Why do apps open so slowly? (compared to iOS and Android)

jack dempsey

Apr 24, 2015
Visit site
I can't apologize for your selective reading of the quote, nor for you not understanding it. It doesn't say what you think it says.

The quote specifically states that tombstoning (unloading from memory) occurs if/when new apps are launched. The docs for iOS/Android don't state that. Why? Because on iOS/Android, apps can be unloaded from memory due to any memory allocation request, which could otherwise not be fulfilled. Such requests can occur at any time during an app's lifetime, not just when it's launched. I don't know why you can't see the difference.

You might also want to look into the concept of app memory limits. This concept is completely foreign to both Android and iOS, providing further evidence that memory management on WP is in fact very different than on iOS/Android. Understand why that concept is specific to WP, and you'll understand why you've been wrong up until now, but you'll have to figure that out on your own. We're already far too technical for what most people want to read, and I'm not about to write you a book explaining WP's memory management strategies. You'll have to do your own homework.

In Windows Phone suspended apps can also be terminated when the active app requires more memory, and that doesn't cause lag or stutter. Memory operation are fast.
For example, I have Twitter and Instagram opened. Switching between them and scrolling their timelines, I see both are loaded on memory. Then, in Instagram I go to profiles of users, and other pages, after that I switch back to Twitter, and yes, It was unloaded because Instagram needed more memory.
In Android suspended apps are also terminated when the user launches a new app if there is not enough memory available.
Both systems behave in the same way.

To write a book about something you have to understand the subject, which clearly is not the case.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
In Windows Phone suspended apps can also be terminated when the active app requires more memory.

Nope. Wrong again. WP reserves far more memory for an app than it requests on launch, precisely so that which you say happens can be avoided. That's part of what those app memory limits I mentioned are for. But I give up. Believe what you will.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Deryl McCarty