Cortana crashing during search

invisik

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
Search suddenly stopped working

So just about 30 minutes ago, I was taping the magnifying glass on the bottom of the screen and searching for stuff just fine. Then all of a sudden whatever the windows is called that the magnifying glass brings up closed on it's own. I tap the magnifying glass again, it brings up the search field, and after tapping to go, the window closes.

I did a regular shutdown of the phone and did soft reset..... Search still crashes every time.

Any other ideas of what else can I do to try to fix this? I don't really want to do a hard reset if I don't have to.......

I am on developers preview .36 on the Lumia 950 ATT edition.

Thanks!

-m

albe231

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
Unlocked 950 XL with 10586.29 build and 15454 firmware. Cortana crashes to home screen immediately after executing a web search. Any internal search and asking for the weather works. However, trying something that would give web/Bing results, such as 'season' or 'test', just crashes to home. Restarting has not fixed the issue.

CombatRock

Feb 20, 2013
Visit site
Re: Search suddenly stopped working

Yup, wait it out. Don't do the hard reset. You can speak to Cortana and it should provide results in your search for a short term solution.

920Walker

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
My 920 was doing the same a couple hours ago. It's rebooted 3x today on its own today while using it. Latest build, has been quite problematic. At one point I could see faintly different colored white text on the white search box; text I was typing but thought it was buffering before showing; that was something I've never seen before.

jmshub

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site

Yep, I'm seeing the same problem. Weirdly, I could voice search, but if I typed in a search query, the app would crash.

jmshub

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
I merged two related threads on the same issue with Cortana, if anyone is wondering where the other thread went.

invisik

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site

Bummer....

Still crashing for me this morning too... Will wait it out and keep the thread updated...

Thanks.

-m

Derausgewanderte

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
what fixed it for me on three phones with W10M (640, 640XL and 920) was to disable location under quick setting, search something, then enable it again. Hasn't crashed again since.
cheers

Last edited:

WP_Love

Apr 27, 2019
Visit site
The solution in my case was to download the correct speech language within settings / speech.

(This will require a reboot)

In my case in was UK English, then make sure that matches what is in Cortana settings.

After that everything worked great.

I think what is broken is the notification that the correct language is not installed, so you are left to guess what the problem is!!

Hope this helps someone.

Cheers,

WP_Love

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs