03-04-2015 12:41 AM
113 12345
tools
    Truly, I hope it never is #1. I like being the underdog.

I just don't ever want it to go away. I can't stand Android or iOS, they're both so clunky and cumbersome. Apps just don't matter to me, I care about functionality and the things WP does well.
    Blackadder_100 likes this.
    03-02-2015 09:18 AM
    WP is here to stay for as long as MS thinks it can be profitable, but when the sales and profits can't cover the costs, then we can say buhbye
    03-02-2015 09:50 AM
    Let's not forget that Windows 10 will not only bring even more cross-developed software, but the shared bits will also be a significant factor in driving enterprise sales. I mean enterprise in terms of device menufacturers, as well as companies who need thousands of devices for their business.
    Not sure what companies you think have thousands of devices....

Also MS is a bit late to the party. They had the opportunity to make W8 the device to replace BB but didn't have the Enterprise solutions people wanted so they lost out. Most companies have already switched to iPhone and Android.
    03-02-2015 09:59 AM
    No gloom and doom, no constant whining and no moaning about "BlackBerry doesn't care about us?
    You haven't been to Crackberry in a while, have you?
    MikeX74 and nmco9 like this.
    03-02-2015 10:14 AM
    Even when Microsoft does make a flagship, the advertising is terrible or just ends after a month. With the 930 and icon, there ads were terrible.
    N_LaRUE and nmco9 like this.
    03-02-2015 10:37 AM
    Actually, yes. The 10.3 update has quieted most of the whiners. You're always going to have malcontents, that's the nature of today's "I want it all and I want it now" society.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    03-02-2015 10:48 AM
    BlackBerry doesn't have half the market share that WP has, yet they're an enthusiastic bunch. No gloom and doom, no constant whining and no moaning about "BlackBerry doesn't care about us". People, grow up. It's a PHONE!!! Stephen Stills said it best "If you can't be with the one you love, love the one you're with".
    Well I think the difference right now is that BlackBerry is actually making some progress whereas Microsoft is just kind of throwing a sh!t ton of phones out there and saying "here". I'm not a whiner at all, but since Nadella has taken over, Windows Phone seems like it has been thrown on the back burner in favor of expanding all of Microsoft's services.

I also get that they're working hard at Windows 10, but it's just the place we're at in Microsoft's timeline right now where there isn't anything tangible at all for Windows Phone users to care much about, and there hasn't been in a while
    N_LaRUE, steve_w_7 and nmco9 like this.
    03-02-2015 11:03 AM
    Actually, yes. The 10.3 update has quieted most of the whiners. You're always going to have malcontents, that's the nature of today's "I want it all and I want it now" society.
    And also, to be fair, BB10 users up until 10.2.1 had a lot to legitimately complain about too. But at this point for them, they're down to just their hardcore fans who would buy anything with a BlackBerry logo on it. Everyone else left, though the Passport and even the Classic seem to have created a spark for them.
    N_LaRUE and Laura Knotek like this.
    03-02-2015 11:07 AM
    Truth is that Microsoft have no one to blame but themselves fo r their bad reputation. I love MS and the direction they are going in. Recently I have dinner with a good friend and talk turned to tech. We went to Vegas 2 years ago and on my say so he purchased a Surface 2, I told him to get the SP2 and he opted for S2. I explained what Hololens is and its potential, and the other exiting things coming in Windows 10, he just shook his head and said, 'but its Microsoft' I wont ever buy anything from MS as it just doesn't work and I cant really argue with him as looking back through short history reveals catastrophic blunder after blunder. Yes I believe MS has turned a corner and they need to deliver outstanding tech (without stupid hardware and software bugs ) to win the hearts and minds of those who have been bitten. One bitten twice shy as they say.
    03-02-2015 11:11 AM
    though the Passport and even the Classic seem to have created a spark for them
    That's what I was referring to. The Classic is arguably a mid-range phone at best and the Passport is clearly not for everybody. Yet there is a certain buzz as you stated.
    ajst222 and Laura Knotek like this.
    03-02-2015 12:04 PM
    That's what I was referring to. The Classic is arguably a mid-range phone at best and the Passport is clearly not for everybody. Yet there is a certain buzz as you stated.
    I guess that's what they wanted...they wanted a form factor that was totally different, and another that brings back nostalgia. It's arguably worked very well for them.

As far as the Classic goes, I was a BlackBerry fan using the Z10 last about a year ago. There were rumors about the Classic back then and I thought it was a horrible idea to bring back the trackpad and toolbar. Not only that, but they're probably using internals stripped from all their Z10s and Q10s they didn't sell. However, I've been eyeing one for quite some time. The nostalgia oddly worked.
    03-02-2015 12:08 PM
    Any other new born OS wouldn't do any better than WP did ... Look at blackberry how they struggling to get apps hhh plus why u care if people like it don't like windows phone ?
    03-02-2015 12:15 PM
    I was just about to post this. Thanks.
    03-02-2015 12:17 PM
    I guess that's what they wanted...they wanted a form factor that was totally different, and another that brings back nostalgia. It's arguably worked very well for them.
    Sales are still falling, so definitely It's not working for them. They're moving all their apps and services to the other platforms. The 10.3.1 update was a big failure, I only saw complains in their forums.

BB10 is a dead platform.
    03-02-2015 12:24 PM
    Sales are still falling, so definitely It's not working for them. They're moving all their apps and services to the other platforms. The 10.3.1 update was a big failure, I only saw complains in their forums.

BB10 is a dead platform.
    Not sure about sales falling. Sales of the Passport have been strong (on a small scale). Don't know about the Classic.

But that's the thing. They're being smart. They're not pre manufacturing millions of phones only to not sell. They're making a profit. They're trying to compete on the smaller scale in a niche market, and they can do that effectively.

As far as moving their services to other platforms...so is Microsoft. You've got no valid point there.

The only reason people complained about 10.3.1 to my knowledge was because of the removal of Flash, which let's face it, had to be done.

I don't think BB10 is totally dead.
    fatclue_98 and nmco9 like this.
    03-02-2015 12:50 PM
    BB10 is a dead platform
    Yep, they're so dead that Samsung was forced to partner up with them to get Knox secure. Just yesterday they announced the upcoming "BlackBerry Experience Suite" to Android and iOS. Just a couple of months ago, they saved Sony's collective a$$ with legacy devices to get their email up and running after the breach. With all the security failures going on, expect BlackBerry to remain relevant.
    ajst222 likes this.
    03-02-2015 01:51 PM
    Yep, they're so dead that Samsung was forced to partner up with them to get Knox secure. Just yesterday they announced the upcoming "BlackBerry Experience Suite" to Android and iOS. Just a couple of months ago, they saved Sony's collective a$$ with legacy devices to get their email up and running after the breach. With all the security failures going on, expect BlackBerry to remain relevant.
    As far as BB10 (the OS itself), it COULD die. We will see what happens there, but they're looking ok right now in that regard I think.

As far as BlackBerry itself, I think it's pretty clear now, for the reasons you stated, that the company and its services will be around.
    Laura Knotek and tiziano27 like this.
    03-02-2015 01:55 PM
    Not sure about sales falling. Sales of the Passport have been strong (on a small scale). Don't know about the Classic.

But that's the thing. They're being smart. They're not pre manufacturing millions of phones only to not sell. They're making a profit. They're trying to compete on the smaller scale in a niche market, and they can do that effectively.
    The Passport is irrelevant in terms of volume, and sales haven't been strong, that's BB BS.

Microsoft could make a couple of millions selling 500k units per quarter, stopping the development of the platform and relying completely in Android apps, but what's the point of doing that? What's the value for the user? BlackBerry is porting their core apps to iOS and Android, so BB10's value is reduced to a glorified app launcher which is pretty inefficient in terms of resource usage.

BlackBerry could survive selling enterprise services, but that's not clear yet. In fact, sales of that division are also falling.
    03-02-2015 03:41 PM
    As far as BB10 (the OS itself), it COULD die. We will see what happens there, but they're looking ok right now in that regard I think.

As far as BlackBerry itself, I think it's pretty clear now, for the reasons you stated, that the company and its services will be around.
    I don't think BlackBerry, the company, will die. However, I believe it remains to be seen whether or not they will continue making handsets or just be a software/services company.
    ajst222 likes this.
    03-02-2015 03:53 PM
    The Passport is irrelevant in terms of volume, and sales haven't been strong, that's BB BS.

Microsoft could make a couple of millions selling 500k units per quarter, stopping the development of the platform and relying completely in Android apps, but what's the point of doing that? What's the value for the user? BlackBerry is porting their core apps to iOS and Android, so BB10's value is reduced to a glorified app launcher which is pretty inefficient in terms of resource usage.

BlackBerry could survive selling enterprise services, but that's not clear yet. In fact, sales of that division are also falling.

I think you're missing the point where I said they're doing it smartly and on a small scale.

Everything after that about Microsoft and 500k a quarter...I'm confused.

And Microsoft is doing the same with their core apps. So why is it a double standard when Microsoft does it?

And about BB10 being an app launcher I don't agree
    03-02-2015 03:54 PM
    I don't think BlackBerry, the company, will die. However, I believe it remains to be seen whether or not they will continue making handsets or just be a software/services company.

That's been the big debate. After the Z30, I've been a believer that BlackBerry should just give up on hardware. But they seem to have something with the Passport and Classic. Let's see what happens
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    03-02-2015 03:56 PM
    That's been the big debate. After the Z30, I've been a believer that BlackBerry should just give up on hardware. But they seem to have something with the Passport and Classic. Let's see what happens
    I think the main problem with the Z30 was that it was only available for Verizon in the US. It wasn't a bad device; in fact it's the device I would've considered getting. At this point, I'm totally done with any consideration of BlackBerry devices, since I wouldn't use anything with a physical keypad at this point in time.

Because of the use of gestures, to me BB10 is best suited for touchscreen only hardware, not physical keypad hardware.
    ajst222 likes this.
    03-02-2015 03:59 PM
    I think the main problem with the Z30 was that it was only available for Verizon in the US. It wasn't a bad device; in fact it's the device I would've considered getting. At this point, I'm totally done with any consideration of BlackBerry devices, since I wouldn't use anything with a physical keypad at this point in time.

I owned the Z10 twice (separated by 928) and it was the definition of adequacy. At launch, BB10 sucked, and I spent $700 for it day one.

Then the 928, this was with 8.0...wasn't sold. It felt like it was missing something, so I halfheartedly went back to a Z10. As soon as the 8.1 preview came out, I bought a 928 and haven't looked back until now.

I'm not giving up on Windows Phone at all. I've got my 1020, but I'm looking to find a Classic to use until the next Windows flagship. BB10 has developed a lot.

I used a Z30 briefly on 10.3 and it is a nice phone. Less than adequate screen and camera which are major killers for me though. Also used a Q10 for about a week.

It's weird because the only two OS's I like are the two underdogs. Not a fan of Android or iOS. Windows Phone is my undisputed favorite and BB10 just has something about it.

So between CrackBerry and Windows Central, I've been through a lot lol
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    03-02-2015 04:07 PM
    Truly, I hope it never is #1. I like being the underdog.

I just don't ever want it to go away. I can't stand Android or iOS, they're both so clunky and cumbersome. Apps just don't matter to me, I care about functionality and the things WP does well.
    Well I think you will be happy, because I don't think anything can really kill WP at this point but I also don't think anything can save it. The budget phones will keep it afloat but they will never breakthrough the high end market and gain significant market share in the US. I really do like the simplicity and stability of WP, but the sacrifice we will have to make going forward is not having the latest and greatest hardware or the newest features. I might end up buying the flagship in 6-8 months or whenever that happens, but when that gets old I'll probably have to jump ship since I won't want to keep waiting around for MS to release stuff.
    03-02-2015 04:23 PM
    BlackBerry is porting their core apps to iOS and Android, so BB10's value is reduced to a glorified app launcher which is pretty inefficient in terms of resource usage.
    Besides iTunes, Safari and some fairly nondescript apps, what native apps does Apple have? The iPhone is truly an app launcher in its purest form. At least Microsoft and BlackBerry have desirable services to port, iOS has nothing anybody could possibly want.

Your supposition that Microsoft will break the bank by abandoning WP and relying on Android borders on the ridiculous considering Microsoft makes royalties from Android/Google. That would be akin to the proverbial biting off your nose to spite your face.
    Laura Knotek and ajst222 like this.
    03-02-2015 05:04 PM
113 12345