Why Microsoft just made a huge mistake.

Status
Not open for further replies.

mprice86

Dec 12, 2011
Visit site
I'd just like to add in this quotation from a Nokia article today:

"Elsewhere, you may have read about the new Windows Phone 8. How does this affect your Lumia? Well, you are not being left out. All Lumia smartphones will be getting an update to give you some of the features of Windows Phone 8, including the new Start screen, as well as a pattern of ongoing updates going forward."

So there you are. Other features as well as the Start screen. More updates to come as well. Can people please chill the heck out. Your phones are not being abandoned. People with first gen handsets will get their second major update. People with 1.5 gen or 2nd gen handsets will get their first major update.

Here's a link to the article from Nokia if anyone wants to read some more:
New Nokia apps & Zynga games to make your Lumia even better – Nokia Conversations : the official Nokia blog

mparker

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
Got a quick question. What have the hardware guys been doing this whole time?

Microsoft's guys have been working on Windows 8. This is a very big release for them, for the first time since DOS 2.0 they will be running all their systems on one OS. Cloud servers, enterprise servers, desktops, laptops, netbooks, tablets, phones, and the Xbox 720 will all be running Windows 8.

HTC and Samsung's guys have been building Android phones, and making a fair penny at it.

Nokia's guys - the ones that are left - have been trying to get a few new windows phones out the door to help keep the lights on.

If there were 50 million WP7 phones out there then maybe Samsung and HTC would bother putting in the hours to get them upgraded. Maybe. They can barely be bothered to upgrade their Android phones, after all.

ModeratorOMD

Oct 7, 2011
Visit site
This is an unforeseen tragedy. I'm an iPhone user, but this makes me glad I didn't buy a Windows Phone. And I won't be getting a Windows product until maybe a year or two or three or four later. There's no unification.

I've been burned by buying other than Apple before. And I don't think Microsoft has it together.

cckgz4

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
This is an unforeseen tragedy. I'm an iPhone user, but this makes me glad I didn't buy a Windows Phone. And I won't be getting a Windows product until maybe a year or two or three or four later. There's no unification.

I've been burned by buying other than Apple before. And I don't think Microsoft has it together.

LOLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL

ok

InfectedPhreak

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
And um, what's so funny?

What is funny, I think... is that he said there is no unification. When indeed there is. All legacy devices get 7.8, and all new devices get WP8. While Xbox, Win8, and WP8 will work together like an ecosystem should. There is a lot of unification, people are just missing the point.

InfectedPhreak

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
Just like people went from 3S to 4, and 4 to 4S... You go from 7.5 to 7.8, to 8. I don't get what is so frustrating about this upgrade pattern. Everyone is going to upgrade their phones, everyone is going to want WP8... but for those who just got on contract, and can't upgrade at least they gave you 7.8... -_- No one is just pleased.

ModeratorOMD

Oct 7, 2011
Visit site
But 3GS to 4 can all have the same firmware. So at that point, no matter what device you have, everyone is on the same system. So, whether you have the iPhone with the round back, or the iPhone with the square sides, they all work exactly the same.

In your case, you bought a phone that has a current firmware, and then they come out with a newer firmware that you can't get.

Your apps end there. :/ That's paying double the price to keep up, why would you be happy about that?

canesfan625

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site

So you aren't couting being burned by apple then? or do you buy the latest iphone every year?

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
But 3GS to 4 can all have the same firmware. So at that point, no matter what device you have, everyone is on the same system. So, whether you have the iPhone with the round back, or the iPhone with the square sides, they all work exactly the same.

In your case, you bought a phone that has a current firmware, and then they come out with a newer firmware that you can't get.

Your apps end there. :/ That's paying double the price to keep up, why would you be happy about that?

iPhone has always been a status symbol for spoilt brats. You've gotta have the latest and the greatest. But you know what? Having the same firmware but crappy experience isn't what MSFT wants. Probably Apple is OK with keeping the brats happy by saying that they will provide the hip software update to make their OS latest and greatest but did you just turn the blind eye to the issues iPhone 3GS owners had when they updated and made their phone same as iPhone 4?

Here is a snippet:
Should iPhone 3GS owners upgrade to iOS 5? (Ask Maggie) | Signal Strength - CNET News

So for me, even if my phone is Lumia or Titan, I won't have the latest and the greatest firmware that multi-core processors will show-off, but trust me, my phone won't be bogged down with issues, lags and my user experience will improve. At the end of the day, updates are meant to improve end user experience NOT their false understanding by higher OS numbers.

That is the difference here between Apple and MSFT and Android. I bet whatever small number of features WP7.8 will have, it won't have freezes, force closes, lags, battery drains, wifi screwed up and **** of an experience. It will only make Lumia 900 better than what it is today unlike iOS 5 update that screwed iPhone 3GS in bid to make it feel like iPhone 4 (ignore the round edges!)

cckgz4

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site

LMAO.

First off, no they don't have the same firmware. They have the same firmware name so crap like this wouldn't happen, but no not the same.

And once again, and to quote developers that actually create apps for Windows, your apps will not end with 7.8. Please have a backseat

canesfan625

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
LMAO.

First off, no they don't have the same firmware. They have the same firmware name so crap like this wouldn't happen, but no not the same.

And once again, and to quote developers that actually create apps for Windows, your apps will not end with 7.8. Please have a backseat

There is no reason for them to end. Porting apps between 7.8 and 8 will be pretty much trivial. Its the same UI just different API calls. Its like a days work.

selfcreation

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
Okay, so what have we been talking about this whole time?

from what Ive read.. not much.

... we still have next to NO information yet on what EXACTLY we are getting aside from the UI... we might get all the other features ( or close to ) for all we know....

+ id rather MS only give us 7.8 if WP8 is a HUGE different and upgrades Compare to apple that LITERALLY adds dual-core a better battery and makes you pay 800 $ for the SAME phone....

At lease with a WP8 I wont feel like I WASTED cash on the SAME phone as my first GEN WP just to have a *8* on it and Dual-core.... like every SUCKER that upgrades from the Iphone 4 to 4s ... ROLF..

aside from SIRI all you got is a hardware upgrade......and a 649.95$ bill.

and you praise apple for this?

I think Imore.com is a Better Home for you!!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oliveeAria