I'm standing my ground, and sticking with Windows Mobile.

discomonkey82

Oct 9, 2017
Visit site
Just got back on the back wagon with a 950XL & here till the bitter end! Was still rocking a 1020 until the screen smashed (again) so that was it. Played around with Android for about a month but fun wore off quickly when phone slowed down to a halt. Very happy to far, my main uses are phone, text, browser & camera. I did read about MS dropping the ball but came down to a good price and should get at least another 12 if not 24 months out of this bad boy.

maddogmoffit

Apr 26, 2014
Visit site
Who else is with me? Till the bitter end we stick together, we will make it through, and we know good things come to those who wait.

Sorry but it is a tool, a communication gadget, a piece of equipment not a friend or a lover. It is as replaceable as anything else I buy for the use of maximum of three years, it is not a trusted heirloom or anything else of sentimental value. It could be even argued that you should switch from time to time to not develop unhealthy connections to your phone or to get to deep into the claws of the ecosystem.
I do not take my tech toys into my bed, I do not even bring them in to to my bedroom. I can live without that.

jojo_ferrer66

Apr 13, 2016
Visit site
Yrs,I'm still staying with Windows Mobile,my first phone was a Cherry Mobile Alpha View a 6 incher phone,actually a WP 8.1 phone. I like the WM because of the live tiles and Facebook's "integration" with the People app. Unfortunately I lost it and am now using a Cherry Mobile Alpha Prime 5(a 5 incher although a.Windows 10 unit and is my driver). Although I own several Android phones and a tablet, my Prime is my favorite. I rarely use my Android tablet and I just use it as a talking desktop clock. Even now Im still looking for WP Phones even on the used market here ib our country. And sometimes some people are looking at my WP when I'm using it outside.

Tyrelion Prime

Oct 9, 2017
Visit site
I can understand both points of view here.
I'm also very dissapointed in MS from an end-user point of view in regards to services being cancelled which I loved to use, like Groove Music.
On the other hand, from MS point of view, it would also be foolish to keep spending tons of money keeping a service online which is simply making them lose money. Money better spend on the development of new devices and services.
On top of that, do we really need yet another seperate platform to stream and buy music? I'd rather see a full integration of spotify in the Groove Music app and use their services straight from within the Groove Music app than yet another seperate service to stream and buy music. Which only means that when I ever make the switch, I probably have to buy everything all over again...
In my opinion, such an approach would make a lot more sense for all parties involved, Microsoft, spotify and the end-user.

It's just a shame MS and spotify didn't do that from the start.

But that is just the latest drop in a year of decline for windows mobile + support and people leaving now have every right to do so and yes, I understand their reasons. Not simply because of the Groove Music Pass and music store being cancelled but because of everything that happened to Windows Mobile in the last year.

Yet personally I am sticking to my guns and support for Microsoft.
OneDrive, Office,... are all great products which I love to use and have nothing to do with the rest. It's a bit silly imo to drop every product a company has to offer, which work great, because of some failed projects.

As for Mobile... they have one more shot at this, as far as I am concerned and with Core OS and the vision behind one OS for all devices, I believe they learned from their mistakes and have the mobile products benefit from the success of their other products. yes, the wait is long and we've been talking about Surface Phone for years now. However, I'd rather have them taking a bit longer and getting it right, than have yet another release of yet another half-assed device and services.

I just hope that I won't drop my Lumia 950 until then....

froi francisco

Apr 11, 2013
Visit site
Who else is with me? Till the bitter end we stick together, we will make it through, and we know good things come to those who wait.

My 1520 finally crashed and screen shattered, I'm now looking for a 950XL as an upgrade or if I can find an HP x3 for cheap that'll be great too.

I don't think WM is a burning and a sinking ship at all, I just think we're in a transitional phase, and there's absolutely no reason why MS isn't doing something secretly in their Research Lab. They're most likely preparing for the post-smartphone era that's about to unfold in the next couple of years or so. I'm very excited to finally see the "foldable phone" they've been working on for quite some time now, and I'm sure it'll be great.

I would totally understand why you are leaving this platform, and it's absolutely within reason and totally justified, I won't miss you though because I know deep down inside, you've got a special place for WM and you'll eventually come back to us when a new spark has been ignited.

But for us who are staying and sticking through this long haul, we're going to be all right. Everything is going to be all right. We shall make it through and reap the rewards when the time is right.

hibernate mode, then see what XDA devs can do with 950 series in installing win10/cshell :excited::angel::wink:

Ibrahim Mohammed2

Oct 9, 2017
Visit site

My 1520 finally crashed and screen shattered, I'm now looking for a 950XL as an upgrade or if I can find an HP x3 for cheap that'll be great too.

I don't think WM is a burning and a sinking ship at all, I just think we're in a transitional phase, and there's absolutely no reason why MS isn't doing something secretly in their Research Lab. They're most likely preparing for the post-smartphone era that's about to unfold in the next couple of years or so. I'm very excited to finally see the "foldable phone" they've been working on for quite some time now, and I'm sure it'll be great.

I would totally understand why you are leaving this platform, and it's absolutely within reason and totally justified, I won't miss you though because I know deep down inside, you've got a special place for WM and you'll eventually come back to us when a new spark has been ignited.

But for us who are staying and sticking through this long haul, we're going to be all right. Everything is going to be all right. We shall make it through and reap the rewards when the time is right.

I'm with you I have 950 XL as my main phone, looking forward to Surface Phone.

nandakishorem98

May 28, 2015
Visit site

Well Windows phone is dead! And before this day we all know there wont be any changes for the WP. Most of us do love Windows phone and we all regret to dump the device. As I'm one of the many windows phone fans here, i never thought of dumping my Lumia.

I own 2 Lumias and my L950 is just 5 months old, which I bought it from the Microsoft Store since it isn't available in India.

I'll continue to use my Lumia till it dies and still happy to hear that Microsoft will continue release security updates and bug fix patches.

Lets all hope for the best! Happy to see other loyal fans

Last edited:

treiz

Sep 3, 2013
Visit site
Well my 950xl was starting to affect my work so I switched to a note 8 over the weekend. I'll keep my 950xl around as a mini tablet on wifi and I look forward to switching back when Microsoft releases whatever their next project is. Until then I have to walk around feeling dirty all the time.

evillama

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
It's damn embarrassing, to have a wife and five kids all put on W10M years ago (by me, the dad) and now have them all need to tell those they know, "our phones are dead, and we're behind in iOS, Android knowledge". My sister-in-law even purchased a 950 off eBay (gave up her Android) in hopes that she was moving to a "better" platform. I didn't encourage (nor discourage) her to do so, but she saw what the phones were like whenever she came to visit.

For a techie, changing platforms is something we just deal with. But for everyday folks, normal customers, the switch is not always as easy.

Dec 4, 2015
Visit site
I'm just waiting here to see whether my Lumia 640 Dual Sim (Non-LTE) is listed as a recipient of the Fall Creator Updates

Will hold on at least a year more if it is... But really considering jumping ship if it isn't

Either way, I'm starting to saving up to buy new smartphone then.... or abandoning smartphone altogether :amaze:

mtf1380

Nov 30, 2015
Visit site
I just hope that my 950XL will last until MS's vision of what's next for mobile is introduced. I have nothing against other OS's... it's just that Windows OS feels like home... and we all know, there's no place like home:)

I don't mind a bit that I am saving $1K, by not having to replace my phone at the moment:)

Last edited:

Zeem Frostmaw

Dec 6, 2013
Visit site
Unless someone's paying me £400 to buy a new phone, I'm sticking right here.

Lumia 950 is still an outstanding phone and replaceable batteries mean it ages way slower than other flagships. I can live without Pokémon Go or whatever lol.

Doctor_Who

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
I'm sticking with Windows Mobile, but more out of necessity then anything else. I don't have the money to just switch at the drop of a hat!

M_A_Adams

Dec 18, 2015
Visit site
I'll keep going as long as I can keep my phone working. Then, I will be done with smartphones and should be ready to retire and be DONE with MICROSOFT.

Hawkwind2005

Feb 2, 2015
Visit site
I'm now in a relationship with an Android phone, but daren't tell it that every time I use it I'm thinking about my Windows Phone. And to make it worse, I'm cheating on Google Assistant with Cortana. But I feel slightly better for admitting it to all of you. Perhaps we can start a mutual support network.

Dedric Terry

Oct 29, 2015
Visit site
HP Elite x3 'til the wheels fall off this baby. Microsoft has said many times that they're going with one version of Windows for all devices. So yes, Windows "Mobile" is dead. And yes, there was an issues getting devs to produce apps for mobile, but apps for specific devices is becoming less relevant. And wow, how the haters, blog writers, nay-sayers, spin-docs, etc. love to instill fear in public opinion. So MS is not making phones anymore... Doesn't mean they can't make other devices with cellular capabilities running WinFall (my term for Windows For All devices). Who else is going to show hw manufacturers how it's done ya feel me?

Joe Frazier

Dec 18, 2012
Visit site
I loved the platform and my Lumia 920. I liked my 950 better than many. I'm now on an LG V30 Android 7.1 and can't imagine going back. I started out on Android using the Microsoft services I knew so well but have moved mostly to Google services since they're so much simpler and intuitive use on Android. Bring baked in truly matters.There is no mobile first without a mobile platform.

anon(123856)

Feb 9, 2013
Visit site
I switched back to Android a few years ago disappointed by Microsoft's lack of enthusiasm and by the **** poor carrier support here in the US. I really liked the OS and do still miss it sometimes. It ran well on low end hardware and was mostly smooth.

I had three different WP's, an 822, a brief fling with an 830 brought to an end by AT&T's horrible customer service and a 735.

With no new Windows Phone devices on the horizon it seemed it was time for me to make the transition back to Android. I'm not an Apple fan and will never use any of their devices again (I had a laptop and an iMac). One of my buddies still uses a 735 on Verizon. It's too bad that MS won't release new devices. The abondement of the platform by MS was a huge disappointment to me. I'm now using a combination of MS and Google services and getting along fairly well.

As far as sticking it out, hey if that's what works for you, have at it. Personally, I wasn't going to wait around for the inevitable.

https://www.windowscentral.com/micr...e-features-and-hardware-are-not-focus-anymore

Good luck.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss