12-29-2015 10:13 AM
211 ... 56789
tools
    I don't understand why people can't experience things for themselves. If you have issues with the phone and have gone through troubleshooting and you're still experiencing issues then go ahead and return it. You either need to accept the fact that you have to wait or it just won't work for you for the time being.

People have the right to be upset and to vent their frustrations, but I feel like people are here only to agitate others.

I personally didn't have any major issues other than the update/storage full problem which has been patched so it works fine. There are other minor issues, but nothing that I can't deal with at the moment. If I had as many issues as others I would've returned the phone and probably fixed my old phone or purchased a LG V10. It's either our problem (Microsoft and I) or their problem cause I would just return the phone.

TL;DR - Don't feel obligated to hold onto this phone. Either you stick with the issues or return/exchange it. Speak with your money and not with random angry posts on a website that Microsoft won't even see.
    12-28-2015 09:44 AM
    Well, I'll call it Alpha. Still a NOPE.
    loribinca, scottinmd and DJCBS like this.
    12-28-2015 09:56 AM
    I have a 950 which I received for Christmas. I've been using it for 4 or 5 days now, everything works pretty well. I haven't had any major issues, my biggest problem with it is that the phone is usually a bit warm during use (not hot, just warm), and the battery life isn't as good as WP8.1 was. The battery life is still about on par with Android, and I think it will probably improve over time.
    editguy likes this.
    12-28-2015 10:03 AM
    I don't get why you're hating on Fisher. He did a very positive piece on continuum a short while ago.

He's just telling it like it is.

For all those people who are saying "I don't see any of those .. " here is a question

how comes some people see these issues and some don't - isn't it supposed to be the exact same phone with the exact same software? how are some people seeing issues and some not?

Either they're "Using it wrong" (to borrow a well known phrase) or there is a fundamental quality issue with the hardware - which in and of itself is a pretty large problem.

Honestly. I love my 1520.3, and I once upon a time I was excited for these two phones, but then I tried the preview and found it to be full of bugs, so I quickly rolled back to 8.1, which is where it's staying for now.

I guess my basic point is that WP10 is not functionally consistent enough to be recommended to anyone - which is kinda the point Mr. Fisher makes, and makes it clearly and demonstrably.
    theefman and Kram Sacul like this.
    12-28-2015 10:03 AM
    Windows Mobile = BlackBerry OS
    It's not Windows mobile, its Windows 10. No body even knows about Blackberry outside USA. Windows on the other hand is the other name of PC. Even your Android apps are made on a Windows PC.
    12-28-2015 10:10 AM
    For your information, a person will review the phone for what it does now. Not after Microsoft takes it sweet time to fix all the bugs. If Microsoft didn't want the bad reviews they shouldn't have released Windows 10 Mobile in this state.

But then again, why am I even surprised? The Windows Phone Mantra has always been "the next update will fix the problems".
    There are some great things too on Lumia 950 XL, which are not there on rival phones. This doesn't warrant a -ve review. He could have at least given a moderate review.
    Michael Fischer is wrong here. Stop defending him. I believe that success of Lumia 950 XL is not only important for Microsoft but also for the entire smartphone industry because it takes smartphones to the next level.
    12-28-2015 10:20 AM
    This thread is like so many on WC these days. Almost completely dominated by the folks that aren't happy with Microsoft and their products.

Nothing I can see is going to change that. It's simply our culture. And not just the culture of us "Yankees" either, but seems to be pretty much worldwide. (Kind of indicates that mankind has advanced to the point where far larger percentages of the population are now blessed to be in the "haves", instead of the "have nots")

Regardless, if you are someone who is enjoying your Microsoft products and are feeling like you are in the minority, don't let that then turn into some kind of burden to change the minds of the apparent majority. To me it is foolish to relinquish your joy over the debate. Not to mention that the gripes DO have a basis of fact to them, although I personally feel our low threshold of pain these days blows most things completely out of proportion.

I'll be labeled as a fanboy, and it really doesn't cost me a thing. I make my living and feed my kids and send them to college by using the technology-tools I carry in my travel bag. Currently they are a SP4 and a 950XL. They replaced my SP2 and 1520. These are my "daily drivers" and I consider them Mission Critical. If they weren't worthy, I'd be still using their predecessors. They are both superior devices to the ones they replaced and I am amazed at the continual march of progress! I have said many times that I go to sleep every night and when I wake up I marvel at what "they" have invented last night.

And if you don't approve of what they offer you today, that's really ok, because they are going to offer something else tomorrow.

Note: "They" = Apple, Google, Microsoft, and many more. There have NEVER been more choices. And they are ALL quite remarkable, if we are honest about it. We live in amazing times.
    12-28-2015 10:26 AM
    This thread is like so many on WC these days. Almost completely dominated by the folks that aren't happy with Microsoft and their products.

Nothing I can see is going to change that. It's simply our culture. And not just the culture of us "Yankees" either, but seems to be pretty much worldwide. (Kind of indicates that mankind has advanced to the point where far larger percentages of the population are now blessed to be in the "haves", instead of the "have nots")

Regardless, if you are someone who is enjoying your Microsoft products and are feeling like you are in the minority, don't let that then turn into some kind of burden to change the minds of the apparent majority. To me it is foolish to relinquish your joy over the debate. Not to mention that the gripes DO have a basis of fact to them, although I personally feel our low threshold of pain these days blows most things completely out of proportion.

I'll be labeled as a fanboy, and it really doesn't cost me a thing. I make my living and feed my kids and send them to college by using the technology-tools I carry in my travel bag. Currently they are a SP4 and a 950XL. They replaced my SP2 and 1520. These are my "daily drivers" and I consider them Mission Critical. If they weren't worthy, I'd be still using their predecessors. They are both superior devices to the ones they replaced and I am amazed at the continual march of progress! I have said many times that I go to sleep every night and when I wake up I marvel at what "they" have invented last night.

And if you don't approve of what they offer you today, that's really ok, because they are going to offer something else tomorrow.

Note: "They" = Apple, Google, Microsoft, and many more. There have NEVER been more choices. And they are ALL quite remarkable, if we are honest about it. We live in amazing times.
    Well put. It's weird that being happy with something you bought has become something to be ashamed of lately.
    wpguy and editguy like this.
    12-28-2015 11:15 AM
    To the people who have zero problems with their Lumia 950: What are your settings? Do you have a Skype account signed in? Do you use Windows Hello? Do you use "Hey Cortana"? Camera backup? Text message Backup? What are your background apps?

I'm just wondering. I've had a mess of problems and I want my phone to run optimally. I'm willing to give up a few features if I know my phone will work a lot better.
    12-28-2015 11:19 AM
    To the people who have zero problems with their Lumia 950: What are your settings? Do you have a Skype account signed in? Do you use Windows Hello? Do you use "Hey Cortana"? Camera backup? Text message Backup? What are your background apps?

I'm just wondering. I've had a mess of problems and I want my phone to run optimally. I'm willing to give up a few features if I know my phone will work a lot better.
    Yes all the way.
    Only things I change were some settings to enable stuff where needed.

Edit: Oops, 950XL here lol
    12-28-2015 11:23 AM

I use the phone with everything enabled. I'm signed into my Microsoft account which is also my skype as integrated. I have office 365. I have a Groove music pass. Photos uploaded automatically. OneDrive syncs perfectly. Seriously, everything about my phone and my accounts work perfectly. That's all I can say.
    12-28-2015 11:26 AM
    I use the phone with everything enabled. I'm signed into my Microsoft account which is also my skype as integrated. I have office 365. I have a Groove music pass. Photos uploaded automatically. OneDrive syncs perfectly. Seriously, everything about my phone and my accounts work perfectly. That's all I can say.
    Same here, pretty much. However, I did setup my battery saver allowed background apps manually. But I haven't used battery saver mode since I am always above the threshold. Full disclosure: I do not purposely avoid charging my phone just to see if it will last forever. :)
    I'm a modern road warrior and have the ability to charge "devices" almost anywhere I go. Bedside, Desk-Office, truck, motorcycle.......

I also feel that until a new device, especially a phone, has gone a few days without me messing with it under-the-hood, I should reserve my final assessment. There is nothing normal about the first few days of a new gadget. I hardly put it down while I explore it, configure it, and TEST its capabilities. For the 950XL, it is a far better phone today than it was on Thanksgiving day. For many reasons, of course.
    12-28-2015 11:43 AM
    There is a lot of negativity on this thread.

I have a 930 with 8.1. I prefer the 950 XL with Windows 10 Beta. It is a superior phone, the software is much better. The reboots, while annoying, don't bother me that much.
    LOL, Spoken as a TRUE Windows Phone fanboy. This is what you would expect from a cheapo $99 phone non contract, older, buggy software. At $650 going head to head with a iPhone 6+, and the flagship Samsung, you should not be getting beta software or software with the level of bugs it DOES HAVE (no matter how many people here say it's perfect, there is 10X as many people who have issues with it).

The 950 and 950XL should of been shipped with 8.1 on it with features disabled with a note Windows 10 will be coming to enable all features on the phone.

A solid OS, and when Windows 10 GOT to the point where it was like 8.1 is, then upgrade it...

Windows 10 mobile will be great the problem is after about 5 more updates (Preview builds), they SHOULD NOT BE ALLOWED to sell a $650 phone with so many bugs..... should be a law against it...but, now publicly it just damages the Microsoft brand.

It really should of been delayed a few months but, this is a Microsoft trend... and will be their demize some day...
    loribinca and Kram Sacul like this.
    12-28-2015 11:52 AM
    For him to have such consistency getting the same errors on multiple phones, over multiple OS upgrades makes me wonder if he isn't restoring a "corrupt" backup to the phone each time. (Not that there should ever be a corrupt backup to restore, but if he somehow got one from a prior device that isn't a fault of the 950XL.)
    Muessig likes this.
    12-28-2015 11:52 AM
    I have aLumia 1020 & a Lumia 950 running Windows 10 mobile. they are both runnng fine and I think 10 runs better on the 1020 than 8.1 did.
    I have three phones with W10 10586.36 (630, 1020 and 640XL). I won't deny that W10M runs fine, but for me it is still a Beta:
    - It is inconsistent.
    - It has a lot of basic functionality issues, at least in my case with music streaming through bluetooth (funny thing is that after disconnecting my bluetooth speakers, my devices get stuck in "silent mode" having full volume setting).
    - With multitasking, even after closing every open app, instead of returning to start screen, windows resumes apps that were closed a long time ago and didn't appear on multitasking screen.
    - "Resuming" screen is still there, even worst, it appears when trying to reach the start screen (for me this is Unacceptable).
    - Sometimes "Groove Music" crashes after resuming it.

It's like Microsoft had hired amateur developers to make all the stuff. Personally I am fed up of this situation. Enough!issue001.pngissue002.png
    12-28-2015 12:03 PM
    Ive actually had no major problems with my 950xl, except occasionally when i goto send a text, there is a delay before it shows that I sent it - but other than that its good 95% of the time
    12-28-2015 12:19 PM
    Agreed. I ran the preview version on my 1520 before making the jump to the 950. Its a lovely OS but issues from the preview are still present. Mine has issues with Messages and attaching photo's to it. Random Restarts or app crashes. Annoying but it should improve with time.
    12-28-2015 12:21 PM
    Am I missing something? Can someone explain me that multiple tile screens 1:50 - 1:55 in the video?
    12-28-2015 01:46 PM
    Am I missing something? Can someone explain me that multiple tile screens 1:50 - 1:55 in the video?
    Photos app.
    12-28-2015 01:56 PM
    There is no such thing as beta software anymore. Software improves continually and is released every few weeks.
    12-28-2015 02:16 PM
    There is no such thing as beta software anymore. Software improves continually and is released every few weeks.
    When it comes to Microsoft.....Beta and Buggy are part of the same thing....

Key thing, a top end priced phone should not of been released with Buggy or Beta software on it...
    12-28-2015 02:26 PM
    I do not know, where these issues came from. I have 640 XL and none of these issue I ever faced, even battery life, responsiveness and performance is very good, not excellent though!!. I think, 950 series is much better than 650 :).
    12-28-2015 02:56 PM
    It's not Windows mobile, its Windows 10. No body even knows about Blackberry outside USA. Windows on the other hand is the other name of PC. Even your Android apps are made on a Windows PC.
    It's not Windows 10, it's Windows 10 MOBILE, aka, Windows Phone 10. Just because WP10 and Windows 10 share a common base doesn't mean what you have on your phone is Windows 10. It isn't.

Also, BlackBerry is pretty well known in Europe too. So...
    a5cent and Laura Knotek like this.
    12-28-2015 03:23 PM
    LOL, Spoken as a TRUE Windows Phone fanboy. This is what you would expect from a cheapo $99 phone non contract, older, buggy software. At $650 going head to head with a iPhone 6+, and the flagship Samsung, you should not be getting beta software or software with the level of bugs it DOES HAVE (no matter how many people here say it's perfect, there is 10X as many people who have issues with it).

The 950 and 950XL should of been shipped with 8.1 on it with features disabled with a note Windows 10 will be coming to enable all features on the phone.

A solid OS, and when Windows 10 GOT to the point where it was like 8.1 is, then upgrade it...

Windows 10 mobile will be great the problem is after about 5 more updates (Preview builds), they SHOULD NOT BE ALLOWED to sell a $650 phone with so many bugs..... should be a law against it...but, now publicly it just damages the Microsoft brand.

It really should of been delayed a few months but, this is a Microsoft trend... and will be their demize some day...
    Have you actually ever looked at how the software was on the iPhones during release or even flagship Android devices on release. You have to compare it to other devices, compare the other devices in the same state. iPhones have had huge issues during major ios updates and many issues during launch. It is a new product and there will always be fixes. The reason for this is that it is impossible to catch every bug before a release when you don't have the sheer number of people to test a device and find those bugs.
    editguy likes this.
    12-28-2015 03:33 PM
    If you see the review from 1:51 to 1:56. he has 3 different start / glance screen (blue/Green/Black). How to make that. Appreciate any suggestion.
    12-28-2015 04:27 PM
211 ... 56789