Does anyone use notifications?

Elky64

Jun 2, 2017
Visit site
Of course I use notifications. I guess those who say they don't never actually use their computer and spend all their time on their phones.

Use a computer quite regularly yet my phone is our go-to device for notifications. Never had the need with past versions of Windows and definitely no need now.

real0395

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Notifications are useful to me on a mobile formfactor like a smartphone, but on a pc/tablet their frankly distracting. To me notificatoins have no value in windows 10 for me. I never use it really. For me the function of the action center is more valuable the way it works in windows 8, like the charmsbar, with search and settings, -quick actions-, for me being the main reasons to go there. Windows has had a legacy of being bombarded with notications, even in previous itterations of windows, to point of annoyance and distracting and counterproductive for me. Windows has enough alternatives for notifcaitons in action center, like the familiar notification popups from the web, apps and OS, live tile notifications on the tiles and counter badges on pinned icons on the taskbar and the apps/legacy programs themselves. Enough distraction to keep one busy from the real task at hand.
Instead I would like to see the windows/cortana search bar moved to the action center. That would be more valuable to me.

What do you mean windows has a legacy of being bombarded with notifications. They have worked the same way as any other phone notification system, you have to disable the ones you don't want otherwise you get them by default. It was no different on windows.

THE_Lawnboy

May 8, 2013
Visit site
I don't draw a distinction between mobile or desktop - it's all a real-time portal into what's going on in the world. Therefore I want the same notification functionality, with the same apps, on both PC and mobile. It's a big reason I think a future Surface device that runs WOA and takes full advantage of Continuum to be both mobile and desktop is ideal.

DRDiver

Mar 19, 2018
Visit site
I want the pop-ups (toast). I do not use the notification/action center. I don't use it on my Lumia devices, either. I never found a need for it and I still don't. All I need are toast notifications and live tiles. That's it.

DRDiver

Mar 19, 2018
Visit site
Then you would be incorrect. Some of us have a very specific set of criteria for usefulness. I use the toast notifications. I use live tiles. I do not like nor do I use the action/notification center. It is a useless feature for me. I spend all day on either my PC, tablet or phone. I've never needed to look at a list of my old notifications. Live tiles tell me if there's anything updated, so I can always open the tile up to see what happened.

TechFranz

Jan 3, 2014
Visit site
I use them more. Got used to the notification center on my Mac. The fly-out box is a bit annoying...I wish they would just offer a transparent Pop-up bubble or maybe a small banner at the the too of the screen like Android. I wonder if Modern/Metro is starting to show its age as well...

neo158

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
I use notifications, purely because it lets me deal with them later if I need to. I do have Focus Assist set up though as that helps cut down on interruptions.

ad47uk

May 17, 2016
Visit site
I have turned off all notifications on my computer, but i did get one yesterday from defender saying if have not found any infections and that my computer have been scanned six times since when ever, strange really because i thought I disabled defender. I must have a look at that.

I find notifications distracting, unless it is something really important like my computer is over heating and my CPU is going to burst into flames. :)

ad47uk

May 17, 2016
Visit site
Of course I use notifications. I guess those who say they don't never actually use their computer and spend all their time on their phones.

No. maybe some but not all. I use my computer a lot more than I use my phone, but i do not use the Ms eco-system. I have disabled cortana, I do not use windows apps, so there is no need for them to send me notifications, if i plug a usb into my computer i know what I plugged in, so I do not need Windows telling me a usb device have been plugged in.

My email is done via thunderbird.

So what have windows notification got left to tell me?

Hansjuerg Wuethrich

Oct 3, 2017
Visit site
Nope, i disabled the notifications-center. Even the icon on the bottom right is not visible. I also deinstalled EMail, Calendar, Contacts and so on. So i use 90% only PWAs (ChromeApps or Shortcuts to the Web) on my Win10. Sometimes i think, it would be better to buy a Chromebook than this WIndows 10 Notebook :-( BUT anyway, i use notifications. But NOT with WIndows10, but with CHrome Notifications also on Desktop. Works perfect!

hbjoroy

Jan 26, 2012
Visit site
At work - quiet hours always on, at home I bulk-clear them once in a while.

Notifications mostly noise, also on my (android) phone. I try to manage notifications so they're useful, but I'm loosing the battle. These days I even ignore phone or watch vibrating, because I can't figure out which of the tens of notifications wanted my attention.

lawalove

Mar 7, 2018
Visit site
I use it for Twitter, Teams, Outlook, Skype, Messenger and my news apps. Facebook though is out for pasture. I only use my job cell phone to receive and make calls. Email on our cell phone are forbidden due to GDPR and NIS and company regulations, since I am working for a state owned company within the e-Health sector.

Brian2014

Aug 27, 2015
Visit site
I use them to receive SMS when I'm at my PC, I can also reply to them from the notification centre. Android phone linked to PC with Cortana, works really well

Dare2Blink

Jan 21, 2012
Visit site
Yeah I do all the time, just wish there was a way for them to automatically not pop up when watching a video on full screen. I know you can make them quiet automatically when playing games but as far as I know not for videos

tulx

Sep 19, 2013
Visit site
I use notifications all the time. I also bound Win+A on a mouse button for convenience. It had honestly never occurred to me that someone might not use them - I find the Action Centre to be an integral part of Windows. I especially appreciate the ability to reply to Skype conversations directly in the notification. Cortana also does a great job at synchronising notifications across my devices (home desktop, work laptop, phone).

Richard Toft

Mar 26, 2014
Visit site
I use them at work I find them really useful especially as people use different messaging types email, skype, text etc. So if your in a job or its a priority you keep up to date from multiple communication streams, then you really appreciate this feature.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LilyyVon