Would you honestly buy another Microsoft Mobile?

neodk

Jun 23, 2015
Visit site
Why are we talking about electronic devices having souls? Ghost in the machine?

Mobile devices have long since been the primary tool in which our society connects with one another. Sure, you could use a keyboard and mouse/trackpad but the bulk of our existence is Tweeted, Instagramed, Liked, and streaming live on Periscope. Just because someone wants to use an Android device doesn't make them a technological deviant. Likewise, a Windows Phone doesn't make you dense. The Apple effect is true, though - stick the logo on something and it will suddenly be worth 2-3 times more than what it actually is. I'm kidding.

Do we all want one winner of the mobile OS war? Do we all want to be using iPhones? Do we all want to be using Windows Phone or Android? Likely not. So let's respect and appreciate the subtle and not so subtle differences.

#WindowsPhoneMatters
#AndroidMatters
#iOSMatters

Shoot, I'm halfway tempted to go back to a flip phone. I'm carrying one with me in case I decide to switch.

Mike Bourbon

Jun 4, 2014
Visit site
I once read that there is an editors group that tracks page clicks and offers suggestions based on the results. One of the things that comes up is always saying nice things about Apple or bad things about Microsoft. It just generates page clicks and comments. Is this one of those things? Is the editor at windows central testing us? I mean, why would a site that caters to Windows Users have a discussion like this?
THe CEO of the company has said Windows Phone isn't going away, the engineers at MS have claimed they are 'massively retrenching'. Beyond that Apple has THRIVED in the desktop/laptop market for 30 years with 3 to 8 percent share, why cant Windows Phone do the same?
If the editors at Windows Central ARE trying to generate pageclicks with discussions like this, then I have an opinion I hope you will take to heart. Everyone else, literally EVERYONE else is doing what your doing here. Do you really want to be like them? No one is offering a site that just gives you news on what's new in the windows world (maybe others exist, but I like this one the most). Why not just concentrate on giving your readers (who are obviously Windows fans with a couple of trolls thrown in) information on how to get more out of their windows devices?
Yeah, maybe you won't get picked as the next editor of Engadget or the Verge, but maybe you will be the next person to run marketing at MS? Which would be better? Know who you are talking to here - if we want to hear the sky is falling at Microsoft, we'd read Tech Crunch.....

surfacegeek

Jun 9, 2014
Visit site
I started with the 920, which I loved, and then got force upgraded to the 1020, which I didn't (nice camera and not much else) and now I'm on an unlocked, unbranded Nexus 6. I felt then and even more strongly now that the Win OS is superior to Android and Cortana is just the icing on the cake. Two items are critical to the user experience in my opinion and detract from the platform success - (un)timely OS updates and poor app selection. The app situation might be fixed somewhat with 10 but the s/w update issue will go on unless MS goes to the same format as Google does with Nexus or Apple does natively. I don't see the update issue being fixed and that is unacceptable to me.

Darius Slepikas

Aug 8, 2015
Visit site
Probably yes, but not sure about Microsoft's approach in phone design. I had Lumia 625, then 535, now I'm using Lumia 830 and I really like the design of the latter one... It's just perfect. But I cannot say the same about Microsoft branded phones. They don't look bad, they may be even considered elegant, but apart that they raise no other emotions. As for WP OS, I really like it and have no complaints. Will probably miss Nokish design...

Apr 6, 2012
Visit site
Apple has THRIVED in the desktop/laptop market for 30 years with 3 to 8 percent share, why cant Windows Phone do the same?

See, people keep saying stuff like this, without doing some more digging about it.
Apple can thrive with laptops and desktops at single digit share, these days it's in the low teens btw, since it serves the >$1000 per unit, end of the market. Their margins on each product sold, as a hardware manufacturer are the envy of all other hardware manufacturers.
Windows phones on the other hand, have a single digit worldwide share, at the lowest end of the phone market, with devices in the <$100 range, with next to zero margin, and Microsoft probably *loses* money on every device sold.

See the difference?

WinCoffee

Banned
Feb 18, 2015
Visit site
I just love desing of Windows. I'm not angry fan boy who **** on myself because W10M isn't WP 8.1. I love W10mobile and it's just huge improve from WP 8.1 and let's us customize look of our phone! Some people say it's just redesinged Android. I think that just B-s*it. If something good is always just "Redesing android" then I guess it is...

Joaquim Reis

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
Yes, but not in the near future. Currently i have a 1520, and it was the worse decision i made. The equipment is great, but the OS its not ready for being a good replacement for the other OS's. Lack of some funcionalities, lack of apps (BIG time), MS prioritizing other platforms instead of their own... are big problems that NEED to be fixed before WM can be considered good.
And unfortunately even IF wm10 can fix these problems, it will require time (in future updates, as the actual features of wm10 are just... meh, and apps will take their time to arrive) that i am not willing to wait.
Also, the UGLY new flagship is a MASSIVE turndown.

mark p1

Sep 14, 2015
Visit site
Honestly yes I would. I have had Android and IPhone before. Yes they may have 1.5 million apps. But there just bragging rights phones. The geeks have windows phone. I will upgrade and get a Lumia 950. I have a Lumia 640 at the moment. Its not bad. Shame about the camera.

But yes truthfully love the windows eco system. No having to do everything through I-tunes. And the most importantly the Windows OS. is sandboxed like IOS so no viruses unless you jailbreak your phone.

So overall Microsoft will bring out ground breaking phones in October, and Windows 10 mobile will be a viable OS option. not a joke anymore. Like the old days. how many apps does your windowsphone have. well now were up to 26. lol.

Roll October 19th I think. the world will be shocked and amazed.

Mike Bourbon

Jun 4, 2014
Visit site
these days it's in the low teens btw,
netmarketshare(dot)com has Desktop Market Share (Meaning machines with OSX installed) at 7.53%. I have never personally seen it over 9% in worldwide market share.....
Furthermore - they can lose money on Windows Phone as long as Android makers keep paying them a license fee per device sold. Once Android develops itself past MS owned proprietary coding, which it will, MS will have $0 income from Android. Building a mobile platform now is key while it costs almost nothing to do. Going to Android would bite them in the *** when they eventually stop collecting from device makers. Windows will stick around and eventually become a much bigger player then they are now.....

Brenninhowz

Sep 14, 2015
Visit site
I am Brazilian, and I started using windows phone why android phones and iphone are very expensive here, about 3x the amount paid player in the United States.
Like a lot, but as I said the financial conditions and high prices for here do not collaborate. Very happy with my lumia 630, purchased by R $ 600, about $ 200. But I learned that it will not receive the 10 windows mobile, is this real? this happens I will be very disappointed, and soon I can not buy another set. I love Brazil, but the corrupt rulers steal and we have to pay.

alpha beta gaga

Mar 7, 2013
Visit site
i don't think i would. basic stuff i take for granted on my laptop i struggle to replicate on my l920.

i ask cortana for a 10 minute timer and i get a stupid list of web results. i should immediately get a 10 minute timer counting down

more basic stuff like this

wp_ss_20150914_0002.png wp_ss_20150914_0001.png

it feels as if android / ios are both evolving at a great pace. win 8.1 just plays catch up far too many times. the future is apps according to apple (apple tv) yet so many apps are either under-developed or completely non existant on win phone

Puspal Mondal1

Sep 14, 2015
Visit site
I am already a Lumia user for more than 4 years and frankly telling that my answer is " NO". Microsoft is good in pc but not in their mobile device. A huge app missing,lack of new invention, lack of software update, absence of flagship device, these are the drawbacks of Lumia. It is so backward now that lumia never ever can catch ios and android.I was a huge Microsoft follower but day by day they become bad to worst.....I will never ever buy :unhappysweat:lumia again.

astrocramp

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
I've bounced around quite a bit. I started my smartphone days with a Samsung i720 after using an HP200LX as my organizer. Then went to Palm. Then back to Windows with a Motorola Q. From there to Android on a Motorola Droid 2 Global. Then to a Motorola Napoleon (prototype hardware), on to iPhone 3GS, then HTC Trophy with Windows Phone 7, to HTC 8X with Windows Phone 8, and now I'm currently on an iPhone 5S and due to an upgrade. I've tolerated or at least appreciated all my devices except my Droid which lagged and crashed at every turn.

My answer is yes, I most definitely would go back to Windows 10 on a great device. I'm getting tired of my iPhone and iOS in general so it's time to switch either to W10 or Android.

If history is any guide, smartphone wars are never "over" and companies will dominate for 5 years or so then completely collapse. I don't know what the next step is, but I like where Microsoft is going with Windows 10 and am intrigued by Continuum. If that actually works I'll jump on board.

rtimi26

Sep 14, 2015
Visit site
Absolutely, if there are more than just Microsoft as OEM then we can have a better choice to choose from like for instance Samsung making a windows tablet again with a 12" screen size and a phone with the specs of the Note 5 would be a great addition to my windows collection.

Bataar

Feb 2, 2012
Visit site
It depends on how soon the Lumia 950s come out. The battery in my Lumia 1520 is definitely on its last legs. I've been thinking about jumping ship because the app/services gap is finally getting painful, but I wanted to at least give Windows 10 a shot. If my battery is too far gone before the 950 comes out, I'll have to jump to Android.

TwoClipz

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
I agree with Bataar.. the gap is getting too big and painful.
I'm an early adopter from the Surface RT to the Band, but its seems like everything is either way too slow to come to market or uninspiring.
If Cityman comes out soon enough then I'll probably get it just as a temp phone until a Surface phone comes out... but if its going to continue to take forever for a high-end Microsoft phone.... then I'm jumping ship. You can only champion the brand for so long, with letdown after let down.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cagkles124