hardware improvements. I'd rather wait it out for 3-6 months for something rolling with a Snapdragon 800.

I've always thought that if I'm going to shackle myself to a smartphone for 2 years, I'm getting something that is really good for its time, because they'll all be mediocre towards the end. Picking up something with a SoC comparable to a 2-year-old one, then saying I'll keep it for 2 years? That's like torture to me.
I fail to understand how the 820 and 830 are the same thing.
The 830 HAS:

-A bigger screen, resolution(the 820 is pathetic here 480x800)
-Much bigger battery( again the 820 is pathetic here), bigger even than the one in the 920.
-considerably better camera, better even compared to the 920 one
-better design(thinner, and better quality compared to the 820 and 920 which for a lot of people is too heavy and bulky)
-4g support
-wireless charging
-supports SensorCore for your fitness/motion tracking
-has DolbyDigital sound enhancement

The fact that you have to buy a SD card is not a down side man. How can you say that? The biased comments just don't know bounds.

Sorin Balan

Aug 6, 2013
Visit site
For me as a 920 user the 830 isn'n a good enough upgrade. The only real advantage I see is the presence of the sd slot.

Sent from my GTB 701 using Tapatalk

jtroller

May 7, 2012
Visit site
I have been a 920 owner since January 2013. Despite the random over heating and reboots it was the most solid phone I had ever owned. I say was because it failed me while I was overseas for work. I did not want to deal with roaming charges and since I didn't need to make calls I put my phone into airplane mode, having only limited internet access via the hotel's much to be desired wireless. I went out sightseeing one day and took a ton of great photos on my 920. I got back to the hotel to upload them to OneDrive only to discover that the phone was displaying the blue screen sad face. It had completely bricked and all of the great photos that I could not replace as I was flying out that evening were gone. It made the choice to get the 830 with its SD support that much easier. No more non store expandable phones for me.

zack251

Jan 22, 2013
Visit site
I think I will wait a couple more months until end of the year to see what's coming. Plus, the price of 830 could be cheaper by then. 830 is really tempting compare to my heavy and thick 820. Don't really care about the processor though. I am sure I will change to a new phone in about 18 months later.

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
I fail to understand how the 820 and 830 are the same thing.
The 830 HAS:

-A bigger screen, resolution(the 820 is pathetic here 480x800)
-Much bigger battery( again the 820 is pathetic here), bigger even than the one in the 920.
-considerably better camera, better even compared to the 920 one
-better design(thinner, and better quality compared to the 820 and 920 which for a lot of people is too heavy and bulky)
-4g support
-wireless charging
-supports SensorCore for your fitness/motion tracking
-has DolbyDigital sound enhancement

The fact that you have to buy a SD card is not a down side man. How can you say that? The biased comments just don't know bounds.

I'll just work this backwards, since the dumbest comment was at the bottom.

It's not a downside to have to buy a microSD card? It raises the price of the device, which isn't a plus. It can equal or surpass the 920 in storage quantity, but the quality (access time) of the storage is worse via microSD, as compared to internal. Why would I want to go 920->830 so I can spend more money and have lesser-quality storage? Yes, getting worse performance at a higher cost is a downside.

--DolbyDigital is meh. I turned it on with my 920, and turned it right back off. It didn't really offer anything but maybe some bass boost, to me. That, and it's not a big feature to tout in a phone, just as Beats wasn't a big deal in the 8X.
--SensorCore's neat and all, but Microsoft does a terrible job marketing its capabilities, and so many of the potential buyers already have dedicated fitness trackers (example: my sister's using an 822 and has a FitBit One), and I've yet to hear how SensorCore is a viable excuse to stop using those dedicated fitness trackers.
--The 810/820/822 devices could get wireless charging with an add-on plate, this is just built into the plate this time. Well, unless you're on AT&T, in which case you'd have to buy a plate anyway.
--What do you mean, 4G support? My sister's 822 runs LTE. The Lumia 900 on WP7 pulled LTE. This isn't an added feature.
--"Better" is 100% preferential. I consider the 830 to be a design downgrade. The build looks better, but the ugly aluminum coloring kills it. I also prefer the heft of my 920, I like a phone that feels (and is) durable.
--Most people plain don't care about camera quality. If the camera was a big deal, the 920 and 1020 would have outsold the Galaxy S III, which was basically an identical device with a lesser camera. The low-end of mainstream smartphone cameras is plenty for the average user. It's just not worth an upgrade and a 2-year contract for OIS or an extra 1.3 MP.
--My 920's battery life is fine, can last over a day. My sister's 822 does even better (thanks to the AMOLED display at a lower resolution). Yeah, the battery is better, but neither of us actually NEEDS a better battery, so it's a non-factor to us in upgrading (I can't speak for those I don't know).
--Not everyone likes a bigger screen, and while the resolution's definitely an improvement over the 820 family, people have been buying iPhones with sub-HD displays for years without throwing fits over the pixels.

I've never said that the 830 isn't an upgrade from the 820, I've said it's not a WORTHWHILE upgrade. The thing about the display and battery and camera are true, I don't dispute that, really (though there are some preferential things like display size involved). However, none of that is worth the lack of improvement on the SoC side. Signing up for an extra 2 years with performance quality on-par with the 2012 822 is a tough pill to swallow. If you're a new WP8 user, or you're coming from the low-end (5xx/6xx line), the 830 makes sense. If you're coming from the 8xx or 9xx line on WP8, you've already got a quality device, and would do better to go with the Icon for $100 on-contract or wait for a new 10xx or 15xx device.

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
I have the 925 and a side-by-side comparison with the 830 looks very tempting. There are a lot of improvements that are super exciting.

The only thing that would stop me from "upgrading" to the 830 is the processor. Not that I play a lot of games or anything, but the fact that right out of the box this phone is, in a sense, obsolete or at a dead-end. It won't get the 'Hey Cortana' functionality when that rolls out. While that might not seem like a big deal at the moment, this limitation makes me wonder what other upgrades I might not be able to take advantage of in the future.

For me, the processor is a deal breaker and thus not a worthy upgrade.

This is the first argument that really hit home for me. I really like all the specs of the L830 but that quad core processor is limiting. It is not about the future really- these things are present and coming.

I will wait until we see when it hits the States, and when it comes out I will see what happens. Right now, I am open minded to it. For me, "open minded" usually means "no".

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
I have to say that my soon after release was a strong No... because the CPU seemed too slow and didn't support 4K or Hey Cortana.

Yet having looked at a couple of review videos on YouTube showing the phone it definitely is faster than my 920. (I reproduced the same operations). And just how much 4K video would I really want. 1080p is massive enough to keep. The Hey Cortana thing... while it sounds neat, I'd almost prefer the safe and not hard long press on the button. Less accidents that way.

So I think I'll get one if the price is right. It has a slim lightweight design and should have pretty good battery life, both important things. Replaceable battery and SD card are big gains too. Someone said 16GB wasn't enough for their music, but since apps and music etc. can all go external, you have pretty unlimited memory now.

Something I was thinking when watching the reviews (unrelated to 920 to 830) was the battery cover - since AT&T won't ship Qi phones, that really doesn't matter as the back cover is the Qi part and those are replaceable. So you could but a Qi-less phone and get a Qi cover. If AT&T choose to be silly again.

msirapian

Jan 26, 2014
Visit site
I'd say "920 to 830?" is a good question. The X30 portfolio is quite obvious: 520 users should upgrade to 630, 620 to 730, etc.

The issue is: the 930 is not an upgrade for the 1020. So it's not clear is it the successor of the 920, or not. And I guess it's up to each 920 owner. I know people who will buy a 830 without feeling it as a downgrade, other will buy the 930.

The SD card debate is a weak one, I mean: I have a SD card in my 808, it's still there even if my main device is a 1020. If my next phone has a SD slot, I'll reuse it, unless I want more storage, but that's another story.

Anyway, back to the upgrade question, it really depends on how each 920 owner will value the different parameters.

Sep 10, 2013
Visit site
I think a good question is this: which device has a better value proposition right now: a used L920, a new L730, or a new L830? Let's assume this is a clean-slate purchase (so degree of upgrade is irrelevant). Thoughts?

FAHMI BASSEM

Oct 3, 2013
Visit site
Good decision, new phone with new better hardware, Lumia Denim.
The hardware are approximately the same, better camera, better CPU, bigger screen, and again Lumia denim

ShinraCorp

Feb 13, 2014
Visit site
I'll be keeping my 920 until WP9 is officially released just to give me an excuse to upgrade :p. Although I will need to buy a new battery for my 920 since it's discharging rapidly.

Upgrade wise 920 to 830 is a good idea.

Fade_z

Jun 15, 2013
Visit site
I think a good question is this: which device has a better value proposition right now: a used L920, a new L730, or a new L830? Let's assume this is a clean-slate purchase (so degree of upgrade is irrelevant). Thoughts?
With an eye on the future, Lumia 830.
Although 735 is more budget, the 920 even more so these days but remember that 920 is 2012 tech and you can't support everything indefinitely. In all truthiness it probably will be supported for quite a while still.

But 830; newer hardware, removable back and battery +SD card. Bigger screen and better camera.

Etios

Feb 10, 2013
Visit site
Lumia 830 will not be a proper upgrade from SOC/hardware point of view, the GPU Adreno 305 in Lumia 830/Snapdragon 400 is weaker than 2+ year old Adreno 225 in Lumia 820/ Snapdragon S4 Plus. Even the CPU performance is not better in 830 as Quad core A7 is not better than Dual Core Kraits. So, yeah, i will definitely not downgrade from 820 to 830 at the same price as the SOC performance should have doubled in 2 years time not regressed. All this could have been avoided by using Snapdragon 800 just like Lumia 820 shared Snapdragon S4 Plus with Lumai 920,925 etc

ricardowieira

Sep 7, 2014
Visit site
Well, i have one Nokia Lumia 920, and to be honest, since the announcement of 830 (with Lumia Denim Firmware) and the features that brings to the "next gen", i see that the Lumia 920 will be "abandoned" by Microsoft.

So, i will eventually sell my Nokia Lumia 920, that i will replace for the "next gen" Nokia Lumia 1020 ou some flagship Android (like Sony Xperia Z3). Will see. :)

Karthik Naik

Banned
Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
since when are we windows phone users soo worried about specs other than ram
the 1520 has a SD800 i dont see any reason why a 525 with a SD S4 will perform any lesser for most things

SAM 77

Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
Comes down to pricing. I picked up an 820 on a $45 per month contract 18 months ago. 300mins calls, unlimited sms and 200MB data.
I got lucky as they were running a 1GB bonus data for signing up in the month I bought my phone so its 1.2GB data included.

If the 830 is the same deal with my provider then its not so bad but I doubt it will be.

At the moment for a 15$ per month extra I can get 600mins calls, unlimited sms and 1GB data with a 930
For $20 extra its unlimited call, sms/mms and 2GB data with a 930

A 635 with the same provider is only $10 and $5 cheaper than a 930 on respective plans. :confused:

It will be interesting to see how the carriers sell this phone.
I gotta admit the phone does look great and appealing coming from an 820 but if you had a 920 I thought you would be expecting a bit more.

I'm just hoping Nokia/MS have something in the pipeline over the next 6 months.