WhatsApp on BlackBerry 10 is really good

Sep 25, 2011
Visit site
So version 1 of WhatsApp on BlackBerry 10 beats the pants off of the version on Windows Phone, which has gone through several updates. On Z10 the app is snappy, the UI is pleasant, notifications work well and the app overall feels like it was developed with people who knew what they were doing.

On Windows Phone? The UI is atrocious. They try to mimic the stock UI but the app looks really rough around the edges. Notifications work around 80% of the time. But the app performance is just very very mediocre. It drains so much battery. I've yet to come across an app that drains this much battery. You can go from 100% to a dead phone within just a few hours of WhatsApp usage. Many people think it's the background audio API that does it. Well it's not. The drain is MASSIVE when you have the app opened and are actively chatting (no fake audio stream running when the app is in foreground).

Is this seriously the best WhatsApp can do for WP8? I'm clinging my hope on Viber. I really hope they deliver with a top notch app and not a half assed effort. Otherwise I'm afraid the IM situation on WP8 is all but done. Line messenger sucks, WeChat drains the battery, Skype sucks, IM+ is half-assed, WhatsApp is half assed.

If any of you use WhatsApp then please email the support and let them know of these issues!

hamzie11

Dec 19, 2012
Visit site
Theres no need to email them of these issues as they already know about it

An update is coming - everyone knows that
just be patient or go use a blackberry

Etios

Feb 10, 2013
Visit site
Whatsapp team is constantly improving the app, there was 3 updates in the last month itself and the app has improved a lot, only a fool will email and complain when the team is working so hard and also maintaining compatibility for both WP8 and legacy WP7 devices.

Sep 25, 2011
Visit site
Whatsapp team is constantly improving the app, there was 3 updates in the last month itself and the app has improved a lot, only a fool will email and complain when the team is working so hard and also maintaining compatibility for both WP8 and legacy WP7 devices.
Disabling the audio API is the most requested feature from WhatsApp and it's yet to be done. It was implemented to keep WiFi on for WP7 devices under standby. But now to maintain decent functionality for WP7 users they're ruining it for WP8 users who don't need the audio API. The focus should be WP8 don't you think?

hamzie11

Dec 19, 2012
Visit site
Everyone, except everyone? There were a few updates a few weeks ago. Hasn't been any news for any upcoming updates.

Just because you missed the news doesnt mean it isnt coming

spot on

WinFan1

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
skype works fine for me i dont know why everyone complains about the app sure it isnt as up to date but i get faithful notifications, reliable incoming calls, and i like the ui. whatsapp seems pointless to me. but people use it so i wont bash, i just dont get it.

Sep 25, 2011
Visit site
skype works fine for me i dont know why everyone complains about the app sure it isnt as up to date but i get faithful notifications, reliable incoming calls, and i like the ui. whatsapp seems pointless to me. but people use it so i wont bash, i just dont get it.
there's no preference here. we have to use what people we know use. I can't use Skype one day and suddenly decide to ditch it for Viber.

Daniel Ratcliffe

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
there's no preference here. we have to use what people we know use. I can't use Skype one day and suddenly decide to ditch it for Viber.

And that's the problem. I'm actively unable to contact people because of WhatsApp being in a state that I POINT BLANK refuse to use it. Seriously, it's still using the audio streaming agent...

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
The focus should be WP8 don't you think?

No, of course not. Why? WP8 hasn't got as much of a user base as WP7 has in past 2 years. Only a fool who has an app for WP7 will kill it off for WP8. The trend is - if you are releasing a new app, go for WP8. But why kill your userbase on WP7 which is at least twice the size of WP8, if not more?

Sep 25, 2011
Visit site
No, of course not. Why? WP8 hasn't got as much of a user base as WP7 has in past 2 years. Only a fool who has an app for WP7 will kill it off for WP8. The trend is - if you are releasing a new app, go for WP8. But why kill your userbase on WP7 which is at least twice the size of WP8, if not more?
Then you can't possibly hope for the platform to move forward. Microsoft bit the bullet and pretty much ditched Windows Phone 7.5 users. I'm not saying totally cut them off, but focus more on WP8. That is after all the Windows Phone people will now buy if they go into a shop.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb