Would you honestly buy another Microsoft Mobile?

miniracer2003

Sep 7, 2015
Visit site
I have a samsung galaxy note 2 and because they have a permanent battery and no SD slot I decided to go to Windows Phone. But, my main reason, and I don't see anyone talking about this at all, is that I want a phone that interfaces better with Microsoft Office and the contacts in Outlook. I was actually excited to be able to open a Word document or an Excel file without having to use a third-party program.

However, after reading this I'm a little hesitant on making the switch. I use Google Maps all the time and it's great and Google search seems to be far superior to any other search, although I have not used Bing in ages. I am also concerned about the bank application. I was told I could use the standard web rather than phone site but we know sometimes the layout of that website, with dialog boxes, prevent you from entering data.

I am also concerned about battery life with the active tiles in Windows Phone. This entire posting is being dictated into my phone and I also like swipe for typing.

So I was gung ho about getting a Windows Phone and now I am not so sure. So many of you are saying bad things about it. I cannot buy an Apple phone after Apple spit in the faces of all Americans by removing millions of jobs, equipment for production and their tax base while Apple was made here and use our resources. Apple needs to be stopped.

For most of us who bought the Samsungs, we are totally pissed off about the battery and the SD card. My phone is almost 3 years old and the battery wears down pretty quickly, so I have extra batteries. I never have to run to a Starbucks with my charger and sit there like an ***** for half an hour while my battery charges. I also hated the interface 4 contacts. I don't know if Windows Phone 10 will work exactly like the latest version of Microsoft Office, I'm sure there will be many differences, but at least the files should be the same. Android cuts off any details in my notes field, where it's unlimited in office and outlook. I am going to try to send this without reviewing it for errors because for some reason I think this has been very accurate, more so than usual and then only corrected the few little things that were obvious.

Dlcpa

I have used both WP8.1 and W10M extensively as daily drivers and I have not had any issues with the concerns you have voiced. Battery life and data usage are almost completely uneffected by live tiles. Also, Windows Phone is so much more efficient than Android that smaller batteries can outlast a larger batteried android device pretty handily. WP8.1 is so snappy that I switched from a string of flagships to a simple Lumia 640 and I can't detect any lag or slowness compared to the premium phone. Even my cheap 640 can shoot pictures that are just as good as iPhone 5s. I don't know anyone with a iPhone 6 or 6s to compare with yet. There realm is no loss of results for searching with Bing either. Google shows soo many irrelevant search results that I find Bing far superior and a more efficient use of my time. Happy shopping!

Tim Stone

Jul 29, 2014
Visit site
I picked up an iPhone 6s and transferred my business (land) line to it. Yes, it has "all the apps" that I can use. Some are essential, some are convenient. The problem is that it does have issues, and the most annoying is Bluetooth. Maybe the new iOS will resolve some of this. Also, when Chase abandoned Win Phone, I really did want to do online deposits which requires a smartphone.

However, my personal line is a Lumia Icon, and right now it's running Windows 10. The phone works, the camera is far better than the iPhone, and the apps are easy to read. It does all I need for a personal line ( messaging, email, calendar, Weather, News, FB and Twitter, plus photos ).

I appreciate the time it takes to get WIn 10 Mobile in shape, especially with the other roll outs. I'm too old to be impatient, so I'll wait and see what comes along. At this point, I won't need another phone, so the question is purely hypothetical. However, if Win 10 Mobile releases, and essential apps were to become available, and if the Lumia Icon begins to fail, I would certainly consider a new windows phone.

I'm not into Android. I like the concept of a consistent OS version across any phone models, and I get that with iOS and W10mobile. It always amuses me when I read of the various Android phones and their specific versions. With iOS and W10mobile, the software will work no matter which device. That is not always the case for Android.

Finally, the number of apps really does not impress me. Most apps are variations on the same task except for games which I do not play. It doesn't matter if there are 100, or 1000, of them. Usually there is one that does the job well. My guess is that the app count is nothing more than a marketing ploy and otherwise has little value. Also, one cannot blame Microsoft when app developers do a poor job. It's not the OS ... it's just poor development teams. All of those apps are from independent companies. As a developer myself, I've seen the efforts Microsoft has expended to make it easy for programmers to build and distribute quality apps. Essentially, it costs nothing for someone to build Windows apps now, which is not the case for other platforms. Those who do take the time to create quality apps for the WIndows platform can make a good living, and face far less competition. We shall see what comes about.

agnish chakraborty

May 27, 2014
Visit site
surely, no doubt on it.... I have a backup android tablet for those minimal no of essential apps I don't have on my Lumia, and I think those apps are soon going to come to windows 10.... so no doubt arises for me....

Jose_Rey

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
I wouldn't buy a Microsoft Mobile. I would however buy a phone from any other company that makes WP. I haven't had much luck with Lumias. I have used both the 920 and 1520. Also the 520, which to this day I consider the best of the these 3 in regards to reliability.

I would not buy any WP atm though. There's just so many apps that you can use on the other OSes. From banking to shopping and all of MS apps. Besides my affinity to Live Tiles, I see no reason to go back right now.

luisfarelo

Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
At the moment I'm selling my Ativ S (which I love) and switching to Android. WP is just always too far behind the competition, apps never come or are never updated, and I hate the look and feel of W10 Mobile. It's just a usability nightmare, the notification center looks ancient. New apps that may come probably will never reach the Ativ S, as it is likely not to be upgraded by Samsung. Lollipop 5.1.1 is now smooth and has a good design, so in reality all WP has for it right now are the live tiles, and even that hasn't seen any progress since the OS launched (interactive live tiles).

920Walker

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
My current 920 is 2.5 years old, no issues. The only problem my first 920 had was not jumping from the car roof to my hand before driving up a boat ramp and cracking the screen on a rock. Smartphone?

Waiting for the next flagship to arrive, unlocked.

dadot

Sep 22, 2014
Visit site
Lumia 640 XL would be my most expensive Lumia phone to buy, despite the fact the phone is in mid range. For me, considering to buy a Lumia flagship is not a wise act since there is no difference among those ranges when Windows 10 for phone is officially launched and rolled out.

limchd

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
After my harrowing experience with the Microsoft Devices Care in my country (it took them a month to replace my 930's proximity sensor) I decided that the downtime is too disruptive and I'll patronise another manufacturer instead and possibly an Android if no good non-Lumia WP flagships are released, which is likely.

bubbagti

Oct 10, 2012
Visit site
I've had the HTC 8X and the Lumia Icon. I bought an IPad a couple of years ago and now I know what they mean by "App Gap". It seams that WP is falling further and further behind...and with MS buying Lumia, the hardware design has falling behind. I'm throwing in the towel and choosing what's best for me. I want a stable OS with a rich App environment. I bought my 1st iPhone yesterday...6s, and I'm not looking back. MS keeps rebooting, rebooting, rebooting. I've finally had it!

stoneysilence

Sep 23, 2012
Visit site
I dunno, I am on the edge. I really like Windows Phone look and style of the OS over iOS or Android. I personally have never had good experiences with Android. My mom's Android constantly has some critical piece of software crashing (mail, contacts, etc...).

I am hoping things will get better with Windows 10 so at this point I am willing to wait it out a bit longer. But I don't think I will wait around till Windows 11.

Abhishek1109

Sep 14, 2015
Visit site
Definitely yes,Though wp has some issues but still its best I have also tried switching to android (s5) but it was frustrating experience...i Like wp and switched again to wp.

JoyeshK

Jun 11, 2015
Visit site
if xiomi comes forward and launches a windows phone I will forget lumia and microsoft mobile. Until then I will use lumia phones.

Cugami

Sep 14, 2015
Visit site
I will definitely, unless MS decides to put more attention in their own apps!
Today, why I am using IOS? Facetime and Cisco Support. Only these. I tried to use my beloved 1520 and call my wife through skype. Not working as flawless as IOS facetime.
Cisco Jabber, still not there yet. I really dont understandwhy MS is still not considering the enterprise support. Today most of the users prefer carrying one device to use it as private and business device. But without cisco support a long way to go.

I am still excited to see the new flagships and the continiuum feature working. Since this will be the killer feature, If MS wants its place back in the mobile platform.

opdiefiets

Mar 19, 2015
Visit site
No, right now i'm using a lumia 620. I quite like it because of it's small size, it lacks speed so I don't use it to it's full potential. There are no similar sized Windows phones with better specs at the moment, so no more windows phone for me. I don't mind too much, Windows mobile is loosing it's unique style anyway. Like windows 10 the mail app syncs really badly.

WDavis4692

Jun 12, 2014
Visit site
How is android 'soulless'? Seriously, people. Go buy an LG G4 and then try telling me it's without soul. I mean, your home screen won't look as active and lively as the live tiles do on WP, but Apple is TWICE AS SOULLESS than Android, as you're using the grid of icons without widgets. Critical software on my G4 - in fact the OS as a whole - has been more stable than my 1520 has.

Michael Bennink

May 8, 2014
Visit site
Well for me it's just the opposite. After been on iOS (3g and 4s) for years, I tried Android with the HTC One M7 and later the Sony Xperia Z2 and when the opportunity came to try WP in the last months of my contract (my Sony died, thanks to insurance I could just pick I new phone for the same value) I switched to the Lumia 930 and have been in love ever since. My next phone would definitely be a Lumia, the 950 XL sounds real nice. My contract is up for renewal around the same time as Microsoft's expected release date, so I'm really looking forward to it.

And I'm just enjoying the fact that I'm using something no one I know uses, I just like to 'Think Different' ;-)

Me Parsi

Sep 19, 2014
Visit site
Yes I would
I had Lumia 920, no I have 1020 and waiting for new mobile city man or talk man
before this I had windows mobile 6.5 and 7
I would recommended to everyone I know

DjeTe

Sep 10, 2014
Visit site
Yes, until I can't do the things I need. I don't need all these apps and my Bank have had an app since day one almost. It's still running on win10m

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Happy