Word on the street, Microsoft considering renaming Internet Explorer

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
Microsoft considered renaming Internet Explorer to escape its checkered past
The team hasn't completely ruled out the possibility of re-branding the browser.

Microsoft has had "passionate" discussions about renaming Internet Explorer to distance the browser from its tarnished image, according to answers from members of the developer team given in a reddit Ask Me Anything session today.
In spite of significant investment in the browser?with the result that Internet Explorer 11 is really quite good?many still regard the browser with contempt, soured on it by the lengthy period of neglect that came after the release of the once-dominant version 6. Microsoft has been working to court developers and get them to give the browser a second look, but the company still faces an uphill challenge.

More here

k0de

Nov 24, 2013
Visit site
I think this is a terrible mistake. IE is still dominant on the desktops and laptops markets. Why fix something that's not broken? I say wait until Chrome, Safari, or Firefox overtake
IE in any of these markets before rebranding or renaming.

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
I think this is a terrible mistake. IE is still dominant on the desktops and laptops markets. Why fix something that's not broken? I say wait until Chrome, Safari, or Firefox overtake
IE in any of these markets before rebranding or renaming.
There was a time when Microsoft would put money into the browser and it showed by the number of average people and businesses built their lives around it. They haven't been so interested in that kind of competition in the last few years. Not that they are incapable of competing, they just haven't. Could be the threats from the EU that dampened that urge to do I don't know. but it is its name. If they decide anything like that, I suspect they would announce a new browser with some trendy name for "testing purposes". Then make a browser that could do all kinds of things including word flow and Cortana without the need for plug ins and be virtually immune to Malware.
I could see that track more than renaming IE.

bsayegh

Feb 10, 2013
Visit site
Yes, though it will only work on casual users. Anyone who keeps up with tech in any way will see right through the name change.

But the other problem is that users have no reason to leave. Most people a very happy with Chrome, so why switch? The only reason anyone would switch is if IE becomes much better than Chrome. There are things I like better about either browser, but IE is certainly not on the way to being much better than Chrome.

Jul 14, 2014
Visit site
Don't know why I don't use I.E... I like it's concept, but there are a few bugs here and there that keeps me from using it. I generally prefer Chrome, but I stopped using it due it's MASSIVE ram and battery consumption. Right now I'm using Opera and loving it, with I.E as a secondary browser. Firefox is away from my computer for at least three good years.

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
Don't know why I don't use I.E... I like it's concept, but there are a few bugs here and there that keeps me from using it. I generally prefer Chrome, but I stopped using it due it's MASSIVE ram and battery consumption. Right now I'm using Opera and loving it, with I.E as a secondary browser. Firefox is away from my computer for at least three good years.

I quit using Chrome because of its subculture it creates on my computer. What I mean is, even if you uninstall it, it keeps a hidden folder that doesn't uninstall and continues to ping google servers. Don't like that. When I say go, go. I use Firefox for the most part but IE remains the default browser. IE11 ain't half bad.

anony_mouse

Banned
Aug 10, 2013
Visit site
I quit using Chrome because of its subculture it creates on my computer. What I mean is, even if you uninstall it, it keeps a hidden folder that doesn't uninstall and continues to ping google servers. Don't like that. When I say go, go.

Evidence please.

(I'm not saying you are wrong, but a claim like this needs to be backed up)

anony_mouse

Banned
Aug 10, 2013
Visit site
Its pretty much common knowledge to those of us in tech but here is one of many links to make the point. Well, here is a second link. The uninstall issue link

As far as I can see, none of those links say that Chrome continues to ping Google's servers after uninstallation. That's a serious claim, so I think you should back it up or withdraw it.

Applications leaving behind traces (often large) after uninstallation seems to be a very common problem on Windows. I've suffered with it with several applications recently.

Last edited:

WanderingTraveler

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
Jokes aside, Internet Explorer has been making gains in the anime-loving crowd thanks to Microsoft Taiwan's marketing.

That, and the F12 developer tools in IE11 are fantastic especially if you use VS2013.

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
As far as I can see, none of those links say that Chrome continues to ping Google's servers after uninstallation. That's a serious claim, so I think you should back it up or withdraw it.

Applications leaving behind traces (often large) after uninstallation seems to be a very common problem on Windows. I've suffered with it with several applications recently.

You have the choice to agree or let it alone. I don't plan to withdraw anything.

anony_mouse

Banned
Aug 10, 2013
Visit site
You have the choice to agree or let it alone. I don't plan to withdraw anything.

So let's be clear - you're making a serious allegation (that after uninstallation, Google Chrome continues to 'ping' Google's servers for a purpose or purposes that remain unstated) but you're not prepared to back it up (*) or withdraw it, yet you expect people to believe you. Please explain to me again on what grounds you are making the claim, and also the logic of your position?

(*) I couldn't see any evidence to support your claim in the links that you posted, but if I missed something then please let me know and tell me exactly where to look.

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
So let's be clear - you're making a serious allegation (that after uninstallation, Google Chrome continues to 'ping' Google's servers for a purpose or purposes that remain unstated) but you're not prepared to back it up (*) or withdraw it, yet you expect people to believe you. Please explain to me again on what grounds you are making the claim, and also the logic of your position?

(*) I couldn't see any evidence to support your claim in the links that you posted, but if I missed something then please let me know and tell me exactly where to look.

Bing is your buddy and google is your friend.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
quicktravo