When will AT&T Lumia 830 get PROPER Denim update?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Noahma

Dec 25, 2012
Visit site
We already have the updated software its the firmware we are trying to get. My nokia 830 already shows denim

Depends on which 830 you have. If it is the AT&T 830 (Rm-983) it has a pre-release version of Denim, which does not include ANY of the camera improvements, an older build of the Bluetooth stack etc. It is missing all of the items that were advertised by both Microsoft and AT&T.

If you have the RM-985 or others you probably do have the full denim version, with the Camera updates etc.

on a side note, this RM-985 is GREAT!!! it feels faster, the scrolling stutter on the home screen is not there like it was on the AT&T version, my Bluetooth problems are GONE! and the camera features are great!

Derausgewanderte

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
does not matter, you can get the latest WP 8.1 build through the insider program... and if you have a developer preview account you can even install wp 10....
No you can't, not on ATT. If you try to update to 8.1 update 2 using WP insider you will go straight to W10 mobile. That is not stable enough yet for many users, especially with all the issues that are already there with the missing firmware. You can however hack the L830 to get update 2.
The RM-983 is a different beast than 984 or 985. It's hard to understand that a seemingly identical phone is so different when left in the dust.

and your comment of "deal with it" is not really helpful - is it?

Last edited:

godashram

Nov 26, 2011
Visit site
does not matter, you can get the latest WP 8.1 build through the insider program... and if you have a developer preview account you can even install wp 10....

I didn't realize we were back on page 1 of this thread....if it were that simple, do you think this thread would be 17 pages long?

gordonfink

Dec 5, 2014
Visit site
Re: When will AT&T Lumia 830 get PROPER Denim update?

lol. Can't do that now. I stopped in and talked to the guys (and gal) at the Kiosk and they said they knew ALL about the bluetooth problems, I described the issues I had with it and they stated that it was most likey the firmware, and since AT&T was not going to be releasing it they would exchange my device for the carrier free varriant because of the defect. I am still getting it setup, but I am happy now. They said it would fix my bluetooth issues. they had me do a survey for them, which I was MORE than happy to do. Now, as much as I am still ticked off with AT&T, I cannot in good concience keep the credit they added to my account, so I will send an email to the rep that handled my complaint and ask him to remove the credit, and that I solved the issue another way.

This was at the MS store? If so, bravo for them. You earned it, and helped some other folks here too, so bravo to you too.

Derausgewanderte

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site

This was at the MS store? If so, bravo for them. You earned it, and helped some other folks here too, so bravo to you too.
Yep, Noahma and LaVike mention the MS Kiosk on the previous page. Had the same question initially. Would have been shocked if it had been an ATT store.

gordonfink

Dec 5, 2014
Visit site

Yep, Noahma and LaVike mention the MS Kiosk on the previous page. Had the same question initially. Would have been shocked if it had been an ATT store.

Think I'm going to do the update 2 trick on the 2 830's (983) that I have. Is Lumia Camera the main benefit of that? I don't much care for the settings menu in it, but the camera is probably worth it.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site

Think I'm going to do the update 2 trick on the 2 830's (983) that I have. Is Lumia Camera the main benefit of that? I don't much care for the settings menu in it, but the camera is probably worth it.

The Update 2 trick gets you OS only...

It's the missing Firmware you still won't have that is key. Update 2 trick does NOT allow Lumia Camera 5. Sorry.

gordonfink

Dec 5, 2014
Visit site

The Update 2 trick gets you OS only...

It's the missing Firmware you still won't have that is key. Update 2 trick does NOT allow Lumia Camera 5. Sorry.

Thanks - then what's the point? Seems like a lot of time and effort for not much gain?

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
For other models... I guess there is benefit. I have Update 2 the legit way on my Blu Win HD LTE... So OS with no Firmware, right?

I can't see the fuss in it. New settings menu is the big deal. I want double tap nav bar to sleep, but that is only for on-screen nav bar and I have capacitive buttons...

gordonfink

Dec 5, 2014
Visit site
I don't really care for the new settings menu, actually. These are going on the auction block, so I'll let their new owners decide.

Derausgewanderte

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site

Thanks - then what's the point? Seems like a lot of time and effort for not much gain?
I can use an external keyboard via BT if I wanted. Other features are listed here.
I'm not saying this will be useful for everybody, but to some it may. One big reason for me to do this was: Screw you ATT, I can do this myself if you don't give me the support. Interop unlocked and on 8.1 update 2.
Well, that is past now.

Noahma

Dec 25, 2012
Visit site
Yep, it was the microsoft kiosk. The manager was very understanding and very helpful.

My main want was the camera benefits, and the newer Bluetooth stack, which fixed my Bluetooth issues completely

Derausgewanderte

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
This is pretty bizarre I think. Sorry off-topic a little.

I sent our two L830s back to the ATT Executive Response Team for a full refund a few days ago (already received full refund). At the same time I ordered a second BLU HD LTE. Yesterday I received two shipping notifications. The L830s arrived in Greensboro, NC (delivered), while the BLU HD LTE also arrived in Greensboro, NC on the same day (transit).
Wow, maybe it means something.....

ashram

Jan 30, 2013
Visit site
OK, strange issue that I don't know if it was caused by the phone's current firmware level or my car... driving into Vegas Saturday, all voice to text translated to "NO" or "No NO"

So, responding to a text while looking at the screen, Cortana knew what I said, then switched it to "NO". So I'd ask "text *****" and on screen it goes from "text *****" to "NO." Music streamed fine. Disconnecting Bluetooth on the 830, upon reconnect, the car stereo said "ERROR" under the connection status. Nothing would let the 830 connect. Didn't have my 920 to test any further.

Everything seems to be working fine since Sunday.

gordonfink

Dec 5, 2014
Visit site
Those dudes from the Matrix are in your system, toying with you.

On a funny note - and I don't know if we can do this with Lumias or not - my daughter borrowed her BF's iPhone, and changed a few autocorrect settings of key words. Took him awhile to figure it out.

Instead of the word "and", she change it to something like "angina", and "love" to "fields of lilies", and "too" to "watermelon is my favorite".

You should have seen some of his messages. His reactions were hysterical. She got a few like "I don't know what is happening. I typed fields of lilies angina watermelon is my favorite, and it gave me weird stuff. Wait, it did it angina! I used to fields of lilies this phone, but it's messed up watermelon is my favorite! AAHHH".

Back to the topic.

JasonSCarter

Jan 18, 2013
Visit site
Me and my wife both have ATT 830s and have been waiting for this update as well. Lumia Support on Twitter or any of the forums are of no help to try to get information. I think this is the last straw for me and Windows Phone. I am a big Microsoft fan, but I have been burned twice by buying what is a "flagship phone." 830 was advertised at the "Affordable Flagship" and it gets no updates. I have the Lumia 900, which ended up not getting Windows Phone 8, even though it was a flagship. I know the history and technical reasons why, but that was a really hard burn on a phone that was 6 months old getting passed on a major update, and now it's happening again with this update and the 830.

Derausgewanderte

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
I am a big Microsoft fan, but I have been burned twice by buying what is a "flagship phone." 830 was advertised at the "Affordable Flagship" and it gets no updates.
The L830 does get updates everywhere else, just not those who purchased the RM-983 on ATT.
Unfortunate as ashram states but not only MS's problem. I got and still get everything out of the L920 I could have ever asked for (kids using it now). Lesson learned for me is to never buy an ATT locked phone again.

gordonfink

Dec 5, 2014
Visit site
Jason - two things.

First, as the others have said, this is on ATT. Every 830 in the world but ATT has it.

Second, MS has said that, going forward with 10, they will control updates. You should trust MS, and be angry at ATT.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
heufuxucu og o