Why did you decide to buy a windows phone?

BUDDYFUNLOVE

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
Re: So what made you pick a windows phone in the first place?

Had iPhones and androids but I always come back to windows phone. So much easier to use and I never get bored with it as I do on the other platforms.

I am right here with ya. Gave my note 3 to my wife and my iPhone 5s is collecting dust. Oddly, just had a new press installed at work and all the guys from the Canon dealer had window phones. Thought that was pretty neat...being it is rare to see.

Yousef Kawmi

Jul 28, 2013
Visit site

Because no one should tell me what to do, and the live tiles killed me from the first glance ;)

Paulcbr6

Jul 29, 2014
Visit site

Hi, my first smart phone was a Sendo X and the speakers packed in so ditched that as the company went out the window. Next up was a Nokia N95 loved that one until I went down the android road with an HTC Desire. Upgrade due and a Galaxy S3 served me well and I still have it as a back up/work phone for now. I lik Android but it hacks me off that a phone that aint even 2 years old ( both the HTC and Samsung) no longer get updates to the latest version of android, so no Kitkat for me.....Did my homework so thought I'd have a break of a different kind and liked what I was reading about Windows phone. Not as reliant on top hardware and great Lumia cameras. Wanted to try one with a better camera than the S3 and a bigger screen so went for a Nokia 1520. Ok it takes a bit to get used to and I am getting a bit restless waiting for 8.1 but so far I am liking it. Just need a decent way to get my gmails as I have 2 accounts and a better browser than explorer and I will be really happy. Loving the bigger screen , so much easier to type on but the size does take a bit of getting used to even with big hands. Did not fancy a nokia 930 as it does not take memory cards had a go on a Galaxy s5 in a shop and took a pic to try it and the phone said insufficient space OMG why only have 16gb of memory on a flag ship phone when media and apps are so much of a big thing now?

So Nokia it is and time will tell if I end up loving it as much as the other nokia phones I have had (N95 and various non smart phones). Oh and the best bit about the 1520 so far? I only paid ?299 for it even if it is an unofficial UK version I figured it was woth it in the long run and just went sim only plan on ? so saved even more dosh. Win Win so far for me just hurry up with the 8.1 update :cry:

Kyorin

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

I didn't really know much about Windows phones although I had heard of them, I had a cheap Android ZTE Blade (aka Orange SanFrancisco), I had installed Cyanogen-mod on it which actually made it into a pretty good handset and way better than the rubbish Orange supplied it preloaded with... then one day a non-techie friend of mine came round with his Samsung Omnia and I fell in love immediately. I soon went out and got myself a Lumia 710. Since then I have never looked back and have no desire to go back to Android, also Apple products are not for me for many reasons. Since my Lumia 710, I've owned a Lumia 800 which was a great handset with great screen, then a Lumia 620 which had a not so great screen, but was still a very nice handset with a newer version of the OS, next up was a Lumia 820 (the only one I didn't like all that much), it was very heavy and the screen resolution wasn't really good enough, I re-sold this within a week of owning it. After that came the HTC8x - a fantastic phone which I really did love a lot, the different aspect ratio of the screen meant I had an extra row of tiles compared with all the other Windows phones on the market, and I still miss this even now. These days I have a Lumia 925 which is the best phone I've ever owned, great screen, great camera, and just an all round great phone, also nicely styled. I'm not all that keen on the various colourful Lumias, the L925 is subtle and stylish with the metal edging and sensible coloured exterior, I always thought many of the other models look a bit like toys in their sometimes garish colours. I'm not likely to change phones anytime soon as I love the 925, but when I eventually do, I will definitely be getting yet another Windows phone.

z33dev33l

Oct 16, 2011
Visit site

Honestly, I didn't feel like watching Netflix on a 3.5 screen, Android phones weren't secure enough to run Netflix and the HD7 looked awesome. On top of that, the OS looked alive as opposed to a stagnant row of stale icons and the keyboard was very precise.

APFM141

Mar 10, 2014
Visit site

My old phone that i had for years broke, and my price range was about ?100 or so, i looked at some reviews online for phones in that price range and the Lumia 520 was the phone that kept coming up. I thought i would go for it as i didn't want to be like others who have androids, and iphones are too expensive. However the 520 was that popular i couldn't get it anywhere so bought the 620 instead even though it was more expensive at the time, i don't regret it. :smile:

Sameer Parihar

Jul 23, 2014
Visit site

I had the HTC Surround, but due to memory card issues, I returned it. Got an android, the HTC Inspire 4G, used it for a year and a half, and finally decided to go back to WP since WP8 was out by the time of my upgrade. Bought a 920 in April of 2013. Used it till July 2014 and picked up the 1520 which I'm looking to exchange for the Neon Green 1520. I wanted a WP because it was a change of pace from those boring widgets or icons. It is much better than iPhones and Androids. Never had any lag on WPs and the 1520s SD 800 is even faster. I also wanted it for the cameras since the 920 has 8 MP and the 1520 has 20 MP. I knew about the lack of apps, but I didn't care. There were enough apps to cover all my needs and I am very happy that big companies are finally giving WP the recognition ir deserves.

Terry Bernstein

Aug 25, 2014
Visit site

A few things.
1.) A while back Google made it difficult/expensive to let Outlook talk to Google calendar by removing their "calendar sync" app. They did it purely to try to stiff Microsoft users. I like my desktop device to be able to talk to my Smartphone. I want an appointment I enter in one device's calendar to appear in the other, seamlessly and clearly. The smartphone is an extension of my SoHo. That's probably my number one priority, and I find it hard to believe that I'm the only person who wants and needs this. (Maybe if I'd had an Apple computer I'd have gone for an Apple phone.).
2.) Google's app store seems determined to foist dodgy games on its users to hide the dearth of really useful apps in there. Their site has one tab for games and another for apps. But the apps tab contains about 90% games. And most of these are just bait games, at that.
3.) Android seems to be so tied to the suppliers (hardware and contract) that the phones don't feel like my own. Everything is branded and tied-in.
4.) Each version of Android seems to have less flexibility than the one before. My most recent device won't let apps run from the SD card, though previous ones could. But the device hasn't that much space for them in main storage.
5.) Everything on Android feels like its only there to gain marketting information. (See 3 above).
6.) My HTC One V with Android worked horribly. My Windows phone (635) actually works rather well.

Last edited:

scotiez

Aug 25, 2014
Visit site

4 years ago I started with android, Man I hated that OS, I switched to IPhone 4s on their launch day, Then I bought a IPhone 5 on launch day. I had the 5 for almost 2 years. It was a very good phone but it still didn't open my secured word documents. I have purchased several apps that say they open secure word documents and none of them did. It was wasting my money and I was getting ticked off. A year ago I bought a laptop with windows 8.1, Then recently I upgraded my desktop and have windows 8.1 on it. I found out that my laptop and desktop work so well together that I wanted to try the windows phone. I done research and found out the new HTC One M8 was just released so I went to the store to look at one. The store didn't even have on out on display but I took the chance anyway. So far I am loving the HTC and Windows. My secure documents open up with office that Is already installed on the phone. I am a happy Photographer.

WDavis4692

Jun 12, 2014
Visit site

I only read the first page of the thread and not a single person wrote 'to be different'.
Well I chose WP to be different. It was that or blackberry, and I was put off blackberry when it became a 'mini craze' due to BBM.

Let's put it simply and kindly.
I go out into town, into London, or just shopping.
I see iphone. iphone. iphone. samsung galaxy. iphone. iphone. iphone. iphone. samsung galaxy. iphone. galaxy. iphone. iphone. something else. iphone. iphone.

I go to a friend's party. All the girls and 3/4 of the guys? iphones.
I see a new speaker dock or car radio? only supports itunes/iphone.
I see a phone or tablet advertised in a magazine - even if it's for a product that supports multiple platforms? iphone/ipad.
I see a phone in a film or tv show (product placement) - iphone.
I see a sketch of a phone? iphone.
I see another TV commercial? samsung galaxy.

Don't you just get sick of how people are literally like sheep copying each other like this? Don't you get sick of how they are content to just mindlessly buy what everyone else has / what the latest celebrities have on principle, without doing any research or seeing what else might interest them?

Another thing that ***** me off is how clueless most iPhone owners are. You'd ask them a question like "Why do you like your Iphone?' and they'd answer with something ridiculous like "It's got a really good camera and I can make all my calendar appointments and I can go on the internet" and you'd be like "duh, you just listed things other devices can do BETTER yet you think only yours can do that?"

So THAT is why I chose WP. To be 'that guy' who doesn't buy into the 'you should have gotten a galaxy or iphone' bull****.

iamakii

Apr 14, 2013
Visit site

Its clean, organized, flat UI. Android and iOS followed WP.

lerimer

May 24, 2011
Visit site

The reason I changed to WP was purely to be different. Since 07 I had switched from blackberry to iPhone. But after awhile I wanted something different and when Windows phone came out I immediately switched over and feel in love. I can't say that I've stayed loyal to the platform since there was a lot missing from it. Bit in general I saw myself coming back to windows phone everytime. I've had most of the high end phones. My first phone was the Samsung focus. Then came the HTC Titan and then the Titan II. After that it has been all Lumias. The 900, 920, 1020, and now the 1520. There's still things missing from the platform. There will always be something missing no matter what, but now with 8.1 update 1 the gap has basically closed in terms of functionality due to folders, multitasking, and notification center. So as far as I'm concerned this is my platform. And not only that but I've actually showed windows phone to some people and they've changed over.

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site

Zune.

Back in the day I had a Zune and later a Zune HD. I loved using my Zune Pass and the desktop software. It was such a great way to find new music from genres I wouldn't ordinarily listen to. Before the excess of music streaming services that we have today, Zune was unique and awesome.

I used to carry around two devices, a Zune HD and my T-Mobile feature phone. It was a pain. I would later dabble with other smartphones but could never commit because none could offer what Zune had. My mind was made up when I first saw Windows Phone with Zune fully integrated. WP7 had most of what I wanted from a smartphone plus the great Zune service.

Well Zune is dead and there are tons of other music streaming services, but my Zune Pass still works with Xbox Music and it's still a great service (the WP app not so much though, lol). Fortunately, Windows Phone has matured into a solid OS and continues to get better at a rapid pace. The live tile concept isn't without its flaws, but no smartphone is perfect. Overall, WP is my favorite UI and I doubt that's going to change any time soon.

cckgz4

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site

First windows phone was the HD7. I was bored with the iPhone 3GS but hated the inconsistency of android. I waited until mango came out because the first parts of windows phone was too barebones for me. It worked great for a minute, went away cause of the apps, came back cause Nokia were on board. Been hard to stay away ever since

NICK TOALE

Jul 17, 2014
Visit site

First Windows phone was a HP Jordana way back in 2005 since then had several different windows phone including the Palm Treo Pro which lasted over 2 years, Had an early Android which was a hateful experience, Early iPhone which was awful. Was working on a launch gig for Windows 8 and had a quick play with Lumia 920 and bought one the day of release. Now have a 1520 which is just awesome no longer have to carry a windows tablet around all the time. Really like the way its seamless in WP8.1 and Win 8.1 with websites and using Onedrive. I really like the wireless charging as just have a few charging pads around and a JBL Powerup. Really like the accessories including the NFC stuff. Amazing camera and video on the 1520 just need to get a bigger micro SD card.

poken1151

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site

Hmm, to be honest three main reasons:
1. At the time (shoot, still now), back in Nov. 2012 when the Lumia 920 came out, MS seemed like an underdog in the industry, and I initially said I'd try it for a year, as I did for Android initially. See if I could survive on the OS and get a fair play of it (again, did the same for Android and iOS). Android had grown and I patted it on the back and said let me go see this other up-and-coming.

2. Also at the time, that nudged me over the edge, was that MS was looking to be changing itself around. New ideas, new designs, "METRO" as a buzzword (the loss of which was another blow, in my mind, to how they seemed to crumble in some ways). I wanted to stick around and see how the platform grow, I was excited.

3. I legitimately liked the look of the HTC 8x and Lumia 920. I thought it was a good break-away and a trial would be cool. Plus, I didn't kill myself over apps and eco-system but it was a challenge initially, but great third party apps kept me around.

Those were my reasons for trying WP in the first places. I feel like I don't have much driving me anymore except just to see where they go. As my thrill level dies down, something comes in that just barely raises it enough to keep me up. I am looking for that MS in 2012 again, for now... it feels as though it's being dragged through by MS and Joe B. Is basically trying to pull along what everyone else wants to drop. I dunno... not comforting feelings these days.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rorymi6