Post pictures of your latest purchase

HoosierDaddy

May 28, 2013
Visit site
Couldn't find the thread of pictures of attempted purchases.

I broke one of my rules which is never buy any electronics except brand new. I've bought new devices with intermittent problems that were returned. No doubt to be offered as open box, like new, etc. because it tested out okay or just hoping. Didn't want to be the next buyer.

And in breaking that rule, I established an entirely new one: NEVER buy anything but new if it can't be examined before purchase.

I ordered a Crimson Trace from Amazon (not an Amazon seller) for the 340 PD. Decided to throw caution to the wind and save $40 by ordering "like new". I mean as electronic devices go, this is about as simple as they get.

But instead of a $200 Crimson Trace in the box with a sticker thanking me for giving it a new home, I found a $3 set of used plastic grips that the original buyer returned for a refund while keeping the product.

So, now instead of worrying about flakey electronics, I have to worry that Amazon will think I'm a scammer when I return a $3 POS in a Crimson Trace box. Took a long time to get to a real person at Amazon to document what they are getting back and why.

Uh oh.jpg

HelloNNNewman

Administrator
Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Couldn't find the thread of pictures of attempted purchases.

I broke one of my rules which is never buy any electronics except brand new. I've bought new devices with intermittent problems that were returned. No doubt to be offered as open box, like new, etc. because it tested out okay or just hoping. Didn't want to be the next buyer.

And in breaking that rule, I established an entirely new one: NEVER buy anything but new if it can't be examined before purchase.

I ordered a Crimson Trace from Amazon (not an Amazon seller) for the 340 PD. Decided to throw caution to the wind and save $40 by ordering "like new". I mean as electronic devices go, this is about as simple as they get.

But instead of a $200 Crimson Trace in the box with a sticker thanking me for giving it a new home, I found a $3 set of used plastic grips that the original buyer returned for a refund while keeping the product.

So, now instead of worrying about flakey electronics, I have to worry that Amazon will think I'm a scammer when I return a $3 POS in a Crimson Trace box. Took a long time to get to a real person at Amazon to document what they are getting back and why.
Ouch! There are soooo many stories like this posted online where the same crap happened. Amazon rarely looks inside returned items. I have a friend who sells clothing through them and have had people buy and return something right away for 'incorrect size' (or some reason) and kept her product and sent back some old skeezy clothing item. Nothing she can do about it through Amazon from her sellers side either.
Amazon has this happen a LOT so you may just have to be insistent when you contact them, but don't wait long to do so! Good luck!

Reactions: HoosierDaddy

HoosierDaddy

May 28, 2013
Visit site
Ouch! There are soooo many stories like this posted online where the same crap happened. Amazon rarely looks inside returned items. I have a friend who sells clothing through them and have had people buy and return something right away for 'incorrect size' (or some reason) and kept her product and sent back some old skeezy clothing item. Nothing she can do about it through Amazon from her sellers side either.
Amazon has this happen a LOT so you may just have to be insistent when you contact them, but don't wait long to do so! Good luck!
Already sent back. I just made sure I talked to a person at Amazon to document it. And I recorded that call.

Had to laugh when they tried to talk me into exchanging it for another "like new" one. SMH.

Then I couldn't just drop it off at UPS because Crimson Trace come with Lithium batteries so I had to package it specially and stick numerous Battery on Board warnings on the box. They didn't understand me questioning that despite being told there is no battery! I left the labels off anyway.

Talk about stupid. I tell them they will be getting back something totally worthless but they still want to pay UPS to deliver it to them.

HoosierDaddy

May 28, 2013
Visit site
Is it dangerous to ignore fate?

Should I accept fate and stop trying to buy a Crimson Trace?

First a "like new" from Amazon was an empty box for all practical purposes.

I ordered a new one from Amazon. When I tried to insert the batteries, one was ejected every attempt. At least once it hit the ceiling.

It appears like the manufacturer uses a piece of copper as a contact but also a mild spring to hold the battery in place long enough to put the grip on the gun. They epoxied the copper strip too close to a notch the strip is supposed to slip into when the battery is inserted. But since it can't give, the battery ends up with a massive force trying to eject it. (video below).

So, I just ordered a THIRD one from Amazon and returned the one that hates batteries.

I hope I don't get a 3rd strike because I have no idea what the penalty is.

This is nuts!

Reactions: HeyCori

me just saying

May 17, 2020
Visit site
Is it dangerous to ignore fate?

Should I accept fate and stop trying to buy a Crimson Trace?

First a "like new" from Amazon was an empty box for all practical purposes.

I ordered a new one from Amazon. When I tried to insert the batteries, one was ejected every attempt. At least once it hit the ceiling.

It appears like the manufacturer uses a piece of copper as a contact but also a mild spring to hold the battery in place long enough to put the grip on the gun. They epoxied the copper strip too close to a notch the strip is supposed to slip into when the battery is inserted. But since it can't give, the battery ends up with a massive force trying to eject it. (video below).

So, I just ordered a THIRD one from Amazon and returned the one that hates batteries.

I hope I don't get a 3rd strike because I have no idea what the penalty is.

This is nuts!

Penalty - if there is one, hopefully it will just be a warning letter about too many returns. As long as they don't ban your account because of too many returns.

HelloNNNewman

Administrator
Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
My washing machine died, so I have a new washer/dryer set on the way. I was shocked at how crazy the price $$$ is for the stupid pedistals ($600+), so I decided by make one myself. I had to buy a couple new tools along with the wood and trim supplies.
  • cordless circular saw
  • air brad nailer & brads
  • portable saw horses
  • super white paint
Here are a couple of pictures of the project being put together and a final pic with the finished (except needing a final coat of paint) pedestal with the tools. The openings are large enough to fit two laundry baskets.

Building the frame:
Washer pedestal 01-900.jpg

Adding sides and back
Washer pedestal 03-900.jpg

Adding Trim (cut off 1/2" from top trim to still leave a lip around the edge
Washer pedestal 05-900.jpg

Final product (except needing one more coat of paint) - with new tools that were HUGE time savers!
Washer pedestal 07-900.jpg

HoosierDaddy

May 28, 2013
Visit site
My washing machine died, so I have a new washer/dryer set on the way. I was shocked at how crazy the price $$$ is for the stupid pedistals ($600+), so I decided by make one myself. I had to buy a couple new tools along with the wood and trim supplies.
  • cordless circular saw
  • air brad nailer & brads
  • portable saw horses
  • super white paint
Here are a couple of pictures of the project being put together and a final pic with the finished (except needing a final coat of paint) pedestal with the tools. The openings are large enough to fit two laundry baskets.

Building the frame:
View attachment 143411

Adding sides and back
View attachment 143412

Adding Trim (cut off 1/2" from top trim to still leave a lip around the edge
View attachment 143413

Final product (except needing one more coat of paint) - with new tools that were HUGE time savers!
View attachment 143414
That's awesome! I never understood why the pedestals cost that much, so I refused to buy any and pretended I'd rather use the appliances as a work bench. Still haven't figured a good way to mount a large vice on the dryer.

raycpl

Apr 6, 2013
Visit site
New curtains for my new place. The construction of the condo was halted for over ten years, but it's finally completed.
4682786994205ea4cae241bdb1f1edb6.jpg

2ff9f785bbf71339686846eea5e9f3d9.jpg

Doing a bit of painting on one of the walls
04d1e8099e8cf81c982d29713373ec8f.jpg

66b122961e9cc4119834d30d0b8445ee.jpg

Photos taken on my new Vivo x90. Bought it in early March. It's a satisfying beast.

552acb098c966a5384a89fe6be4a9e3d.jpg

raycpl

Apr 6, 2013
Visit site
Dang, those are some high ceilings!

Congrats on your condo. If you don’t mind me asking, what do those go for in USD?

@raycpl
When we bought it about 12yrs ago, the 900 ft² unit went for about USD60K.
The project was left abandoned for 10 yrs when the developer declared itself bankrupt. It was revived 2 yrs back, and we had to top up an amount of USD14K...so it's about USD75K, unfurnished.. . give or take a couple of bucks for the exchange rate..
We'll probably move in shortly. It is an adjustment as I'm not use living in high-rise...
Renting it out is a possibility, but it's a ways to go.

Yeah the ceiling is about 14 feet. I moved the ceiling lights in the balcony to the wall and at a lower height. Cos, I won't want to climb up a ladder to change a busted bulb.... 20 floors up!!

HelloNNNewman

Administrator
Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Finally... after 6 weeks my new washer and dryer arrived! I had a friend come over today and help me put in the pedestal I just built (posted above) and lift the new machines. I never thought I’d be HAPPY to do laundry again!! LOL
Pedestal got a little dinged up during the machine installs, but nothing that a bit of filler and paint can’t fix.

PXL_20230503_214232425_Original.jpeg

PXL_20230503_214304173_Original.jpeg

Last edited:

HoosierDaddy

May 28, 2013
Visit site
Finally... after 6 weeks my new washer and dryer arrived! I had a friend come over today and help me put in the pedestal I just built (posted above) and lift the new machines. I never thought I’d be HAPPY to do laundry again!! LOL
Pedestal got a little dinged up during the machine installs, but nothing that a bit of filler and paint can’t fix.

View attachment 143428

View attachment 143429
Nice pedestal and appliances. We like our vanilla white LGs.

Since its a good idea to leave the washer open after use, I'm guessing the bowed window may want to lean on the door frame like ours. Doesn't seem to mar either though even if you don't put something soft between.

Reactions: HelloNNNewman

HelloNNNewman

Administrator
Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Nice pedestal and appliances. We like our vanilla white LGs.

Since its a good idea to leave the washer open after use, I'm guessing the bowed window may want to lean on the door frame like ours. Doesn't seem to mar either though even if you don't put something soft between.
It's actually a completely flat window and the door has a magnet that props it open, but I also have a magnetic flexible pole-like thing that holds a door open too. It’s balanced well enough that the door doesn’t swing shut or open when you use it, so where every you leave the door, it ends up staying right there. :)

Last edited:

Ben Wilson

Staff member
Nov 6, 2021
Visit site
Man, these DIY projects are fantastic.
I'm really considering buying more tools, but I don't have any space to store them, lol.

I did pick up a few basic power tools and had been decorating each room of our house one at a time, but I had to borrow so much stuff. Maybe I should build a shed this summer.

HoosierDaddy

May 28, 2013
Visit site
I replaced wheels and tires on my Mustang. I really liked the look of the factory wheels but wanted a square setup I could rotate and significantly more tread width. I had Michlin PS4s's on the factory wheels but the new ones are 285 width front and back on 1/2" wider rear wheels and 1&1/2" wider front wheels. Also wanted much lighter wheels.

Costco had the best Michelin price and also the best road hazard warranty. Problem is they have a strict policy of installing tires ONLY on wheels you drove in on AND if they are a factory available size. I can 100% understand the first part of that. Someone hands them a box of wheels that have the wrong bolt pattern or are made of pot metal, or wrong size hub opening, etc, etc, and everyone is unhappy and Costco wasted time.

So I had to convince the manager I knew what I was doing. And anyone who has ever spoken with me knows that's a tall order. But they eventually surrendered. I really wanted them to install them for warranty simplicity AND the sale price included installation.

So I ordered the tires and crossed my fingers the wheels would arrive before they canceled my (on sale) order for taking too long to have them installed.

Wheels arrived 2 days before the "standard" cancel order date but I suspect no problem getting that extended.

I spent Saturday night making sure the hub centric was right, no suspension/brake clearance issues and of course personal QC inspection. These Apex wheels are Mustang specific, several members of my Mustang forum claim to be running them with the same tires. Still there is probably little more humiliating than having a Costco manager say "and this is why we don't do this".

Okay, front wheels fit fine. Perfect atypical backspacing to clear the struts with no "poke". Hubcentric better than factory; wouldn't slide on with even a couple of degrees of tilt.

1683597837264-png.638109

Same with back but negative poke the same as factory. Nature of the beast you can't have both ends flush with body with the same wheel without a small spacer on the back. Its so close I'm not going to throw a tiny spacer since I never cared about flush anyway, just didn't want any poke.

I like the look of the factory wheels but I like the design of these better. I don't like the color as much though. Unfortunately, Apex discontinued these in silver.

Apex on left. Factory on right:

1683598664799-png.638110

Don't have pics of my new tires off the car since I didn't see them until they were installed but here is a pic of the same size tires with another Mustang:

IMG_2011 (2).JPG

On the car:

20230509_172300 cropped.jpg

Last edited:

HelloNNNewman

Administrator
Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I replaced wheels and tires on my Mustang. I really liked the look of the factory wheels but wanted a square setup I could rotate and significantly more tread width. I had Michlin PS4s's on the factory wheels but the new ones are 285 width front and back on 1/2" wider rear wheels and 1&1/2" wider front wheels. Also wanted much lighter wheels.

Costco had the best Michelin price and also the best road hazard warranty. Problem is they have a strict policy of installing tires ONLY on wheels you drove in on AND if they are a factory available size. I can 100% understand the first part of that. Someone hands them a box of wheels that have the wrong bolt pattern or are made of pot metal, or wrong size hub opening, etc, etc, and everyone is unhappy and Costco wasted time.

So I had to convince the manager I knew what I was doing. And anyone who has ever spoken with me knows that's a tall order. But they eventually surrendered. I really wanted them to install them for warranty simplicity AND the sale price included installation.

So I ordered the tires and crossed my fingers the wheels would arrive before they canceled my (on sale) order for taking too long to have them installed.

Wheels arrived 2 days before the "standard" cancel order date but I suspect no problem getting that extended.

I spent Saturday night making sure the hub centric was right, no suspension/brake clearance issues and of course personal QC inspection. These Apex wheels are Mustang specific, several members of my Mustang forum claim to be running them with the same tires. Still there is probably little more humiliating than having a Costco manager say "and this is why we don't do this".

Okay, front wheels fit fine. Perfect atypical backspacing to clear the struts with no "poke". Hubcentric better than factory; wouldn't slide on with even a couple of degrees of tilt.

1683597837264-png.638109

Same with back but negative poke the same as factory. Nature of the beast you can't have both ends flush with body with the same wheel without a small spacer on the back. Its so close I'm not going to throw a tiny spacer since I never cared about flush anyway, just didn't want any poke.

I like the look of the factory wheels but I like the design of these better. I don't like the color as much though. Unfortunately, Apex discontinued these in silver.

Apex on left. Factory on right:

1683598664799-png.638110

Don't have pics of my new tires off the car since I didn't see them until they were installed but here is a pic of the same size tires with another Mustang:

View attachment 143430

On the car:

1683598849788-png.638111
Looks awesome - Those will look great on your car!

HoosierDaddy

May 28, 2013
Visit site
Looks awesome - Those will look great on your car!
Thanks.

Today I need to switch back to locking lug nuts. I had replaced 20 locking lug nuts off the factory wheels with the factory lug nuts before driving to Costco just to be nice to them but also so they didn't see those and use that as an excuse to enforce their no aftermarket wheels policy. LoL With 150 lb ft, not much fun to remove 20 factory lugs and replace each with one of the locking lug nuts. At least I can switch back with the car on the ground if I do just one or two at a time. Plus, I always retorque to make sure the shop got it right, so I guess not a huge amount of extra work to replace each lug nut.

Then find time to make sure the much wider fronts don't add oversteer and the smaller diameter rears don't effect ABS. But a lot of people running these sizes and no reports of either. Fronts are same diameter as factory so I don't have to use Forescan to change the ratio the computers use to convert wheel RPMs to MPHs.

Last edited:
Reactions: HelloNNNewman

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yenofenny