920 to 830?

Liopleus Lin

May 23, 2014
Visit site
The quad core CPU in 830 isn't better than the CPU in 920 in terms of performance, four 1.2ghz A7 cores yield about the same performance as two 1.5ghz krait cores, and adreno 305 GPU in 830 is weaker than 225 in 920, however, it's much more energy efficient than the old snapdragon s4 in 920. The camera may not be better than 920 as well, the one in 830 has more pixel but the one in 920 has larger sensor, resulting in more light signal or pixel, producing less noise and better low light performance. I do agree that SD card slot, sensor core, thinner and lighter body, better battery life and the privilege to get new update earlier is nice, but it's still a mix bag whether it's an upgrade from 920.

Fade_z

Jun 15, 2013
Visit site
The quad core CPU in 830 isn't better than the CPU in 920 in terms of performance, four 1.2ghz A7 cores yield about the same performance as two 1.5ghz krait cores, and adreno 305 GPU in 830 is weaker than 225 in 920, however, it's much more energy efficient than the old snapdragon s4 in 920. The camera may not be better than 920 as well, the one in 830 has more pixel but the one in 920 has larger sensor, resulting in more light signal or pixel, producing less noise and better low light performance. I do agree that SD card slot, sensor core, thinner and lighter body, better battery life and the privilege to get new update earlier is nice, but it's still a mix bag whether it's an upgrade from 920.
Depends on your needs, for me its a good upgrade also because my 920 has some minor damage [proximity sensor and other dont function that well anymore]
And im not on contract so i can buy whenever i want, and the 930 is a little to expensive for me. On top of that; i dont really play that many games and if i do they are not graphically demanding [like modern combat series].

For me its a perfect suit and i get alot of things i wouldnt even get when buying the 930 [yes removable battery and SD are important for me. also i like the idea that i could buy new colour backcovers and change my lumia 830 looks]

humanhowever

May 26, 2014
Visit site
Hey,

I was looking at this as well. My contract expires in April 2015, for my Lumia 920 and I was thinking of getting an 830 off contract so that I could give my 920 to my little brother (he really wants the yellow). But the only thing that excites me is the SD card, otherwise everything else is not that significant of an upgrade.
I'm just hoping that by the holidays or early next year they release a high end, non-phablet phone with an SD card. That's my personal preference. If the 930 was a little smaller and had an SD card, I'd be all over it, but at the moment, I'm not completely convinced.

SAM 77

Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
expecting a bit more ?? for 920 users? it has a better camera,sd card slot,quad core cpu and sensor core
i think its a worthy upgrade

920 was the top of the line "flagship" when it was released. The 830 isn't.
Thats what I meant by expecting a bit more.

For me my carrier is gonna have to dish out the 830 at 635 price for it to be worth considering.
Like I said before for only $10 a month or $5 month extra I can pick up a 930 over a 635!

Its going to be interesting to see the pricing.

Last edited:

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
expecting a bit more ?? for 920 users? it has a better camera,sd card slot,quad core cpu and sensor core
i think its a worthy upgrade

1. 1.3 megapixels isn't a big deal of improvement.
2. SD slot, but half of the internal storage. If 32 GB is what you want, going to the 830 means buying a microSD card, and the storage on the card is slower than the internal storage, meaning I'll have slower storage in the same quantity.
3. Cores aren't everything, anyone with any knowledge of computers knows that. These cores are slower, though the CPU as a whole is expected to be a little faster. However, the 830's GPU (the thing for games) is expected to be significantly slower than the one in the 820/920.
4. SensorCore's capabilities and features are never marketed for crap, so IDK what the point of it even is. It does fitness stuff, OK. However, so many people have fitness trackers that are likely better than SensorCore that it probably doesn't add anything for many potential users. That, and considering Samsung and Apple ride the gimmicks harder than anyone, they likely have better health features coming than SensorCore (Samsung's S Health might already have them).

It's all a bunch of little things that don't add up to a meaningful reason to sign a 2-year contract for a VERY-comparable phone.

AlexFlorin

Jun 24, 2014
Visit site
I'll just work this backwards, since the dumbest comment was at the bottom.

It's not a downside to have to buy a microSD card? It raises the price of the device, which isn't a plus. It can equal or surpass the 920 in storage quantity, but the quality (access time) of the storage is worse via microSD, as compared to internal. Why would I want to go 920->830 so I can spend more money and have lesser-quality storage? Yes, getting worse performance at a higher cost is a downside.

--DolbyDigital is meh. I turned it on with my 920, and turned it right back off. It didn't really offer anything but maybe some bass boost, to me. That, and it's not a big feature to tout in a phone, just as Beats wasn't a big deal in the 8X.
--SensorCore's neat and all, but Microsoft does a terrible job marketing its capabilities, and so many of the potential buyers already have dedicated fitness trackers (example: my sister's using an 822 and has a FitBit One), and I've yet to hear how SensorCore is a viable excuse to stop using those dedicated fitness trackers.
--The 810/820/822 devices could get wireless charging with an add-on plate, this is just built into the plate this time. Well, unless you're on AT&T, in which case you'd have to buy a plate anyway.
--What do you mean, 4G support? My sister's 822 runs LTE. The Lumia 900 on WP7 pulled LTE. This isn't an added feature.
--"Better" is 100% preferential. I consider the 830 to be a design downgrade. The build looks better, but the ugly aluminum coloring kills it. I also prefer the heft of my 920, I like a phone that feels (and is) durable.
--Most people plain don't care about camera quality. If the camera was a big deal, the 920 and 1020 would have outsold the Galaxy S III, which was basically an identical device with a lesser camera. The low-end of mainstream smartphone cameras is plenty for the average user. It's just not worth an upgrade and a 2-year contract for OIS or an extra 1.3 MP.
--My 920's battery life is fine, can last over a day. My sister's 822 does even better (thanks to the AMOLED display at a lower resolution). Yeah, the battery is better, but neither of us actually NEEDS a better battery, so it's a non-factor to us in upgrading (I can't speak for those I don't know).
--Not everyone likes a bigger screen, and while the resolution's definitely an improvement over the 820 family, people have been buying iPhones with sub-HD displays for years without throwing fits over the pixels.

I've never said that the 830 isn't an upgrade from the 820, I've said it's not a WORTHWHILE upgrade. The thing about the display and battery and camera are true, I don't dispute that, really (though there are some preferential things like display size involved). However, none of that is worth the lack of improvement on the SoC side. Signing up for an extra 2 years with performance quality on-par with the 2012 822 is a tough pill to swallow. If you're a new WP8 user, or you're coming from the low-end (5xx/6xx line), the 830 makes sense. If you're coming from the 8xx or 9xx line on WP8, you've already got a quality device, and would do better to go with the Icon for $100 on-contract or wait for a new 10xx or 15xx device.

SD cards today are not expensive your argument is irrelevant.
16gb + a 32gb SD card is more than you get in a 920. Also flagships like Galaxy S5 or HTC M8 come with 16gb storage and an SD card slot.
Most people store their music, videos and photos on the SD card and the performance impact is 0. Also you can install the less important apps or the maps for the navigation(if you travel you will download more maps). All big advantages. 32gb is not enough for a lot of people.

You attempt to down play 830's features is quite funny.
L822 was never available anywhere, and in my country people have option for 4g internet so it's a definite plus compared also compared with the fact that we only got the 820 here.
The 830 looks better and it's obvious for anybody. You say you don't like it although it does looks better. Well I don't care.

Anyway you are very confused. You said that the 830 and 820 are almost the same thing and that is totally false. The 735 and 730 are almost the same thing.

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
SD cards today are not expensive your argument is irrelevant.
16gb + a 32gb SD card is more than you get in a 920. Also flagships like Galaxy S5 or HTC M8 come with 16gb storage and an SD card slot.
Most people store their music, videos and photos on the SD card and the performance impact is 0. Also you can install the less important apps or the maps for the navigation(if you travel you will download more maps). All big advantages. 32gb is not enough for a lot of people.

You attempt to down play 830's features is quite funny.
L822 was never available anywhere, and in my country people have option for 4g internet so it's a definite plus compared also compared with the fact that we only got the 820 here.
The 830 looks better and it's obvious for anybody. You say you don't like it although it does looks better. Well I don't care.

Anyway you are very confused. You said that the 830 and 820 are almost the same thing and that is totally false. The 735 and 730 are almost the same thing.

Are microSD cards free? No? Then they add to the cost, so saying something is irrelevant there is a lie. To equal my 920's storage will cost an additional $20 or so, and that's to have slower storage, which is a negative anyway. Oh, and saying that most people use more than 32 GB of storage is total guesswork with no evidence to back it up. I use the storage of my phone more than anyone I know, and I've got several GB clear on my 920. Most people probably don't crack 10 GB of storage. Not everyone has a deep music library and offline maps.

By the way, I only mentioned the 822 because that's what my sister had. It was the same thing as the 820, except with a different body and more internal storage. The 820 is LTE- and HSPA+-capable.

Nokia Lumia 820 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"4G: Dual-Band LTE 4 and 17 (1700/700 MHz) for the [U.S. and Mexico]; Penta-band LTE 1, 3, 7, 8, 20 (2100/1800/2600/900/800 MHz) [Internationally]"

Sorry I don't like light-colored devices, I find them hideous, so the aluminum is a big turn-off. Stating aesthetics as fact is the reason I officially consider any further comments you make to be worth less than nothing, because you are trying to say I am incapable of having a different aesthetic preference than you.

The 8x0 devices are VERY similar. There are a bunch of little improvements, but the core of the 830 is worse than the 820 (due to carrying a junk GPU), meaning that as a whole, they aren't all that different, in terms of my perception of their overall quality. Of course, someone who is really big on optics will think differently (and if that person is able, he'll go with the 1020 instead), but on the whole, there isn't much to say about the 830 over the 820, while the 920 is a clear winner, to me.

Sledgehamma

Feb 28, 2013
Visit site
Not a chance in hell for me. Someone asked how the 820 is better than the 830. The answer is that the 820 doesn't mean signing a new contract for basically the same phone with a camera and display bump. The performance will be basically the same from a CPU standpoint, while the GPU could be a little worse. The RAM is the same quantity (frequency unknown), meaning not addition there. It's that the 830 isn't a terrible phone, but after having the 820 for 2 years, why would you sign up for almost the same thing for another 2 years?

Now, I have a 920. That's where this all goes south, to me. Reasons I wouldn't take the 830 over the 920:

1. The resolution is a downgrade, as is the overall display quality (920 has a higher refresh rate and IPS is generally better than AMOLED).
2. The internal storage is halved, meaning I HAVE to buy a microSD card. 32 GB is plenty, but 16 GB is way too little (I use 20-25 GB, with 15-17 GB in music alone).
3. The aforementioned lack of a SoC improvement (should be about the same, but could be a bit worse, according to some benchmarks).
4. I personally prefer the 820/920 design to the 830. I don't like the aluminum with the colored backs, and I generally don't like light colors on things like this. I like the shape/design, but I dislike the color scheme.
5. While the 830's camera adds the OIS and general improvements over the 820, the 920 already does a solid job with this, making the camera improvements not as-significant. As someone who isn't a camera lover, it makes it a negligible point of improvement for me.
6. I have no interest in signing up for a 2-year contract (let alone $400 off-contract) for a phone with little to offer, in terms of hardware improvements. I'd rather wait it out for 3-6 months for something rolling with a Snapdragon 800.

I've always thought that if I'm going to shackle myself to a smartphone for 2 years, I'm getting something that is really good for its time, because they'll all be mediocre towards the end. Picking up something with a SoC comparable to a 2-year-old one, then saying I'll keep it for 2 years? That's like torture to me.

1. Why are you talking about AMOLED? 920 and 830 both have an LCD Display.
2. True but you could argue that you can buy 128GB SD card and have way more storage than on the 920.
3. agreed
4. Totally subjective and I like the design of 830 more than on my 920
5. agreed. I even don't think that the camera of the 930 is way better then on 920. It's basically the same if you do not need zoom. When you use it, the difference is very clear because of the significant difference in the resolution of the sensor.
6. Understandable

Karthik Naik

Banned
Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
1. 1.3 megapixels isn't a big deal of improvement.
2. SD slot, but half of the internal storage. If 32 GB is what you want, going to the 830 means buying a microSD card, and the storage on the card is slower than the internal storage, meaning I'll have slower storage in the same quantity.
3. Cores aren't everything, anyone with any knowledge of computers knows that. These cores are slower, though the CPU as a whole is expected to be a little faster. However, the 830's GPU (the thing for games) is expected to be significantly slower than the one in the 820/920.
4. SensorCore's capabilities and features are never marketed for crap, so IDK what the point of it even is. It does fitness stuff, OK. However, so many people have fitness trackers that are likely better than SensorCore that it probably doesn't add anything for many potential users. That, and considering Samsung and Apple ride the gimmicks harder than anyone, they likely have better health features coming than SensorCore (Samsung's S Health might already have them).

It's all a bunch of little things that don't add up to a meaningful reason to sign a 2-year contract for a VERY-comparable phone.

920 was the top of the line "flagship" when it was released. The 830 isn't.
Thats what I meant by expecting a bit more.

For me my carrier is gonna have to dish out the 830 at 635 price for it to be worth considering.
Like I said before for only $10 a month or $5 month extra I can pick up a 930 over a 635!

Its going to be interesting to see the pricing.

Are microSD cards free? No? Then they add to the cost, so saying something is irrelevant there is a lie. To equal my 920's storage will cost an additional $20 or so, and that's to have slower storage, which is a negative anyway. Oh, and saying that most people use more than 32 GB of storage is total guesswork with no evidence to back it up. I use the storage of my phone more than anyone I know, and I've got several GB clear on my 920. Most people probably don't crack 10 GB of storage. Not everyone has a deep music library and offline maps.

By the way, I only mentioned the 822 because that's what my sister had. It was the same thing as the 820, except with a different body and more internal storage. The 820 is LTE- and HSPA+-capable.

Nokia Lumia 820 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"4G: Dual-Band LTE 4 and 17 (1700/700 MHz) for the [U.S. and Mexico]; Penta-band LTE 1, 3, 7, 8, 20 (2100/1800/2600/900/800 MHz) [Internationally]"

Sorry I don't like light-colored devices, I find them hideous, so the aluminum is a big turn-off. Stating aesthetics as fact is the reason I officially consider any further comments you make to be worth less than nothing, because you are trying to say I am incapable of having a different aesthetic preference than you.

The 8x0 devices are VERY similar. There are a bunch of little improvements, but the core of the 830 is worse than the 820 (due to carrying a junk GPU), meaning that as a whole, they aren't all that different, in terms of my perception of their overall quality. Of course, someone who is really big on optics will think differently (and if that person is able, he'll go with the 1020 instead), but on the whole, there isn't much to say about the 830 over the 820, while the 920 is a clear winner, to me.

just wow is my opinion
how is expandable storage expensive?
dont put an sd card slot in the 920,925 and 1020 and everyone bats an eyelid and says it should have had one,
nokia puts an sd card slot in the 830 and suddenly sd cards are expensive
iphone 5S has M7 co processor which everyone still hypes about but when sensor core reaches into the 830,suddenly its crap
10MP pureview sensor is also suddenly not much of an improvement??

as for cpus,since when is windows phone soo resourcehungry that the cpu sucks? iphone has proven this and so has wp
android is resource hungry and needs a million core with loads of ram to lag on basic stuff

how do you guys define "flagships" if the 830 isnt considered premium?? even the 520 looks premium,830 looks rather neat and newer
920 was a great phone but god heavy,which is why i bought an 820 and a 720 instead
the 830 can be considered a flagship

AlexFlorin

Jun 24, 2014
Visit site
Right now I have one 32gb SD card, 2 16gb sd cards and an 8gb card.
The 32gb was on sale an i got it at the same price I payed for the 16gb cards.
The 8gb are also really cheap I got one for like 7-8$.

Buying an SD card is not an inconvenience. I use sd cards all the time with my phones, photo cameras, PC, tablet, laptop etc.
Having 16gb + SD card slot is not a disadvantage or an inconvenience.
The SD card has another huge advantage with a WP. When you hard reset the phone or flash it's firmware(maybe you tried through Developer Preview the latest version of the OS and didn't like it) the data on you SD card will not be erased and I'm taking about photos, clips and music. The apps and app data will be erased. If you do that on a 920 all the data will be erased.
Who would not want an SD card option for their 920 or 930?

Yeah aluminum is soo ugly who in their right minds would not agree with that. And the coloring of course it's such a problem, especially when you can change the back. The 920 does look OK(from the front at least) but it's a brick and the 820 well there is nothing special about that phone especially when it comes to looks.
The 830 looks similar with the 930 so the 930 in your conception is also ugly because it has aluminum and let's not forget the 925 which is also praised for it's looks but if it has aluminum it must be hideous.
The reasons you criticize the 830's aesthetics are more than unreasonable and it's impossible for anybody to agree with them. And I firmly repeat: anybody.

The 8x0 devices are VERY similar
OK I want a real argument. What makes them VERY SIMILAR?
What general impact on performance has the gpu in the 830. What game can't the 830 run? what about people that don't play games or don't care about games very much?

These are all reasonable questions when you make that kind of statements.

Last edited:

SAM 77

Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
the 830 can be considered a flagship

You need to look up a dictionary if you think the 830 represents "flagship"

Expandable storage is expensive when you go for read/writes speed that can try to match dedicated onboard storage.

Marketing Dept loves people like you.

Karthik Naik

Banned
Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
You need to look up a dictionary if you think the 830 represents "flagship"

Expandable storage is expensive when you go for read/writes speed that can try to match dedicated onboard storage.

Marketing Dept loves people like you.

Yeah right I hope you are enjoying your fixed storage phone with no place while I enjoy my phones with class 10 32gb cards in each of my phones
I runs all my stuff including apps off the sd card it's not slow
Don't have a grapes are sour attitude I'm not trying to attack you
Btw what in your opinion is a "flagship"
Your opinion seems like the Lamborghini hurracan is a normal car for regular people and the aventador is a "flagship"

SAM 77

Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
The dictionary definition.

You're right the Aventador is the flagship for the Lamborghini range.

Regular people cant drive a lambo though. They stick to 150hp sedans.

Karthik Naik

Banned
Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
The dictionary definition.

You're right the Aventador is the flagship for the Lamborghini range.

Regular people cant drive a lambo though. They stick to 150hp sedans.

yeah right so you actually think the Hurracan/830 cannot be considered flagships
im sorry but this is really funny,the difference isnt much and the 830 has stuff the 930 also doesnt have-glance,sd card slot

SAM 77

Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
Its gonna be hard for this phone to get much traction in affluent markets.

Microsoft challenges Apple, Samsung with ill equipped Nokia Lumia 830 - Good Gear Guide by PC World Australia

I don't know anyone with a high end windows phone. I have only seen a single 635 in public. Most of my friends have iPhones or Galaxy's and this phone ain't going to attract them over. WP is a joke here in Australia, the other guys have done a better job of marketing and without some kaboom features like 41MP camera no one takes any interest in WP here. Especially when the tech sites have started off with their usual bias.

BTW its an insult to the Huracan to link it with the 830. Funny but.

Last edited:

shryx86

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
Why not go from the 920 to the 930? I have a 920, and I would switch to the 930 if I had to. However, I'm waiting to see what could be announced later this year. Nothing has made me want to upgrade yet.

anon5999636

May 16, 2013
Visit site
I will wait for new devices. For me the 930 it's not an option... Maybe a future Lumia Microsoft 935 or 940. For now I will stay with my 920. I think this devices (730,735,830 and 930) was Nokia's Project and the next Lumias will be Microsoft's Project.

jrdatrackstar1223

Aug 15, 2011
Visit site
The 830 would be perfect for me if that CPU/GPU wasn't so far behind. I've said it before and I've said it again: I am not a spec person but I also refuse to pay for hardware that I could pay $100 for on Craigslist. You're basically buying a Moto G with Windows Phone slapped on top for (if you're buying out of contract like I would be) ~ $400. On top of that, games aren't even optimized to work well on even higher end devices like the 1520 and still lag.

Had this been priced similarly to the 630 series I would be all over it, as well as other people I imagine. I understand the pricing because they're targeting people who don't truly care about what they're paying for when it comes to specs, but tech enthusiasts know that the 830 isn't worth what they're asking...

jaygss

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Why not go from the 920 to the 930? I have a 920, and I would switch to the 930 if I had to. However, I'm waiting to see what could be announced later this year. Nothing has made me want to upgrade yet.

Just one word: Glance.

I love Glance on my 920 and wouldn't want any phone without. I am, like the thread-starter eying the 930 or the 830 as a successor to my 920, but the missing "Hey cortana" is keeping me from getting the 830 and the missing glance from buying the 930. At the question of price they are similar, not much difference between 300€ and 450€ for 830 and 930 respectively.

If they released the 830 with a SD800 processor or the 930 with a good display (with memory for glance) I would have bought them right away. Both phones look great and are great succesors to the 920. But with each missing a tiny piece of the puzzle it is hard to decide..