Fix for bricked 920's after reset. Flash Process defined inside!

oldpueblo

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
Hi thread, haven't been here in awhile. Just traded my 1020 to my sister-in-law for her 920 since she valued the camera more and I was never happy with the wireless charging shell getting in the way of a nice case. Anyhow I of course hit the cogs on the 920 when we reset it, but I just reset it several times (with pauses inbetween) via power/vol down, and plugged it into the computer once for kicks, and it came back eventually just like all the other 920 resets I've done. So yes the software method above is nice, but not always necessary. I think it's just a timing thing and a power bit that needs to be flipped at some point.

belgiantrotter

Feb 2, 2013
Visit site
great just great
phone discharged in 3 hours time... completely dead and now its stuck in a reboot cycle... it does not do anything except reboot... it does not seem to be charging

what a piece of utter crap and this on christmas eve
thanks microsoft, thanks nokia

does this thread still work?
downloaded the files again. the navifirm does not work. it gives an error
the nokia care won't install either

seems to be my lucky day

iponxonik

Jan 14, 2014
Visit site
My Lumia 920 is not bricked, but the touchscreen is unresponsive. It's been 3 days now. I've been soft reset the phone the whole time.
It all start about some weeks ago when my phone's touchscreen suddenly unresponsive.. A few soft reset fixed it.
A few days later I had to restart my phone. After restart the touchscreen stop working again. After a lot of soft reset, it's normal again.
I have a normal phone for a few days, until one day it restarting by itself, and like always, it's normal again after about an hour of soft resetting..
And for about 2 weeks it's all normal, until I had to do a restart, because the camera turns green everytime I start the Camera Apps, and the orientation sensor stopped working. And it's been 3 whole days of soft reset. No joy.
Then I found this page. I'm thingking about re-flashing my phone.
I followed your steps, but stucked in the RETRY button on the Recovery window.
I followed your step on youtube: click the Retry button and then rebooting the phone, and push the volume up until the screen showing the Cog Wheel. The phone never showing the Nokia Logo on the screen. And the Recovery window is back again showing the Retry button.
I'm using Windows XP by the way. Is that a problem?

Paperweight920

Feb 1, 2014
Visit site
I flashed my phone from AT&T stock yesterday after Nokia Black bricked it. It is currently operating on the unbranded French ROM.

Another user whose phone was also rendered unusable by Nokia Black took their phone to the Microsoft Store, where they attempted to re-install stock OS and cure the problem. When they were unsuccessful, they replaced the phone.

The nearest Microsoft store is an hour away from me. My question is, should I go over and see if they can help me out, or will I be turned down for flashing my phone? Does anyone have experience with this?

jes1888

Mar 8, 2011
Visit site
I flashed my phone from AT&T stock yesterday after Nokia Black bricked it. It is currently operating on the unbranded French ROM.

Another user whose phone was also rendered unusable by Nokia Black took their phone to the Microsoft Store, where they attempted to re-install stock OS and cure the problem. When they were unsuccessful, they replaced the phone.

The nearest Microsoft store is an hour away from me. My question is, should I go over and see if they can help me out, or will I be turned down for flashing my phone? Does anyone have experience with this?

I dont know about your question, but for the bricked phone i did this and it worked so i will share it with you. Mine's a L920 from at&t and i have everything perfect, just like before, only with the new lumia black in it. Good luck ;)

How to fix the Lumia reset spinning cogs at home : My Nokia Blog

oldpueblo

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
I dont know about your question, but for the bricked phone i did this and it worked so i will share it with you. Mine's a L920 from at&t and i have everything perfect, just like before, only with the new lumia black in it. Good luck ;)

How to fix the Lumia reset spinning cogs at home : My Nokia Blog

Having had the cogs issue many times across many different 920's, I have to say this is by far the quickest/easiest route. I just bought a 928 for cheap off of craigslist because it had the cogs issue and the owner didn't want to deal with fixing it. Fire up that app, download the ROM, flashed it, done!

jes1888

Mar 8, 2011
Visit site
yeah, basically you can buy phones thru ebay or craig that dont work because of "spinning cogs" for cheap and resell them later!!

Bkr11

Sep 22, 2011
Visit site
I know I'm responding to an old thread, but just an FYI. I was having no joy w/ the recovery tool until I read the link above closely. No matter how many times I tried it the phone simply wouldn't be seen by my PC long enough to engage the download. Low and behold I tried a different USB port and different USB cord and it finally worked. So before you give up (like I almost did) try to isolate all those variables. Just sharing my experience.

Isma El

Mar 11, 2014
Visit site
help please!

i have being reading for hours fo 3 days on the road, unsuccessfully getting an answer!
i got lumia 920 from "rogers" canada, i was able to install "att" software (didnt work pretty well on internet connection) after 6 months, decided to try others ROM.
i was able to come back to "rogers", but i really need is to install software from costa rica if posible 3047.0000.1326.2001 RM-821 VAR AMERICA CR KOLBI BLACK (059T074)

no matter how many times i tried got:

0xFA001304: Platform ID check fails. Reason(s): The FFU file is not meant for this product. The platform ID of image does not match with platform ID of the device.

Exception:
Nokia.CareSuite.PlugIns.MurzimRecovery.RecoveryDialog.MurzimProgrammingException: 0xFA001304: Platform ID check fails. Reason(s): The FFU file is not meant for this product. The platform ID of image does not match with platform ID of the device.

at Nokia.CareSuite.PlugIns.MurzimRecovery.RecoveryDialog.RecoveryDialogModel.Flash()
at Nokia.CareSuite.PlugIns.MurzimRecovery.RecoveryDialog.RecoveryDialogModel.<HandleDownloadVariantPackageCompleted>b__b(Object state)

as you can see i had flash before, i tried changing the folder to RM-820 as well.
You are my last hope! before giving up!

sachamo

Jul 4, 2013
Visit site
I've got all the software set up as described in the instructions, but I'm having problems when plugging the phone in via USB.
When I plug it in, Windows 8 makes the 'new thing just got plugged in' sound but then almost immediately it makes the 'something got unplugged' sound, and it basically cycles between the two and it's impossible for it to stay plugged in long enough for the software to flash the phone. I've tried a million combinations of buttons on the phone, but it keeps getting unplugged in the middle of being detected by the software.

What can I do to stop this?

Thanks a lot, any help would be greatly appreciated :)

Try using a windows 7 32bit machine. I also had the same issue with windows 8. But when i tried with a Windows 7 computer it worked fine and it was detected and flashed the phone perfectly.

Last edited:

vukmania

Apr 18, 2013
Visit site
I was thinking of making a reset on my L920 since its pretty clogged up, it doesn't run as smoothly as before.

My question to you guys is, is this necessary since 8.1 will soon arrive? Or will the laggyness continue?

Michael_B74

Dec 14, 2014
Visit site
Lumia 920 still bricked ...

Hi all,

After reading the whole forum for the entire day and numerous attempts to un-brick my phone, I'm giving up and asking for your kind expertise. What I've done so far:

• left the phone charging with the factory charger (which is working well on my other Lumia) for almost 24 hours (nothing happens, neither the phone nor the charger are getting warm which they normally do when charging
  • tried all the button tricks
  • downloaded both the windows phone recovery software and Nokia Care Suite
  • downloaded the correct firmware thanks to helpful links on this forum
I know that both the recovery software and Nokia Care Suite are working properly as the both recognize my other Lumia. But the one in question remains dead. So I guess, the battery went flat beyond charging ability thus nothing happens.

Where do I go from here? Service center? Change the battery by myself and voiding warranty? Any help is very much appreciated!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cagkles124