Anyone Else Just Completely Disappointed by BB10?

bb10_fan

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
It's not so much taking it personal as feeling it is my job as an ambassador to promote a more positive atmosphere on the forums. Sure, it's never going to be perfect (tell me one thing that is!) but I want to be as much of a help as I can.

Then I will post less on WP Central to reduce the load of negativity you have to deal with :) (I didn't know that there are ambassadors exist on these forums)

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
Doesn't ANYONE think that this thread needs to be moved to Crackberry? Totally wrong site, never mind a wrong forum! :p

Last edited:

Villain

Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
I was a little disappointed with the custom sound profiles on BB10... the main home screen is a bitmeh but overall BB10 looks solid (camera is meh but im not a photographer) and the battery life seems to be an issue.

crystal_planet

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site
I actually had a chance to play with it for a couple of minutes today in a store. Overall, it looked like iPhoneish (that's not an insult, as it was pretty nice. The white one did nothing for me however) It did remind me of iOS as well with the rows of icons - on the whole pretty meh, but if it wasn't for WP, I might rock one. The swipe up predictive text was pretty cool.

The experience left me a little melancholy, as I do like BlackBerry- I don't think BB10 is going to save it.

crystal_planet

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site
Oh, and there was one thing that really impressed me, and at the same time pissed me off. The phones were part of a generic mobile booth in Costco in which it was manned by three csr's. The one guy, saw I was looking at it and unlocked it for me to get out of demo mode so I could actually use it. He was pretty knowledgeable about the device and quite enthusiastic about BlackBerry in general. It was the total opposite of my experience with Windows Phone, where I actually had to answer some of the csr's questions about it.

BlackBerry seemed to have taken some care with its release on a personal level, which was the opposite with my WP experience.

ealvnv

Feb 2, 2013
Visit site
BB10 looks just like android, it's not something different. WP is pretty much the only something different.
First of all let me tell you that I am platform agnostic, yes i use WP8, Android, IOS and BB10, to say WP is the only something different is something generic, it looks different? yes it does, but what really matters in this case is what has WP8, BB10 or any other platform has offer different from the other, and I'll tell you what, they are all different from each other once you dive deep in the functionality and uses you exercise with each platform

What absolutely baffles me are the icons they used, after all this time they could hired a good graphics firm to create some really cool, unique icons. But instead they just grabbed them off the web. Look at the calendar icon, seriously, that's been around for years. They had a chance to really make it shine with some simple touches like the icons and they failed badly. It looks like an old Android phone. A lot of the hardcore BB users will buy it, but I can't see many switching from other platforms. I have also read a lot of comments from long time BB users saying they are not buying it because they have removed the features that they rely on.
Can you specifically tell which icons they grabbed from the web?, the calendar icon it might be boring for you, but not for everyone and as for the second point, do not believe what you heard until you use it, nothing has been removed in terms of functionality, what they did was just streamline some functions that were redundant, people is freaking out for "lack" of push email which is plain BS, there is push email, in fact emails arrive instantly.

I was a little disappointed with the custom sound profiles on BB10... the main home screen is a bitmeh but overall BB10 looks solid (camera is meh but im not a photographer) and the battery life seems to be an issue.
I agree with you on the sound profiles, there is no main home screen at all, there is an apps screens and an active frames screen (that is how they are called), heck you can even consider the hub as you homescreen if you want, i am not saying is a good thing or not, i guess is a matter of taste, some like it, some do not.

No my last point to all of you, can anyone saying bad things about the overall experience/look/feel of the OS tell me how much time have you had with a the OS in a daily basis other then watching videos and reading reviews?
And tell me please which mobile os in its first gen step was perfect? i will save you the time NONE.

Disclaimer: I been using BB10 for some time now as my main device, i also own a Lumia 920, HTC One X+, 4S and several tablets except for Surface

Napocensis

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Most people seemed to be fine with the way this thread was progressing, i.e bashing BB10, until others starting defending BB10, at which time they were called negativists.
What about the ?vomit? statement by OP? Or his complete disappointment with a phone and OS he never experienced firsthand. He does not like the camera because the picture on the webcast did not look so great. Then another poster expresses her disappointment with theZ10 camera, based on an extremely profound and exhaustive one low light picture test, after which the writer deeply concludes that the L920 smoked the Z10? Why don?t people wait for a chance to test a phone before taking such extreme sides? I do not see anything positive in their comments either.

Thanks to the few people who made comments based on logical analysis rather than fanboyism.

I do not think people need to commit to a phone or OS for a lifetime (it?s not a marriage), nor I believe that one should just be patient and wait till an OS gets better. Just get what fits your needs the best at this time and don?t worry about what happens to WP8 or BB10. They are just a business like any other, they want your money, and they will not pay you a penny back even if they become #1 OS.

ryker002

Jan 15, 2013
Visit site
BlackBerry should pull an IBM. Strictly business, and that way they'll survive by giving the businesses what they want. Not the average consumer.
Sent from my Nokia Lumia 920 using Board Express

Napocensis

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
BlackBerry should pull an IBM. Strictly business, and that way they'll survive by giving the businesses what they want. Not the average consumer.
Not sure about that... I used BB for years but I got bored of only business and no fun. I enjoy my L920 now, my wife asks me why I need to take the phone to bed every night. But darn it, I miss some business features... Never satisfied enough.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Not sure about that... I used BB for years but I got bored of only business and no fun. I enjoy my L920 now, my wife asks me why I need to take the phone to bed every night. But darn it, I miss some business features... Never satisfied enough.
I agree with you. Nobody is going to want to use 2 different devices, which would be necessary if BB went "business-only".

ryker002

Jan 15, 2013
Visit site
I suppose you have a point, but you even backed up my point by stating the business capabilities. Businesses want their employees to remain focuses, in contact and on time. Which is what the BlackBerry originally was perfect for. However now they're trying to be too much lime iPhone and android.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I suppose you have a point, but you even backed up my point by stating the business capabilities. Businesses want their employees to remain focuses, in contact and on time. Which is what the BlackBerry originally was perfect for. However now they're trying to be too much lime iPhone and android.
That's pretty much necessary. Many companies have gone from BB-only to BYOD. Nobody is going to choose a BB in a BYOD situation if the BB is only good for business.

One of my relatives works in the IT department of a corporation that formerly was a BB-only shop. They got rid of BES 2 years ago, and they use Mobile Iron to manage their devices. Anything is allowed except BB.

ashykat

Nov 20, 2010
Visit site
Does it let me have separate volume controls for notifications, ringers, alarms, and media? If so, I'm sold. It may not be the most aesthetically pleasing OS, but the functionality looks pretty solid. I love the gesture support (I'm both a webOS and MeeGo ******), I love the multitasking "active frames" which aren't just apps in a frozen state, I love the hub which quickly lets you check your messages in one place without having the leave the app you're in first. I love the notification light, seriously, why the **** don't we have one of those? A charge light is not the same thing. If the app isn't available in Blackberry World, it's relatively easy to use the Android version in the meantime. The whole "peak & flow" thing looks pretty great. I don't know why so many of you are so quick to slam it, surely you know what that feels like as the iOS and Android guys do the same to you. I've been a WP fan from the beginning and I've had tons of the phones, and I thing it's a great OS, but BB10 looks good too. I like the fact that there may be a bigger mobile landscape than the iOS + Android monopoly.

z33dev33l

Oct 16, 2011
Visit site
Does it let me have separate volume controls for notifications, ringers, alarms, and media? If so, I'm sold. It may not be the most aesthetically pleasing OS, but the functionality looks pretty solid. I love the gesture support (I'm both a webOS and MeeGo ******), I love the multitasking "active frames" which aren't just apps in a frozen state, I love the hub which quickly lets you check your messages in one place without having the leave the app you're in first. I love the notification light, seriously, why the **** don't we have one of those? A charge light is not the same thing. If the app isn't available in Blackberry World, it's relatively easy to use the Android version in the meantime. The whole "peak & flow" thing looks pretty great. I don't know why so many of you are so quick to slam it, surely you know what that feels like as the iOS and Android guys do the same to you. I've been a WP fan from the beginning and I've had tons of the phones, and I thing it's a great OS, but BB10 looks good too. I like the fact that there may be a bigger mobile landscape than the iOS + Android monopoly.

Perhaps I'll give it a second look when they put it on usable hardware and make the UI a bit more aesthetically pleasing but as it stands, it's just ugly and while it offers some functionality, that's part of the reason people are saying they barely clear an hour with heavy use.

1jaxstate1

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
How it looks is a matter of opinion. Could you please link to where ANYONE said they could only get barely over an hour of battery life.
Perhaps I'll give it a second look when they put it on usable hardware and make the UI a bit more aesthetically pleasing but as it stands, it's just ugly and while it offers some functionality, that's part of the reason people are saying they barely clear an hour with heavy use.

z33dev33l

Oct 16, 2011
Visit site
Alas, I don't have the link handy. A guy on some phone site, maybe it was phonedog, said he ran the battery down in 1 hour and 16 minutes of browsing. Sure, looks are relative, but if your choices are an android look-alike or the real deal with a much bigger ecosystem and generally more to offer, why would you pick BBOS?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo