How it could end.......(We need 4G)

bear_lx

Jun 28, 2011
Visit site
im not completely agreeing with people bashing wp7... i would never trade for an android, because of the facts you just mentioned. but i still feel wp7 needs to step it up, it is missing key features that have been out for a LONG time now... like quick toggle wifi and bluetooth, custom TONES, that can be set from the phone, better notifications, navigation... i mean c'mon MS. these are simple things that even mango didnt fix one year later. MS does have some very intuitive features, but a lot of which i dont use.

btw i do have an xbox 360 and i play COD almost daily, but there really isnt integration other than having an avatar on your phone and sending msgs... although not a whole lot more you can do, except multi player and voice msgs

hey im all in too, but i wont wait until it dies. if there is no hope it will be obvious by early next year, im guessing anyway. i hope it blows everything out of the water! i have an xbox 360, a custom built pc, and now a wp7, so i support MS

selfcreation

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
it is missing key features that have been out for a LONG time now... like quick toggle wifi and bluetooth, custom TONES, that can be set from the phone, better notifications, navigation... i mean c'mon MS. these are simple things that even mango didnt fix one year later. MS does have some very intuitive features, but a lot of which i dont use.
every thing you just mentioned is coming in MANGO..... i fail to see the problem

custom tones = mango , toggle wifi + bluetooh = Mango ( API we haven’t seen integrated yet ) NAvigation = new IE9 , Notification also get a update ( dont bring up the LED cause some WP have it )

i thinkt he BIG problem is . people get the mango betta ..and dont relies that the beta doesn’t do it justice cause half the **** is still missing till the official. Mango Beta was a big mistake to get , I dint get it cause it give you a FAULs impression of it.

are you guys aware that NONE of the new API access have been released yet? and that alone can COMPLETLY change the OS? .and the features related to the MANGO updates.

bear_lx

Jun 28, 2011
Visit site
actually i take that back, this phone does what i need it to and i like it, which saying a lot since i went through droid phones like underwear. i am in it till it dies too

bear_lx

Jun 28, 2011
Visit site
no its not!!! i had mango and it had none of those things
*no quick toggles
* custom ringtones, not custom alerts... and its a nightmare to set them ( additionall software needed)
*what notifications? there is no beep reminder or led lgiht for texts and emails ( which i thought there was)
* the nav is a joke , you have to agree with me on this

lets be real self creation, its a great phone but im sure you are also wishing it had more. regardless of whether it just came out a year ago, its 2011, pushing 2012. thats like saying sony just came out with a new cd walkman, but lets give it time it just came out. when you come out with a new product you have to be ahead of the game, not behind it.

Last edited:

selfcreation

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
no its not!!! i had mango and it had none of those things
*no quick toggles
* custom ringtones, not custom alerts... and its a nightmare to set them ( additionall software needed)
*what notifications? there is no beep reminder or led lgiht for texts and emails ( which i thought there was)
* the nav is a joke , you have to agree with me on this

lets be real self creation, its a great phone but im sure you are also wishing it had more. regardless of whether it just came out a year ago, its 2011, pushing 2012. thats like saying sony just came out with a new cd walkman, but lets give it time it just came out. when you come out with a new product you have to be ahead of the game, not behind it.

well then you ditn explore you phone properly lol cause does are all Comfirmed features!!!!

notification: what you mean no beep? your phone muted? no Light? get rid of your HD7 and get one that ahs a LED light.

you havent seen the new NAV yet its not int he betta.

they are just not in the BETA. hence why getting mango betta was a bad idea. and just cause un-fair complaints reguarding the OS..

and i do agree i wish i had more .. but every thing i wish it ahd is comming and I not liek most . am being patient...

Also WP +Xbox + PC = alredy the BEST ECO SYSTEM on the market ... we could say that ECO SYSTEM are the future of Electronics and that the other are behind cause its not as good as MS`s.. lol so it goes both ways.

Last edited:

bear_lx

Jun 28, 2011
Visit site
my phone doesnt give me beep remiders, it does have an led notification but only for calls and voice mails, missing text and email... and so do all wp7 from what i hear in the thread created by big d... and i had mango rtm 7720 not mango beta... although now i am back on nodo patiently waiting for carrier release, which hopefully fixes some bugs

and so you are saying that it is confirmed that better ntofications, the ability to create custom tones right from the phone, quick toggles, and better navigation are coming? if so where did you get this info, could you please post?

selfcreation

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
my phone doesnt give me beep remiders, it does have an led notification but only for calls and voice mails, missing text and email... and so do all wp7 from what i hear in the thread created by big d... and i had mango rtm 7720 not mango beta... although now i am back on nodo patiently waiting for carrier release, which hopefully fixes some bugs

and so you are saying that it is confirmed that better ntofications, the ability to create custom tones right from the phone, quick toggles, and better navigation are coming? if so where did you get this info, could you please post?

Quick toggle is comming in the API acces. i saw info on that on this site + otehr electronique sites a LONG TIME ago. the problem now is that you just cant link it..

and Also with MS launching the Xbox Bluetooth it be stupid of them not to alow a quick toggle to go from Phone to Xbox to PC .

well notification i personally dont care i dont do 20000 e-mail/text/calls a month .... people want me to reply , then they can freakign wait till i look at my phone lol .. and i do quite often.

w/e buttom line .. IM HAPPY! . lol and mango is just gona make me that much more happy.

smartpatrol

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Relax. Next year is going to be huge for WP7. I'd say that IF WP7 is still struggling a year from now, it's a bad sign. But I don't think that will happen and here's why:

- As part of MS's deal with Nokia, WP7 will supposedly be getting Nokia's Ovi Maps for ALL devices, not just Nokia's. I hear this is one of the best maps/navigation programs out there

- the big Mango update, obviously

- 2nd wave of WP7 phones is imminent

- Nokia, one of the world's biggest smartphone manufacturers, switching to WP7 exclusively. Meaning we will finally see some true high-end flagship WP7 devices. (DO NOT underestimate Nokia if you live in the USA. They've never caught on in the US, but they are HUGE in Europe and in developing countries, and they're finally taking the US market seriously.)

- Nokia and MS supposedly have a lot of money set aside for a big advertising blitz.

- Android will be a lot less attractive to handset makers. HTC already pays MS $5 per Android device for patent royalties. MS is asking $15/device from Samsung, but Samsung is trying to negotiate it down to "only" $10/device in exchange for putting more focus on Microsoft products. The big one is Oracle, who could be collecting some serious royalties soon. And that's not to mention Google buying Motorola, which has to make their other handset partners very nervous.

- Launch of Windows 8. A lot more people will be exposed to the Metro UI and hopefully view Windows Phone as part of that same ecosystem. Not just a smartphone curiosity.

- The app catalog is growing like crazy, faster than iOS or Android were at this point in their lifetime. We just hit 30,000 apps. It won't be long before WP7's app catalog is just as good as Android's or iOS's.

So everybody, just chill out and give it some time. The way I see it, WP7 hasn't even gotten started yet.

nyquistjack

Aug 21, 2011
Visit site
Relax. Next year is going to be huge for WP7. I'd say that IF WP7 is still struggling a year from now, it's a bad sign. But I don't think that will happen and here's why:

- As part of MS's deal with Nokia, WP7 will supposedly be getting Nokia's Ovi Maps for ALL devices, not just Nokia's. I hear this is one of the best maps/navigation programs out there

- the big Mango update, obviously

- 2nd wave of WP7 phones is imminent

- Nokia, one of the world's biggest smartphone manufacturers, switching to WP7 exclusively. Meaning we will finally see some true high-end flagship WP7 devices. (DO NOT underestimate Nokia if you live in the USA. They've never caught on in the US, but they are HUGE in Europe and in developing countries, and they're finally taking the US market seriously.)

- Nokia and MS supposedly have a lot of money set aside for a big advertising blitz.

- Android will be a lot less attractive to handset makers. HTC already pays MS $5 per Android device for patent royalties. MS is asking $15/device from Samsung, but Samsung is trying to negotiate it down to "only" $10/device in exchange for putting more focus on Microsoft products. The big one is Oracle, who could be collecting some serious royalties soon. And that's not to mention Google buying Motorola, which has to make their other handset partners very nervous.

- Launch of Windows 8. A lot more people will be exposed to the Metro UI and hopefully view Windows Phone as part of that same ecosystem. Not just a smartphone curiosity.

- The app catalog is growing like crazy, faster than iOS or Android were at this point in their lifetime. We just hit 30,000 apps. It won't be long before WP7's app catalog is just as good as Android's or iOS's.

So everybody, just chill out and give it some time. The way I see it, WP7 hasn't even gotten started yet.

Feel good post of the week :) Well-said

Rhody#WP

May 3, 2011
Visit site
I like that MS is sitting back regarding 4G. They're taking the same approach as Apple, which is the smart one, because WP is more like Android than iOS.

Manufacturers who make Android devices do not compete on the OS plane, they compete on the hardware plane. That is why you see Android phones with huge screens, powerful processors, microSD slots, 10MP cameras, and 4G radios. I fell into the trap myself. I have an EVO 4G in my desk drawer. It's a beast, but it's not practical. 4G is useless if you can't get a signal or your battery dies. Someday it will be practical, but not in the next year or so.

Apple competes on the overall device level. They have the ability to make trade-offs that help the overall device. MS seems to be following that model, keeping hardware manufacturers in check to keep the overal device more practical. That is a good approach that, in my opinion, will win in the end.

chriss1928

Aug 27, 2011
Visit site
I gotta say I disagree with needing 4g. I think 4g is nice(I've used an EPIC and a EVO before) but honestly, here in Chicago sprint's 3g was laughable compared to my 3g on my Verizon Trophy. I have used every OS on all carriers minus T-Mobile and I think Windows Phone is doing just fine. I think they should advertise more and most likely will once mango hits. I have the beta currently and even though some of the features don't work correctly yet I think its going to be very big. My phone on 3g does Netflix streaming wonderfully and browsing is very snappy and the interface itself is one of the best in terms of speed, and also Last.fm which is my favorite music service is always rock solid and for me is a reason alone to own a Windows Phone. I will say the HTC arrive on sprint that I had was slow for streaming and made me hate the phone, Netflix and Youtube were slow and browsing was as well.

Currently Windows seems to have done a very good job at getting the most out of the hardware it has, on paper the Trophy should be just an average phone and I was skeptical at first but it has been far more enjoyable than anything Ive used from Apple(iphone 3g for 1 year, 2 tours of duty with GSM/CDMA i4, Google(countless Android phones Ive used, and RIM(curve 8530/bold9650/style/bold9930, and Palm(pre).

I also think once the apps keep coming in which they've done a nice job with, WP7 will make a bigger leap.

bear_lx

Jun 28, 2011
Visit site
it is definately a snappy , rock solid phone... i just hope it can compete. in terms of reliablity, it is the best ive used! just wish we could get them in more peoples hands, creat that demand for it. bring in more quality apps, and high end devices.

SolarPlexus

May 30, 2011
Visit site
LTE isn't remotely mature enough to cause that sort of disruption. The plans are in disarray. The devices are rough. The transmission rates are crap compared to their potential. Once the wireless carriers get their act together and device makers figure out how to make the hardware usable for more that a few hours, maybe the race to LTE will be on. Right now its just impotent marketing blather. Who cares if half the country is covered in LTE if no one uses it. When 3G was rolled out it was almost immediately usable.

chriss1928

Aug 27, 2011
Visit site
I think reliability is something wp7 does really well. I've had no battery pulls and everything just works no force closing my friend is a android guy and he complains of these issues and on all the Motorola handsets I used it was a big problem. Once the new mango phones come I think it'll catch on and Microsoft seems to be all in on this so I doubt they'll let it go to waste.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site

This is a big deal.

Mainly because so many people are complaining about having to touch the screen during turn-by-turn navigation.

A lot of people don't know that touching the screen isn't done as a result of some technical difficulty, software issue, or just dumb design. It's a legal issue with the mapping service where they can't offer free unassisted turn-by-turn voice navigation. So it's a work-around.

With Ovi-maps, they likely won't have that issue. Well... the Nokia phones won't anyway. Though I could see a scenario where the price of the OS to manufacturers might increase slightly in order to pay Nokia for the added services.

This is also huge. Windows 8 will literally look like Windows Phone. And there will be ARM based tablets. And XBOX's dashboard will be tile-based.

And let's not forget that Nokia's mapping service isn't the only thing they're contributing. They also have existing relationships and contracts with many countries for their marketplace. This could be leveraged to allow the Windows Phone Marketplace to expand quickly into areas where it is currently caught up in red tape.

Dave Blake

Mod and Ambassador Team Emeritus
Jan 11, 2008
Visit site
Guys we are the pioneers the explorers the bad science experiment if you will. This platform has room to grow this platform needs to grow Microsoft is in for the long hall so is Nokia. These threads bring the short comings to light these threads are where Microsoft will get what they need to make available to developers what developers need to give us what we want. Microsoft leaves things out (WIFI tether) so they can be introduces where and when it is rite to do so. The evidence is everywhere so relax people there is not one thing discussed in this thread that is not possible with Mango (I'm not sure about blinking led for notifications seams that has been left out) but has been left out for a reason. We will get 4G, we will get, custom alert tones, we will get WIFI tether everything is possible but left out for a reason we have room to grow we will grow its going to be a long time before the WoW factor is gone from Windows Phone so relax and enjoy the ride because we are the pioneers.

:cool: Dave

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oliveeAria