Operation #MobileEquality: Let's Convince Companies to Bring Apps to Windows Phone

sueha

May 31, 2012
Visit site
Funny thing that some here are calling social networks bull****. I mean, this thread is about saving an app for a social network lol :D I am confused :D

coip

May 21, 2013
Visit site
Funny thing that some here are calling social networks bull****. I mean, this thread is about saving an app for a social network lol :D I am confused :D

Indeed. And nevermind that posting comments on a forum like WPCentral isn't all that different from posting things to Twitter. I don't get the hate for social networks like Facebook and Twitter. Sure, people post some pretty stupid stuff on there, but at their core, both services are extremely useful and it's up to you how you want to use them. I've been a Facebook user since it started rippling out in early 2004, but I avoided Twitter until about a half a year ago because I thought it was stupid. Now, I love it.

anon(123856)

Feb 9, 2013
Visit site
You're not confused, It's called irony. I didn't say that they are bull****. I said I think they are dumb and don't want any part of them. Some of us don't need/want our face in a phone 24/7. I don't want a 1000 "friends" I've never met. If you or others want to participate in them, go right ahead. It won't bother me a bit.

anon(123856)

Feb 9, 2013
Visit site
Indeed. And nevermind that posting comments on a forum like WPCentral isn't all that different from posting things to Twitter. I don't get the hate for social networks like Facebook and Twitter. Sure, people post some pretty stupid stuff on there, but at their core, both services are extremely useful and it's up to you how you want to use them. I've been a Facebook user since it started rippling out in early 2004, but I avoided Twitter until about a half a year ago because I thought it was stupid. Now, I love it.
Again, I think you guys are going overboard. Feel free to social network away. It was you that brought up Twitter again after I said I'd take a pass. I don't hate them, I'm opting out. I don't see any need for me to participate in them and to compare a forum to Twitter is a bit odd. Here you have the ability to express yourself clearly without truncating a thought to 140 characters. Most your posts in this thread as well as mine would have never made it on Twitter. I think we've beaten this thing to death so I'm out of this thread. I do appreciate the fact that we could express our opinions and keep it civil. Thank you for that.

Last edited:

boovish

Jul 27, 2012
Visit site
a few months ago we organized an online social movement (the #savexboxwp movement, described here) to encourage the development of xbox games on windows phone. The movement has had a lot of success on twitter, garnering replies from microsoft studios, ubisoft, and others.

In light of tinder recently forcing microsoft to remove rudy huyn's excellent 6tindr 3rd-party substitute from the store, i think it's a good idea to start a similar, but more general, movement to encourage companies that don't currently have official apps on windows phone to support the platform. In the past, other users and i have used the #mobileequality hashtag to call out companies like grindr and geico to port their ios and android apps over to windows phone. Using this hashtag enables us to keep track of the tweets of other wpcentral activists, regardless of what company they are calling out, and re-tweet them in support.

Wpcentral has recently given a lot of attention to the 'app problem' as well. Feel free to post below the twitter handles of companies you want to call out, and then feel free to search twitter for #mobileequality to re-tweet your comrades' tweets too.

You can click this link to search directly for other #mobileequality tweets.

no one will take us seriously if there is a hashtag in the name

coip

May 21, 2013
Visit site
no one will take us seriously if there is a hashtag in the name

I've studied contemporary social movements. No one will take you seriously if you don't have a hashtag in the name. Hashtags aren't some cute, pointless fad; they're a feature that enables other people to track and participate in the movement. Hashtags are absolutely necessary for any online social movement to take off. With them, it's collective action. Without them, it's not.

Jordan Mills

Sep 30, 2013
Visit site
I've studied contemporary social movements. No one will take you seriously if you don't have a hashtag in the name. Hashtags aren't some cute, pointless fad; they're a feature that enables other people to track and participate in the movement. Hashtags are absolutely necessary for any online social movement to take off. With them, it's collective action. Without them, it's not.
Lol no.

maclancer

Dec 29, 2013
Visit site
The only company that we need to convince to make apps for WP is google. Other than that, we mostly have almost the most important apps.

WPus3r

Jan 19, 2014
Visit site
The only company that we need to convince to make apps for WP is google. Other than that, we mostly have almost the most important apps.

Really?Yep,we do have some of the big name apps,many more than the native big name apps in the Blackberry world, but most of the ones we have are in BETA or in their barebones form which last got updated months back.There are also a ton of them that people miss.The 2000+ comments in the WPC article about the apps we miss is a testament to the fact. Why try to make ourselves believe what MSFT/WP fanboys say?"The apps you need are there"Its simply wrong.
WP 8.1 need to be a solid release with a lot of new/better APIs .I do feel it will and the apps will come once the platform genuinely takes off. I know a lot of people who have switched back to iOS simply because the apps aren`t there.This operation may help but the app developers are mostly small teams.who will not invest unless they get a return for their effort which will not happen until the platform really grows.
Being optimistic again,all the best guys,not a huge twitter user but will try to support you people :)

greedypnguin

May 11, 2013
Visit site

You heard the man! #Yolo them and they will take us seriously

coip

May 21, 2013
Visit site

You laugh? Look at this, a tweet to Rudy Huyn directly from Sean Rad, CEO and Founder of Tinder, telling Rudy that he appreciates his hard work and would like to talk. Only took three days and a few hundred posts on Twitter and the CEO of a company responds--on Twitter. Think that would've happened without the blowup on Twitter from angry WP customers? Think it would've happened had they emailed in, telephoned in, or wrote letters? It wouldn't have. Here is an article crediting the online movement on Twitter with getting Tinder's attention. And there goes the boom.

greedypnguin

May 11, 2013
Visit site
You laugh? Look at this, a tweet to Rudy Huyn directly from Sean Rad, CEO and Founder of Tinder, telling Rudy that he appreciates his hard work and would like to talk. Only took three days and a few hundred posts on Twitter and the CEO of a company responds--on Twitter. Think that would've happened without the blowup on Twitter from angry WP customers? Think it would've happened had they emailed in, telephoned in, or wrote letters? It wouldn't have. Here is an article crediting the online movement on Twitter with getting Tinder's attention. And there goes the boom.
Lol no.

coip

May 21, 2013
Visit site
Lol no!!!

To all you doubters, Tinder is now working with Rudy Huyn to make an official Tinder app. None of this would've happened were it not for the large number of people on Twitter calling out Tinder executives, to which #MobileEquality greatly contributed. You're welcome, Windows Phone. Now, re-direct the attacks to other companies snubbing us!

Jas00555

Retired Ambassador
Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
I think it would be better if we all blasted one company at a time with this hash tag. I just think that 100 people tweeting 1 is more effective than 100 tweeting 100 account since I double all 100 people will tweet all 100 companies. I think focusing on one company at a time would be the best strategy.

coip

May 21, 2013
Visit site
I think it would be better if we all blasted one company at a time with this hash tag. I just think that 100 people tweeting 1 is more effective than 100 tweeting 100 account since I double all 100 people will tweet all 100 companies. I think focusing on one company at a time would be the best strategy.

I agree 100%. 100+ tweets at one time to one company is much more effective than 1 tweet to 100 different companies. Perhaps we can start identifying the biggest holes in the WP app lineup, from this thread, and start organizing the attack in this thread.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon