Buy Surface Pro 3 now or wait?

MrRAG

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
Hi, I have wanted a Surface Pro 3 since they were announced but financially have not been ale to afford one. Now I am in the position to get one, I feel that a long time has past since released, and I worry (as this always happens with me) that they will soon go on sale or have a special offer or the Surface Pro 4 will be announced.
What are your feelings towards this. Is there any news on the rumour mill about a sale/offer or the SP4?

Any comment is greatly appreciated, thanks.

Richard

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
If you can wait, then I would suggest you wait as there is only 4 months until the alleged release of Windows 10. However if you can't and get an opportunity to buy one fairly cheap - go for it.

As it is an amazing device and you wouldn't be disappointed, however just make sure you get the model which will suit your needs as the i3 model will be plenty for some but will be lacking in oomph for some.

CliveSinclair

Oct 14, 2014
Visit site
You could wait, then wait, then wait.... always the same question. If you want one and can afford why not buy now. The only reason would be if you know (not rumours) of the release date for an SP4. Oh and when the SP4 does come out it WILL have production issues that will require ironing out - just as the SP3 did.

I have two recent SP3's and no issues at all (i7/256, i7/512)

bells0

Sep 12, 2014
Visit site
Noticed that MS UK have reduced their prices of the i5 and 7's and are also offering ?101 cash back at topcashback, which is quite a saving.

I've just done a deal with someone local through gumtree and will pick up my 3 month old i5 128g with red type cover this weekend. ?575 cash. No way i could pay what a new SP4 will be, although i think this is a good price i'm paying, maybe it won't be in a months time :)

The German MS site seems to have very good pricing too, free delivery to the UK.

Bolimomo

Feb 21, 2015
Visit site
I just bought a SP3 (i7/256GB), used it for 2 weeks then discovered a big problem for me, and returned it. After I got the opportunity to research the issue and understood what it is, I may repurchase it.

Basically the SP3's one and only USB 3.0 port is under-powered. If you hook up an external USB 3.0 drive or device that doesn't have its own power, and rely on getting power from the "computer" (even when it is plugged in), you will experience constant disconnect and reconnect. I used it for an external USB 3.0 2TB hard drive for backups and software installation (my own vault). It doesn't have its own power supply (for my travelling). For me it is crucial. If you don't use the USB 3.0 port for anything, you may be all right.

For me to get around the problem, I would need to buy a USB 3.0 T-split connector, have the extra USB cord (for power) to plug in to a 110V-to-USB power adapter. Just messy.

Google "Microsoft Surface Pro 3 USB 3.0 disconnect" or something like that and you will find plenty of discussions on it.

princeegli

Mar 2, 2014
Visit site
I just bought a SP3 (i7/256GB), used it for 2 weeks then discovered a big problem for me, and returned it. After I got the opportunity to research the issue and understood what it is, I may repurchase it.

Basically the SP3's one and only USB 3.0 port is under-powered. If you hook up an external USB 3.0 drive or device that doesn't have its own power, and rely on getting power from the "computer" (even when it is plugged in), you will experience constant disconnect and reconnect. I used it for an external USB 3.0 2TB hard drive for backups and software installation (my own vault). It doesn't have its own power supply (for my travelling). For me it is crucial. If you don't use the USB 3.0 port for anything, you may be all right.

For me to get around the problem, I would need to buy a USB 3.0 T-split connector, have the extra USB cord (for power) to plug in to a 110V-to-USB power adapter. Just messy.

Google "Microsoft Surface Pro 3 USB 3.0 disconnect" or something like that and you will find plenty of discussions on it.

WOW.......and Microsoft Hypes it,as Laptop replacement.....when it can't even power an external Drive.

My Laptop does...I still like the SP3....but this is a concern to me.

Bolimomo

Feb 21, 2015
Visit site
One more note from me about SP3.

It is a hybrid between "mainstream Windows laptop" and a tablet like ipad. The user interface takes a little to get used to. Basically Microsoft tried to have the best of both worlds. So they (Windows 8) provide the look and feel of the tablet stuff (swipe, finger gesture/clicking). Then they provide a "portal" to access the classical Windows (7 and earlier versions) when you access your "desktop". The user interactions are different in these 2 worlds. For example, in classical Windows, you click on the upper right corner on the "X" mark to exit the application. In the tablet world, there is no "exit". The app just runs. There is no X mark. I haven't figured out how to dismiss the app. There is no "right click" to "close the window" to dismiss them. You see something odd. You can start the Microsoft Internet Explorer from the Window's context. You get one incident of IE. Then you can start Microsoft Internet Explorer from the tablet's "Start Menu" context. You get another incident of IE. They are 2 different versions. They have their own history lists and set of tabs (currently opened pages) and so on. At times they are very confusing. The conventional Windows app (such as Microsoft Word, Powerpoint, etc.), you access through the "desktop" portal. The modern tablet apps (such weather, news, shopping, etc.), you access through the new Start Menu. The 2 environments just co-exist. Took me a while to get used to.

anon(4054009)

Jun 10, 2013
Visit site
One more note from me about SP3.

It is a hybrid between "mainstream Windows laptop" and a tablet like ipad. The user interface takes a little to get used to. Basically Microsoft tried to have the best of both worlds. So they (Windows 8) provide the look and feel of the tablet stuff (swipe, finger gesture/clicking). Then they provide a "portal" to access the classical Windows (7 and earlier versions) when you access your "desktop". The user interactions are different in these 2 worlds. For example, in classical Windows, you click on the upper right corner on the "X" mark to exit the application. In the tablet world, there is no "exit". The app just runs. There is no X mark. I haven't figured out how to dismiss the app. There is no "right click" to "close the window" to dismiss them. You see something odd. You can start the Microsoft Internet Explorer from the Window's context. You get one incident of IE. Then you can start Microsoft Internet Explorer from the tablet's "Start Menu" context. You get another incident of IE. They are 2 different versions. They have their own history lists and set of tabs (currently opened pages) and so on. At times they are very confusing. The conventional Windows app (such as Microsoft Word, Powerpoint, etc.), you access through the "desktop" portal. The modern tablet apps (such weather, news, shopping, etc.), you access through the new Start Menu. The 2 environments just co-exist. Took me a while to get used to.
To dismiss an app swipe down from the top of the screen. The app will shrink down,pull it to the bottom of the screen and it will disappear. If you hold the app at the the bottom of the screen for a few seconds the app will flip. That means it is closed

CliveSinclair

Oct 14, 2014
Visit site
IF you want a full powered USB, then yes you are going to need a full size laptop. Let's not forget that the SP3 (with all it's faults) is a pretty small, lightweight, but powerful device, with decent battery life. Something has to give in a form factor like the SP3. Microsoft choose the number and power of ports.

I use powered USB hubs to use my Lightroom catalogue - stored on a DROBO disk array - not a big issue.

It also depends on the type of drive. SSD's can run direct from the USB port. I have a 512gb and no disconnect issues. My 1TB HDD does not even spin up/connect directly, but I never expected it to.

Richard Servello

Aug 19, 2014
Visit site
IF you want a full powered USB, then yes you are going to need a full size laptop. Let's not forget that the SP3 (with all it's faults) is a pretty small, lightweight, but powerful device, with decent battery life. Something has to give in a form factor like the SP3. Microsoft choose the number and power of ports.

I use powered USB hubs to use my Lightroom catalogue - stored on a DROBO disk array - not a big issue.

It also depends on the type of drive. SSD's can run direct from the USB port. I have a 512gb and no disconnect issues. My 1TB HDD does not even spin up/connect directly, but I never expected it to.

I'd you get a dock it extends the number of USB 3 ports and they are all powered.

MrRAG

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
As the SP3 has now got an excellent offer and we know more about the future, i just wanted to ask this question again. Just coaring opinions against the recent rumours of the surface 3 and sp4

BGrewer

Feb 11, 2015
Visit site

Bolimomo, I think that this issues been resolved, last week I backed up my filed using an external Hard drive (Toshiba STOR.E basics) which doesn't rely on external power and I found it easy to back up-the device wasn't disconnecting and reconnecting. However, this was on a i5/256GB Surface :/

BGrewer

Feb 11, 2015
Visit site
As the SP3 has now got an excellent offer and we know more about the future, i just wanted to ask this question again. Just coaring opinions against the recent rumours of the surface 3 and sp4

It really depends what you want to use it for, if your a student (like me) I would get the Surface 3 due to its low cost and that fact that it runs full blown windows (unlike the RT version, which was good but at times was very constricting to what you could run) also it has up to 10hrs battery life. Sadly I got the Surface Pro 3 before the Surface 3 was announced, and I would have jumped at the chance of getting the Surface 3, but sadly its past the 2 week return point as I got the tablet last month :/
I would get the Surface Pro 3 if your running multiple programmes and need more power. Also the pens free and you have to wait 'till next month when the Surface 3 is released. Also, just to reiterate Clive's point that the Surface 4 will have post-release problems which will need ironing out, so I would probably go with the Pro 3... if you need it

Guzzler3

May 4, 2012
Visit site
It's odd that some people are having issues with the USB port. I have an unpowered 2TB USB3 drive that I put on my i7/256 SP3 and have zero issues with. Spins up, transfer files at USB3 specs. Actually I'm always throwing on various USB devices on my SP3, and I haven't encountered any issues. Weird.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NunezGuad