Does Office for WP has any future?

Boris Alexandrov

Apr 18, 2014
Visit site
Hey guys,

Just wanted to share my huge disappointment with MS efforts on Office for WP.
Powerful, convenient and 100%-compatible Office for WP might be the killer feature for the OS and boost end consumer sales, as well as the whole corporate clients channel.
Instead, Office for WP has not been updated for 3 years. Moreover, MS launched same disabled Office on iOS and Android.

Does Office for WP has any great future? Please share your thoughts/insights on this.

anon(7900571)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
I love using office on my Lumia 920 (windows phone 8.1 dev preview ). I can easily create documents (word ) , edit data in excel. Office is a part of windows phone (moreover Microsoft ). Office for iOS and android does have a readability option but to edit documents you need office 365 subscription. I wont complain since I use office on my netbook.

Boris Alexandrov

Apr 18, 2014
Visit site
I love using office on my Lumia 920 (windows phone 8.1 dev preview ). I can easily create documents (word ) , edit data in excel. Office is a part of windows phone (moreover Microsoft ). Office for iOS and android does have a readability option but to edit documents you need office 365 subscription. I wont complain since I use office on my netbook.

I see your point with subscription, but I still don't understand why editing options are so limited.

Large part of my work is actually working with documents, and never could I rely on WP editing options. To say the least, I need: In Word - pictures attaching and bulleting; in Excel - cells copying/pasting, in Powerpoint - moving around objects and inserting new textboxes/pictures.

In the end, Office isn't the competitive advantage at all, even giving it away to iWork/Docs2Go. I hope MS is working on some new Office experience for WP power users and corporate clients.

Bobvfr

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site
I think you should change your question, WP is a phone OS, Windows and Windows RT are PC/Tablet OS's.

Hardware wise mobiles are catching up quickly but they are still only mobiles.

I do believe the industry (Not only Microsoft) are working towards a single OS across all platforms, in Microsoft's case compared to Android this is maybe a bit harder as Windows is a large full bodied PC OS and still needs to be cut down to fit a phone, whereas some versions of Android are OK for mobiles but need a lot more work to be a fully fledged OS for PC's.

Has Office on WP have a future, yes I would say as long as there is a WP OS.

If I need a full blown version of Office I would pick up my Surface or Laptop not my phone.

Bob

slbailey1

Sep 3, 2006
Visit site
Full Office is coming to Windows Phone!

Microsoft is working on a full feature touch version of Office for Windows 8.1. This will be a universal app, which mean it will also run on all Windows Phones running 8.1.

Posted via the WPC App for Android!

Boris Alexandrov

Apr 18, 2014
Visit site
Hey Bailey,

Unfortunately, 'Universal App' notion has nothing to do with cross-platform code compatibility, there's been an article on WPCENTRAL on that topic.

Also, touch-enabled Office is already there for iPad, that only proves that WP will get it last if any.

Apoc

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
I agree with Boris, at the beginning I loved the fact that Office was on WP and although I knew some features were lacking, I figured in time MS would bring them back. Anyone that used WM, loved the ability to copy/paste cells, along with dragging and other useful tools, they quickly noticed it was missing in WP version of Office/Excel. I was hoping that was going to be one of the surprises in WP 8.1 update, but so far, nothing. I'm able to get around it by making sure all of my devices stay sync and when needed, switch over to Surface, laptop, or PC. I really feel MS, is missing that true killer feature, by not really giving the business users the power to really use Excel, like that did in WM. Even if MS, had released full controls for devices 5" or bigger phablet type devices, could and would really set it above the other platforms. If you have apps in Android and iOS marketplace, that allows this function on those devices, shouldn't MS have this built in the App/OS, itself?

Paul Kortman

Jul 9, 2014
Visit site
I agree with Boris, at the beginning I loved the fact that Office was on WP and although I knew some features were lacking, I figured in time MS would bring them back. Anyone that used WM, loved the ability to copy/paste cells, along with dragging and other useful tools, they quickly noticed it was missing in WP version of Office/Excel. I was hoping that was going to be one of the surprises in WP 8.1 update, but so far, nothing. I'm able to get around it by making sure all of my devices stay sync and when needed, switch over to Surface, laptop, or PC. I really feel MS, is missing that true killer feature, by not really giving the business users the power to really use Excel, like that did in WM. Even if MS, had released full controls for devices 5" or bigger phablet type devices, could and would really set it above the other platforms. If you have apps in Android and iOS marketplace, that allows this function on those devices, shouldn't MS have this built in the App/OS, itself?

As newbee on WP 8.1 I must say the very restricted editing possibilities of Word on Wp are very disappointing, moreover if you see how very word apps like Textmaker Mobile on Android are. So the excuse that Wp is 'only' meant for mobiles' won't work.

lancepr

Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
WP Excel is such a disappointment, the excel files I need to use on my WP I have to really simplify and not use any advance functions.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
quicktravo