I feel behind with Windows Phone

scottcraft

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site
Every OS has it's flukes and issues, lacks, etc...I totally agree on that with all of you.
But I have NEVER had more of them with any os then now with WP (also this may seem subjective). I wonder who agrees with me on this ?
Anyone else actually thinks the same ?

I went from Motorola Droid to HTC Trophy, now I'm alternating between the Trophy and an HTC Rezound. The Motorola can't compare to the Trophy. The Trophy is less buggy, smoother and much more pleasant to use. The user experience of the Trophy is more enjoyable than the Rezound, but I have more bugs on the Trophy. Every time I get a software update one set of bugs gets fixed but another set gets added, therefore I use the Rezound more. I can't really say if these bugs I have with the Trophy are just HTC or are WP, but I suspect they are just on the Trophy. I'm confident when I get WP8 it won't be as buggy and I won't have to use android anymore.

Dave Blake

Mod and Ambassador Team Emeritus
Jan 11, 2008
Visit site
Lets review this on a case by case basis

Well those Live Tiles are basically Badges on a big square, which Android does - at least any skinned device (Sense 3+, TouchWiz 4+, LG UI, Motorola UI, Sony's UI all do this). That covers pretty much all major manufacturers here.

So your saying that Androids and IOs numbers on a square are the same as live tiles? Dynamic rotating content changing live tiles that change pictures, flash new content your saying that is the same as TouchWiz Widgets? I was a moderator on the AC helped hack and root devices tested ROMs for the developers worked on kernels all that for over a year. I though I knew the ins and outs of Android but ISC must have really changed things if what you are saying is true.

Lock Screen Notifications are done by literally all of those, as well. ICS allows you to pull down the Notification bar on a Locked screen so in addition to getting a raw count you also get context, easily, without unlocking your phone. It's much faster than opening the phone and going into an app to see exactly what that notification is about. Efficiency is key with mobile devices.

It's not just about seeing stuff, it's about efficient workflow. iOS does this as well - even better in some ways - with their lock screen notifications.

So (this is one of the things I hated about Android the most) you have notifications in your notifications drop down you see them there and on the widgets you have to open each one to clear the notification and some apps wont drop the numbers off the Widget until you open the app from the Widget. This means you have to go to 2 different places to clear a notification first the drawer to see you have one then to the app/widget to get all the notifications to go away. That doesn't sound very efficient to me.

If you get a Voicemail from a Telemarketer you have to unlock your phone and go to the Phone app to see that it's a bum phone number. All I have to do is pull down my notification bar from the lock screen and swipe it away. Additionally, I can swipe from the lock screen icon to open up that app directly to that element. You cannot do this from the WP7.5 lock screen.

My Windows Phone reads the number to me so I know instantly who is calling me. I don't even have to touch the phone.

Third party apps cannot post Lock Screen Notifications on WP7.5, so being able to pull down the Notification bar from the Lock Screen is a huge advantage. Additionally, WP7.5 has no cache, so for Apps without a Live Tile (or with a Volatile Live Tile) you either have to see the notification or there's a chance you won't know any new data came in until you actually open the application.

All true this is one where a notifications center could be of some use. I have said it before I am not a big Toast Fan so it really doesn't effect me all that much.

Facebook App Notifications on WP7 were consistently about 10 minutes behind Android and iOS for me. I tested this on YouTube on another forum, multiple times. The IM client notifies often minutes later than the Official App on iOS and 3rd party apps on Android (Beejive Pro and Trillian for Android), which I tested on YouTube on another forum, multiple times. Twitter on iOS and Android now has instant push notifications. Not the case on WP7.5 - this was a huge boon for people tweeting Results and Live Blogging through Twitter during the Olympics.

I used to carry 3 dispirate devices to get around these issues (iTouch tethered to my HD7 for iOS-exclusive apps/games, Vibrant with Active SIM/Data Plan for everything else smartphone-related, and the HD7 for calls/music streaming).

I have not seen one single app where Notification speed on WP7 was on par with iOS and Android. I don't think it's a platform issue, I think it's a back-end infrastructure issue. However, their method of typing in Services to Live.com and fetching data does not seem to be the most efficient as far as notification speed is concerned.

Mmmk...Your mileage may very.

It's totally possible Live Tiles are perfect for millions of people out there, but I prefer to not have to check my phone to see if something new came in. I want it to beep or Vibrate and let me know. In addition to being more efficient (since I can get to any of it without unlocking the phone, anyways), it makes sense and the Live Tiles don't provide anything I cannot get via a Badge or Widget, anyways.

It also lets my phone last longer since there is less on-screen time from constantly checking to see if anything new is in.

If you want anything other than a few stock apps that display raw numbers on the lock screen, you have to unlock a Windows phone and getting to those tiles often requires scrolling down. Over a day you can log an extra 30 minutes of on-screen time just from checking for notifications which can add up to be a factorable chunk of your battery capacity.

My phone makes one sound for emails and another sound for text messages yet another when I get a phone call. What else do I need? To be perfectly honest everything else needs to wait till I have time to turn on my screen and look at my device.

Don't get me wrong here I know Windows Phone has its short comings all I am saying is that my WP does what I need it to with out a lot of BS. I don't have to spend hours setting up 20 different ringer settings, clearing notifications in 20 different places so i don't have reminders everywhere. I need my device to do what I need it to when I need it to. My WP does all of that and it does it quickly.

The only reason I counter post you some times is because I am as much of a Windows Phone ****** as you are an Android ******. Every platform has negatives its hard for people who don't have and use Android devices to see the negatives so please don't pushing superiority of any platform. They all have good and bad.

eric12341

Dec 1, 2009
Visit site
I would also add that the reason why his Facebook notifications are even further behind is because he's logged into many places simultaneously.

scottcraft

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site
I don't get notifications as fast on my WP as on my android. Not a deal breaker by any means, but sometimes it gets a bit aggravating. I'll use fb as an example of this. I have fb set up to give me email notifications. Many times on my WP I get an email that someone has commented on a post of mine. The me tile doesn't reflect that and I can't refresh it to show the new notification. I can go into the fb app and find my post, see the comment and respond. This doesn't happen everyday, but it isn't infrequent. On my android usually I get the email notification and a fb notification at the same time. Wish I knew why they were different.

cckgz4

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
I find the delay of Facebook and twitter me tile notifications to be underwhelming compared to other platforms, but both of my twitter apps give me toasts if I get a mention. I've gotten used to it. Other than that I don't mind the notification system, but its not the best out there. It works for me

cckgz4

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
Lets review this on a case by case basis

So your saying that Androids and IOs numbers on a square are the same as live tiles? Dynamic rotating content changing live tiles that change pictures, flash new content your saying that is the same as TouchWiz Widgets? I was a moderator on the AC helped hack and root devices tested ROMs for the developers worked on kernels all that for over a year. I though I knew the ins and outs of Android but ISC must have really changed things if what you are saying is true.

So (this is one of the things I hated about Android the most) you have notifications in your notifications drop down you see them there and on the widgets you have to open each one to clear the notification and some apps wont drop the numbers off the Widget until you open the app from the Widget. This means you have to go to 2 different places to clear a notification first the drawer to see you have one then to the app/widget to get all the notifications to go away. That doesn't sound very efficient to me.

My Windows Phone reads the number to me so I know instantly who is calling me. I don't even have to touch the phone.

All true this is one where a notifications center could be of some use. I have said it before I am not a big Toast Fan so it really doesn't effect me all that much.

Mmmk...Your mileage may very.

My phone makes one sound for emails and another sound for text messages yet another when I get a phone call. What else do I need? To be perfectly honest everything else needs to wait till I have time to turn on my screen and look at my device.

Don't get me wrong here I know Windows Phone has its short comings all I am saying is that my WP does what I need it to with out a lot of BS. I don't have to spend hours setting up 20 different ringer settings, clearing notifications in 20 different places so i don't have reminders everywhere. I need my device to do what I need it to when I need it to and it does it quickly.

The only reason I counter post you some times is because I am as much of a Windows Phone ****** as you are an Android ******. Every platform has negatives its hard for people who don't have and use Android devices to see the negatives so please don't pushing superiority of any platform. They all have good and bad.

Preach Rev Blake. Preach! Especially on setting up 20 different alerts and clearing 5-6 notification areas

tekhna

Mar 21, 2012
Visit site
I'm sorry, but if you think having the ability to have contact pictures flip around on your screen is a substitute for how much information the new Jelly Bean notification center displays, then you're crazy.

jelly-bean-notifications.jpg

Just one example. Live Tiles have absolutely nothing on being able to quickly see, dismiss or respond to notifications.

Dave Blake

Jan 11, 2008
Visit site
I'm sorry, but if you think having the ability to have contact pictures flip around on your screen is a substitute for how much information the new Jelly Bean notification center displays, then you're crazy.

Click to view quoted image

Just one example. Live Tiles have absolutely nothing on being able to quickly see, dismiss or respond to notifications.

I am glad you are happy with what you have there.

I happen to like the way Live tiles are used and how I can dismiss notifications by simply opening a hub. I get a lot of emails I read them when I can. I like being able to open the mail hub see the new emails and without reading them my tile is cleared. I don't have to open each and every email to get the notification to go away. On my Android device my email icon/tile constantly show how many unread emails I have I hated that. I don't need that type of pressure.

Hows your dedicated camera button working?

We are just tossing ideas here right? My son has a GS3 its a nice device but I still wouldn't trade it for my Titan II. As cool as that device is its still slower to use. Moving from one app to the other opening IE posting jumping to the next think what ever that is is just more fluid on my TII. Again this is MHO

What about that weather channel tile flipping to show the radar and how my XBOX avatar peeks around the corner. The way my last song played show in the Zune tile. I can see right on my Wifes tile what her last post was and what new picture she has chosen for Facebook today. I guess its easy to say that there are advantages to every OS isn't there? But to say one is better than the other well that just isn't true because superiority like beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

tekhna

Mar 21, 2012
Visit site
I am glad you are happy with what you have there.

I happen to like the way Live tiles are used and how I can dismiss notifications by simply opening a hub. I get a lot of emails I read them when I can. I like being able to open the mail hub see the new emails and without reading them my tile is cleared. I don't have to open each and every email to get the notification to go away. On my Android device my email icon/tile constantly show how many unread emails I have I hated that. I don't need that type of pressure.

Hows your dedicated camera button working?

We are just tossing ideas here right? My son has a GS3 its a nice device but I still wouldn't trade it for my Titan II. As cool as that device is its still slower to use. Moving from one app to the other opening IE posting jumping to the next think what ever that is is just more fluid on my TII. Again this is MHO

What about that weather channel tile flipping to show the radar and how my XBOX avatar peeks around the corner. The way my last song played show in the Zune tile. I can see right on my Wifes tile what her last post was and what new picture she has chosen for Facebook today. I guess its easy to say that there are advantages to every OS isn't there? But to say one is better than the other well that just isn't true because superiority like beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

My dedicated camera button is fantastic--that's the beauty of Android. I remapped the home button on my GS3 to a dedicated camera button.

Dave Blake

Jan 11, 2008
Visit site
My dedicated camera button is fantastic--that's the beauty of Android. I remapped the home button on my GS3 to a dedicated camera button.

Its great that you can do that on Android very cool. Clearly an advantage of Android over WP. I didn't have to remap anything so mine just worked and I didn't loose the function of any buttons. It might be nice to have the choice to remap it if I wanted to. Maybe we will get that in WP8.

tekhna

Mar 21, 2012
Visit site
Its great that you can do that on Android very cool. Clearly an advantage of Android over WP. I didn't have to remap anything so mine just worked and I didn't loose the function of any buttons. It might be nice to have the choice to remap it if I wanted to. Maybe we will get that in WP8.

I gained functionality by switching to on-screen buttons, making multitasking easier. Windows Phone has that, right? Oh wait, no it doesn't.

cckgz4

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
Lmao why are you being an a**, especially over something as trivial as an opinion about YOUR OWN EXPERIENCE with smartphones? Does your experience trump everyone else? Please go back to android central. And btw, I own the Asus transformer, the lumia 900, and a Curve 9300. I have no bias

Dave Blake

Jan 11, 2008
Visit site
Lets calm dawn a little no one is being an ***. tekhna is just trying to rib me a little. He probably didn't like my "Hows your dedicated camera button" comment. We can all continue the the conversation in a civil manner.

scottcraft

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site
I gained functionality by switching to on-screen buttons, making multitasking easier. Windows Phone has that, right? Oh wait, no it doesn't.

WP and android accomplish most of the same things in different ways. That doesn't make one platform better than the other. I use WP and android and I can honestly say both platforms have their strengths, but better is a subjective term.

Dave Blake

Jan 11, 2008
Visit site

Its my opinion that WP doesn't need help to be more efficient. More choices would be nice to have as long as it doesn't take away from the user experience. We will soon see what MS has for us in WP8

mb-dape

Feb 7, 2012
Visit site
Something that I find frustrating is that although my Titan has a LED, it is not blinking when I got a new message or missed call. I can't have ringer tone when working, and I don't always feel the vibration. This means many unnecessary turn ons and battery drain every day. Such a basic option!

It is also so stupid that there is no option to turn off message preview at the lock screen. Great if you like it, but if you want your screen to still be off and no preview shown? I don't want everyone near my phone to read my messages when I get them. And I can't let anyone play with my phone because I may get a "classified" message. Ridiculous. It is also a very basic option to have. To

To you who say you love how WP works, can't you see that we don't want to ruin your "experience". We don't want to change how WP works, so what is wrong with having just some more basic options/features? So more users can have the WP experience their way...

Look at Android, you can install a custom shell for seniors that even a 80 year old can use, or a nerd can control his phone from the command line. Flexibility is surely one reason why Android is outselling WP.

Looking at the sales WP is apparently not attracting enough people, so is it really too much to ask for some simple customization options for us who have been spoiled by Android?

mhans311

Dec 23, 2011
Visit site
A lot of this conversation is moot anyway. We are comparing an OS that is about to be completely updated after being mostly the same for a couple years (WP) to one that just got its latest update (Android). Let's have another conversation about this after we fully see WP8. Right now, for me, Android with ICS is a much better experience. I like WP and I will reevaluate when WP8 drops.

The concerns the OP states were enough to push me away from WP for now.

Bionic'd from my tapatalk.

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
...Look at Android, you can install a custom shell for seniors that even a 80 year old can use, or a nerd can control his phone from the command line. Flexibility is surely one reason why Android is outselling WP....

Congratulations for making the most hilarious statement I've read in a long time. Who needs a GUI anyways. I walk around town all day controlling my Samsung Galaxy S II from the command line. shutdown -r +10 :lol:

Dave Blake

Jan 11, 2008
Visit site
You know I used a command line on my T2 to install Tango. I think I was sitting down at home when I did it. :confused:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cagkles124