Anyone Else Just Completely Disappointed by BB10?

z33dev33l

Oct 16, 2011
Visit site
What's the 3 complete OSs? Android, iOS and? WP is far from complete. I don't even think Android and iOS are complete.

People will choose it because they are BB enthusiast. People will choose ot because they want something different. Many people are choosing WP because it's different from the usual android and IOS phones.
BB10 looks just like android, it's not something different. WP is pretty much the only something different.

jhoff80

Apr 27, 2003
Visit site
They don't need to win back anyone who left their platform. They could retain their loyal base and then pick up new smartphone users. To say it doesn't matter what fans say is a ridiculous statement.

Of course they do. Their loyal base has dwindled. They've got under 1% of the market share. Retaining what's left of their loyal base just doesn't keep them afloat. And BB10 still focuses on the enterprise. Do you really think anyone in that market isn't already a former user of older Blackberry devices? Once someone gives up on a brand, it's often extremely difficult to win them back, and from what I've seen, they just haven't done enough to do that. What new users are they going to attract? Teens who want to BBM like they used to have? No, because those kids already have iPhones and iMessage. Dumbphone users? Doubtful, because the gestures give it an extremely large learning curve.

The people still left at Crackberry at this point are all going to be getting the new Blackberry regardless of how good it is, so yes, it's great that they're excited. But in the grand scheme of things, they're a drop in the bucket.

squire777

Feb 21, 2012
Visit site
I think the BB faithful over hyped BB10 and it failed to deliver anything extraordinary. I'm mostly seeing a lot of average or meh reviews with the main point being that it's too little too late to save the company. The Z10 also doesn't look too appealing.

If the stock price keeps diving I can imagine RIM getting bought out by Lenovo or some other company.

dermotf

Jun 20, 2012
Visit site
What absolutely baffles me are the icons they used, after all this time they could hired a good graphics firm to create some really cool, unique icons. But instead they just grabbed them off the web. Look at the calendar icon, seriously, that's been around for years. They had a chance to really make it shine with some simple touches like the icons and they failed badly. It looks like an old Android phone. A lot of the hardcore BB users will buy it, but I can't see many switching from other platforms. I have also read a lot of comments from long time BB users saying they are not buying it because they have removed the features that they rely on.

1jaxstate1

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
MS didn't retain their Windows Mobile core not did they get them back.
Of course they do. Their loyal base has dwindled. They've got under 1% of the market share. Retaining what's left of their loyal base just doesn't keep them afloat. And BB10 still focuses on the enterprise. Do you really think anyone in that market isn't already a former user of older Blackberry devices? Once someone gives up on a brand, it's often extremely difficult to win them back, and from what I've seen, they just haven't done enough to do that. What new users are they going to attract? Teens who want to BBM like they used to have? No, because those kids already have iPhones and iMessage. Dumbphone users? Doubtful, because the gestures give it an extremely large learning curve.

The people still left at Crackberry at this point are all going to be getting the new Blackberry regardless of how good it is, so yes, it's great that they're excited. But in the grand scheme of things, they're a drop in the bucket.

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
Let them bask in the short lived spotlight. Let them be happy that they finally get to jump from 2007 to 2010.

View attachment 27812

I wouldn't call the hardware entirely a 2010 matter. It shares a SoC with the Lumia 920 (Qualcomm S4), it has the same resolution as the Lumia 920 (albeit on a smaller 4.2" display that likely lacks the refresh rate and touch sensitivity of the 920), and it boasts 2 GB of RAM (to the 920's single GB). I'm in no way impressed by the device, but it is not simply a 2010 release.

jhoff80

Apr 27, 2003
Visit site
MS didn't retain their Windows Mobile core not did they get them back.

And remind me how well that's working out for Microsoft again?

Moreover, Microsoft is a huge company, which has income from a ton of different departments. Blackberry just has Blackberry (hence their rebranding).

z33dev33l

Oct 16, 2011
Visit site
I wouldn't call the hardware entirely a 2010 matter. It shares a SoC with the Lumia 920 (Qualcomm S4), it has the same resolution as the Lumia 920 (albeit on a smaller 4.2" display that likely lacks the refresh rate and touch sensitivity of the 920), and it boasts 2 GB of RAM (to the 920's single GB). I'm in no way impressed by the device, but it is not simply a 2010 release.

Which, like android, means little if you're incapable of utilizing it.

tomatoes11

Sep 21, 2012
Visit site
I'm actually scared going into crackberry. There is a fanaticism there that alarms me and it's amazing how they call anyone who uses iOS as iSheep and yet overlook how completely insane they are.

Take it from an outsider that visits both sites, WPcentral is much MUCH MUCH worse than Crackberry. At least they know that they are biased, WPcentral thinks that they are partial but that is so far from the truth that it is ridiculous. For example, the camera and sensitive touch screen is still being touted as the second coming of Jesus and this is apparently a fact to WPcentralers but outsiders just don't give a crap about those features. However, in reality to outsiders, waking up the handset without pressing standby/power/home button plus the notification HUB far outweighs things like beats audio and wide front facing cameras to a lot of people, including myself.

tomatoes11

Sep 21, 2012
Visit site
Which, like android, means little if you're incapable of utilizing it.

I don't know. I would rather brag about hardware that I didn't make use of rather than running around saying I would totally beat that guy in a race if I had a Ferrari like him. I'll take the meaningless hardware over software that doesn't push the hardware at all any day myself.

Zeroplanetz

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
I had a bb storm. Yea I know. But I left bb after my contract ended and have been with windows phone since. I know its a new bb experience but I'm not willing to go back to it. I love my 920 and rt and w8 desktop. To me windows is more of the experience I want. Albeit there still are some things I wish it had or could do I am happy with the route I have chosen.

1jaxstate1

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
Not too bad. Gaining more and more market share. Slowly, but still gaining.
And remind me how well that's working out for Microsoft again?

Moreover, Microsoft is a huge company, which has income from a ton of different departments. Blackberry just has Blackberry (hence their rebranding).

spaulagain

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site
??

It has real multitasking with the ability to run 8 apps at the same time. Nothing like this reloading stuff we have to do.

What reloading?

Good WP apps use the app pause functionality. If I switch to something else and come back to an app (such as wpcentral) I'm right where I left off. No reload at all. It just paused it which helps battery life significantly.

I'd much rather have WP style "multitasking" then have 8 apps ACTUALLY running at the same time and killing my battery.

FinancialP

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
What reloading?

Good WP apps use the app pause functionality. If I switch to something else and come back to an app (such as wpcentral) I'm right where I left off. No reload at all. It just paused it which helps battery life significantly.

I'd much rather have WP style "multitasking" then have 8 apps ACTUALLY running at the same time and killing my battery.

What reloading? Seriously?

Leave an app go to the start screen and select the exact same app again. Watch it reload.

crystal_planet

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site
I don't know. I would rather brag about hardware that I didn't make use of rather than running around saying I would totally beat that guy in a race if I had a Ferrari like him. I'll take the meaningless hardware over software that doesn't push the hardware at all any day myself.

Really. Then you are in the minority. Personally, I'd rather have the performance of the engine to match the body of the vehicle. It sounds like you'd be happier putting a Ferrari engine into a front end loader.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
What reloading? Seriously?

Leave an app go to the start screen and select the exact same app again. Watch it reload.

You two aren't talking about the same thing. Paul is talking about app switching from the app switcher, while you are talking about app launching from the start screen.

I think Paul's argument would be that if you don't want to reload an app, then don't relaunch it from the start screen. Simple as that. Use the app switcher instead, as intended by the OS.

Despite that, I do think MS has completely screwed up app launching/resuming in WP8, because it isn't deterministic. What actually happens when launching/resuming isn't controlled by the OS, but rather by each individual app. Bugs in apps can prevent apps from resuming correctly/quickly, while what happens when relaunching is entirely up to the app. IMHO this just isn't reliable and consistent enough.

1jaxstate1

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
Just watched the 10 minute video on CB. I like the OS even more. The way you unlock the screen is sweet! The icons are static, I find boring. I would give it a shot, if it wasn't for the app situation. I feel that's the one thing that will hold both WP and BB back. Who ever gets better 3rd party app support will win the battle for 3rd place.

FinancialP

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
You two aren't talking about the same thing. Paul is talking about app switching from the app switcher, while you are talking about app launching from the start screen.

I think Paul's argument would be that if you don't want to reload an app, then don't relaunch it from the start screen. Simple as that. Use the app switcher instead, as intended by the OS.

Despite that, I do think MS has completely screwed up app launching/resuming in WP8, because it isn't deterministic. What actually happens when launching/resuming isn't controlled by the OS, but rather by each individual app. Bugs in apps can prevent apps from resuming correctly/quickly, while what happens when relaunching is entirely up to the app. IMHO this just isn't reliable and consistent enough.

It shouldn't matter where I launch the app from. Not if I just left the app! I shouldn't have to sit through a new launch.

iOS doesn't do this
Android doesn't do this
Now Blackberry doesn't do this

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb