GPS not working correctly in Lumia 730

raker

Oct 27, 2013
Visit site
I purchased a Lumia 730 2 weeks ago and today I tried to navigate using HERE Drive+.
Here maps shows my location as within 1km of a circled area.
When I started the navigation, the location pointer was still and was not moving at all when I was driving. I reached my destination but the pointer was still at the place where I starred.

Is this issue with my Lumia 730 only or you have also faced this?

Should I get my device replaced?

Lumiana

Banned
Jan 28, 2015
Visit site
One last option.... Uninstall here drive and reinstall again. Also try google maps... If that works then you know your phone is fine

Robi_r

Apr 5, 2015
Visit site
The same issue here, I bought a lumia 730 last week, offline gps not finding or navigating routes, online it finds the route at times voice instructions given but gps pointer not moving as car moves. It works good with lumia 520 but here drive is worse in lumia 730. Is it because of faulty device or app issue? Microsoft has any fix other than reinstalling here drive sine I tried it but never worked. Helps appreciated.
Thanks.

ekstraway

Apr 8, 2015
Visit site
Hello!

I have the same issue. GPS finds the location in my Nokia Lumia 730 DS up to several minutes! Sometimes it did not fix. I mean coming from the satellite location in the open air without an internet connection, A-GPS location that is coming from GSM data set is faster, but the position is inaccurate and Here Drive + application does not lead to the destination. For this reason, I replaced the phone with the new ones, but the situation still exist.

The problem has already been described in other forums.. GPS gives the location only with an Internet connection. Offline it doesn't work.
I hope that Nokia and Microsoft will fix this bug with next update of WP 8.1. See how in this phone you determines the location with GPS?

l730ds

Apr 12, 2015
Visit site
I know for a fact that this GPS issue is not individual; I'm also facing it.

Whenever I fire up Here Drive+ (with no internet connection) it identifies my location, however the location pointer doesn't move while I'm driving, it just stays stuck at the same point where the GPS got position lock. No speed data nor anything. That is not to mention that Here Maps most of the time keeps saying "Searching for your location" even if the internet connection is turned ON!.

I tried to isolate the issue and downloaded Hardware Tests app and tested the GPS, the phone was able to pinpoint my location with "Satellite" being the source, so that probably means that the GPS hardware is at least working. I haven't tried soft resetting the phone nor uninstalling Here Maps and Here Drive+

IMO, this is probably a software bug that should be fixed in an update or considered before W10 is released. It's a shame that a phone of such decent specs would lay to waste because of such an annoying issue.

Last edited:

Kiran Sajeev

Apr 21, 2015
Visit site
Dear Friends, I am also having the same problem.
Actually the problem is not with here maps. Its with our phone itself. Just install the "Hardware Tests" App and have a gps test done. In the results, your current altitude will be shown as "0.000" and position source will be shown as "cellular" instead of "satellite". This is why gps is not responding or giving output of lower accuracy.
I dont know why this happens or how to fix this. But this problem is from the hands of the manufacturers. Lumia 535 is also said to be having the same problem. Microsoft gives some steps to reset the source to satellite by turning off update my date and time automatically and then performing a soft reset. But even hard reset is not solving the problem.
While considering the other side lumia 730 is a value for money. With its oled hd display, the design, noise reduction, camera etc.... It will be really strange for the microsoft to neglect this problem on such a good Phone.
I have used here maps ( initially Nokia maps ) on Nokia 500, Nokia 700, Nokia Lumia 520, Nokia Lumia 525, Nokia Lumia 620 which all gave astoninshing results and expect same performance in this product too.
If any one gets any solution or news about this issue please share it

ekstraway

Apr 8, 2015
Visit site
I think I found a half-solution of this problem. When I Turn mobile data on, GPS finding the location after 2-3 minutes and work correctly (position source as sattelite). The interesting thing is that after GPS finds the position (from satellite) you can turn off mobile data, and it will work properly.

Last edited:

Biediew

May 25, 2015
Visit site
Solution found on my device.

Before you start, turn of all background apps.

1. Turn on location
2. Switch of automatic background light intensity
3. Turn on Wi-Fi and Mobile internet if available.
4. Go to HERE maps and wait until you get a full green dot. After this zoom in and make sure you do no longer have a proximity-circle (saying he knows were you are in a proximity of eg 57m)
5. Don't change anything for like a minute once you have the green dot.
6. Now turn off wifi and mobile internet (mobile internet fix never gives a 100% correct location although the phone sometimes thinks this is the correct location and messes everything up)
7. Start using your phone with apps like runtastic etc.

I have been using my phone for 2 months now and only just found out this method (positive more than 5 times now). I used to have a nokia 620 which got the location much faster although I do remember it having issues in the beginning. This must have something to do with the a-gps locations.

Hopefully this was useful.

Gaurav Kumar Nilay

Jul 1, 2015
Visit site
I Too Have The Same Problem , My Lumia 720 is having same from since 10 Months , My Deivce Find My location , Find Routes and when Here Drive Plus is launched the arrow shows my start location and then get stuck and doesn't move even if i reach my destination , Following things i have noticed
1) The Speed Indicator in here drive Plus shows a (-) it doesn't show the speed
2) third party apps like V-Bike used to find your speed via GPS also don't work

My frined has 720 his device is working fine. Tell me if your probem is similar and if u found a solution pls inform me what you did

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99