Lumia 920 battery - Your opinions

jlynnm350z

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
Re: lumia 920 Battery Issues

Battery often sucks 60 - 70% or more a day often. Bur when its good it's on full 8 hours later. Problem needs addressed from someone now.

justinhopaolo

Sep 30, 2013
Visit site
what can you say about the difference in screen technology?

I have also gone from the 920 to the 1020 but battery life is exactly the same for me. Which you would expect seeing as though I'm running the exact same applications and use the phone for pretty much the same things.

However, I sort of hoped that battery life would be better on the 1020 simply because the AMOLED screen uses less power than the 920's LCD screen.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using WPCentral Forums mobile app

WorzelGummage

Dec 30, 2012
Visit site
what can you say about the difference in screen technology?

The screen on the 1020 is noticeably a lot better than the 920's LCD screen. Viewing angles are better and of course blacks are blacker. Colours seem to be more vibrant too. All in all, I'm very pleased with the screen on the 1020.

justinhopaolo

Sep 30, 2013
Visit site
compare it to 920... will the 920 screen look inferior?
or does it have its own advantages? seriously this is the only reason why am still choosing between the two.

The screen on the 1020 is noticeably a lot better than the 920's LCD screen. Viewing angles are better and of course blacks are blacker. Colours seem to be more vibrant too. All in all, I'm very pleased with the screen on the 1020.

WorzelGummage

Dec 30, 2012
Visit site
compare it to 920... will the 920 screen look inferior?
or does it have its own advantages? seriously this is the only reason why am still choosing between the two.

The way Nokia have built the screen on the 1020 makes the screen on the 920 look inferior. The AMOLED screen has the same brightness levels as the LCD panel on the 920 but blacks are represented better on the 1020 and colours seem more realistic too.
I would definitely say that the AMOLED screen is superior to the LCD screen

Denny Prijadi

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
as a new owner of 920, do i need to :

- fully discharge (waiting for battery to reach 0% and shutdown) and fully recharge for the 1st week of ownership ? will this make the battery last longer or will damage the battery in the long run ? My understanding of battery maintenance from iPhone is that full discharge only needed at last once per month. but i read in forum that lumia need to be discharged/full-charged in the 1st week so the battery reach the full potential.. which one is correct ?

- charging the phone and leaving it on the charger over night, will this cause overcharge and damage the battery or are there any circuity that will prevent overcharging ? i read differing opinion on these on the forum and got confused..

- trickle charging or charging as often as i want or topping off the battery , will the number of recharges counts toward battery life ? if i rechange often in one day but in small quantities / short time , will this in the long run shorten the battery ? should i wait for the battery to reach 10-20% before fully recharging ?

WorzelGummage

Dec 30, 2012
Visit site
Re: lumia 920 Battery Issues

Hi Denny

The battery in the 920 is of the Li-ion type. This is now common amongst many other phone manufacturers. You will come across many myths surrounding these type of batteries so let me try and clear up some of your doubts.
When you first get the phone it will already have a partial charge so all you need to do is to top it off until it is fully charged. The phone will then automatically stop charging the battery.
Now, to begin with the battery will discharge at a high rate for the first few days but this will settle down after a few charging cycles. Under no circumstances should you allow the battery to completely drain to zero because Li-ion batteries have a nasty habit of dying if they are allowed to drain completely. You may get away with it a couple of times though because what the phone displays as a battery percentage is an estimate at best, which means that the battery may still have some charge in its cells.

Constantly top-up charging can potentially shorten the overall life span of the battery but as long as you don't do it all the time it shouldn't be too much of a problem.

Leaving a phone on charge overnight isn't that much of a problem either because, as previously explained, the phone will automatically stop charging when the battery is full so no extra current is being supplied to the battery.

WorzelGummage

Dec 30, 2012
Visit site
I just got the phone today. My Batt died and is super hot after 5 hours

I remember my first ever smartphone a few years ago and its battery died within a few hours on its first day. Once I'd had it for a few months the battery would go for a couple or three days between charges.

The heat given off by the 920 might have given you a shock but it is the way the phone is designed, which is why we can feel the heat through the phones body. Don't worry about it too much unless it stays hot even if you are not using the phone or it gets so hot that it becomes uncomfortable to hold the phone.

wapoz

Sep 29, 2013
Visit site
I just experienced a really weird fast battery drain today. Had nothing running in the background other than a timer for cooking. Battery went from 90% to 10% in 2 hours while I was idle on the table, and phone got super hot at the top area around the camera. Usually I only experience a drain like that while using 6sec (100% to 30% in 1~2 hours browsing clips). I hope they fix this stupid issue soon. It's already bad enough that it gets so hot while browsing on cellular :/

WorzelGummage

Dec 30, 2012
Visit site
@wapoz,

That sounds a lot like a stuck process which I've had a couple of times. It's usually caused by a bad application but it's up to you to find out which one through a process of elimination. I never did find out which application caused my battery drain and I might have got rid of it since because I haven't experienced it for a while.

adit38

Oct 7, 2013
Visit site
I can bbarely notice the 1020 on my 920. . .

920 and 1020 have different batteries, The 920 has BP-4GW 3.7V 2000 mAh and the 1020 has BV-5XW, 2000 mAh 3.8 V.

Same battery capacity.

Lumia 1020 way better in terms of battery life, compare to lumia 920. You can (non stop) calling your friends about 8 hours with lumia 920, but you will have nearly 3 times longer with lumia 1020. You can whach video for 6 hours with 920, but you have more than twice on lumia 1020. But if you browse with ie10 on your lumia, 1020 and 920 is almost no different. But i guess its because ie10 have almost white background (IPS screen better than Amoled screen with white background), if someday we have option to turn white background of browser to black (like opera), that i think 1020 will outpace 920.

You can see 920 and 1020 battery life comparation that tested by gsmarena, here the general result
gsmarena_003.jpg

azigazimoris

Oct 7, 2013
Visit site
1.jpg3.jpgI have a Lumia 920 phone.

3 weeks ago i ugraded to amber and since the battery draining very fast.

The running time approx. Halved.

I've tried many firmwares (Tmob HU, HU CV, CV CEE) and still the same error.

Before Amber the phone worked 24-26 hours and after upgrade discharged within 10-12 hours with same settings and same usage.

This is unacceptable. Actually, the phone is useless.

I thought, I put it back the old firmware, unfortunately I could not find on the internet Hungarian Portico, but I found an Australian. I flashed my phone with AU portico and ended the fast discharging.

With portico, my phone working very good and with Amber not !
First screen with amber in idle state and the second, with portico with 1.5 hours internet browsing...
I think this is a major OS/FW bug.
I want to get the old battery life but with Amber.

What can I do ? Please Help Me !

Sorry for my bad english...

WorzelGummage

Dec 30, 2012
Visit site
View attachment 45153View attachment 45154I have a Lumia 920 phone.

3 weeks ago i ugraded to amber and since the battery draining very fast.

The running time approx. Halved.

I've tried many firmwares (Tmob HU, HU CV, CV CEE) and still the same error.

Before Amber the phone worked 24-26 hours and after upgrade discharged within 10-12 hours with same settings and same usage.

This is unacceptable. Actually, the phone is useless.

I thought, I put it back the old firmware, unfortunately I could not find on the internet Hungarian Portico, but I found an Australian. I flashed my phone with AU portico and ended the fast discharging.

With portico, my phone working very good and with Amber not !
First screen with amber in idle state and the second, with portico with 1.5 hours internet browsing...
I think this is a major OS/FW bug.
I want to get the old battery life but with Amber.

What can I do ? Please Help Me !

Sorry for my bad english...

I haven't noticed any difference in battery life since updating the phone to Amber. Also, my 1020 lasts about the same as my 920 which came with Amber pre installed. There must be something else causing your battery drain especially considering that others have reported better battery life since updating to Amber

NinjaPenguin777

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
Pre Amber my battery was pretty good. I would get through a full day with 20-40% battery. Day 1 after Amber and my battery is insanely good. I'm at 86% right now and I took it off the charger around 10:00 am

androidtoWM

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Pre Amber my battery was pretty good. I would get through a full day with 20-40% battery. Day 1 after Amber and my battery is insanely good. I'm at 86% right now and I took it off the charger around 10:00 am
do you have double tap to awake enabled ? how about glance/peek ?

I've both and i had to charge my battery in the afternoon and now it's near 20% (i know double tap/glance will kill battery but this is more than what i expected. i guess i'll turn it off)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jruasap