Lumia 920 battery - Your opinions

Connor Bunch

Dec 9, 2012
Visit site
Re: lumia 920 Battery Issues

I strongly recommend allowing to drain your battery to zero (or as close as you can get to zero, as I am pretty sure the phone shuts down at about 5-7 percent.) and let it sit over night. Then the next day, allow it to completely charge up without interruption all the way to 100 percent. Try using a charger that has a lower charge rate when you do it (maybe .5 amps to 1.0 amps) If this doesn't work, repeat the process but instead using the 2.1 amp charger that came with the phone. My lumie 920 was giving me "ok" battery life until I drained and fully cycled the battery. Now I get all day battery life with brightness on auto, my wi-fi, Bluetooth, cellular data, and NFC all turned on, and with my glance screen set to "always on"

anon(6183039)

Jul 8, 2013
Visit site

I strongly recommend allowing to drain your battery to zero (or as close as you can get to zero, as I am pretty sure the phone shuts down at about 5-7 percent.) and let it sit over night. Then the next day, allow it to completely charge up without interruption all the way to 100 percent. Try using a charger that has a lower charge rate when you do it (maybe .5 amps to 1.0 amps) If this doesn't work, repeat the process but instead using the 2.1 amp charger that came with the phone. My lumie 920 was giving me "ok" battery life until I drained and fully cycled the battery. Now I get all day battery life with brightness on auto, my wi-fi, Bluetooth, cellular data, and NFC all turned on, and with my glance screen set to "always on"

I will try that on the weekend. Thanks for the tip!

EDITED: So far so good! After trying everything, disable LTE (change to 3G) and doing as said by Connor Bunch solve the issue. I am using my Lumia all day long, everything enabled except from bluetooth and tap to send (services I do not use)

Last edited:

scield

Oct 5, 2011
Visit site

I've had the phone now for about 7 months and I still have random battery drains. I've been here, AT&T forums and Nokia forums and no one seems to have an answer. From apps like Facebook and Skype, which I don't even have installed, to an issue with the OS like the phone gets stuck in a loop trying to reach a server. I'm tired of it. Nokia customer care was useless and I'm about ready to trade it in for an iPhone, which is sad because I've been a Windows Phone fan since my original Focus.

GearDoGi

Aug 6, 2012
Visit site
I have GDR3.I can say that GDR3 has greatly improved my battery life compared to 2.And about the overheating thing,while playing games like odern combat and spiderman on gdr2,the phone would heat as hell such that I wouldn't be able to keep touching it.It would be very hot.And now in gdr3,its hot,but with bearable heat.i guess about half the heat as gdr2..but it still got issues,like if you open big apps,,close,open another,close,i.e. things that take up memory,it begins to heat even when idle.th last resort is to reboot the phone.Also,i had recently download a game,i forgot.it was multiplayer,good graphics,185mb file size.my 920 would just freeze and only soft reset could help.happened twice.now the game is uninstalled.so far,battery life is way better than gdr2,especially while browsing

Lets hope this is true and after GDR3 in the WP8.1 update this issue will be fixed even more!! WPhones are amazing and this is the only issue that is realy very annoying!

Lumis90

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
for you all that have battery drains: download WPBench Free(or pay for it if you want) and drain your battery for few times and you'll see great improvement for the battery life. I discharged it from 50percent to zero, the next day from 100 percent to zero and I see great battery life now. I took a lot of videos yesterday, some pictures too, watched youtube for 30mins, played games, left it during the night, used phone a lot today and I still have 36percent.

I recommend for you all to discharge your batteries with that app/

sunil kumar11

Aug 27, 2013
Visit site
Hi,

I am using NL920 from 3 months now, and am facing battery issue.

and all of sudden from 2 days battery is draining 5 to 8% per hours and i have followed battery saver tips which there on few websites.

i reset ted my device and tested but no use.

Any Suggestions.

Thanks in Advance

Sunil

anon(6183039)

Jul 8, 2013
Visit site
Hi,

I am using NL920 from 3 months now, and am facing battery issue.

and all of sudden from 2 days battery is draining 5 to 8% per hours and i have followed battery saver tips which there on few websites.

i reset ted my device and tested but no use.

Any Suggestions.

Thanks in Advance

Sunil

What solves my problem was change Cellular data from LTE to 3G. I just found out that LTE signal in my work was awful so it drained the battery. Just check if it is not your case (change to 2G if you have poor 3G signal). Also try to follow the steps described by Connor Bunch in few posts above.

Hope it helps.

Qtweeder

Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
hidden SSID on your wi-fi causes greater drain

a tiny snippet of info that most may already know, but if the wi-fi networks that you use with your lumia, use a hidden SSID - this will cause greater battery drain by causing the radio to poll frequently. if you have control over it, change your home / work wi-fi SSID to public / shown (theres really no security benefit nowadays anyway) and you will notice lesser battery drain - just one little thing of many you can do to optimize i guess :smile:

metalchick719

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
It's been a day and four hours since my last charge and my 920 is at 67% battery with 20 hours estimated as remaining. A couple of days ago, it was very much the same story; my phone went over 24 hours between charges and was actually at 83%. My battery drainage is back to 3% per hour as opposed to the 4% I've been seeing the last couple of weeks.

sunil kumar11

Aug 27, 2013
Visit site
What solves my problem was change Cellular data from LTE to 3G. I just found out that LTE signal in my work was awful so it drained the battery. Just check if it is not your case (change to 2G if you have poor 3G signal). Also try to follow the steps described by Connor Bunch in few posts above.

Hope it helps.

Hi Prell,

Thanks for the update.

I have done the above steps and done what ever conor said bu tno use.

Shodan_HR

Nov 25, 2012
Visit site
its me again and this is driving me crazy... how is it possible for L920 to lose/drain so much juice while on the charger in such short time. but, if i restart it, it will suddenly show 100%, no drains, everything is perfect. this problem is with me since gdr1, gdr2 and gd3 preview. i repeat, once i restart it everything is OK but i dont want to restart it every morning.
please take a look at these logs...wp_ss_20131114_0001.jpgwp_ss_20131115_0001.jpg

VisualD

Aug 6, 2013
Visit site
Last charge 13/11 08:46 100%
Now 16/11 10:35 at 22% (5min 26min left)

Usage during the period:
Wifi = Sporadically
BT = Off
Positioning = On
Data = On

Facebook, Mail, Camera, Here Maps (GPS), Weather, Skymap, Loads of Spotify an high volume, Webbsurfing, Skydrive, Scheduling, Phone, SMS etc.
Glance on, Accuweather Lockscreen, Tap to wake etc

This is unusually great even for me but without gaming it holds on for 1?-2 days without a doubt.

wp_ss_20131116_0001.png

ghamish

Nov 17, 2013
Visit site
its me again and this is driving me crazy... how is it possible for L920 to lose/drain so much juice while on the charger in such short time. but, if i restart it, it will suddenly show 100%, no drains, everything is perfect. this problem is with me since gdr1, gdr2 and gd3 preview. i repeat, once i restart it everything is OK but i dont want to restart it every morning.
please take a look at these logs...View attachment 49693View attachment 49694
Been getting the same issue for the last month or so.

Charge the phone up to 100%, check the charge level 10-15mins later and it shows a really rapid drain, sometimes it will sound a warning about 'rapid battery drain'. Thing is, if I re-start it, it shows 100% charge again and everything is fine for a day or so. I've used 2 different battery monitoring apps, and both show the same 'phantom discharge'.

I actually think the battery life is just fine (once you do all the battery saving tricks..... ) and this is some annoying software glitch.

This is my first smartphone of any type so I have no point of comparison, but aesthetics and camera aside, little bugs and annoyances like this are making me feel I should have purchased an Android or IOS device. Well, that and the Ipad I bought around the same time has been far more consistent and bug free in it's operation.

metalchick719

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
I've been THRILLED with my 920's battery life these past few days. I charged on Wednesday, Friday and last night. Managed to get 36+ hours out of it from Thursday morning until actually past midnight on Friday/Saturday and then again from Saturday morning until just after midnight last night. I am very pleased. Not only that, but my battery drainage percentage went back to 3% per hour to now 2% per hour. I'm wondering if it will eventually hit 1% per hour at this rate. :grin:

zelovoc

Nov 20, 2013
Visit site
i had/have the same issue.

I uninstalled all battery apps and it was even worse, the phone was not even charged after 24 hours in charger (it was even less). Sometimes even just after unplugging it, it went straight down by 15%. I think that it is some software issue and then i realized, it`s Windows, restart always helps.

What i can say right now is that, that battery status is not reliable in 920 at all. Right now i restarted it. Battery was at 95% and after restart it`s at 91%

Psycmeistr

Apr 19, 2012
Visit site
I just received a refurbished 920 due to battery issues with my old 920--

Right now I'm using data to stream radio through SB240 Bluetooth stereo headphones (I have a "grandfathered" unlimited data plan, NBD)-- my battery app says that it's currently drawing at 22.53%/hour!

To me, this is unacceptable; even if it the signal is at 2 or 3 bars.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jruasap