Should I be worried about Lumia 830 battery drain?

Pastorhss

Feb 1, 2011
Visit site
I recently wrote a post about the battery drain of my Lumia 920 ranging from high 3% p/h to 14% p/h. I had to constantly soft reset it for it to slow down. (While my wife's 920 never goes much above 1% p/h). I considered, reviewed, got Forum advice on the Lumia 830, and last Saturday I got it.

Although some consider it a sidegrade, I love it. Just slightly larger (more screen), thinner, lighter, faster, expandable memory, others. ATT gives me 14 days to return it, yet I already bought an SD card, and ordered a couple of cases. I definitely think it's a keeper.

After five days, the battery has had no less than 30% after a full day of use, but would like help with the following:

1. After a full night charge, I notice that even if I don't touch it for 2-3 hours to start the day, it will drain 3-5%. 8% even with minimal use. Is this normal?
  2. For the first couple of days, it was draining at a constant 2.52? For the next couple of days at 2.75%. Since yesterday, every since loading, then playing, some music on the phone, it is draining at a constant 2.92% This is of particular interest because that's how my Lumia 920 battery drain history started, before becoming uncontrollably erratic. I pray that my 830 is not going to continue to drain increasingly at a higher p/h. Battery stability is the main reason I made the change. can anyone comment? :sweaty:

Thanks as always. This Forum is the best!

Muessig

Moderator Team Leader
Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
Wait for a few discharge cycles to complete and your battery should settle down. Don't panic just yet.

Muessig

Moderator Team Leader
Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
With lithium ion batteries ideally you shouldn't let them get any lower than 15 to 20% charge, then too them up to 100% but don't leave the phone on the charger all night, as you will charge to 100%, then the battery will go down to 99% so the charger will kick in again back up to 100% and this will happen over and over again all night and eventually can wear out the battery.

Personality I would let it completely discharge all the way once, then completely charge it full 100%. This will calibrate your battery then don't let it go below 15-20% after that.

If you are still worried about drain after you've done this post back here and we'll help you more!

Fred Wilson2

Aug 25, 2014
Visit site
Wow, completely bad information regarding lithium batteries.
They do not like deep discharges, they're much better keeping them topped from 80% and higher.
They have a set number of discharge/recharge cycles built into them. A discharge to 99% or 95% and back up does not use a discharge/recharge cycle.
The little drop that some see when on the charger to maybe 99% then back to 100% is perfectly correct for a properly functioning charger.
It's called "the relaxation period" for the battery which with lithum's means they are charged to what appears to be 100% (but really aren't quite) then allowed to relax a percent or so, then pushed back to the real 100% and that does not occur over and over and over (when on the charger) nor is it harmful to the battery. It's much easier than letting the battery drop to say 20% then charging back up. That uses, or close to uses, a discharge/recharge cycle.

You might want to google up on lithiums, maybe check batterycollege or other similar sites.

Fred
With lithium ion batteries ideally you shouldn't let them get any lower than 15 to 20% charge, then too them up to 100% but don't leave the phone on the charger all night, as you will charge to 100%, then the battery will go down to 99% so the charger will kick in again back up to 100% and this will happen over and over again all night and eventually can wear out the battery.

Personality I would let it completely discharge all the way once, then completely charge it full 100%. This will calibrate your battery then don't let it go below 15-20% after that.

If you are still worried about drain after you've done this post back here and we'll help you more!

Muessig

Moderator Team Leader
Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
Wow, completely bad information regarding lithium batteries.
They do not like deep discharges, they're much better keeping them topped from 80% and higher.
They have a set number of discharge/recharge cycles built into them. A discharge to 99% or 95% and back up does not use a discharge/recharge cycle.
The little drop that some see when on the charger to maybe 99% then back to 100% is perfectly correct for a properly functioning charger.
It's called "the relaxation period" for the battery which with lithum's means they are charged to what appears to be 100% (but really aren't quite) then allowed to relax a percent or so, then pushed back to the real 100% and that does not occur over and over and over (when on the charger) nor is it harmful to the battery. It's much easier than letting the battery drop to say 20% then charging back up. That uses, or close to uses, a discharge/recharge cycle.

You might want to google up on lithiums, maybe check batterycollege or other similar sites.

Fred

Have a read of this, from here (How to Prolong Lithium-based Batteries - Battery University) and :

Let?s look at real-life situations and examine what stresses lithium-ion batteries encounter. Most packs last three to five years. Environmental conditions, and not cycling alone, are a key ingredient to longevity, and the worst situation is keeping a fully charged battery at elevated temperatures. This is the case when running a device off the power grid. Under these conditions, a battery will typically last for about two years, whether cycled or not. The pack does not die suddenly but will give lower runtimes with aging.

A ?smart? battery should be self-calibrating, but in real life a battery does not always get a full discharge at a steady current followed by a full charge. The discharge may be in form of sharp pulses that are difficult to capture; the pack may then be partially recharged and stored at high temperature, causing elevated self-discharge that cannot be tracked.

To correct the tracking error that occurs, a ?smart battery? in use should be calibrated once every three months or after 40 partial discharge cycles. [See Battery Calibration: BU-603] This can be done by a deliberate discharge of the equipment or externally with a battery analyzer. A full discharge sets the discharge flag and the subsequent recharge establishes the charge flag.

I'm not saying completely discharge the battery all the time, I'm saying do it once in a while.

Pastorhss

Feb 1, 2011
Visit site
Ok guys. I greatly appreciate both of your help. One thing is for sure, I'll be studying up on the lithium battery issue. I'll keep informing.

Blessings.

gmfeld

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
"No less than 30% after a full day of use"?? Wish I could say the same for mine. I don't get through a day without having to charge, and I don't consider myself a heavy user, at least not for calls.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

rodbostock

Dec 26, 2014
Visit site
I find cellular signal strength affects my L830 battery drain greatly. At work I have a really poor signal (and no WiFi) and without using the phone at all it will drop by about 3% per hour. At home with a good signal (and WiFi) it drops by less than 1% per hour without using it much.

Pastorhss

Feb 1, 2011
Visit site
Hi Muessig and others:

I greatly appreciate your help. Just want to follow up on the thread by sharing the results of some battery monitoring that I did over the past few days. It is a small sample, but I am pretty satisfied with the results, and even more with the Lumia 830. The chart is through about 5 minutes ago. My actual usage (calls, texts, email, web, videos) varied during the period.

Blessings to all.

Attachments

• Battery drain log.pdf
    105.7 KB · Views: 24

Micka84

Feb 28, 2015
Visit site
Of course signal strength affects the battery drain very much. That's for sure. But that's nothing you can influence.

One thing I can recommend is a hard reset. Since I updated my phone to denim I had a bad battery life, but the hard reset kinda recalibrated everything.

Make sure you don't install a backup afterwards but install everything on your own.

Pastorhss

Feb 1, 2011
Visit site
I didn't think I'd ever be back at this thread that I started in February. Everything about my 830 has been much better than expectations, and certainly much better than my 920 ... especially battery life. I love it.

For about 3 months, the battery drain on my 830 started at about 2.50 - 2.75 p/hr. it gradually increased and stayed steady at around 3.10 p/hr. For the past couple of weeks it continues to steadily increase and is now anywhere from high 3 to low 4, and every once in a while 5 and 6 p/hr.

For some time I would get 36 hours out of a single charge, and now I barely make it through the day.

Any suggestions as to why?

Btw: I've also noticed the camera is now taking extra long to load.

Look forward to responses.
Thanks.

gMaesterUK

Jun 29, 2014
Visit site
My phone is now 3 months old, and I got to admit the battery life is excellent! I run both my personal and business email using ActiveSync, a number of phone calls, texts, and at least an hour of games. End of day when I go to bed (after 11pm) its usually still showing 50%+ remaining! Never had a smartphone last that long!

Only issue I have is if it can't find a 4G signal, that really drains the battery! Only had one time the phones gone into Battery Saver!

G.

Mike Dominski

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
I've had my 830 for a couple weeks now. And I have to say it's the worst windows phone for battery life I've ever used. Take it off the charger and leave it sitting on a desk for 10 min doing nothing and its down to 96% already. And throughout the day I have to put it back on the charger by 3pm which is something I had to do with Android phones. Never windows.

gMaesterUK

Jun 29, 2014
Visit site
I've had my 830 for a couple weeks now. And I have to say it's the worst windows phone for battery life I've ever used. Take it off the charger and leave it sitting on a desk for 10 min doing nothing and its down to 96% already. And throughout the day I have to put it back on the charger by 3pm which is something I had to do with Android phones. Never windows.

I know it takes a couple days for the battery to fully charge, but that seems like a big drain in such short amount of time. Are you using the official charger?

If yes, then you might want to contact Nokia/MSFT for a replacement battery.

As my post said, I'm getting great life even with heavy usage!

G.

hasasimo

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
Same... only Windows Phone I've had with better battery life than this was my massive 1520. Easily takes me through the day.

Giovanni830

Mar 15, 2015
Visit site
From my part, I don't really care about my battery. I use wireless charger and put my phone on them everytime I am close to them.
Some people says that you need to charge until 100%, other says that it doesn't matter...
Well, I don't really care about it as far as:
  • My battery will certainly last 1 or two years, even if I do everything wrong. By that time I will certainly be enjoying a new flagship :)
  • The 830 has a removable battery - a new one costs approximately USD 20-30. So if everything goes wrong, I may buy a new one...
  • I sincerely don't want to worry about such thing. I bought a phone to enjoy it - so if I have to worry about something, I will prefer to worry about the screen, camera and performance (e.g. I don't put my phone on direct sunlight...)

Mr Lebowski

Dec 11, 2013
Visit site
Li-on batteries don't have a memory ...so many "wives tales'' being feed here don't believe the need to discharge it once or ever. Just keep it charged and the battery will last as long as it's gonna last whether or not you do or don't do any special prep.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DaviSmalle