When will AT&T Lumia 830 get PROPER Denim update?

Status
Not open for further replies.

gordonfink

Dec 5, 2014
Visit site
Got the 985 in, and am making the switch right now. It takes forever, because I have way too many apps. Probably be up and rolling in about an hour with it.

Me and Pinocchio - I got no strings, to hold me down.

Noahma

Dec 25, 2012
Visit site
Wish I could come back with better news, I talked to a person that deals with the BBB complaints, my complaint still stands. They refused to issue a refund for the cost of the device, and told me that the software department has decided NOT to release the update for the 830. he could not get specifics out of them. he stated that he was sorry, and was confused as to why they would not release the update for the newest Lumia on the line, but he said there was nothing he could do. I told him he could get me a refund on the damn phone, but it was out of his hands.

Noahma

Dec 25, 2012
Visit site
My recommendation those on AT&T with 830's to open a BBB complaint, if they get enough of them maybe something might happen, but as it sits now they have only and will only have the update for the 1520

ashram

Jan 30, 2013
Visit site
My recommendation those on AT&T with 830's to open a BBB complaint, if they get enough of them maybe something might happen, but as it sits now they have only and will only have the update for the 1520

pretty much all that can be done.... most companies really don't care about a few bad bbb reports, but do when there are tons (talking over 100)

now that via bbb complaint they say they elected to skip it, that is something that could be brought up via other methods as well, like social media. it may not accomplish much, but you never know.

Noahma

Dec 25, 2012
Visit site
pretty much all that can be done.... most companies really don't care about a few bad bbb reports, but do when there are tons (talking over 100)

now that via bbb complaint they say they elected to skip it, that is something that could be brought up via other methods as well, like social media. it may not accomplish much, but you never know.

As soon as my complaint is updated via bbb I will take a screen shot of the response, take out any personal information and post it here and forward it to Daniel. I'm angry as hell now

oryan_dunn

May 14, 2013
Visit site
As much as I hate to say this, my next phone will be an iPhone. With the recent Android picture message exploit, most Android phones will never get fixed, and now my 830 will never see an update... Apple is the only company that has a proven history of getting updates to phones.

Noahma

Dec 25, 2012
Visit site
As much as I hate to say this, my next phone will be an iPhone. With the recent Android picture message exploit, most Android phones will never get fixed, and now my 830 will never see an update... Apple is the only company that has a proven history of getting updates to phones.

I'm going to purchase my windows phones in full carrier free and probably move over to t mobile

oryan_dunn

May 14, 2013
Visit site
I'm going to purchase my windows phones in full carrier free and probably move over to t mobile

Even carrier free 830 in the US took forever to get the update. Doesn't inspire confidence. Any more, the OS is just a shell for launching apps. I prefer WP, but not enough to deal with missing apps and no software updates.

oryan_dunn

May 14, 2013
Visit site
But, it did get it.

Past performance is the best indicator of future performance. MS and AT&T have lost me as a customer, as well as those I advise. My mom and my mother in law currently use Windows phones. When it's time for a new phone, I'll not be buying them WP. Likely an iPhone 6c or whatever is their cheaper phone.

Long Syntax

Jul 3, 2012
Visit site
I want WP to succeed and I'm enthusiastic regarding the platform any time I have a conversation about it, but this makes it hard to keep a positive attitude. I mean, geez, they release a phone in Nov. of last year and can't be bothered to approve firmware to fix it. I know MS and AT&T have money to make and empires to build, but one would think they could get around to fixing what doesn't work.

ashram

Jan 30, 2013
Visit site
well, mentioned via twitter to @attcares about at&t electing not to update the 830 and got something a bit different than the standard canned response.

"There hasn't been any communication about that as of yet.You can stay updated by going to AT&T - Consumer News .^Rodney S"

the end portion is part of the standard canned response, but the 1st part is strange and can be seen from to different point of views.

either they haven't heard of it yet or they haven't made it public yet.

oh well, the wait continues.

LaVike

Apr 1, 2011
Visit site
Ashram,
ATT Customer News is wrong! Noahma said that s/he was told by their (ATT's) BBB complaint department that the 830 wouldn't be getting updated. So the some word has gotten out.

You might want to let them know that they will actually have to stop playing Candy Crush and do some work to come up with another canned response to social media inquiries. I'm sure it will take them at least a month to come up with something but tell them the bright side is that there might be be new Candy Crush levels for them to start playing.

gmfeld

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
I got the 830 the day it was released by ATT. I know I was told the 830 had Denim and not a watered down version of Denim, and I would be able to have Lumia Camera. Anyone filing a BBB complaint, do you have handy any of the marketing materials that referenced Denim and the Lumia Camera? I would like to file my own BBB complaint.

ashram

Jan 30, 2013
Visit site
Ashram,
ATT Customer News is wrong! Noahma said that s/he was told by their (ATT's) BBB complaint department that the 830 wouldn't be getting updated. So the some word has gotten out.

this I know, which is why i said "either they haven't heard of it yet or they haven't made it public yet. oh well, the wait continues."

Now I have dealt with the BBB before (with HP) about a flaw on a certain laptop years ago, and while HP stated "out of warranty, can't do anything more", the BBB found that to be satisfactory and closed the case. A few months later a bios update was released to fix the issue.

Via social media, you deal with the "social media group" or PR (varies depending on any upcoming major event) and the BBB I forget what section they deal with, but like other large companies, no one knows what everyone else is doing. So, who knows if the section that dealt with the BBB actually knew or just gave an answer that would satisfy the BBB complaint. Because of this, many people don't take the BBB route seriously anymore.

The BBB is great if hundreds or more use it, worthless if very few do. Find a way to rally AT&T Lumia 830 users to complain, then maybe, MAYBE something can happen.

gordonfink

Dec 5, 2014
Visit site
I'm not clear on ditching Windows Phone and moving to iPhone over this issue. It is an AT&T issue - I think we all know that.

Shortly, we'll have Windows 10 for this device. Going forward, it seems that MS will be using the Apple model of pushing updates themselves.

Seems to me like MS is taking AT&T's whipping.

Mr Lebowski

Dec 11, 2013
Visit site
I got the 830 the day it was released by ATT. I know I was told the 830 had Denim and not a watered down version of Denim, and I would be able to have Lumia Camera. Anyone filing a BBB complaint, do you have handy any of the marketing materials that referenced Denim and the Lumia Camera? I would like to file my own BBB complaint.

When was the ATT release date for the 830 ?

Marketing material will be like automobile brochures and owners manuals will have a DISCLAIMER so you can't sue them.

ashram

Jan 30, 2013
Visit site
I'm not clear on ditching Windows Phone and moving to iPhone over this issue.

i know I'm not jumping ship.... i grabbed the 830 as an in-between since my 930's screen was destroyed on a drop to last until whatever new Windows 10 flagship get's released, so it wasn't going to have a long life with me. Moving to IOS or Android is NOT an option. I would just like the phone to work the way it's supposed to without having to resort to installing a beta OS to get things like netflix and lumia camera working.

When was the ATT release date for the 830 ?
November 7 last year

Mr Lebowski

Dec 11, 2013
Visit site
i know I'm not jumping ship.... i grabbed the 830 as an in-between since my 930's screen was destroyed on a drop to last until whatever new Windows 10 flagship get's released, so it wasn't going to have a long life with me. Moving to IOS or Android is NOT an option. I would just like the phone to work the way it's supposed to without having to resort to installing a beta OS to get things like netflix and lumia camera working.

November 7 last year

Marketing material will be like automobile brochures and owners manuals and will have a DISCLAIMER saying some products or options may change yada yada yada (so you can't sue them). MS or ATT never said Lumia 830 it has FULL Denim, just Denim. My Lumia 810 has Denim when I updated it to 8.1

ashram

Jan 30, 2013
Visit site
Marketing material will be like automobile brochures and owners manuals and will have a DISCLAIMER saying some products or options may change yada yada yada (so you can't sue them). MS or ATT never said Lumia 830 it has FULL Denim, just Denim. My Lumia 810 has Denim when I updated it to 8.1

True, it probably won't say "software Denim, Firmware soon" and Lumia Camera is covered by a technicality, since both Lumia Camera 5 and Lumia Camera Classic are available...

Now, netflix is also affected by this, and has been for months.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toysforkids