I feel behind with Windows Phone

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
You know I used a command line on my T2 to install Tango. I think I was sitting down at home when I did it. :confused:

Who needs a GUI anyways? :D

509j8.png

mb-dape

Feb 7, 2012
Visit site
Congratulations for making the most hilarious statement I've read in a long time. Who needs a GUI anyways. I walk around town all day controlling my Samsung Galaxy S II from the command line. shutdown -r +10 :lol:

:) Cool :)

Actually I thought of how "nerds" flashes different kernels from Windows/Linux CLI but I bet there is an app for terminal commands on Android too. ;)

Last edited:

N8ter

Banned
Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
Lets review this on a case by case basis

So your saying that Androids and IOs numbers on a square are the same as live tiles? Dynamic rotating content changing live tiles that change pictures, flash new content your saying that is the same as TouchWiz Widgets? I was a moderator on the AC helped hack and root devices tested ROMs for the developers worked on kernels all that for over a year. I though I knew the ins and outs of Android but ISC must have really changed things if what you are saying is true.
90% of WP7 Live Tiles dont' do that. Most of the stock tiles even don't do that. Email, Messages, Phone, etc. They're all just badges. That's my point. The rest, you can get widgets, and Android supports scrollable, resizeable widgets there days. There is almost no difference between the two other than user interface.

So (this is one of the things I hated about Android the most) you have notifications in your notifications drop down you see them there and on the widgets you have to open each one to clear the notification and some apps wont drop the numbers off the Widget until you open the app from the Widget. This means you have to go to 2 different places to clear a notification first the drawer to see you have one then to the app/widget to get all the notifications to go away. That doesn't sound very efficient to me.
Android now allows you to swipe away individual notifications, so this is wrong and not worth delving into further.

My Windows Phone reads the number to me so I know instantly who is calling me. I don't even have to touch the phone.
An android phone can read the name to you as well.

My phone makes one sound for emails and another sound for text messages yet another when I get a phone call. What else do I need? To be perfectly honest everything else needs to wait till I have time to turn on my screen and look at my device.
Cause someone is going to sit at the conference table with their phone buzzing or beeping for a whole hour?

My bet is on WP8 having a notification cache. What's your wager? Microsoft simply can't be that ignorant.

The only reason I counter post you some times is because I am as much of a Windows Phone ****** as you are an Android ******. Every platform has negatives its hard for people who don't have and use Android devices to see the negatives so please don't pushing superiority of any platform. They all have good and bad.
I carried 3 distinct OSes including all the three I mentioned in this thread, so don't troll me with name calling. I'm not a ******. I use what lets me get things done best. WP7 just wasn't that. I ran to WP7 on release like a post-pubescent school girl. The experience simply didn't match up to the hype and I doubt Microsoft will ever be able to create the type of effect they had going before RTM with subsequent releases.

Other computer down and using this 2004 laptop to post so I cannot hit everything in length, sorry.

The fact that they aren't even going to upgrade the current phones left me with absolutely no choice than to go with Android because I changed carriers and there's no way I was going to buy a DOA device like a Lumia 900, Focus S, or Titan II knowing exactly what I was walking into.

Dave Blake

Mod and Ambassador Team Emeritus
Jan 11, 2008
Visit site
90% of WP7 Live Tiles dont' do that. Most of the stock tiles even don't do that. Email, Messages, Phone, etc. They're all just badges. That's my point. The rest, you can get widgets, and Android supports scrollable, resizeable widgets there days. There is almost no difference between the two other than user interface.

You are wrong Android doesn't have one single widget capable of doing what a live tile does.

Android now allows you to swipe away individual notifications, so this is wrong and not worth delving into further.

Yes you can swipe the notification away from the notification center but you still have to clear the notifications from the widgets. That isn't very officiant. Why when I read an email on my Android device does it not show as read on my exchange server. Thats not how its supposed to work.

An android phone can read the name to you as well.

If you knew both devices did this then why did you bring up the whole voice mail scenario?

Cause someone is going to sit at the conference table with their phone buzzing or beeping for a whole hour?

Why?! You know if you tap the little bell on a Windows Phone it stops making noise don't you?

My bet is on WP8 having a notification cache. What's your wager? Microsoft simply can't be that ignorant.

Microsoft might do that but if Microsoft opts to add a NC I hope it can be turned off. If it can be turned off I would be willing to bet a lot of people wont use it. I would also be willing to bet that if you clear a notification from the NC it will also dismiss it from the live tile.

I carried 3 distinct OSes including all the three I mentioned in this thread, so don't troll me with name calling. I'm not a ******. I use what lets me get things done best. WP7 just wasn't that. I ran to WP7 on release like a post-pubescent school girl. The experience simply didn't match up to the hype and I doubt Microsoft will ever be able to create the type of effect they had going before RTM with subsequent releases.

I carried 3 distinct OSes including all the three I mentioned in this thread, (oops! sorry no iPhone I do have a N8) so don't troll me with name calling. I'm not a troll. I use what lets me get things done best. Android just wasn't that. I ran to Android on release like a post-pubescent school girl. The experience simply didn't match up to the hype and I doubt Goggle will ever be able to create the type of effect they had going before RTM with subsequent releases.

Other computer down and using this 2004 laptop to post so I cannot hit everything in length, sorry.

The fact that they aren't even going to upgrade the current phones left me with absolutely no choice than to go with Android because I changed carriers and there's no way I was going to buy a DOA device like a Lumia 900, Focus S, or Titan II knowing exactly what I was walking into.

Maybe you should take a another look at WP when WP8 is released.

GoodThings2Life

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
-Facebook notifications? AS IF the app can notify you properly, let alone promptly
-the Me tile is always ages behind
-the only to sync 'read' status with my Gmail email account is to do it manually
-it takes at least two or three tries to dismiss notifications from the phone app
-marketplace updates are delayed
-the Wi-Fi won't even stay on when the phone is locked, causing further delay (and no, none of the homebrewed attempts work)

I've read only some of the comments on this thread before I grew annoyed with silliness and decided to address the original post.

--GMAIL ... this is probably setup as IMAP4 instead of ActiveSync. That said, I do notice that sometimes syncing read status takes a minute or two. Even my Exchange work account sometimes takes a minute if I'm at my laptop and have phone on Push at the same time.

--Phone notifications ... I don't understand what your claim is. As soon as I click any app (Phone, Outlook, Hotmail, GMail, and Text Messaging), the notifications go away as soon as I back out of the app.

--Wi-Fi connection ... well, leave your data connection enabled instead of Wi-Fi only. I wonder what your phone and network are... or your coverage area.

--Facebook notification delays ... I think this is more to do with Facebook API and network delays than with Windows Phone. The same happens with Facebook app, and often on other platforms (I've tried them all).

--Me tile and notifications in general ... here's where I agree completely. I think, in general, that Microsoft needs a lot of work here. I think that a notification center would be a wonderful addition. That said, I don't find the current setup limiting, so much as it could be enhanced. I love swiping the notification out of the way, but I also want an option to turn off text message notices on the lock screen (for privacy).

I think a lot of the improvements you're looking for will come with WP8. Not yet on a full notification center-- maybe WP8.x-- but I think most will be addressed from news we've seen so far.

I think it's good to voice these concerns, but be realistic too, and be willing to adapt your habits to what you have while you wait for improvements to come. Make sure you are constructive about how you'd fix it and voice that too (which I feel this thread does, mostly).

MrSean490

Apr 11, 2012
Visit site

Yeah, your post gives a pretty good sum up of some of the problems I have with WP.

Overall WP is alright, but sometimes it feels like I'm running a 2nd rate OS here. But then when it comes to android, it's hard to find a good android phone that is affordable unlocked. I got my WP7 LG Optimus 7 for $180 (AUD) unlocked and I just don't know if I could get an equivalent experience for the same price on android (that includes stuff like proper support to JB 4.1 etc).

Just a bit conflicted.

In the end I'll stick with WP7 for now (it's my first smartphone) but I do think my next one will be an android. Just waiting for some affordable good JB phones (which may take some time).

N8ter

Banned
Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
I'll reply when I have a real computer to post from not something that lags like a 486. I can't type so much from a phone. But nice try on that post up there...

Dave Blake

Jan 11, 2008
Visit site
I'll reply when I have a real computer to post from not something that lags like a 486. I can't type so much from a phone. But nice try on that post up there...

No worries post when you can I will be here.

This for the congregation;

I very much enjoy a spirited civil debate on the facts. However we can do without those who prefer to talk down Windows Phone and to the Members of this forum because Windows Phone doesn't have the latest whatever. Windows Phone 7 has a lot to offer but is lacking in some areas. Android has a lot to offer but is also lacking in some areas. To say that WP is behind another OS really depends on what you need your device to do. I look forwarded to hearing the facts about your favorite OS just don't hate me if I prefer something else.

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, your post gives a pretty good sum up of some of the problems I have with WP.

Overall WP is alright, but sometimes it feels like I'm running a 2nd rate OS here. But then when it comes to android, it's hard to find a good android phone that is affordable unlocked. I got my WP7 LG Optimus 7 for $180 (AUD) unlocked and I just don't know if I could get an equivalent experience for the same price on android (that includes stuff like proper support to JB 4.1 etc).

Just a bit conflicted.

In the end I'll stick with WP7 for now (it's my first smartphone) but I do think my next one will be an android. Just waiting for some affordable good JB phones (which may take some time).

Windows Phone 8 will be out by the time you burn through your Optimus, so don't be so quick to jump ship yet. You might like what WP8 has to offer. :)

cckgz4

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
No worries post when you can I will be here.

I very much enjoy a spirited civil debate on the facts. However we can do without those who prefer to talk down Windows Phone and to the Members of this forum because Windows Phone doesn't have the latest whatever. Windows Phone 7 has a lot to offer but is lacking in some areas. Android has a lot to offer but is also lacking in some areas. To say that WP is behind another OS really depends on what you need your device to do. I look forwarded to hearing the facts about your favorite OS just don't hate me if I prefer something else.

I really agree with this. This superior attitude that a few of y'all give off is nauseating

mb-dape

Feb 7, 2012
Visit site

I dont want to offend you, you have some good points. But, with your thinking an old Nokia 3310 from 1999 would be as good as the latest smartphone, just because there is some people whose needs it fit.

Great if you like WP better then the other OSes. I like WP too, but have realized that it really IS behind Android and iOS in many ways.

Even if some users can live with WPs flaws, cant you see that a more "complete" and "finished" WP will attract more users, which will make devs release more and better apps, and as WP would grow MS would invest more effort in keeping it up to date and feature rich.

Ever since the release there is many small and a few big flaws keeping most people from buying WPs. Its getting frustrating to see a otherwise good OS not getting the love it deserves from MS, which would benefit EVERY user, even the ones who are happy with WP today.

Dave Blake

Jan 11, 2008
Visit site
I dont want to offend you, you have some good points. But, with your thinking an old Nokia 3310 from 1999 would be as good as the latest smartphone, just because there is some people whose needs it fit.

Please don't try to tell me what I am thinking. You had to get your story stretcher out to get to that conclusion.

Great if you like WP better then the other OSes. I like WP too, but have realized that it really IS behind Android and iOS in many ways.

Even if some users can live with WPs flaws, cant you see that a more "complete" and "finished" WP will attract more users, which will make devs release more and better apps, and as WP would grow MS would invest more effort in keeping it up to date and feature rich.

Ever since the release there is many small and a few big flaws keeping most people from buying WPs. Its getting frustrating to see a otherwise good OS not getting the love it deserves from MS, which would benefit EVERY user, even the ones who are happy with WP today.

I think Microsoft wanted to put out WP8 NT kernel in the beginning but the hardware to drive it just wasn't available 2 years ago. Their second choice was to put out there WP8 iteration on a scaled down model Windows CE kernel. Microsoft had to do something to remain relevant in the mobile world bottom line. I think MS put out a very good usable OS with many advantages over other OS's but had to maintain control over certain aspects of the OS because of the CE kernel. Opening the APIs needed to add the power of choice to WP7 would lessen the user experience a crucial part of the puzzle in which MS could not afford to fail. Their WinMo customer experience rating was dismal. Microsoft has accomplished a lot with WP7 in making an OS that rates higher in customer satisfaction that any other OS. Microsoft managed to make an OS with unprecedented social networking integration, they brought in XBOX and Office two of their biggest sellers. They managed to open their ecosystem to Live Mail, Skydrive and Zune. Windows Phone 7 has done much to lay the ground work for the future. How can anyone say we are behind any OS when we are the only OS with these integrations and access to all of MS ecosystem.

Also I think it was their intention to port WP8 to all the second generation devices but it has become to big for them to do. There are just too many variables now.

Now on to your question to me.

" Even if some users can live with WPs flaws, cant you see that a more "complete" and "finished" WP will attract more users, which will make devs release more and better apps, and as WP would grow MS would invest more effort in keeping it up to date and feature rich."

I think that was the intention all along for WP7 but the intelligent coarse has changed. Bring on WP8.

Every iteration of Android, IOs, and Blackberry attempts to improve upon its predecessor. I know WP8 will be an improvement over WP7.

InfectedPhreak

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
My issue with all of this, is that I'm bored. I would never submit defeat and buy any type of iDevice. I think all of them are atrocious, and for iSheeple. However, I get bored of things VERY quickly. I've got hundreds of emails, and known aliases. Quite the collection of just about everything, because of how bored I get looking at the same username or the same thing of something over and over again.

I've had my HTC Droid Incredible for 2 years now, at first HTC Sense was interesting to say nonetheless. I had to get rid of it. After awhile, it just got old and stale. So, I rooted and ROM'd my device to get into all the favorable customization's available for the OS. Found myself running CyanogenMod, MIUI, and others to get a feel for different ways of doing things. Then from there I got into different launchers, and different themes for those launchers. Now? After 2 years, I want something fresh.

From not having a hands experience, I've researched and researched. I've practically learned the Windows Phone OS from top to bottom. I like what it all comes down to, and it from my perspective would work for me much better than Android. Every system has it's flaws, even people and the world we live in isn't perfect. So I don't expect perfection from a device that's man made. However, I think even with it's flaws WP would fit perfectly for me.

I'm really hoping to see some more information on WP8, before making the jump if it becomes possible for me. I love the core integration, and the way that the ecosystem for Microsoft is heading. WP, Surface, Windows 8, all of it is coming together in my opinion much better then other ecosystems to date.

With the way Windows Phone does things, NOT having a WP makes me feel like I'm behind. The integration, the threaded messaging, the accessibility, and quite a few other things from an Android perspective does make me feel behind what is really up to date.

That's my two cents.

sinime

Retired Moderator
Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
I've noticed that I have more free time on my hands with windows phone. Or maybe I just don't have enough fb/twitter friends :/ anyhow, when I'm at a bar or in public and you get to one of those silence times when everyone pulls out their phones and checks twitter, fb, etc... I pull up the people hub and burn through my info before everyone else. I guess cause it's all In one place. Then I wind up coming here or to drudge report to see if something interesting is going on or being discussed. communities needs to be released, bored express is killing me. I look around and everyone else is still messing with fb/twitter, not necessarily posting, just scrolling through.

On second thought, I don't think it is a friend count thing, cause I never noticed this when I was on ios :D

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express

power5

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
I thought 7.8 was coming to older phones like my titan?
My email gets to my phone on outlook faster than my work computer. I hear the beep and know I am about to get an email. A few moments later it pops up. Gmail is faster on the web than my phone. My fb always has a notification. Don't even pay attention any more. I know it's wrong.
I wish my phone tile flipped to the last missed call contact picture. Since att will not allow visual vm I have some other app that does flip the contact picture on the live tile when the message comes in.
I like the calendar updates on lock screen but do wish 3rd party showed up. If it's an IM app but put the message toast up.
I do think smaller tiles will negate a NC.

I can't wait for my new win8 devices.

I

DanielCeleste

Apr 15, 2012
Visit site
We have lots of threads around discussing these issues. Some people don't research a new device before buying it and end up not liking there new device.

I actually did a lot of research before buying the phone, and heard nothing but goodness. I'm not completely disappointed in my purchase, but I just feel that way too many flaws have been overlooked here.

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zahrajooon1254