Why is everyone ignoring that MS broke its XBM promise twice in a row?

Ebuka Allison

Feb 19, 2013
Visit site
Seriously, this is the second time they are missing their biweekly schedule, and still no one bats an eyelid. They didn't even bother to explain why, especially now that the WP 8.1 AND 8.1.1 are out in the wild and being sold commercially

NightWatch71

Apr 4, 2013
Visit site
I actually knew that they were not going to be able to release in bi-weekly schedule. It's unrealistic, not for normal developers but for them. :) It's time people give up on XBM and invest/use alternatives.

BadIntentVG

Apr 6, 2013
Visit site
I'm disappointed in WPC's lack of coverage concerning the broken promises, but I'm not at all surprised. In my personal case, I just got tired of caring. You are completely in the right for expecting Microsoft to improve the app, but let's all be honest here... Xbox Music for Windows Phone, as long as it is being developed by the current incompetent team, is done. More and more people are finally coming to this conclusion. Even if they stuck to consistent two week updates for an entire year it's clear to me that XBM will:

-always be slower than on WP8
-buggier than WP8
-trail behind competitors in basic functionality like syncing local music
-be riddled with DRM errors. They have been trying to fix those since WP8 GDR2...

My point is, yeah they missed another update but at this point it doesn't matter anymore.

I'm cancelling my XBM subscription, the app refuses to stream music for me. MSFT need a swift kick in the wallet...

Good call. I just cancelled mine. I can't believe how long I've dealt with them.

Bobvfr

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site
I am so glad I live in a different world to you lot, I love XBM, it works, works very well as long as you understand what it is and how it works, if you want to sync local music, why not just copy it, trying to sync it through the cloud with the restraints that copyright holders put on services is asking for trouble.

Bob

dlalonde

Apr 16, 2013
Visit site
I actually don't mind that they missed the two weeks. They actually missed it three times. But what annoys me is that they only INFORMED US once on those three times. I hate the lack of information. If you're going to promise something to customers and not deliver it, the customer is in his right to expect an explanation. Joe Belfiore is pretty good for announcing things on his Twitter account. But why not an update concerning the lack of updates?

They ALL have a Twitter account! "Don't you worry about the XBM update, it's coming in a couple of days!"... how long would it be to do that and RESPECT their customers...

At least the app works now. I couldn't care less about the live tile personally.

jongthechemist

May 16, 2013
Visit site
Guess I'm cancelling mine too. It has failed too many times when I'm underground in public transportation without any internet connection. To replace it, would I be better with Deezer or Spotify, dear European friends (or any other subscription based all you can listen type of music service that's better than this... thing)? Should allow me to listen to anything I downloaded without the need to verify my account everytime I hit play.

anon(5383410)

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
My only real issues with it now are

1. Needs "recently added"
2. swiping up/down seems counter-intuitive. Based on the layout and navigation of the app it doesn't look like it would even be possible to change this back to a left-right swipe. Swiping left to right does something different entirely.

RTGent

Jan 24, 2013
Visit site
I just batted an eyelid, but that's all I have time for this week. Listening and watching XBM Pass content, without problems, leaves me little time for software trivialities. Enjoying Jimmy Smith this hour. Cheers and best wishes to the departing; it's bleak out there: see you back soon.

Ebuka Allison

Feb 19, 2013
Visit site
I just batted an eyelid, but that's all I have time for this week. Listening and watching XBM Pass content, without problems, leaves me little time for software trivialities. Enjoying Jimmy Smith this hour. Cheers and best wishes to the departing; it's bleak out there: see you back soon.
I would do the same, but scrolling down to the J's has to be done with caution lest I risk a black screen or an app crash

loofmodnar

Dec 14, 2010
www.loofmodnar.com
It stopped being an issue for me once they got performance up to an acceptable level (aka the last update).

If you go bi-weekly from when they first started on this schedule, the update would come out this week rather than last week. The update scheduled for Aug 1st was a week late and released on the 8th instead. Presumably they rolled the bi-weekly release for the 15th into that update since it contained a feature that was scheduled for the next update (kids corner or recent plays).

Last edited:

Ebuka Allison

Feb 19, 2013
Visit site
It stopped being an issue for me once they got performance up to an acceptable level (aka the last update).

If you go bi-weekly from when they first started on this schedule, the update would come out this week rather than last week. The update scheduled for Aug 1st was a week late and released on the 8th instead. Presumably they rolled the bi-weekly release for the 15th into that update since it contained a feature that was scheduled for the next update (kids corner or recent plays).
Acceptable is a D grade app. Its at best a C. Loading times when opening the app from a fresh boot vary and basically, it would've been better if MS just allowed every app to be coded like system apps

Pete The Penguin

Nov 1, 2013
Visit site
What gets me is you need an Xbox Music Pass to stream on your Windows Phone; why can't MSFT roll their Xbox Live Gold and Music Pass prices into one?

As for the app on my Lumia, it's never let me stream from my collection. If I could delete it, I'd be happy.

berty6294

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
I haven't had any issues with streaming, app seems to load relatively quick for me now as well. Occasionally I will open it up to a black screen where I would just close the app and reopen it again with no issues. But that is like once every few days.

fiveaces01

Jul 24, 2013
Visit site
This all started when those of us in the preview for devs got the 8.1 os. I knew we were going to lose most of the functionality of the old music hub...especially the LIVE tile (isn't that name and function supposed to be synonymous with the whole concept of the Windows Phone?), but I was willing to trade that for gaining the rest of the improvements in the 8.1 os. I would prefer not having to make a choice between the lesser of 2 evils but that is what it came down to. I still do not believe that the whole reason for eliminating the hub in favor of a music app was so they could update it more frequently. They have had all this time to send out updates and still have not gotten back to level when you compare it to the music hub. Is it really that hard to do? And if they read all the comments here and other forums in regards to the customers concerns why is it so difficult to realize how important a good music app is to most people that carry a phone???

JamesPTao

Sep 8, 2013
Visit site
Anyone having problems with playlists not showing up in Xbox music after Las dev preview update. I use windows media player to sync music since my desktop runs windows 7. Any advice or ideas to fix this appreciated.

loofmodnar

Dec 14, 2010
www.loofmodnar.com
This all started when those of us in the preview for devs got the 8.1 os. I knew we were going to lose most of the functionality of the old music hub...especially the LIVE tile (isn't that name and function supposed to be synonymous with the whole concept of the Windows Phone?), but I was willing to trade that for gaining the rest of the improvements in the 8.1 os. I would prefer not having to make a choice between the lesser of 2 evils but that is what it came down to. I still do not believe that the whole reason for eliminating the hub in favor of a music app was so they could update it more frequently. They have had all this time to send out updates and still have not gotten back to level when you compare it to the music hub. Is it really that hard to do? And if they read all the comments here and other forums in regards to the customers concerns why is it so difficult to realize how important a good music app is to most people that carry a phone???

Development takes time. Good development takes longer. They clearly recognize the app was terrible and are working on making it better as stated in the WPCentral interview.

Ebuka Allison

Feb 19, 2013
Visit site
Development takes time. Good development takes longer. They clearly recognize the app was terrible and are working on making it better as stated in the WPCentral interview.

Again, imagine if Nokia suddenly swapped your 920 for the prototype 930's and promised it would be better in the end. Wouldn't you rather get the finished product than watch it made? Apps are like sausage, they are nice when done, not so much when bein

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb