Are Nokia here maps & navigation really as good as its marketed to be ?

stalemate1

Aug 29, 2013
Visit site
We have all heard how Nokia boast about its here maps but are here maps really that great ? Or perhaps better ? I don't have my lumia yet so that's why I'm asking you. (currently waiting to make the switch from Android)

Are here maps & navigation fully functional completely offline ? (can you search for addresses and poi's - do all addresses show up or are there blank parts of the map that says nothing is "there" when there is a very small town ? In other words does it ever say "no results found" ? Especially in third world countries such as South Africa, In other words "how good is the accuracy"

Or rather simply, have you noticed any areas that Here does not show, include, cover or just plainly does not have ?

Is the responsiveness as great as the wp8 home screen or are there stutters ? Does it take long to load search results ?

If you found a point on the map you will like to go to and need to be navigated to get there, do you need to exit here maps and open here navigation then enter the destination manual buy selecting it on the map ? (i might be referring to drive but I'm not sure if drive is for navigation or finding restaurants ?)
Or are all the drive apps connected like Google maps and Google navigation ?

Are here maps very frequently updated ? (for some areas, Google hasn't made updates for 4 years or more)

Thanks in advance. :)

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
I'll give you an honest opinion here.

I've had a Nokia N8 before a Lumia. I preferred the maps on the N8 over the Lumia when HERE first came out. Lots of stuff was missing.

However, it's gotten better and will continue to get better I'm sure. Just make sure you set the route settings to Fastest otherwise you can end up taking the long way somewhere. I also find the traffic is a bit slow.

The maps are completely offline but you need to have them on your phone. The maps can go on the SD card if your phone has one. If you get one of the flagships you get the option of having the whole world on your phone. :p

Yes the maps are continuously updated. Yes you can find a place on the map and get directions by tapping. Either walking, transit or driving.

All GPS systems have bits missing. It's a reality of the system. None are perfect but HERE is pretty good overall. Since it's free I don't feel a need to complain much. :)

WanderingTraveler

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
It really depends on where you live. I've found that HERE covers the US and Canada, as well as much of Europe, very well. Coverage is spotty elsewhere, though.

As N_LaRUE said, HERE on Lumias are actually a step back from the mapping clients found on Symbian devices, and from my experience, on par with S60 devices.
That said, HERE works great offline, I haven't seen the apps crash, and they take care of the battery. Excellent clients in terms of how optimized they are.

alpha beta gaga

Mar 7, 2013
Visit site
i was in spain on holiday over xmas. having been used to google maps for the past few years on my previous droid phones, i was unsure just how i'd get on with here maps on my 920 but i can never see myself going back to gmaps now. i'll list my loves below

the offline feature is superb. this really is underated. much better than the caching thingy gmaps has.
walking navigation w/ compass is fantastic
fast accurate gps tracking
sync your content on a web browser HERE - City and Country Maps - Driving Directions - Satellite Views - Routes with your phone eg collections
navigation is very clear and easily readable
livesight integration to see what is around you

stalemate1

Aug 29, 2013
Visit site
It really depends on where you live. I've found that HERE covers the US and Canada, as well as much of Europe, very well. Coverage is spotty elsewhere, though.

As N_LaRUE said, HERE on Lumias are actually a step back from the mapping clients found on Symbian devices, and from my experience, on par with S60 devices.
That said, HERE works great offline, I haven't seen the apps crash, and they take care of the battery. Excellent clients in terms of how optimized they are.

Why? :what: what dose the symbian variant of HERE have that the Lumia variant does not ? Or what does it do better ?

Also how do you update the here maps on lumia ?

odin09

Jun 30, 2012
Visit site
I have had pretty good results but not perfect. The maps load quick and there is no lag. For some reason though I have had a few places where the directions just led me on a wild goose chase. No weird destinations, just restaurants in New Jersey! I have also has a few fastest routes that took me through back roads instead of going straight on a highway. Still, compares favorably with my Garmin.

schiznatch

Dec 4, 2013
Visit site
The only problem I've had with Here Maps is that I can't figure out if it's possible to change the route when you get directions.

For example, when on my PC, I can go to Google Maps and get directions and gives me the quickest/shortest path. If I don't like that path, I can drag the line to force it to change to another path and it gives new directions on the new course. If it's possible to change the course when asking for directions, hopefully someone will tell me how.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
Why? :what: what dose the symbian variant of HERE have that the Lumia variant does not ? Or what does it do better ?

Also how do you update the here maps on lumia ?

I found the routing better on Symbian, the traffic was fast and things rerouted to suit. No traffic camera warnings anymore. It was very slick on N8. With HERE it just feels a touch lacking still. It's good but not fantastic. Has some way to go in my opinion. For a basic GPS its good.

I blame the locked down nature of WP as to why it still lags behind Symbian.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
The only problem I've had with Here Maps is that I can't figure out if it's possible to change the route when you get directions.

For example, when on my PC, I can go to Google Maps and get directions and gives me the quickest/shortest path. If I don't like that path, I can drag the line to force it to change to another path and it gives new directions on the new course. If it's possible to change the course when asking for directions, hopefully someone will tell me how.

As far as I know it doesn't. I find the GPS can be stubborn in a way. I'm not sure what they did with the algorithms but I find sometimes it just goes where it wants to whether its the best way or not, even with the traffic conditions taken into consideration. I have been at the mercy of the thing a couple if times. :p

explosive0

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
The one day I tried using Nokia maps to walk in downtown Houston, I swore never to use it again. For almost 10 minutes, GPS wouldn't lock in. When it finally did, it wouldn't get its orientation right. It'll tell me to head in one direction and a few minutes later tell me to head in the opposite direction. Tried with my iPhone the next day and it was perfect. Also, I can't believe Nokia still hasn't figured out a way to make this app reduce the volume of music streaming in the background instead of cutting it out completely.

stalemate1

Aug 29, 2013
Visit site
I found the routing better on Symbian, the traffic was fast and things rerouted to suit. No traffic camera warnings anymore. It was very slick on N8. With HERE it just feels a touch lacking still. It's good but not fantastic. Has some way to go in my opinion. For a basic GPS its good.

I blame the locked down nature of WP as to why it still lags behind Symbian.

Would you say that Here is sufficient so I wouldn't need to download another map application as I did with map factor and Google maps an Android ?

Also is it good for finding the location of small businesses ? Such as a small local restart in the back of some small street ?

stalemate1

Aug 29, 2013
Visit site

But by default, does here at least give you the shortest path ?

nycny

Nov 27, 2009
Visit site
I'll give you an honest opinion here.

I've had a Nokia N8 before a Lumia. I preferred the maps on the N8 over the Lumia when HERE first came out. Lots of stuff was missing.

However, it's gotten better and will continue to get better I'm sure. Just make sure you set the route settings to Fastest otherwise you can end up taking the long way somewhere. I also find the traffic is a bit slow.

The maps are completely offline but you need to have them on your phone. The maps can go on the SD card if your phone has one. If you get one of the flagships you get the option of having the whole world on your phone. :p

Yes the maps are continuously updated. Yes you can find a place on the map and get directions by tapping. Either walking, transit or driving.

All GPS systems have bits missing. It's a reality of the system. None are perfect but HERE is pretty good overall. Since it's free I don't feel a need to complain much. :)

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
Would you say that Here is sufficient so I wouldn't need to download another map application as I did with map factor and Google maps an Android ?

Also is it good for finding the location of small businesses ? Such as a small local restart in the back of some small street ?

For optimal performance the GPS works best with online connection for finding those obscure places. In most cases as long as you have the address, even offline, you'll still find the place I'd say 99% of the time.

It's only when you just have a name only is when you may have difficulty with offline.

Of course, some areas are mapped better than others but that's the reality of all GPS systems. I haven't had too much difficulty but I have run into times where Google, Symbian and HERE, have failed me.

I have found in recent times that HERE is a lot better than when it first came out. So like I mentioned it continues to improve. The maps were recently updated as well.

I think you'll be satisfied with HERE but keep in mind no GPS system is 100% and it is a fairly basic GPS but does the job well enough 95% of the time. The good thing is that it will continue to get better as time goes by.

uopjo6

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site
Not really good IMO. Could be where you live.

I had a Lumia 800 when I was living in Europe and it worked flawlessly. (not called HERE maps back then).
I moved to a pretty big city in the East and now HERE maps almost NEVER gets my location accurately using L920. Quite a few streets off even.

Not sure is it because there is much more info to process.

Sorry to say for now I find Google maps to be much more detailed. Displaying Subway exit letters is a big + and sadly HERE maps doesn't have it yet. These small details make a big difference.

nycny

Nov 27, 2009
Visit site
I work and drive for work around Southeast New York State, including NYC (the first part of nycny, if anyone interested).
I drive a a service truck, commercial.
There are many roads in my service territory which are restricted from commercial traffic.
My vehicle GPS continually routes my trip on parkways, restricted.
Nokia Here Drive set on balanced mode most often chooses a route which avoids restricted roads.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leviwilkersion