Lumia 920 battery - Your opinions

Madeye234

Feb 8, 2013
Visit site
Little disappointed with the 920 battery life so far. I may be imagining things but I think it has got noticeably worse since updating to 1308.

Im with you on that. My daughter noticed this too and she never pays attention to her phone. She usually has battery to get her through a full day of school and it ran out. Same goes for me - I put my phone on airplane mode at night last night with around 50% and I wake up this morning and its running around 10%, how can that be??? Battery app says it was draining at 17%???

Nick_1020

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
Im with you on that. My daughter noticed this too and she never pays attention to her phone. She usually has battery to get her through a full day of school and it ran out. Same goes for me - I put my phone on airplane mode at night last night with around 50% and I wake up this morning and its running around 10%, how can that be??? Battery app says it was draining at 17%???

I took the dog for a 5k walk earlier. The phone was fully charged before I started an I had Runtastic running in the background. An hour later and I'm down to 55%. I didn't make or receive any calls, although I sent a couple of sms. Then I played iStunt 2 for a few minutes when I got home and it wasn't long before I had to plug the phone in to charge. Things were more manageable before the 1308 update imho.

cruzcat

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
Battery life has been quite good for me since the beginning and I normally get 35-40hrs after a full charge. The 1308 update was the worst firmware with respect to battery and in the two weeks with 1308, I encountered the mysterious overnight drain a couple of time.
The latest version however has been great and and this was from yesterday "Estimated time remaining 10 days 9 hrs" :).
Just to calibrate, I have 2 Google Accounts set up as EAS with sync as mail arrives, 1 hotmail, 1 yahoo account, whatsapp and metrotalk with push notifications. I also browse the internet for about 1 hr and voice calls ~1 hr on a daily basis. My screen is set to medium brightness. The Lumia 920 has been the best with regards to battery life amongst all the smartphones I have owned in the past 5 years. Maybe I am just lucky.
wp_ss_20130417_0001.png

cayetanovp

Jan 22, 2013
Visit site
Which is the latest version that you said is great?

Battery life has been quite good for me since the beginning and I normally get 35-40hrs after a full charge. The 1308 update was the worst firmware with respect to battery and in the two weeks with 1308, I encountered the mysterious overnight drain a couple of time.
The latest version however has been great and and this was from yesterday "Estimated time remaining 10 days 9 hrs" :).
Just to calibrate, I have 2 Google Accounts set up as EAS with sync as mail arrives, 1 hotmail, 1 yahoo account, whatsapp and metrotalk with push notifications. I also browse the internet for about 1 hr and voice calls ~1 hr on a daily basis. My screen is set to medium brightness. The Lumia 920 has been the best with regards to battery life amongst all the smartphones I have owned in the past 5 years. Maybe I am just lucky.
View attachment 32474

Nokia_Lindsay

Jun 5, 2012
Visit site
Little disappointed with the 920 battery life so far. I may be imagining things but I think it has got noticeably worse since updating to 1308.

Hi @Nick920, make sure you update your software to the new version released last week: 1232.5962.1314.0001. Go to Setting > About > More Info > Firmware Revision Number to confirm you have not already done so. If it isn't the 1314 software version, go to Settings > Phone Update > Check for Updates. If you have any additional questions, reach out to our Nokia Care team on Twitter, @NokiaCareUS.

joeynox

Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
Re: lumia 920 Battery Issues

Everyone's problem is wp8 . Is not optimized . Its not your 920 because it affects other wp8 phones. The os isn't optimized which means apps are not fully optimized. Im on my 4th 920 and battery life has been poor on all 4 and got worse with 1314. Wp8 is a sad sad os .

cruzcat

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site

Everyone's problem is wp8 . Is not optimized . Its not your 920 because it affects other wp8 phones. The os isn't optimized which means apps are not fully optimized. Im on my 4th 920 and battery life has been poor on all 4 and got worse with 1314. Wp8 is a sad sad os .

Yes that explains why I am getting almost 2 days worth of battery life which I never could with iOS or Android.

Rndomuser

Mar 28, 2013
Visit site

Yes that explains why I am getting almost 2 days worth of battery life which I never could with iOS or Android.

I can also get same standby time with my (second replacement) Lumia, however when I start to actually use it (for example, when browsing the Internet using the stock IE browser) - I can drain the battery in less than 4 hours (without playing the games) and the standby time severely drops after using a few apps even after closing these (supposedly) suspended apps by using "back" button (unless I manually reboot the phone, which temporarily "fixes" the idle power consumption). Some people also have the same issue even after going through several replacements, which is a clear indication of an issue with either the OS, the phone's firmware or both.
I'm sure the MS/Nokia will eventually figure out the true reasons for this, but denying this issue (or trying to assume that everybody else uses the Lumia 920 in same exact way, using same exact apps as YOU do for the same exact period of time and in a location with same exact cellular network's signal strength) is not really helpful but actually quite opposite and will also affect YOU in a negative way in a long run.

Coolknight1968

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site

I must say, that the Ativ S from Samsung has a way superior battery life. My 920 was dismal. Nokia should use higher quality batteries.

cruzcat

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site

I can also get same standby time with my (second replacement) Lumia, however when I start to actually use it (for example, when browsing the Internet using the stock IE browser) - I can drain the battery in less than 4 hours (without playing the games) and the standby time severely drops after using a few apps even after closing these (supposedly) suspended apps by using "back" button (unless I manually reboot the phone, which temporarily "fixes" the idle power consumption). Some people also have the same issue even after going through several replacements, which is a clear indication of an issue with either the OS, the phone's firmware or both.
I'm sure the MS/Nokia will eventually figure out the true reasons for this, but denying this issue (or trying to assume that everybody else uses the Lumia 920 in same exact way, using same exact apps as YOU do for the same exact period of time and in a location with same exact cellular network's signal strength) is not really helpful but actually quite opposite and will also affect YOU in a negative way in a long run.

My post was a retort to Joeyknox who claimed that WP8 is a sad sad OS. I am not refuting the fact that MS/Lumia's may have a battery drain problem evidenced by the number of users who have reported on these forums. I even reported that I had the mysterious battery drain problem with 1308 firmware.
But to claim that "Your" usage scenario is the only correct scenario while mine doesnt count is stupid. I use my phones the same across my iOS/Android devices which barely last through a day while my Lumia lasts almost twice as much. No matter the phone/OS there are always some lemons and every iOS/Android device seems to have similar problems if you look through the respective forums.
The reality is that you are an outlier rather than the norm and it is not all gloom and doom as you make it out to be.

tatotiburon

Apr 18, 2013
Visit site
Well, so far my exprience: after a full charge the battery last between 6-7 hours with always wifi and 3g data and i use whatsapp a lot...it's normal?

Andyshine77

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site

Sometimes the battery is good. Other times something in the background keeps running, heats the phone up, and drains the battery at an unexceptionable rate. Happened to me today. To me this is normal life with WP8 and the 920, it's completely normal. Keep in mind my 900 never had battery issues. Bad OS and bad phone running it IMHO.

sbloom

Apr 17, 2013
Visit site
I clearly have a major issue here, had the phone 4 days, turned on battery saver as a result of reading this thread, and at 100% charge I have 18 hours' battery life left. This is shocking compared to what others seem to be getting. I have everything that I can turned off (NFC, Drive, Bluetooth, screen has to be auto as I'm outside a lot, use WiFi at home so that is on). Help!

Nick_1020

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
Hi @Nick920, make sure you update your software to the new version released last week: 1232.5962.1314.0001. Go to Setting > About > More Info > Firmware Revision Number to confirm you have not already done so. If it isn't the 1314 software version, go to Settings > Phone Update > Check for Updates. If you have any additional questions, reach out to our Nokia Care team on Twitter, @NokiaCareUS.

Thanks for the reply Lindsay. Unfortunately version 1314 isn't available for me as yet. I'm not a Twatter user either :)

Nick_1020

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site

I'm inclined the agree that the problem lies is with the OS. I love my 920 but it seems WP8 was rushed out without being tested for long enough. Many of the problems that people have reported have existed since they opened the box. How on earth MS/Nokia missed these things, I'll never understand but it doesn't reflect too well on a company that needs the success of these models to get back in the game.

I hope things improve.

naeem151287

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I have exceptional drain when I am on Mobile Network. When I am at home I am only connected to WiFi and it's enabled to run when the screen is off. I manually set Mobile Network to OFF. This way I get 2-2.5 days of battery, which is amazing and the phone doesn't overheat. When I am out and about and on 3G with WiFi OFF I don't even get a day and the phone overheats with a few minutes of usage. More drain on 3G than on WiFi is obvious but I think the 920 has excessive drain when using mobile network - maybe a bug. So it's not the apps or the background tasks, but something with the mobile network that's causing excessive drain.

dfhgk2.png
This is usage on WiFi.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Arthur Dent