List here what you DO NOT like on 8.1.

jwinch2

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
The biggest single complaint I've seen is the FB integration. Ok, and yet, when you go to comment or like something from the People hub, the new FB app opens INSTANTLY. It's ridiculously smooth and fast even on my old L920, let alone my L1520.

The FB integration thing is a legit complaint in my view. I personally didn't use the feature much to post or make comments from the hub, but I agree that it should have been left intact. The fact that you can still do this from twitter suggests to me that it might be a FB issue, and not a MS one.

microSkop

Feb 14, 2014
Visit site
The FB integration thing is a legit complaint in my view. I personally didn't use the feature much to post or make comments from the hub, but I agree that it should have been left intact. The fact that you can still do this from twitter suggests to me that it might be a FB issue, and not a MS one.

It's not an issue ffs, the app itself will integrate into the People Hub!

Nimdock

Aug 10, 2011
Visit site
I'm glad they got rid of the sound. Now I can go to bed if my wife is already sleeping and put my phone on the charger without having to worry about waking her, or my having to turn the sound off and then turn it on again when it is on the charger so that I can hear my alarm in the morning.

They didn't get rid of the sound. Just changed it.

jwinch2

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
So, I'm sincerely disappointed. Have tried Cortana, it's nice, but not willing to sacrifice keyboard functionality in order to have it at present.

Other than that, I like the tile background and I think I'll get used to the swipe keyboard, but while they give with one hand they take away massively with the other.

1. Facebook and Twitter integration. They aren't any more. I used to post to both simultaneously with my live tile... No longer available.

2. Calendar list view. Sure, add week view, but why remove the other view?! I not have to add a tap to edit my next appointment (which I do frequently), and if I have more than three items today I cant see them till I tap.

3. Notifications. I need to change the order for this to be useful. Having email at the top means everything is way down the bottom in the morning after i receive a ton of mails, making it impractical at best. I want emails in there, but at the bottom. Native twitter would be good again too...

4. Birthdays' from Facebook. Thanks for the wake up at midnight last night. Oh wait. No, thanks for nothing. Why would I need to be notified AT MIDNIGHT no less of a passive event. Let me turn the notifications off for this but still see it in the calendar (list view). If is have 2 birthdays then I cant see any other calendar appointments. See point 2.

5. Games. Why in my main list?? No more game notifications on home screen (yes, it was buggy at best, but fix it, don't remove it)

6. Calendar - no longer can choose a default post time - defaults to All day which is not useful.

7. Calendar - no longer can see which calendar as default. I post to multiple calendars so would really like to see which I'm posting to!

8. Cursor selection just does not work. It's now awful.

You bring up some fair points, but I can't help but wonder what Cortana has to do with your keyboard function. In addition, if you set up quiet hours then your wish to be left alone at midnight will be granted.

Beckie Evans

Apr 15, 2014
Visit site
I'm having a very good experience with 8.1 on my Lumia 625. A lot of the bugs and gripes other people have mentioned, I've mercifully not had. There's been a lot of hate for Xbox Music, but I always used Nokia MixRadio anyway. I've had to set my phone region and language to US (I'm in the UK) to be able to use Cortana, but that works great--no problems with the store. I haven't noticed too much of a battery drain, and I haven't experienced any lag. The calendar app was not missing as some have said. I only ever have 1 or 2 games installed, so I'm not at all outraged by having the games showing up in the main apps list, though I can see what some people would hate that. There are one or two little niggles which I have, which are just that--niggles.

1) Cortana gives me temperature in Celsius instead of Fahrenheit, unless I specifically ask for it, but she doesn't know I'm British and would prefer not to subtract 32, multiply by 5, then divide by 9 every time I want to know what the temperature is. So, I can forgive her for this. She also only gives me US news, obviously for the same reason. However, it would be nice to be able to choose from several news sources here.
2) The photos hub is much less pretty than it used to be. It was gorgeous in 8.0. It's really rather bland and uninspiring in 8.1.
3) The fact that facebook integration has been moved to a separate app, and the whole sharing system is different. Sharing links doesn't work quite right, and I haven't yet been able to share to Twitter. (To be fair, I've only tried to share from Nextgen Reader, so it wasn't a comprehensive test.)
4) I wish we could have more than four toggles in the action center. I think at least 5.
5) I miss the agenda view in the stock calendar, and I think the redesign here is really not Microsoft's best aesthetic work. However, I use Cal anyway, so this is no biggie for me.
6) Unless there's a setting I haven't found, the action center doesn't group notifications from the same app, i.e. instead of giving me one notification saying I have 12 emails, it shows me all 12 emails in a long list. This is faster I suppose, and from a certain point of view, more efficient, but it's also messy.

Overall, however, I have to say I love the update.My niggles are all things I can live with, either in the long term, or until an update comes along to improve things. I was able to uninstall a handful of apps I had before because the OS now does the job that they did for me by default. The action center, tile backgrounds, the word flow keyboard are great, and the store redesign is excellent. I think the addition of Maps for non-Lumia phones which don't have Here Maps is also great, (though testing one against the other I have to say Here Maps consistently found me quicker routes.) I like that certain things have been added to the apps list, i.e. storage sense, battery saver, etc, as it makes it quicker to access these things. I understand that a lot of people are incredibly incensed by 8.1, and if they're the people experiencing bugs and lags I can understand why, but I really don't share that view.

marcx987

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
Theres a couple things i hate with 8.1 The deintegration of facebook chat from messaging is a big one.
The removal of upload to skydrive from photo.
The onedrive app has no upload mutiple files function, you have to slect each file individually.
The lack of notification in the me tab,
I dont mind the game in main app listing,

But the actual games app is now slow and buggier than anything, and instead of keeping an xml of games you have on the phone, it has to check and load each time u slide left or right, leave app, etc.

Dont get me wrong i like most of the updates but there a s few which still need to be had.
Touch seek capabilites in basic music/video playback.
would be nice to have back forward controls with any youtube apps,
Universal media storage for music/videos. so you can access vids from any app you choose, instead of downloading a video to an app that can play the format.
Example ( loading flac through usb and using flac player app. instead of having to upload to skydrive then download with the flac player app.

Soumyasish D

Jan 30, 2014
Visit site
hello can anyone confirm with the issue I'm facing with my lumia 720 ..the bluetooth icon not showing up at top while switched on.... Im not whining about the issue just want to know if anyone facing the same ... :)

anybody confirm please if its a issue or not :(

Last edited:

FinancialP

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
The action centre shows Facebook, Instagram, Twitter and every single app that sends you a notification toast. You can also customize them to make different alerts from the settings pane. However, they must FIRST send a notification about something to show up in there.

He's talking about customizing the order in which they show up in the action center.

AV2RY

Sep 14, 2013
Visit site
Can we expect sooner update? I want Onedrive back so bad. I can't even upload pictures directly from the app, it gives me an error..1 file cannot be uploaded...but when I hit more info it says...all files were successfully uploaded..

SAM 77

Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
Features have been messed with that should have been left alone.

Phone (cant send a message or edit contact from within app can only call person)
People (no longer integrated into phone see above)
I preferred the old layout of the photos hub. The new layout is a bit clunky.

There was nothing wrong with the 8.0
Phone, People, Messaging and Photos.

Hopefully they can revert back in future updates.

These arent hard things to do so I hope they concentrate on fixing these issues for us before they decide to roll out/glorify new features for 8.1

Plus if you hit bluetooth in the notifications it doesnt take you to the bluetooth settings unlike the wifi which does. (minor but it should be sorted)

Makes me wonder sometimes how testers get chosen because basic stuff like the bluetooth issue should have ben caught.

I have not done a phone reset so maybe some of these lil probs might clear up.

Soumyasish D

Jan 30, 2014
Visit site
I mean then is it a issue or its like that?..because I can see a bluetooth icon in this picture (from a post in wpcentral itself)

Attachments

• Start_background_Windows_Phone.jpg
    Start_background_Windows_Phone.jpg
    134.8 KB · Views: 8

JoaoCSM

Apr 10, 2014
Visit site
Well, the temperature being in Fahrenheit... That's why they warned us it was a beta and it was a US beta at that. We all know the temperature unit in the US is Fahrenheit.

Now, the temperature being stuck in Fahrenheit for the calendar on the other hand... I cannot come up with an excuse for that one, except that as far as I know the temperature in the calendar is managed by Cortana I think.

I have cortana enabled. Country set to US, as well as phone language and speech. But keyboard and regional settings are set to Portuguese/Portugal.

With the regional settings of Portugal I have 24h clock format, euro currency and Celsius degrees in Calendar. Cortana yes, present me the temperature in ?F by default.

Alain_A

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
Features have been messed with that should have been left alone.

Phone (cant send a message or edit contact from within app can only call person)
People (no longer integrated into phone see above)
I preferred the old layout of the photos hub. The new layout is a bit clunky.

There was nothing wrong with the 8.0
Phone, People, Messaging and Photos.

Hopefully they can revert back in future updates.

These arent hard things to do so I hope they concentrate on fixing these issues for us before they decide to roll out/glorify new features for 8.1

Plus if you hit bluetooth in the notifications it doesnt take you to the bluetooth settings unlike the wifi which does. (minor but it should be sorted)

Makes me wonder sometimes how testers get chosen because basic stuff like the bluetooth issue should have ben caught.

I have not done a phone reset so maybe some of these lil probs might clear up.

Use the people hub for that.

jasqid

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
That option is still there. There are multiple FB calendars you can check or uncheck. Attending and Invited are two separate calendars to display. Disable the Invited calendar and all is well.

How do you know if you were invited then? That was the beauty of the old FB cal... not to mention is was built in. Now it takes you to the D@mn app. The way it worked previousely was awesome. You see your invite, you reply you are not going and its gone.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
otispit