12-17-2015 09:30 PM
142 12345 ...
tools
    Wow you think social programs are excessive in America? LOL

Verizon most definitely won't kill WM but it won't help much either. I don't see windows gaining any more market share either. In fact I would hazard a guess its market share will stagnate at best if not even drop a bit. I'm upset over the deal but I can tell you I tried the protest route and noticed that posts on Verizon boards rarely had more than 50 people posting.

However I think the Verizon issue as much MS issue as a Verizon issue. The Icon got little support form either (I know I had one)

I think the most successful phones will have both manufacturer and carrier support. Obviously MS thinks it doesn't need carrier support. People are focused on Verizon but what about Sprint, T-mobile and anybody besides AT&T?

Nexus has had very negligible market share with only unlocked phones. It just makes phone even more of a niche phone IMO.

I've left the WP market for now, purchasing a Note 5 since I had done apple prior to WP and saw nothing new there. I have too much money tied up into other family phones that switching was cost prohibitive and senseless. I did pay down 50% of this phone up front though and I will return if MS makes a better offer of wanting my business and not expecting it.
    HA ha. I was making a joke about the hipsters that sit in coffee shops and dress and look dishevelled because they are "expressing themselves". They really do look homeless. There are a group of hipsters that the guys wear fluffy floppy scarves, skinny jeans and greased back hair, then there are the homeless'sters. This category of hipster dresses from the dumpster at the local thrift store, finding the dirtiest, most disgusting clothes. They do not shower or wash their hair for weeks and typically look homeless besides the fact they are sipping on a fippymochajokasteamylattefrapachino style abomination, and typing their latest book or screen play on their crappy apple products.

I actually saw a couple of people put money in their coffee cups.
    10-22-2015 11:57 AM
    Paul...I just spent 5 Days with a Note 5 and will be posting a forum post or a freelance article on a tech site about my experiences with it as a Windows Phone fan and "all in" with Microsoft Ecosystem. In a quick summary, the Note 5 felt like a real PC in my pocket and feels more useful but I still prefer to be all in with Microsoft and love the elegance of Windows Phone. Today, I am back on my ICON...which phone I have this weekend remains to be seen. (side note...CORTANA works way better than expected on the Note 5)
    I think you will be very happy with the 950xl by the sounds of it.
    10-22-2015 11:59 AM
    Except, those Verizon numbers are dwarfed when looking at the Asian market.
    Windows phone's performance in Asian markets has fared even worse than the U.S.
    In China alone, Windows phone devices shrank from 2%-3%, down to less than half of 1%.
    In Japan, it's non-existent, and from what I understand the numbers are going the wrong way in India as well.

Without Asia or North America, I doubt Windows phones can maintain a beachhead in.....Italy and Romania.
    10-22-2015 12:21 PM
    HA ha. I was making a joke about the hipsters that sit in coffee shops and dress and look dishevelled because they are "expressing themselves". They really do look homeless. There are a group of hipsters that the guys wear fluffy floppy scarves, skinny jeans and greased back hair, then there are the homeless'sters. This category of hipster dresses from the dumpster at the local thrift store, finding the dirtiest, most disgusting clothes. They do not shower or wash their hair for weeks and typically look homeless besides the fact they are sipping on a fippymochajokasteamylattefrapachino style abomination, and typing their latest book or screen play on their crappy apple products.

I actually saw a couple of people put money in their coffee cups.
    I'm wondering, do your glasses go askew when you look down your nose at people?
    10-22-2015 12:24 PM
    Paul...I just spent 5 Days with a Note 5 and will be posting a forum post or a freelance article on a tech site about my experiences with it as a Windows Phone fan and "all in" with Microsoft Ecosystem. In a quick summary, the Note 5 felt like a real PC in my pocket and feels more useful but I still prefer to be all in with Microsoft and love the elegance of Windows Phone. Today, I am back on my ICON...which phone I have this weekend remains to be seen. (side note...CORTANA works way better than expected on the Note 5)
    I don't want to dis MS but I was running WM TP 10 on my Icon and going to the Note is like night and day. No more loading screens super fast. I love the phone and it's a great piece of hardware but I'd go back to MS. I still have my MS band which works well on the note. Also my surface Pro 3 and Xbox so I'm not abandoning MS. Just the mobile platform for now.
    10-22-2015 02:21 PM
    People don't get that although in absolute numbers Verizon's market share might not matter on a global scale, those numbers do mater when it comes to image. Lie it or not but most app developers are in the US, the only that matters for them is the perception they have of the market. And most don't care about market share in Europe or Asia, heck most phone apps don't even function outside of America. To have lived in both Europe and America in the pat years, I can tell you, the app market is just not the same outside of the US. The ubiquity of credit cards and spending money makes Americans far more interesting to developers than any other people. Plus, most tech news outlets (influential ones at least) are Americans. And call us short-sighted (because we are) and self-centered (because we are), fact is we don't really care what happens outside of the country. Tech journalist have the same attitude and its reflected by their work.
    For devs to be interested in a phone OS, unless they're a local company, the OS needs to be successful in the US. An getting Verizon support is a big part of that.
    jmagwp, dkediger and Cyril Richard like this.
    10-22-2015 03:56 PM
    For devs to be interested in a phone OS, unless they're a local company, the OS needs to be successful in the US. An getting Verizon support is a big part of that.
    Agree with this 100%. I really think MS screwed up big time here. There's no set list of phones running WM10, there's no release date even for the 950/950xl, and no Verizon support. MS should have just held off announcing anything until they could come in "guns blazing" and announce products supporting all the major carriers. They didn't. Unfortunately, my work phone is a 928 on Verizon and is dying so I need to replace it. With basically no positive information about Windows on Verizon, I'm jumping ship and getting an iPhone. Sad to do so, but like the original post here, I think the writing is on the wall. Maybe in a couple of years when my new phone is dying I'll get to come back. I hope so, but I doubt it.
    10-22-2015 05:38 PM
    I'd like to point to a few people that Verizon has NEVER supported WM 10. Those of us that ran it ran a tech preview. It's never been a Verizon feature and took forever to get 8.1.
    10-22-2015 06:29 PM
    The nexus 5x and 6p phones aren't certified for Verizon as long as you have an activated nano SIM it will work on Verizon if you need to get a Sims then you have trouble getting one from Verizon so why doesn't ms sell the phone with all bands
    10-22-2015 08:09 PM
    I think you will be very happy with the 950xl by the sounds of it.
    I would be if I could get one...

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android
    10-22-2015 09:35 PM
    I don't want to dis MS but I was running WM TP 10 on my Icon and going to the Note is like night and day. No more loading screens super fast. I love the phone and it's a great piece of hardware but I'd go back to MS. I still have my MS band which works well on the note. Also my surface Pro 3 and Xbox so I'm not abandoning MS. Just the mobile platform for now.
    Same here...Note 5, for now, on mobile Platform. I'd go back right away to WP of things improve and we get a new flagship.

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android
    10-22-2015 09:45 PM
    Well, I'm disappointed in this. I bought the 735 in July, and LOVE it, LOVE it, LOVE it. That VZ is not going to support Windows phones (assuming the worst) is incredulous!!! I really don't care who's fault it is. It appears VZ is cold shouldering MSFT, so MSFT needs to do some damage control (aka, open the wallet). MSFT hasn't really done anything to see that our stupid providers in the USA are compensated or educated. Then they apparently haven't done much to attract developers. So from that aspect, I can see why VZ is not wanting to invest - but if that's the case, they should allow unlocked IMO.

I doubt I'll leave VZ immediately, as I will give an opportunity to see if VZ will come on board. Let's hope T-Mob gets in too.

Unfortunately, and not to sound like an arrogant American, the US market is for sure a driver and can quite possibly make or break MSFT's plans. Too many people I know, including to some extent myself, remember the bad days of AT&T (and Cingular) and will have to be really convinced to go them. Cutting out that much market share in a market where people buy phones yearly (or less) is not a good market strategy.

Do I have the answer, no; but I do know it's not "we won't play with VZ" if that indeed is the case.
    Kevin Rush likes this.
    10-22-2015 11:37 PM
    Can't switch providers...company pays for my phones. I've recommended WP to coworkers, but without any good news, I can't anymore. Also, with stagnating market share and not getting MORE customers (who gives a **** about how this affects VZ, this hurts MS regardless) the devs will continue to retreat as well (ahem...Mint). I'm sure a few people will buy the 950/XL with AT&T, but I can guarantee you it won't make a dent in market share if budget phones are what sell for MS anyways. I've never been the negative nancy for WP, but the latest news is really grim for the platform. Less apps, less phone options, less carriers... All of that equals less interest. Doesn't matter what country you're in. I'd love for it to turn around as I'm one of the "all in" users grasping for a sign of better days ahead, but MS hasn't really shown anything to keep me optimistic. Hell, making an announcement for phones with an incomplete OS is some Kickstarter worthy ****...not something I'd expect MS to do. Till I hear some good news I guess my only option is to #wait
    Kevin Rush and dkediger like this.
    10-22-2015 11:51 PM
    I don't think Verizon's saltiness will affect Window 10's chances at success. That remains firmly in the realm of perceived app gaps and premium devices. I can see more and more phone makers getting tired of Verizon's BS, and sooner or later they'll stop catering with carrier specific devices. At which point Verizon will have cave in, or start losing sales. Or not. Got burned with my Lumia 810, and I plan to never repeat that mistake again.
    10-22-2015 11:51 PM
    Hell, making an announcement for phones with an incomplete OS is some Kickstarter worthy ****...not something I'd expect MS to do. Till I hear some good news I guess my only option is to #wait
    You've obviously never been involved in a software development project. They know they will have a product that can ship in November based on the huge amount of data they have and a historical reference on how long it will take to solve the existing bugs. Will it still ship with some bugs? Yes, just like every other platform out there. Or have you not read about Apple's "Kickstarter worthy ****" IOS that just had a large number of early bugs fixed?
    libra89, cmucodemonkey and neo158 like this.
    10-23-2015 12:41 AM
    With that kind of messages Without Verizon support, is WM10 DOA? You are damaging more the image of Lumia than Verizon does with not supporting W10M phones. People who are interested in buying such a phone are searching the internet nowadays. So when they read this kind of rubbish (sorry have no other words for this) they abandon already. They think that they will buy a phone that will be discontinued and they walk away.
    I also think that the US phone market is sick, very sick. It should not be the mobile operators that have to deside which phones people should buy!
    badcat, neo158 and Kevin Rush like this.
    10-23-2015 02:32 AM
    First off - there IS a world outside the US. It's a world where Windows Phone actually does better than the US which is still pretty much iPhone oriented. So, no, not DOA.

More than that - the system used by Verizon is horribly antiquated and unused pretty much everywhere else on the planet, which uses GSM (ie: AT&T and T-Mobile). So again, no loss.

Finally, every in the world outside of the US (and Canada since we're dragged along by you guys) you don't buy your phones from the carriers. You buy them from whomever you want at honestly competitive prices and you get a much wider range of choices besides iPhone, Samsung ... maybe a few LG phones and Moto phones for the oddballs.

You may not realise it, but when it comes to cell phones, US customers actually only get a tiny subset of what the rest of the world gets - mainly because for most cell phone OEMs, it's just not worth the effort to sell into the US.
    libra89, RumoredNow and neo158 like this.
    10-23-2015 03:33 AM
    How about we ask how Blackberry is still in the game? They in way worst shape than Windows right now!
    Kevin Rush likes this.
    10-23-2015 03:35 AM
    Name one mobile OS that doesn't have a US user base. Your comment is pointless since there are no examples of either of your sets.

And you're kind of missing is point: Asia is a market. But if you prefer, let's break it down: south Asia (ie: India) 1.3 billion people, and east Asia (ie: China) 1.4 billion. While we're at it: population of Europe (ie EU common market) 508 million - technically, this is 29 countries - but they have an integrated economic market and anyone in any EU country can buy products in any other one freely... so it's essentially one big country from the perspective of purchasing. There are LOTs of places to sell Windows Phones besides the US.

Sidenote: your real question should have been: name one phone line that's successful without being sold in the US - and that one, I could list tons of examples.
    10-23-2015 03:40 AM
    OK guys - you are confusing the issue. For the record, I was a huge Symbian fan, and have lived in several countries and do not have a particularly restricted world view. Generally, we cannot expect software companies to fail at home, nor on half the earth, and yet continue to operate. Nokia was successful in Europe. Apple is more successful in the US. But, whatever, go ahead an argue. When Microsoft has 45% of market share in any major market (whether a large country or continent), then we can start debating about huge here and not there. Yes - with VZW not supporting Microsoft, and AT&T not really going to either, WP is in very big trouble. Other facts - 1) Microsoft keeps on reducing their phone workforce, 2) They have had control for a while and have done nothing significant with the Lumias (just ask Dan), 3) There is no compelling reason for anyone to switch to Windows Phone besides the OS, and I seem to be the only one that I know that feels that way.
    10-23-2015 08:03 AM
    Forgive me if I am wrong but the cdma and gsm points are mute due to LTE being a totally different modulation method anyway right?! So if The cdma is not supported it doesn't matter as long as the let is right?
    10-23-2015 08:52 AM
    So switch to AT&T. Tell Verizon you are leaving because they won't support WP 10 and the new 950/XL.
    I have seen 50 post on this site saying they would leave Verizon to get the 950 / 950 XL.
    Vote with your wallet and stop giving Verizon money.
    AMEN... I love my Lumia 830 on AT&T with the latest Windows 10 Insider ... I am definitely getting a 950 from AT&T or direct... havent decided witch way is better ..yet..
    Kevin Rush likes this.
    10-23-2015 09:21 AM
    The nexus 5x and 6p phones aren't certified for Verizon as long as you have an activated nano SIM it will work on Verizon if you need to get a Sims then you have trouble getting one from Verizon so why doesn't ms sell the phone with all bands
    Punctuation please.
    10-23-2015 09:53 AM
    That is a bit strong in my opinion, but I do agree that it is frustrating to be a Verizon customer with a Windows Phone today. I'm planning to hold on to my Lumia 735 for a while and wait to see how this situation shakes out.

However I don't think everybody that wants a Windows Phone will have to switch to AT&T. The 950 and 950XL are exclusive to AT&T right now, but that doesn't mean they couldn't also go to other carriers like T-Mobile or Sprint in the future. And honestly I think the app problem is not a lack of independent developers writing apps for the platform, but rather companies that don't feel the platform is worth developing apps for (i.e. banks, mobile payments, etc).
    10-23-2015 10:01 AM
    Forgive me if I am wrong but the cdma and gsm points are mute due to LTE being a totally different modulation method anyway right?! So if The cdma is not supported it doesn't matter as long as the let is right?
    In theory yes. The problem is Verizon could refuse to authorize the new Lumia phones on their network, in which case the technology inside the phones is totally irrelevant.
    10-23-2015 10:02 AM
142 12345 ...