Should I still buy a Band 2 or wait for the Band 3?

Marco Morais

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
I'm thinking of getting a Band 2 to help with gym life.
Do you think I should buy the 2 now or wait for the 3? Any ideas about the release date of Band 3 and what it will pack?

Thanks!

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
If it were me, I'd wait on the 3 or look at another solution. Love the sensors in the Band but the materials used to build it are second rate IMHO.

nmercy

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
I would either buy something else or wait till Band 3. The reason for this is that, as a Band 1 owner, as soon as Band 2 was released, even though some features could have been implemented into Band 1, support for Band 1 became almost nothing. The only updates we really get are those that are purely in the app itself.

As far as Band 3, there will probably be something in the October time frame is my guess... but then again I expect them to release a Surface 4 late spring/early summer so...

DeNachtwacht

Jan 15, 2014
Visit site
There is no reason until now to expect a Band 3 this year, Microsoft has stated that we should not expect any devices from them this year, maybe except a surface 4 device but also that one has never officially announced. My guess would be that they will keep improving the software a lot this year, because a lot has to be done yet.

The last badges of the Band 2 have been shipped with tougher material so the band itself will not tear anymore, but you sure should make sure you buy it at a place where guarantee has been arranged properly. Best would be a MS Store.

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
If on the fence....Try to find a USED band 2.... Ebay is loaded with them, you might find one for under $100 if you hunt around and keep watching.

For $100-125, it should hold you off for a bit, it works good

11B1P

Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
I'm thinking of getting a Band 2 to help with gym life.
Do you think I should buy the 2 now or wait for the 3? Any ideas about the release date of Band 3 and what it will pack?

Thanks!

Absolutely buy one. My wife and I have had ours since before Christmas. I use mine in the gym, biking and running and it's holding up excellently. It is a great choice. I don't think you'll find another device that has this much variety of options at the price a B2 is currently or even at full price.

Nobody has any idea if/when there will be a B3. You can't play the waiting game in tech (unless you KNOW an updated device is about to launch) or else you'll always be waiting.

rusty502

Mar 21, 2016
Visit site
Personally very happy with Band2, it does everything I want it to do, something new and "improved" is always just around the corner, so......you can wait, or enjoy. If the band2 will do what you want, get it and enjoy, it really is a fantastic device as far as I'm concerned.

Sent from mTalk

DeNachtwacht

Jan 15, 2014
Visit site
@DeNachtwacht, how you know new Bads are made of tougher material? And how can I recognize if a Band is made with it?
I'm afraid you can't unless you know which serial numbers are the new batches. However as it tears, you don't have to be afraid because it's covered by warranty. It's just annoying. An employee at the chat stated the following:

It's a known issue with the Band 2. The refurbished Band you receive should not experience this issue as adjustments have been made to the design.

luxnws

Dec 10, 2013
Visit site
I'm afraid you can't unless you know which serial numbers are the new batches. However as it tears, you don't have to be afraid because it's covered by warranty. It's just annoying. An employee at the chat stated the following:

Interesting if true. I wonder why Microsoft hasn't put this information out in the public. Maybe they don't want to do a product recall? ;)

anon(8555314)

Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
I'm generally happy with my Band 2. Personally, I place about equal value on the smartwatch, sleep tracking and exercise tracking. If I was heavily into exercise or doing a lot of workouts lasting more than 3-4 hours, esp. biking, swimming or triathlon, I'd probably suggest the Garmin Vivoactive HR GPS, because of the much longer battery, waterproof capability, support for many additional sports, and the Garmin infrastructure for biking such as ant+ cadence sensors.

Davide Carozza

Jul 23, 2014
Visit site
Love the design, love the functionality, but I'm on my 3rd Band 2. They've only been lasting 3 months or so, which is ridiculous for a $250 piece of tech.

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
If on the fence....Try to find a USED band 2.... Ebay is loaded with them, you might find one for under $100 if you hunt around and keep watching.

For $100-125, it should hold you off for a bit, it works good

I'd agree with this. If you can get it for 100 bucks, its worth at least that. But at the price they want in the store new? Never. Check Ebay or Craigslist and be patient. Other than some need to promote "status", its not doing anything other fitness devices can't do. That are equally attractive, equally functional, work with Windows Phone to boot for considerably less.
Disclaimer, I've had 2 of these in a year.(check the threads) I run, lift weights, walk and sleep. All day I sit at a computer. The materials don't work with its design. Period.

Muessig

Moderator Team Leader
Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
I've had a Band 2 since about November/December and I've had no problems with it so far. I've read about some people having problems with tearing on the strap but I've not had any problems. As others have said look into the functionality you've currently got on the Band 2 and think about whether it does what you need right now. If it does then get one but bear in mind it's possible that the Band 2 won't get as many updates as it currently is doing.

Kylesh12

Aug 16, 2015
Visit site
I would wait or go with something else - if you are cycling longer than 2-3 hours with GPS - the battery will run out before you finish - even using the estimated GPS. Today - before I could even start my ride the band shut down - and it had > 80% battery life. Got home plugged it in and it showed 78% - but then gave me the message battery died - please set date/time. I am going with the Garmin when it releases next month.

Captain_Eric

Dec 31, 2007
Visit site
I would wait or go with something else - if you are cycling longer than 2-3 hours with GPS - the battery will run out before you finish - even using the estimated GPS. Today - before I could even start my ride the band shut down - and it had > 80% battery life. Got home plugged it in and it showed 78% - but then gave me the message battery died - please set date/time. I am going with the Garmin when it releases next month.

I had the same "dying when battery is ok" problem. Apparently it's a known problem. Amazon took back outside of warranty. Maybe try a return.

Issac72

Apr 17, 2016
Visit site
I am going with the Garmin when it releases next month.

I almost did the same, before purchasing the Band 2. But a cursory look at their forum - https://forums.garmin.com/forumdisplay.php?556-vivosmart-HR - and you'll discover a number of metrics that are way off base, and numerous complaints about their elevate optical HR sensor (the same sensor being used in the upcoming Vivoactive HR). When I was monitoring their Facebook page, every couple of days Garmin users were posting messages about the site being down - which, according the users, is a chronic issue.

So, as the saying goes, buyer beware.

11B1P

Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
I'd agree with this. If you can get it for 100 bucks, its worth at least that. But at the price they want in the store new? Never. Check Ebay or Craigslist and be patient. Other than some need to promote "status", its not doing anything other fitness devices can't do. That are equally attractive, equally functional, work with Windows Phone to boot for considerably less.
Disclaimer, I've had 2 of these in a year.(check the threads) I run, lift weights, walk and sleep. All day I sit at a computer. The materials don't work with its design. Period.

I disagree. At $175 it is a good deal. The Band does more than the other trackers (UV, golf courses, integration with Cortana) and will have more integration with a WP than any other tracker. I run, walk, lift free weights, jump rope, bike as well. I sit a fair amount of time at the computer, even though that's not my job. I believe the materials work just fine, as long as you have an appropriately sized Band.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss