The Windows 10 April 2018 update has arrived! Get the new Dell XPS 15, starting at $999.99
08-17-2016 11:03 AM
150 12345 ...
tools
    When you have a weird issue that has no logical answer replace the power supply.....bad ps can manifest
    strangely...
    Last edited by lupinesithlord; 06-28-2016 at 10:15 AM.
    06-28-2016 10:02 AM
    I've got 4 RAM slots, and it BSOD if there are two sticks, regardless of which of the 4 slots I use.
    06-28-2016 11:09 AM
    Actually what you say, that it crashes after shutdown but not after reboot tells me that fast startup is actually enabled, and so it crashes when it tries to get back from that partially hibernated state.
    I have fastboot and hibernate both switched off. I did that quite early on.
    06-28-2016 11:10 AM
    When you have a weird issue that has no logical answer replace the power supply.....bad ps can manifest
    strangely...
    I don't really want to spend 80 bucks on a PS on the off chance that it might fix the problem. I can't justify spending the money right now, it's better for me to run with 1 stick of RAM to stop the BSOD right now.

The big thing here is that it wasn't falling over under Windows 7, which suggests that this is software rather than hardware.
    06-28-2016 11:15 AM
    I actually did have this problem way back when I upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 8.1. No problems going from 8.1 to 10, as they have the same memory management and access methods. Windows 7 accesses memory differently than Windows 8.1 and 10.

Ran for 2 years with Windows 7 without a problem on my 2x8GB RAM. Installed 8.1, and started getting BSOD on boot. I later learned that some of my files that I copied from one storage drive to another as a backup copy were corrupted. Not all, but a few. I only discovered that by running a byte compare program as I was searching for issues and solutions.

Memtest ran for 48 hours without a single error on either module singularly or in any configuration.

However, be advised that Memtest does not find every type of memory error. If it does find an error, be assured you have a faulty module, but be advised, it tests them one at a time, so when you have a problem that only appears with both modules, it may not find it.

Windows Memory Diagnostics, however, did find problems with the RAM.

You'll find that memory modules need to be properly paired, and sometimes places that build computers for you are not as diligent as they should be on making sure of that, and they may install modules that won't necessarily be meant for each other. Just because they were installed together by the builder doesn't mean the manufacturer of the RAM certified those two modules to actually be used together. They may have taken 2 singles to put in your machine because they were out of "pairs" that day.

Windows 10 will sometimes place the data "interleaved" between the 2 modules to speed up loading, whereas Windows 7 didn't really do that so much.

Windows 10 comes with it's own memory diagnostic that you need to run. Start Cortana and do a search for Windows Memory Diagnostic. It's a Desktop App, and you'll have to do a restart to run it, as it, like Memtest, needs to run while the OS is shut down. Run it with both sticks installed.

Let us know the results of that test, please.

FYI, I called Corsair, gave them the results of the test, and they sent me new memory right away (both sticks) and sent me a shipping label to return the old sticks after receiving the new. Didn't cost me a dime with their lifetime warranty.
    06-28-2016 11:57 AM
    I actually did have this problem way back when I upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 8.1.
    How did you fix the problem?

My PC is a Chilblast, and they are one of the best companies. They make high spec gaming PCs and do custom optimizations on their top end rigs so they have to be on the ball about RAM.

I've tried moving the RAM to different slot combinations. BSOD with all of them.

I'll run the Windows Memory diagnostic. Though I think that I've already done that a while back.
    06-28-2016 12:09 PM
    Windows 10 comes with it's own memory diagnostic that you need to run. Start Cortana and do a search for Windows Memory Diagnostic. It's a Desktop App, and you'll have to do a restart to run it, as it, like Memtest, needs to run while the OS is shut down. Run it with both sticks installed.

Let us know the results of that test, please.
    No errors with the Windows Memory Diagnostic, but I am getting the following error in the Event Manager

The maximum file size for session "ReadyBoot" has been reached. As a result, events might be lost (not logged) to file "C:\Windows\Prefetch\ReadyBoot\ReadyBoot.etl". The maximum files size is currently set to 134217728 bytes.
    06-28-2016 12:21 PM
    That's the fun of problems with the power supply, it can manifest in whatever way possible.

An extra module would bring in extra load(although not much), and if the connector cannot give enough voltage then that could give problems.

If possible, you could try different memory modules or a different power supply, see if that solves the issue
    I don't actually have access to either right now, and I'm loathed to make a speculative purchase that might not solve the problem.

Given that this ONLY happens on boot, I really doubt that ti is a PSU. I previously set the RAM voltage to Automatic, wouldn't this mean that the motherboard would clock down the RAM and it would just run slowly?

Also, I'm getting perfect performance while gaming, and while doing intensive activity in Windows.

It's a 750W PSU which I brought with future expansion in mind, I should be able to run two gaming graphics cards off of it and run them at 4K. It shouldn't break a sweat with my current setup. If it was broken badly enough that its output dropped below my needs with my current setup then it would probably make my PC unstable all the time.

There is also the whole business with it only BSOD after a clean shutdown. If it were the PSU wouldn't it fall over after a dirty shutdown own as well, or while gaming?
    a5cent likes this.
    06-28-2016 01:36 PM
    Are the two RAM sticks the same make and model? If one stick is faster than the other then you should expect blue screens under load.

If they are the same, download the IntelBurnTest utility and run it on each stick to see if you are in fact stable. Also look for bulging capacitors on the motherboard.

I've seen start up issues like this remedied by updating the firmware on the SSD.

Trying a different power supply is a good idea.
    06-28-2016 02:06 PM
    So, what's the situation after getting rid of the pagefile?
    06-28-2016 03:56 PM
    How did you fix the problem?
    It was in the last paragraph of my post.
    FYI, I called Corsair, gave them the results of the test, and they sent me new memory right away (both sticks) and sent me a shipping label to return the old sticks after receiving the new. Didn't cost me a dime with their lifetime warranty.
    No errors with the Windows Memory Diagnostic, but I am getting the following error in the Event Manager

The maximum file size for session "ReadyBoot" has been reached. As a result, events might be lost (not logged) to file "C:\Windows\Prefetch\ReadyBoot\ReadyBoot.etl". The maximum files size is currently set to 134217728 bytes.
    That ReadyBoot error may be your problem. No guarantees.

ReadyBoot.etl is a log that tracks all file activity at boot time.

Since all file activities done at boot time (even system updates and spyware scans) accumulate in this file, it may fill with obsolete information. The fix is to set the ReadyBoot.etl into Circular logging mode, so that only the most recent file access activity is tracked.

To do so:
    a. Right click start, then click control panel
    b. Click administrative tools, performance monitor
    c. Expand left side tree entry for Data Collection Sets
    d. Highlight Startup Event Trace Sessions
    e. Open the ReadyBoot line (click it)
    f. Select the File tab
    g. Select the circular option
    h. Click Apply and OK and restart the computer.

There have been reports of BSOD that have been traced back to this file, but it does not mean it is your issue specifically. This is certainly an easier fix than buying a new computer, and won't hurt anything whatsoever.

Let us know how it works out.
    a5cent likes this.
    06-28-2016 06:35 PM
    While a faulty PSU could cause your issue I would expect other issues as appear as well. What could be the most likely culprit other than the BIOS is a faulty DIMM Module. Determine which of the two causes the BSOD and replace, if after that the system runs as normal then you have found the cause, if not and the SSD Driver and other issues have been ruled out then I would suggest a faulty Mobo.

I know this system is likely to be new but this does not mean an issue wouldn't present itself either way. Hopefully you have it resolved soon.

After reading more of your previous posts where you state that you had been doing something internally, it is possible you may cause the issue with a static charge this is turn could cause the issue to affect one of the two DIMM Modules, although you may have been careful and deem this unlikely, it is plausible, especially if you don't take measurements to avoid this such as antistatic bands.

MS deems PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA to be -

"Bug check 0x50 can occur after the installation of faulty hardware or in the event of failure of installed hardware (usually related to defective RAM, be it main memory, L2 RAM cache, or video RAM).
    Another possible cause is the installation of a faulty system service or faulty driver code.
    Antivirus software can also trigger this error, as can a corrupted NTFS volume."

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/lib...or=-2147217396

The reference to ReadyBoost is a driver/configuration issue and has plagued many
    Last edited by Robbie_Jardine; 06-28-2016 at 07:39 PM.
    06-28-2016 07:14 PM
    So, what's the situation after getting rid of the pagefile?
    Same BSOD, same place, no change.
    06-29-2016 02:45 AM
    That ReadyBoot error may be your problem. No guarantees.

ReadyBoot.etl is a log that tracks all file activity at boot time.

Since all file activities done at boot time (even system updates and spyware scans) accumulate in this file, it may fill with obsolete information. The fix is to set the ReadyBoot.etl into Circular logging mode, so that only the most recent file access activity is tracked.

To do so:
    a. Right click start, then click control panel
    b. Click administrative tools, performance monitor
    c. Expand left side tree entry for Data Collection Sets
    d. Highlight Startup Event Trace Sessions
    e. Open the ReadyBoot line (click it)
    f. Select the File tab
    g. Select the circular option
    h. Click Apply and OK and restart the computer.

There have been reports of BSOD that have been traced back to this file, but it does not mean it is your issue specifically. This is certainly an easier fix than buying a new computer, and won't hurt anything whatsoever.

Let us know how it works out.
    I've set this as requested, I will see if it fixes the problem.
    06-29-2016 02:49 AM
    While a faulty PSU could cause your issue I would expect other issues as appear as well. What could be the most likely culprit other than the BIOS is a faulty DIMM Module. Determine which of the two causes the BSOD and replace, if after that the system runs as normal then you have found the cause, if not and the SSD Driver and other issues have been ruled out then I would suggest a faulty Mobo.

I know this system is likely to be new but this does not mean an issue wouldn't present itself either way. Hopefully you have it resolved soon.

After reading more of your previous posts where you state that you had been doing something internally, it is possible you may cause the issue with a static charge this is turn could cause the issue to affect one of the two DIMM Modules, although you may have been careful and deem this unlikely, it is plausible, especially if you don't take measurements to avoid this such as antistatic bands.

MS deems PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA to be -

"Bug check 0x50 can occur after the installation of faulty hardware or in the event of failure of installed hardware (usually related to defective RAM, be it main memory, L2 RAM cache, or video RAM).
    Another possible cause is the installation of a faulty system service or faulty driver code.
    Antivirus software can also trigger this error, as can a corrupted NTFS volume."

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/lib...or=-2147217396

The reference to ReadyBoost is a driver/configuration issue and has plagued many
    I didn't start having the problem until I upgraded to Windows 10. Which was before I started opening the case and touching the components. So I don't think that static damage is a likely cause. It's also not my Anti-Virus as when I did the clean install I had a BSOD before I reinstalled it. The SSD isn't a likely cause as that was installed after the problem.

Could it be a setting on my motherboard, most things are currently set to Automatic.
    06-29-2016 02:54 AM
    Are the two RAM sticks the same make and model? If one stick is faster than the other then you should expect blue screens under load.

If they are the same, download the IntelBurnTest utility and run it on each stick to see if you are in fact stable. Also look for bulging capacitors on the motherboard.

I've seen start up issues like this remedied by updating the firmware on the SSD.

Trying a different power supply is a good idea.
    The RAM sticks came with the machine, they are the same make and model, and they both ran OK under Windows 7. I only have the problem is both are installed (Regardless of which sockets they are in).

I was under the impression that modern motherboards were designed to cope with different models of RAM. Most of the companies state that if you put a fast and a slow stick in together then the fast stick will be clocked down to match the slow one and your system will remain stable.

I'll look into the software that you suggested.
    06-29-2016 02:56 AM
    If they are the same, download the IntelBurnTest utility and run it on each stick to see if you are in fact stable.
    I ran IntelBurnTest on its maximum settings and it didn't find any problems.
    06-29-2016 05:13 AM
    I didn't start having the problem until I upgraded to Windows 10. Which was before I started opening the case and touching the components. So I don't think that static damage is a likely cause. It's also not my Anti-Virus as when I did the clean install I had a BSOD before I reinstalled it. The SSD isn't a likely cause as that was installed after the problem.

Could it be a setting on my motherboard, most things are currently set to Automatic.
    Default your mobo bios settings to see if this helps
    06-29-2016 06:12 AM
    Do you HAVE to have Win 10? Why not just revert back to 7 and call it a failed experiment?
    06-29-2016 10:04 AM
    I have Windows 10 across most of my devices now, including my phone.

I've gotten used to having everything syncing. Going back to Windows 7 would mean that I'd need to maintain 2 diaries because the calendar software that I use doesn't sync between Windows 7 and Windows 10. Neither does my address book.

beside, it would be like quitting, and I don't want my friends with Macs to get all snooty about how much better Apple is because they can do all of the things that I want to do across my devices.

Let's call this one a matter of pride.

I'd also have to reinstall everything again on Windows 7, which would be a huge pain.
    v535 likes this.
    06-29-2016 10:14 AM
    Are you in the Insiders Preview program? If not, maybe you should try joining and upgrading Windows 10 to get the latest.
    06-29-2016 01:58 PM
    Are you in the Insiders Preview program? If not, maybe you should try joining and upgrading Windows 10 to get the latest.
    Let's fix the problems he already has with Windows 10 before subjecting him to a beta OS.
    06-29-2016 06:04 PM
    I think the idea is that the beta OS has that problem already solved (it doesn't mean it doesn't have other problems).

It seems like a good plan to me.
    06-29-2016 06:32 PM
    I had a different error message this today.

IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

The log files are useless as usual.

The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly.

I'm also getting "Crash dump initialization failed!"

and

"Audit events have been dropped by the transport. 0"

The main change that I made was I took the RAM out to clean the slots again and when I put them back I put them in adjacent slots, rather than the matching slots to check again if it was a slot causing the problem.
    06-30-2016 02:24 AM
    I think that either the os is corrupt or u have a faulty mobo or the latter has caused the former. Try and reinstall the OS, I know ur hesitant about doing this but if the issues are still present after doing this then it's the board itself.
    06-30-2016 03:23 AM
150 12345 ...