Windows 10 Anniversary Update 14393.10 Discussion (Initial AU build, Inactive)

Ixolite

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
Anniversary update stuck on spinning white circle

Hey guys,

I am looking for a solution to the problem I have with the anniversary update. It has failed on me twice now at the same point.

It downloads fine, finishes the preparation and ask for a reboot. I reboot, the update progress is showing, triggers 1st automatic reboot at about 30% and continues from there. Then it triggers 2nd automatic reboot at about 70% and that is when it gets stuck. After this 2nd reboot Windows logo briefly shows up with spinning circle below, then it goes blank and only the spinning circle comes back, on a black background. It stays like that - I waited for about an hour and nothing happened. When I restart the computer manually (reset button or power button) it shows the Windows logo for a second, then some window frame flashes on the screen for a fraction of a second (just the frame, the contents is black so can't even tell what's inside of that window) and then it tries to repair the installation and reboots again almost immediately. Then it flashes the frame again, gets stuck on white circles again and after another manual reboot it rolls back the update to pre-update state.

I have disabled the firewall and unplugged everything but a keyboard, mouse and a wireless charger. I do have a card reader in my desktop that I didn't disable in devices manager, not sure if that might be causing the hang. I don't have time to play around currently, but maybe any of you might have any idea of what could be causing the update to get stuck at that point?

EricGagne

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site
re: Windows 10 Anniversary Update Discussion (Production Ring/Official)

After I upgraded yesterday my pc would kinda pause for 10 to 20 seconds every 10 to 15 minutes. Each time it logged and event 129 followed by evenr 153

Source: storahci
Event 129: Reset to device, \Device\RaidPort0, was issued.

Apparently there is something on my motherboard that this Windows's ahci driver does not like. In all honesty, I don't remember if I had this problem when I installed the previous version of windows, maybe I did and changed the driver.

I did however change the driver for one from my mobo manufacture (unfortunately it's a windows 8.1 driver) this morning and these pauses stopped and there has been no new 129 or 153 event logged but a few hours later I got a BSOD. I have no idea if it's in any way related to that ahci issue/driver change

Bobvfr

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site

Just upgraded my desktop, another UK user with Cortana issues, I see the magnifying glass instead of Cortana in the taskbar, no voice input, and when I go into settings it says choose the language for Cortana (All normal settings set to UK) and I see English US, Canada, Aus and India, NO British English.

Any one found a solution?

YKinase

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
Re: Anniversary update stuck on spinning white circle

I'm trying to figure out the same thing on my desktop. I can get to my actual lock screen, but only the network icon shows (no power/accessibility). It flips between the lock screen and a black screen. If I hit the space bar on my keyboard, I see a blue screen with spinning white dots.
I've been able to get to windows by booting in safe mode. The easiest way to do this is to hit the restart button, wait until you see the windows logo then hit the restart button again. The system should present you with repair options. Go to advanced repair, startup options and select Safe Boot. If this works for you, go to the Event Viewer and look for what's causing the errors.

For me, I'm getting Disk errors. However, Chkdsk is fine so it may be a driver error. I may just do a clean install tonight because the system was upgraded from Win 7 a year ago.

One other option is to boot to a Win 10 repair disk or Win 10 AU Update ISO, go to Repair options and select command line. Run c: sfc /scannow to check system files. You'll probably be prompted to unmount the C drive.

None of this worked for me yet but I gave up late last night/this morning. Hopefully your error is not as bad.

cmattau90

Oct 7, 2015
Visit site

I got the same thing. I was working on another computer so I don't know how far it got, but it stuck on the black screen with spinning circle for over an hour. I hard reset twice and reverted back to my old install. I have a 3 year old laptop with plenty of space, memory, etc. and no driver or compatibility issues. I used the upgrade app to download the update.

Great deal

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site

Just upgraded my desktop, another UK user with Cortana issues, I see the magnifying glass instead of Cortana in the taskbar, no voice input, and when I go into settings it says choose the language for Cortana (All normal settings set to UK) and I see English US, Canada, Aus and India, NO British English.

Any one found a solution?

[FONT=open_sansregular]Found a fix (tried it and it works) for missing Cortana. This is changinging registry value so take neccesary precautions, backup etc, solution was posted to a response on Microsoft site...[/FONT]
[FONT=open_sansregular]I found the answer on another thread. It's a registry setting. Starting RegEdit, go to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Search, and change Cortana and Bing permissions from 0 to 1[/FONT]
[FONT=open_sansregular]I was just about to do a refresh, but this worked for me.[/FONT]

MKairys

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
Problems after anniversary upate

Surface Pro 3. Did August firmware update and anniversary update via Windows Update. No problems with process, but now:

1. Cortana is gone. I have only a search icon that opens to "search Windows", no web search. No notebook or Cortana settings. See image.

2. I can't set up the built-in mic. When I go to its properties and check "listen" I can hear myself, although there seems to be a lot of hiss, but whenever I go to Speech and try to set it up I get "the computer can't hear you"

3. I tried to do a reset, said OK to the warning about not being able to roll back the update, and it just hung. Rebooted, repeated, hung again. I can't do a reset via Settings.

Cortana and the mic worked perectly prior, and I depend on both of them for my daily work. Please help!

search.jpg

leahcim2565

Feb 9, 2014
Visit site
Re: Windows 10 Anniversary Update Discussion (Production Ring/Official)

Windows update left me with out a OS. Started update last night before bed. Rebooted in morning before work, it started finishing the update I went to work. Got home rebooted and now got message it could not find a OS.

Joe920

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site

The upgrade wasn't too bad on my TPY12

I lost Cortana after the update, but there is a registry fix.

Tried to copy a file from a USB stick to a folder that had that file already in it. Choosing 'compare' from the dialog shows the USB version of the file as 'Unknown Date, file size 0 bytes' even though Explorer sees the date and size just fine.

Drawboard PDF doesn't want to launch since the update. Stuck on "loading application".

The Mail app just told me "There is insufficient memory or disk space. Outlook cannot display the requested font". 500GB free, 3.9GB of RAM available. Never seen this before

I've noticed Chrome will sometimes interpret a short touch swipe as a really fast one, moving way further along the page than intended. I never had this before the update, at least not in the past months.

So a couple of glitches, but no show stoppers.

sncboom2k

Aug 8, 2014
Visit site

Issue: Asus T100TA Transformer - after anniversary update I had no touch screen (not working) and the display driver was not listed in the Device Manager.
Resolution: Download the chipset SOC driver (With VGA and Camera) from Asus support for Windows 8.1 32bit. Installed fine - all functionality returned. No further updates from MS after install of drivers.

Hope this helps some Asus T100TA owners.

ryanbutik

May 7, 2016
Visit site

Issue: can't install the UPDATE...tried 2x already; finished downloading and installs and ask for a restart...after restart it didn't update to the Anniversary Update still on the same OS build 2.JPG
i will try again for the 3rd time...3.JPG...I hope 3 is a charm.

floppyedonkey

Dec 22, 2014
Visit site

Capture.PNG

My Skype Preview app just sits at connecting never connecting... tried reinstalling no dice.

ryanbutik

May 7, 2016
Visit site

still the same result...its doesn't update via windows update...:cry:

Bobvfr

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site

[FONT=open_sansregular]Found a fix (tried it and it works) for missing Cortana. This is changinging registry value so take neccesary precautions, backup etc, solution was posted to a response on Microsoft site...[/FONT]
[FONT=open_sansregular]I found the answer on another thread. It's a registry setting. Starting RegEdit, go to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Search, and change Cortana and Bing permissions from 0 to 1[/FONT]
[FONT=open_sansregular]I was just about to do a refresh, but this worked for me.[/FONT]

Cheers for that, will try it when I get home from work.

Killerprince

Aug 4, 2016
Visit site

At first I was wondering what windows defender was doing in the background cause it was slowing down and crashing my programs and apps but after an hour it went back down to just now using only 91mb of space in task manager

Valeri Mazdrashki

Feb 12, 2015
Visit site

Hello! I have a problem with the lock screen instead of an image is always displayed a blue background, I tried to set various options in the settings, but nothing helps. I still can't put a picture.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon