Would you honestly buy another Microsoft Mobile?

Paul Cordova

Feb 4, 2015
Visit site
I'm frustrated with the beta of WM10 and am having a hard time deciding if I'll jump on a 950XL. I realize betas all have their issues but as we get closer and closer to the alleged release I'm not gaining any confidence. I do still love the personalization and uniqueness of the UI on windows and feel it's far better than Android or Apple. However, promised apps that haven't arrived and no support by most banking institutions really hurts. Missing social app like snap chat really push the age up on the user base as well. I get the idea of a 'work' phone but the apps aren't there for this to be the case. Concur(a business expense app) is a joke of what is on iOS. Airline apps suck. The list is long.

I've waited this long with my Icon and will probably get a 950XL but it will be my last Windows phone if the ecosystem doesn't beef up.

Ukscooter

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site
I am planning on staying with Windows Phone - it is does what I need and works seamlessly for me. That being said the 950 and 950XL are going to have to be awesome phones - MS needs to bring a flagship phone to the game. What is frustrating is the suggested wait we will have after the planned announcements in October for the possibllity of the Surface Phone. I would hate to upgrade in October to a 950XL only to see the Surface Phone out in the new year. MS should announce all 3 at once, there is a chance of upsetting a fair few people in the Windows Phone community if they split the announcement or delivery of the suggested Surface Phone.

:winktongue:

awesomeindeed

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
I'm undecided, honestly. I love the WP platform. I love the tiles. I love the simplicity. What I don't like is having to always tell people "no, sorry, I don't have that app" or "no, I can't do that, I have a Windows Phone."

I recently (2 months ago) picked up an iPhone 6 Plus, and it's a very solid device. Yes, it has a TON of apps that I'll never use, but all of the important ones (and more important than that, all of the ones all of my friends and family use) are there. Yes, it has the same icon layout as it's always had, but it's VERY fast, and very fluid. The extra half second I wait for my 830's screen to turn on and unlock means I'm already in the app I was looking for anyway with the iPhone. Bluetooth seems to work better in my car, where my 830 (all 3 of them that I've had) is horrible in that regard.

Mobile payments.... I can't tell you the number of times I have left my wallet in my laptop bag or in the center console of my truck, but didn't go back for it because I could make my purchases anyway because I had my phone on me. It just works, and it's once again, very fast.

The camera quality is not equal with WP's PureView models, but the pictures are still very good, and I can burst capture and record slow motion video like no tomorrow, with no 3rd party apps necessary. Having a two-year old son who is extremely active, this is a huge plus.

Overall I feel like while I love MS and WP, the platform still has a very long way to go in catching up. They have a lot of desirable features and overall I like the tile system better (I don't know who wouldn't) than static icons, but the fluid and seamless experience you get with the iPhone is really hard to argue against. Trust me, I hate saying that, but it's true.

I'm really hoping to be impressed with the 950 and 950XL, but I'm not holding my breath after being on the other side of the fence for the fist time in years (I was a WP convert from the hardcore Android ROM world with the first HTC Titan, and have owned Lumia 900, 920, 1020, 1520, 830, 640XL), and MS has made that transition very easy by allowing ALL of their apps and services on those other platforms that work equally well. The advantages of having more than you "need" seem to outweigh being content with what I have, in my case. I know that if I need to do something that would be out of the ordinary for me on WP, I can do it now, basically no questions asked.

I'm torn. I'll probably pick up a new WP to play with the new hardware, but it will really need to provide a compelling experience for me to go back full time.

Zomby Jeezus

Mar 18, 2013
Visit site
I am planning on staying with Windows Phone - it is does what I need and works seamlessly for me. That being said the 950 and 950XL are going to have to be awesome phones - MS needs to bring a flagship phone to the game. What is frustrating is the suggested wait we will have after the planned announcements in October for the possibllity of the Surface Phone. I would hate to upgrade in October to a 950XL only to see the Surface Phone out in the new year. MS should announce all 3 at once, there is a chance of upsetting a fair few people in the Windows Phone community if they split the announcement or delivery of the suggested Surface Phone.

:winktongue:

You posted this at exactly 10:20am. Ironic, I think not!

Rogarh

Mar 13, 2013
Visit site
Absolutely.

Though I would prefer a "Surface Phone" (if it will ever exist).

Proud owner of Lumia 822, 920 and 1520 (current).

Dueydoodah

May 20, 2013
Visit site
Yep, I'm all in. Buying two on day one. I've been happy with my 920 all these years but it's time for another indestructible poly phone with Qi charging. Also, a phone that can be my desktop computer? How can I not go that route?

ernestperol

Feb 18, 2014
Visit site
I never heard of windows phone until 2011, I saw someone at my church with the HTC Radar running windows 7,that's when I do research on Windows phones and got myself a Lumia 620 and felt in love with it, then brought a Lumia 1520 unlocked but now the Lumia 950 and 950 xl is a IDK or I don't think I'll buy neither of the phones, I'll stick my Lumia 1520 for now. The 950/950 xl render make me thinking twice.
First: On Screen Bottoms give a feeling using an Android phone.
Second: Can't replace the Lumia 1520,930,The Icon and 928 or the 925.

Brijesh B Mandrekar

Jul 3, 2014
Visit site
Nokia was Nokia.... Microsoft is Microsoft, only reason wp gained life was Nokia goodwill... Wp7 was so **** , even wp8 , no ability to download & upload via browsers ... Don't think Microsoft can do work better than Nokia .... Actually today's windows 10 phone should hv been os when Lumia 800 or 920 was launched...

Mark Baker3

Aug 4, 2014
Visit site
Yes. I like the os. It does everything I need. I love my 930 and it is mint so no 950 for me yet. I'll wait till they are cheaper I expect.

raydwatts

Jul 4, 2014
Visit site
I probably will. I started with an L520 which was cheap, then bought a L1520, which after year felt just too big so replaced with an L930. I will wait until I can see the WP950 in the flesh until I decide on getting one, but it wont be immediate because I'm happy with my current phone and I'll wait for a promotion or buy used. The 950XL seems as if it would be too big again so I'll avoid it.

jaimeastin

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
Yep! looking forward to it... Unlike mny people, I have not felt shafted or deprived. I can do all I want ans need.... But I also have a lot of devices, so I am not trying to make my phone more than I expect... I have an android phone on the side that I thought would be nice for the apps I am apparently missing out on... But I never use it... I only use it when I am fishing as.if I drop it off of the kayak or boat, I wont miss it... It is to protect my precious windows phone, not replace it.

Apps and games... I just don't realistically have time for the hips social crap. I love real life, not behind some phone app.

TuanLVT

Dec 3, 2013
Visit site
why didnt u make a poll on this thread? i understand u and i have the same problem but my answer is still yes i would buy new flagship... im w8ing for WL1050... i love my camera so i cant go back from 41mp to 20mp

i heard there is chinese phone brand that is going to release 41mp camera... but i like the WP/W10M UI

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99