Would you honestly buy another Microsoft Mobile?

MishuRO

Jan 8, 2015
Visit site
After playing with the Talkman for a while now, I most definitely would buy one when it launches. In the end, the whole debate about the next handsets from MSFT being flagships or not boils down to personal taste and *for me*, the Talkman is more than enough. My daily driver is a 640XL which I find a bit too big so that's why I won't consider the Cityman.

Funky Cricket

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
I didn't read all the pages, full discloser.

I would. I have not upgraded my 938 as I wait to see if VZ will get a new MS device. My wife has a Samsung Galaxy S6, and it's pretty nice hardware, I have to admit, but my phone is over 2 years old, which is ancient in phone time.

I miss a few apps, but I'm not a giant app person, our credit union has a mobile app that is just the web site and the web site works fine on my phone. I'm planning to get another as a replacement if they are available.

poddie

Sep 12, 2011
Visit site
I am going to. Not without reservations, mind you. I think Microsoft has done pretty much everything they can to sink the ship. They still seem to be actively trying... if you won't even put the best versions of your own apps on your own platform, something is just drastically wrong with the leadership. They don't have to be better, but they damn well need to be equivalent.

That said, I truly can't stand the way either iOS or Android work. I also have issues with Apple and Google as companies... I can't stand the way Apple tries to lock you into their ecosystem with all the proprietary crap. Not to mention the ridiculous pricing. And I truly believe Google as a company acts... sort of evil. Everybody's like "oooh, free ****!" and then they make tons of money of you in every conceivable way by tracking you. I don't necessarily disagree with the model as long as it is optional and clearly identified as such. But instead, people have no idea what they are signing up for.

I dearly love the mobile os Microsoft created. I do believe that Windows 10 mobile will somewhat dilute that experience, but it is still the best by far. I wish Microsoft could just get out of their own way and support their own platform. We need great quality Microsoft apps and a decent range of devices from them. The whole "no flagships" policy has been absolutely unforgivable... "let's make sure we eliminate all the customers that give us good word of mouth by not providing a decent device for them to buy!". Great idea, MS. I understand sales on high end may not be what you want then to be, but forcing a large percentage of your evangelists to competing platforms just to be able to get the hardware they want is idiotic.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
post-62371-Fiddler-on-the-Roof-Tevye-Ill-cHhZ.gif

But I will certainly pick up something as at least a companion. College has shifted my mobile needs significantly.

Attachments

• post-62371-Fiddler-on-the-Roof-Tevye-Ill-cHhZ.jpg
    post-62371-Fiddler-on-the-Roof-Tevye-Ill-cHhZ.jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 6

Mainer82

May 22, 2013
Visit site
I started out with a WP8 device and loved it. The problem that I started to have is that some of the popular apps such as Pinterest, TPE, etc were not on the phone and the browser was pretty weak. One drive and Evernote were excellent. I also really liked having Xbox games on the phone with Achievements but then that started to go away slowly as well.

I ended up using a iOS device and did not like it that much and now have an Android device that I love due to all of the customizations and all of the popular apps.

It did hurt a bit moving away from a MS handset.

Last edited:

donkiluminate

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
This will sound funny but I think I will begrudgingly stick with a WM device. My wife just ditched her L925 for an iPhone and she let me use it for a week. I just couldn't get used to it. I found the interface boring.

So I'll stick with my L930 since it felt like a breath of fresh air when I came back to it but I'll look longingly at variety and choice the rest of the market has in the apps and devices.

Duke Carey

Sep 1, 2015
Visit site
Almost assuredly not, but I'll keep an open mind. I've had a Verizon 929 (aka Icon) for nearly a year and an 828 before that. While I like the OS, neither phone has been very good. The 929 Icon is especially frustrating.

If I'm connected to WiFi and 4G but lose my WiFi connection - due to moving out of range, for instance - the phone will not access the internet. Sometimes turning WiFi off will fix it, but sometimes it requires rebooting the phone. I want to leave WiFi on all the time, since I'm usually within range, but find myself constantly aware of needing to turn it off and on, depending on availability of WiFi.
There are times it drops down into 3G even though there's a strong 4G signal in that location. In those cases it ALWAYS requires a reboot.
IE is horribly slow to load pages compared to my wife's iPhone 6 browser - on the order of 3 or 4 times as long to load pages.
The voice translation for text messaging and email doesn't know about spoken punctuation, unlike Android, and it also seems to make mistakes in translation far more frequently than my Nexus tablet.
No app for my bank!
I still cannot figure out how to shoot panoramas with the Icon's camera, but with a Samsung Galaxy III it's brain-dead simple and it does a GREAT job.

Some of these issues may not be OS issues but instead could be hardware that is specific to this model or even to my particular phone, but overall I'm not a happy user. I'm going to wait for the broad release of WP10, give it a realistic chance, and then make a decision. Desktop Win10 feels like a step back from Win 8.1, so I'm not optimistic

blushrts717

Oct 5, 2011
Visit site
My phone (Lumia Icon) through work is due to be replaced in April 2016. If I had to replace my phone right now, I would be going back to Android. Since I have some time, I will see how the app issue sorts itself out. I've been a windows phone user since before the mango update, and this just never seems done. There is always "something just around the corner", and every time we go around the corner, it isn't all there.

Love the interface of the phone, just tired of apps missing, or in the case of the one's Microsoft bribed developers to make, apps that are released and never updated. The app situation should improve when Windows phone 10 comes out, but I want to see it first.

marcox92

Sep 12, 2011
Visit site
Absolutely yes

Have not a phone as I have a Marc Lazuren or Lacoste Polo have a phone to use it not to play or spend time when I have time, I don(t walk waiting for unknown calls or messages
Am a geek user ans Windows phone is the best new experience

blushrts717

Oct 5, 2011
Visit site
@Duke, I think there is some hardware issue with the Icon and that is the cause of both the retirement and long time to get it updated. I also have an issue where sometimes the wifi just stops working in my house with a good connection and the phone must be rebooted.

rromerof

Mar 15, 2013
Visit site
I think I have bought my last Windows phone, a Lumia 640XL. Microsoft is making easy for me to migrate, Windows 10 Mobile looks like a OS made with the feet, a lot of bug/crashes, the interface is not uniform across the apps, hamburger menu is not even accesible when using just one hand (screens with < 5"). I definitely would buy a iPhone 6S if Lumia 940xx lets me down.

Avinash Bajaj

Jul 13, 2015
Visit site
Nope, was a big fan of the design philosophy of Windows phone 8.1, but since all those large beautiful fonts are all gone & so are
all those boxy designs and cool animations am gonna switch. Although, Windows 10 is more feature rich than Windows 8.1, but if the main reason itself is gone, I might aswell than just turn towards Android if it is features that I am gonna get. Besides, even Android cameras are getting way too good,Microsoft's has lost the camera advantage also now which Nokia handed them on a silver platter 2yrs back. No more excuses, my money
is off the table.

Thomas Sharp

Sep 1, 2015
Visit site
Android is ugly, janky, and completely insecure. iOS is practically the same interface as it was when Apple revolutionized the market with the first iPhone in 2007. It was great then, but I expect more after all this time. WP isn't perfect, but the interface is the best for what I want out of a mobile computer interface. Can't switch.

nicolas_as

May 30, 2014
Visit site
I don?t think so, i was very excited when i got my first WP a Samsung Ativ S and as the time passed i watch a lot of features that i love been ripped out of the OS, message hub was awesome and now it is gone, bottom bar got replaced by hamburger menu on the upper left.
Then i got a L930, awesome camera and a big heating issue, but nowadays a lot of phones have a awesome camera too, so why Windows Phone?
In my opinion there is nothing that catches your attention on WP anymore, every day it looks more and more like a Android with Live tiles, camera software and hardware are not in front of other makers as it used to be.

ytrewq

May 22, 2014
Visit site
I am happy with the Windows Phone OS, and I was excited to hear that MS is introducing new flagships soon. But as I've watched the rumors unfold, I find myself wondering: Why upgrade at all?

I have had my Icon for 1-1/2 years, and I love it for the camera. Apart from general functionality, the camera is the main thing I care about on a smart phone. I don't play games or spend much time on social media, so I don't care about the supposed app gap. I do take a lot of pictures. The difference between photos taken on my phone and my wife's Galaxy S5 are night and day -- the Icon is vastly superior.

Even though I'm a techie that loves having the latest gadget, I won't upgrade my phone unless (a) the camera quality is at least as good, and (b) the phone has other upgrades that give me a reason to buy a new phone. Looking at the Cityman and Talkman, they do have better processor/memory, but my Icon is plenty fast and powerful for my needs. We'll see what new features they offer. Otherwise, I'll hold on to my Icon and see what the Surface phone looks like next year.

As for other operating systems, I refuse to own Apple products on principle (based on the closed OS), and while Android is a fine OS, the phone manufacturers insist on butchering it with bloatware and changes. Now that MS will be manufacturing phones itself and selling them unlocked, I love the fact that I can get the OS as it was intended to be. I also love the fact that there will be no more waiting for carriers to approve updates. We will get the OS as it is supposed to be, upgraded as soon as MS makes the upgrade available. I'm very excited about that.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alec sander