Wont charge via USB C- PD

infinitylook

Jul 9, 2016
Visit site
Got my new go and was trying to charge via USB C. I have a USB C PD that advertises it can charge the macbook with usb c(hence it should work for the SG as I suppose). The charger is tronsmart w2dt PD charger here is the spec

https://www.tronsmart.com/products/tronsmart-w2dt-48w-usb-pd-wall-charger-with-quick-charge-3-0

I'm using some third party cable. Now the SG would say it's charging at first few minutes then it would go into error saying that it's discharging instead of charging. It doesn't matter if my SG is turned off or on.

Zeem Frostmaw

Dec 6, 2013
Visit site
If its going to be plugged into a wall anyway, you should use the Surface Connect cable that comes with the device to charge. Save the USBC charging for when you're using a power bank on the go.

bulls96

Jun 25, 2007
Visit site
I would request for a replacement and see if it persists.

30W should be plenty to charge the SG. At least when it is not crunching.

infinitylook

Jul 9, 2016
Visit site
update: I can confirm that the charger works with surface go and charges as fast as the original wall charger. The problem was with the cable. I went to a reputable shop that also sells cables for the new MacBook and there was a huge difference between the quality of their cable with the one I currently have.

When using PD for charging make sure that the cable is one certified for it. I was using this brick since I'm a frequent traveller and it would be nice to have a quick charge 3.0 brick and usb c brick at the same time

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
update: I can confirm that the charger works with surface go and charges as fast as the original wall charger. The problem was with the cable. I went to a reputable shop that also sells cables for the new MacBook and there was a huge difference between the quality of their cable with the one I currently have.

When using PD for charging make sure that the cable is one certified for it. I was using this brick since I'm a frequent traveller and it would be nice to have a quick charge 3.0 brick and usb c brick at the same time

I'm glad that you were able to figure out the solution. Thank you for sharing this tip, as it will be helpful to others as well.

ClintRo

May 28, 2015
Visit site
Got my new go and was trying to charge via USB C. I have a USB C PD that advertises it can charge the macbook with usb c(hence it should work for the SG as I suppose). The charger is tronsmart w2dt PD charger here is the spec

https://www.tronsmart.com/products/tronsmart-w2dt-48w-usb-pd-wall-charger-with-quick-charge-3-0

I'm using some third party cable. Now the SG would say it's charging at first few minutes then it would go into error saying that it's discharging instead of charging. It doesn't matter if my SG is turned off or on.

I know this was solved, but just an FYI I purchased this power brick and it works well. It charges pretty fast, but not as fast as the factory charger.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUwpUvbUpU3759699

With Power Brick listed above:
1bc4daa71dccca73a3bceed21b4e9d81.jpg

With a Surface connect charger (not the factory one just one I had sitting around) 15V 4A):
dc560a31fb66a944a65a623515919159.jpg

LibbyLA

May 20, 2015
Visit site
I don’t see that as being much (if any) difference. 24 minutes to charge from 77% to full (23%) or 21 minutes to charge from 79% to full (21%).

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Happy